Mad

The Fugitives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

45 | Mad

 

***

 

As the car glides to a halt at the red light, Taeyeon's gaze drifts outward, landing on a bustling billboard displaying the latest TV news. Instantly captivated, he reaches for his phone nestled in his jacket pocket, only to find a flurry of messages from friends, including Ji-Eun, all centered around Tiffany.

 

"Oh, damn," he cursed aloud, his frustration evident. Without bothering to reply to the messages, he swiftly dialed Tiffany's number. "Hey, what's happening over there?" he inquired the moment she answered.

 

["It's all good, just a regular day,"] she reassured him calmly.

 

"Don't go out often. I mean, for the meantime." 

 

[No need to fret. I haven't even considered venturing beyond this neighborhood around the Villa. And honestly, neighbors are probably too wrapped up in their own lives to pay attention to any news."]

 

"Just in case, put on a baseball cap if you go out with Da-On." He suggested her.

 

[I know. Have you reached work?]

 

"Not quite yet. I'm still on my way. Just heading to my café first. So, meeting folks at the office isn't a concern for me."

 

[That's reassuring. I'm confident this will blow over. Let's just take it in stride and not blow it out of proportion.]

 

"I'll be home at lunchtime."

 

[Well, I guess I've got even more reasons to cozy up at home, huh?] She chuckled in her next message. [What would you like me to whip up for lunch?]

 

"Hmm, nothing specific comes to mind. But, um..." He paused, contemplating, and then his eyes caught sight of someone on the side of the road enjoying a takeaway pasta, sparking a sudden craving. "How about whipping up some creamy pasta?" He requested as he got excited.

 

[Nice! I'll make an Italian style then.]

 

"Say hello to Da-On from me."

 

[Yeah, sure. See you later, baby.]

 

"See you, my love. Be careful out there, okay?"

 

[Noted!]

 

After ending the call, he let out a soft sigh of relief. "What can I do to put an end to this?" he muttered, still fixated on the news about the girls. Suddenly, he recalled Yuri's message that he hadn't yet checked. With a sense of urgency, he reached for his phone and quickly scanned through her message.

 

Yuri: Call me when you read this.

 

He didn't think twice and swiped to the side to call him urgently.

 

***

 

Entering the convenience store, Da-On and Tiffany meander down each aisle with ease, scanning shelves for the perfect ingredients for their pasta dish. Da-On, relishing a fruit candy on a stick, keeps pace with his mother, taking in the array of products with curiosity. As they approach the counter, he suddenly notices that his snack has vanished, having enjoyed it without realizing its swift disappearance.

 

"Omma, can I grab a bottle of water?" Da-On requested.

 

"I've already placed two in the basket, no need to worry," Tiffany assured her son. She waited patiently as the cashier scanned the last item and started packing it into a plastic bag. "Thank you," she said, handing over the cash to pay for their purchases and accepting the plastic bag.

 

"Wait just a moment," the cashier interjected abruptly. Stepping away from the counter, she made her way to a nearby shelf stocked with energy drinks. After retrieving a box of them and a bag of macaroons, she returned to Da-On and Tiffany.

 

"Um, I never mentioned buying those," she exclaimed, caught off guard.

 

The lady smiled warmly as she carefully packed the items into a plastic bag. Then, with a gentle gesture, she shared a photo of her daughter, who worked in a hotel. "I'm not sure if you remember her, but she's one of the employees from the hotel that was rescued," she recounted with deep emotion. "I cannot express enough gratitude to you and your friends for saving her that day. She's my everything, my only daughter, and her safety means the world to me... I will be forever indebted to you and your friends for preserving her life," she expressed, bowing respectfully in front of Tiffany.

 

Tiffany stood in astonishment, slightly agape, rendered momentarily speechless by the unexpected gesture. Yet, her heart swelled with gratitude at the touching acknowledgment. "I... had no idea you recognized me," she murmured, touched by the woman's kindness.

 

"The video was crystal clear, and you truly resemble one of those girls. Please, accept this small token of my gratitude," the lady insisted, nudging the large plastic bag gently toward Tiffany.

