Part Time

The Fugitives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

04 | Part Time

 

***

 

Rolling the window car, Yuri let out a loud exhale as he comfortably laid his head on the car seat, looking out the window and enjoying the night sky. It's always a great feeling whenever he finishes his stressful work. But he's most especially happy at the moment knowing his only photo of his daughter is back in his care. 

 

As they pass through the bridge, he suddenly thought of his grandma whom he hasn't seen for a while.

 

"Let's visit grandma, Mr. Baek." He didn't think a second and ask his driver.

 

"Which grandma, Mr. Chairman?"

 

"Of course my grandma Kim." He chuckled softly. "Kim Sol, you know."

 

"Oh yeah." Mr. Baek smiled in embarrassment. He knew the young bachelor is fond of his mother's mother, who is the sweetest grandma he knew.

 

-

 

After an hour and thirty minutes of drive, they arrived at his grandma's place but before he can even step out of the car, he spotted her walking from the distance, holding two bags and looking like she had a rough day. 

 

"Grandma seemed to haven't stopped selling street food, Sir." Mr. Baek said as he glanced at Yuri from the rearview mirror.

 

"It's her life, it's no surprise at all." Yuri mumbles. He unlocks the door but before he can step out, he noticed a man is following his grandmother. Then before he knew it, the man grabs the bags and runs off. "What the." He instinctively rushed and meet the man halfway, pushing him off immediately and he fell to the ground, dropping the bags in the process. The man immediately gets up and runs away before he can hit him.

 

"Just right on time." Grandma Kim chuckles softly as she approached him.

 

"Are you alright, granny?" He asked in concern. 

 

"I should be the one asking, it's been a while, Yuri." Grandma reaches for his face and holds them gently. "You've been working your off, aren't you?"

 

He smiled genuinely. "I'm fine. I've missed you, Grandma." And hugged her gently. 

 

"I know you miss my ramen as well." 

 

He softly laugh as he pulled back. "Yes." He confirmed with a nod. 

 

Mr. Baek then approach them and grabs the bags as they walked inside the humble home of his grandmother.

 

***

 

While Jessica and Seohyun are singing their heart out inside the cab, Tiffany felt her phone vibrates and she excitedly takes it out, which made her even more excited when she reads it came from Taeyeon. 

 

Taeyeon The Cafe: I'm sorry if I just replied, I got busy with the left and right workload. keke. By the way, did you try to apply to my cafe?

 

"Did he read my last message?" She got confused.

 

"Wae?" Jessica stopped singing and look at her with raising eyebrows.

 

"He asked if I applied to his cafe." Tiffany scoffed. 

 

"He didn't read it, Unnie." Seohyun shakes her head in disappointment.

 

"Looks like. I'll just tell him again." Holding her phone in both hands, Tiffany types her response immediately.

 

It took only a couple of seconds and Taeyeon replied to her.

 

I did earlier.

 

Taeyeon The Cafe: Oh, I missed reading the previous message. My apologies. So did you get in?

 

Unfortunately no :(

 

"I wonder if he's going to hire you." Jessica giggles. 

 

"If he's interested, she would." Seohyun commented.

 

Taeyeon The Cafe: Oh, I'm sorry about that. I hope you don't take that personally. I'll try to talk to the managers. 

 

"I knew it." Jessica chirps. She began to tickle Tiffany and the latter hold her hands to stop her.

 

"We're in the cab, what are you doing?" Tiffany chuckled. "Let me reply to him. I mean, I don't think it's good to immediately agree with him."

 

"Right." Seohyun nodded.

 

"What?! Grab the chance, don't be hard to get." However, Jessica disagrees with the two.

 

"Yah, the plan is to get him as my friend, I can't give him an impression that I'm using him or something. Let's play hard to get then if he still insists, then so be it." Tiffany reasoned as she giggled. 

 

"He won't trust her if she immediately grabs it, Unnie." Seohyun explained further.

 

"Exactly! You're really my sister." Tiffany said and made a hi-5 with the youngest. They both giggle at the same time. 

 

Jessica slowly nodded as she now understand. "Okay, go ahead."

 

Without any doubts, Tiffany types her response in a fast manner and sent it with her eye-smiles forming on her features.

 

I don't think that's necessary. I respect their decisions and you know, they know better than I.

 

Taeyeon The Cafe: I'm glad you didn't take it badly :) 

 

"And he didn't insist. That's a good sign." Seohyun is impressed. 

 

So, what are you doing now, Mr. Kim?

 

"Flirty." Jessica commented upon reading the response from Tiffany.

 

"It's not, it's getting the conversation longer." Tiffany explained knowingly.

 

"You have dated how many from the past?" 

 

"None, Unnie." Seohyun answered on behalf of the latter. "She's badass to even date one." She proudly says earning chuckles from Tiffany.

 

"Oh yeah, it's the effect of watching romantic movies and reading novels." Jessica mentally reminded herself.

 

Just then, another response from Taeyeon came;

 

At home now, enjoying some coffee with my puppy :) How about you?

 

"He has a puppy. That's cute." Tiffany commented this time and it makes her more interested more of him. 

 

Jessica and Seohyun decided to give it to her and doesn't bother peeking on her phone anymore as they enjoy the ride once again.

 

***

 

After making sure his grandma has fallen asleep, Yuri carefully leaves her room and grabs the bag of containers that has side dishes prepared by his grandma. He stepped out of the house quietly and handed the bag to his driver. 

 

"Your secretary called, Mr. Chairman."

 

"What is it?" he asked as he casually stepped into the car.

 

Mr. Baek hastily put the bag in the trunk and reclined the driver's seat. "Your schedule for tomorrow changed. You're free in the morning but you have to attend the opening of the new branch of Kwon Building in the evening." He shared as he the engine.

 

Yuri was about to react when his phone vibrate under his pocket. He casually took it out and scoffed when Yoona's contact ID flashes on the screen. "What?" He answered as the car drives off.

 

[Meet me in my apartment right now.] Yoona ordered firmly.

 

"Why would I?" He raised his eyebrows in confusion.

 

[You owe me something! Don't you remember?]

 

"I..." He pause when he recalled his conversation last time with him. He got his friend to agree to the show after he promise he will buy him something whatever he likes. "Okay, okay, I remember it now. So what is this?"

 

[Chincha? Then can you buy me honey butter chips? I'm craving it right now.]

 

"What are you, pregnant?" He chuckled.

 

[Aish, don't go here without that. Otherwise, we're not friends anymore, Kwon Yuri.]

 

"Are you serious?"

 

[Of course. I took serious about the show, you should do the same. Anyway, I'll give you until 10pm only. Good luck!] 

 

As soon as the call ended, Yuri laughs, totally didn't expect the doe-eyed would only ask him that. "Mr. Baek, dropped by a convenience store and buy me a box of honey butter chips." But he ordered his driver nonetheless. 

 

"Right away, Sir." 

 

Just a couple of minutes later, Mr. Baek stopped by a random convenience store only to return to Yuri without any of it. "I'm sorry, Sir. They're out of it."

 

"What?" He exclaimed. "Is that snack so popular?"

 

"Looks like, Sir. Should we look for it in the next store?"

 

"Yes, kindly please." Yuri confirmed and the latter hastily left. Just a minute later, he frowned to find his driver leaving the next store and proceed to cross the road to look for the snack. "What the Yoona sure knows what to ask."

 

After thirty minutes, Mr. Baek returned with bad news. "I'll proceed to the next street, Sir." But he doesn't want to give up and drives off.

 

"I'll look for it this time, Mr. Baek." Yuri doesn't want to stress him and