 

"Um, th-thank you," Tiffany stammered, her voice wavering slightly as she accepted the bag reluctantly. 

 

"Omma, do you know that lady?" Da-On inquired innocently.

 

"Hi!" The lady waved cheerfully at him, and he responded with a cute smile and a wave of his own. "Oh, I bet you'd love some popsicles," she exclaimed before hurrying away from the counter and jogging over to the freezer.

 

Tiffany hesitated, considering declining, but the sight of Da-On's excited smile quickly changed her mind. "Would you like some?" she asked, her resolve softened by his enthusiasm.

 

"Yes," Da-On replied with an adorable smile.

 

"It's another sweet treat, just remember to brush your teeth once we get home, okay?"

 

"Yes, Omma." 

 

She chuckled softly, and at that moment, the lady returned with the popsicle for Da-On and an ice cream for her. "Thank you," she said with a shy smile, feeling touched by the thoughtful gesture.

 

"Thank you, Ahjumma," Da-On bowed his head respectfully, expressing his gratitude with a polite gesture.

 

"No, thank you for being there when my daughter and her colleagues needed help," the lady responded with a warm smile, expressing her sincere gratitude.

 

"Don't mention it," Tiffany replied, bowing once again before she and Da-On stepped out of the convenience store. "Aigoo, we left the villa empty-handed and returned with bags full," she remarked, unable to believe that one mother recognized her. It was a heartwarming moment that she would cherish.

 

***

 

Despite arriving slightly behind schedule, Seohyun breathed a sigh of relief as she managed to slip onto the train. It had been a challenge concealing her identity with a black face mask and a baseball cap, all while avoiding unwanted attention. She had been bombarded with questions at the bus stop and on the bus itself, enduring at least six inquiries from curious strangers. Now, as she settled into her seat on the train bound for Yoona's district, she hoped to blend into the background. With her mask securely in place and music playing softly in her ears, she sought solace in the anonymity of the crowded carriage.

 

After a mere thirty minutes, she emerged unscathed from the train ride, having evaded the prying eyes of strangers. Exiting the subway station, she embarked on the short stroll to the apartment building. It was within walking distance, rendering any thought of hailing a cab unnecessary.

 

As she stepped into the building, she was promptly questioned about the resident she was visiting and the purpose of her visit.

 

"Im Yoona. He isn't around but I have to get my stuff in his apartment, so I hope I can get them without hassle."

 

"Excuse me, Ma'am," the receptionist inquired, her brows furrowing slightly. "Could you please clarify your relationship with the resident? And may I have your name?"

 

Seohyun sensed the receptionist's subtle urge for her to reveal her face fully, likely as part of the building's security protocol. However, she opted to keep her mask on. "I'm his girlfriend," she responded truthfully, maintaining her anonymity. "My name is Seohyun," she added, introducing herself.

 

"I see. Just a moment, please," the lady responded, swiftly entering Seohyun's name into their log system before dialing Yoona's number. "Mr. Im, a name called Seohyun is appar—" 

 

"[Let her in. She's my girlfriend]," Yoona interjected before the receptionist could finish her sentence, cutting to the chase.

 

"I see. You're all set to go in," the lady said, offering a friendly smile as she gestured toward the lift.

 

Seohyun offered a slight bow before making her way directly to the elevator, where she pressed the button for the sixth floor. "This building's security is no joke," she muttered under her breath, feeling a twinge of annoyance. However, she acknowledged that stringent security measures were necessary for the high-profile residents of the luxurious apartments, comprising celebrities, politicians, and businessmen, all requiring constant protection.

 

As the elevator doors slid open on the sixth floor, Seohyun inadvertently collided with a young teenage boy, who reacted by shoving her aside, taking her by surprise.

 

"Are you blind?!" the boy exclaimed sharply.

 

"I apologize," Seohyun said immediately. "I didn't see you there."

 

"Seriously?" The boy retorted, his tone incredulous. "You might as well be blind with that thing on your head." With a swift motion, he slapped her baseball cap off, but Seohyun managed to catch it just in time.

 

"Hey, young lad, did you just do that to me?" Seohyun couldn't let it slide without asserting herself. "Looks like your mother forgot to teach you some manners, huh?" she mocked, her tone tinged with sarcasm.

 

As the boy cursed under his breath and turned to leave, Seohyun quickly reached out and grabbed his arm, halting his departure.

 

"Apologize for that," Seohyun demanded firmly, her tone unwavering.

 

"Why would I apologize? You're the one who bumped into me, Miss," the boy retorted sharply, abruptly pulling his arm away and shoving her once again.

 

Seohyun stumbled backward, shooting the boy a fierce glare. Stepping forward, she loomed over him, her expression steely. "Do you really want to see me angry, young lad?" she warned, her voice tinged with frustration.

 

"Yes, weirdo!" the boy retorted defiantly, poised to push her once more. Seohyun swiftly seized his wrist, deftly turning him around and twisting his arm in one fluid motion. "Ow! Let go! I'm going to call my mom!" he cried out in pain, his bravado faltering.

 

"Now who's the baby boy, huh? All tough on the outside, but a mama's boy deep down? Your friends probably don't know, do they?" Seohyun taunted, her grip firm as the boy struggled against her.

 

"Aish, let me go!" the boy persisted, continuing to demand while attempting to break free from her grasp until she finally pushed him away.

 

"Do that again to someone older than you, and you won't get off so lightly," Seohyun warned sternly before turning to walk away as she wore the cap smoothly. The boy, now massaging his left arm, could only enter the lift with a sense of quiet regret for picking a fight with a stranger.

 

***

 

Exhausted, Jessica sinks onto the bus stop bench, her weariness palpable as she watches passengers board the bus with lifeless movements. The thought of returning home feels daunting; the weight of sadness has pressed down on her ever since her aunt's passing two years prior. Earlier, she had been b with anticipation to reconnect with her Aunt as the girl she once cared for, only to be met with heartbreaking news from her aunt's daughter. Yet, what compounds her despair is the revelation that her husband, the source of it all, is incarcerated, serving his sentence behind bars.

 

"When you finally rid yourself of those who hinder your happiness, there's a fleeting moment of hope that everything will be better, only to realize that joy is transient, like the passing of a comet in the night sky."

 

Jessica drew in a deep breath, willing herself to hold it together as she clutched her bag tightly against her chest. The memories of her late aunt weighed heavily on her mind, each thought a dagger to her heart. The pain was becoming unbearable, a slow poison gnawing away at her insides. With her head hung low, she silently battled her emotions, but as the last lady at the bus stop boarded the bus, she could no longer contain the flood of tears that overwhelmed her, and finally, she silently broke down.

 

As the sun dips below the horizon, casting hues of orange and pink across the sky, it seems to mirror the agony she bears, as though even nature itself shares in her suffering.

 

Amidst the chaos of her own trying day, Seohyun, weary from the trials of selling her paintings in a bustling park, notices a lone figure seated on a bench at the bus stop. Concern tugs at her heart, and as she draws closer, she recognizes the familiar strands of hair and the telltale black sneakers. "Unnie?" she calls out, hastening to her side with urgency.

 

"What happened?" She asked in concern.

 

Jessica's tears subside, and with a gentle lift of her gaze, she offers a weak smile. "Hey, Joohyun," she softly greets.

 

"Did someone hurt you?" The younger girl inquired with growing concern.

 

"No, I mean, yeah, but she doesn't know."

 

"Who? Tiffany Unnie?" 

 

Jessica managed a small smile as she shook her head. "How could she hurt me? We don't fight; we just bicker," she murmured softly, lowering her feet to the ground and wiping away the last traces of tears.

 

"But why were you crying? It wasn't because of Yuri Oppa, was it?" Seohyun reached into her messenger bag, retrieving her handkerchief to gently assist Jessica in wiping away her tears.

 

"Yuri shouldn't know about this, okay?"

 

"Okay. But-"

 

"I visited my Aunt's small pop-up bar near my old house. I thought I could finally reveal myself to her, tell her that I'm the same young girl she used to care for. But unfortunately, her daughter greeted me with sad news."

 

Seohyun slightly widened her eyes. "She passed?" 

 

Jessica managed a faint smile, though it carried a hint of pain. "It happened two years ago. It was her husband... he was the reason for it all."

 

"Omo," Seohyun gasped in disbelief. "I'm so sorry to hear that."

 

She released a heavy sigh. "Exactly how I felt." She was taken aback when Seohyun enveloped her in a hug, bringing her head to her shoulder. Though she wanted to express something, the weight of the pain became too much once more, and she found herself silently crying as Seohyun tenderly rubbed her arm for comfort.

 

***

 

Da-On greeted his father with a wave from outside the car as it maneuvered into the garage, finding its place beside Yuri's pair of vehicles. Anxious to get inside, Da-On dashed to the car door, eager to open it, while Taeyeon, from within, leisurely unlatched it, gently opening it for him.

 

"Why's my boy giving me such a warm welcome tonight?" Taeyeon inquired, a smile gracing his lips as he enveloped his son in a tender embrace.

 

"Mom isn't here," Da-On informed.

 

"Chincha? Did she go out to buy food again?" 

 

"Nope, Seohyun Noona called earlier and said it's urgent, so I have to stay behind," Da-On explained. "Yuri Appa is out there, talking to a new girl, Appa."

 

Taeyeon chuckled. "Oh? Who could that be?"

 

"She's a pretty girl. Do you know her?" Da-On asked innocently, his curiosity piqued.

 

"Is she the one with long hair?" Taeyeon guessed with a playful tone.

 

"Yes, just like Omma."

 

"With a fringe? And the color is brunette?"

 

"Yes, Yes." Da-On smiled cheerfully as he jumped.

 

"Then that's Lawyer Han."

 

"Chincha? She's pretty but Jessica Noona is prettier." 

 

Taeyeon smiled in amusement. "Indeed she is. I couldn't agree more," he remarked, before casually walking with his son to the front door.

 

"But will everything be okay? Yuri Appa with a new girl? Jessica Noona might be sad," Da-On expressed his concern. He couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't right, especially since he often witnessed the closeness and sweetness between Jessica Noona and Yuri Appa, akin to his own parents.

 

"Oh, it's not like that. Lawyer Han is just a friend, so there's nothing much to worry about," Taeyeon said reassuringly, gently giving his son a comforting rub on the head. As he opened the door, Da-On walked in first before he followed him inside.

 

"There he is," Yuri declared the moment he spotted his friend. He and Lawyer Han rose to their feet to greet him, while Da-On remained seated on the sofa.

 

"It's nice to see you back, Ms. Han," Taeyeon greeted with a friendly smile. "Um, did I miss anything?" he inquired, feeling the need to catch up with them.

 

"I suppose Yuri will be the one sharing it with you. Anyway, I'd like to recommend this wedding coordinator," Lawyer Han said, extending a business card to him.

 

"Oh, so Yuri spilled the beans about my engagement," he remarked, shooting Yuri a playful glare.

 

"Oops, my bad," Yuri grinned mischievously.

 

"Yeah, and I want to congratulate you by recommending the best coordinator I've encountered back then," Lawyer Han added warmly.

 

Taeyeon felt flattered by the recommendation. "Thank you, Ms. Han. I'll look into it," he replied graciously.

 

"Anyway, I should get going. Bye, Da-On," Lawyer Han said, waving her hand enthusiastically at the young boy, who responded by playfully covering his face with the cushion.

 

"I think he got shy," Taeyeon chuckled softly.

 

"Yeah, I guess so," Ms. Han remarked before giving a slight bow to the two gentlemen. With a maid assisting her, she made her way to the door.

 

"Be careful on the road," Yuri reminded, to which Ms. Han simply waved her hand without stopping in her tracks.

 

Once the lawyer had exited, Da-On put aside the cushion and looked up at Yuri. "Yuri Appa, is that your new gir?"

 

"What?" Yuri was taken aback. "Of course not," he chuckled, taking his seat on the sofa.

 

"She isn't, then she's not a friend too?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter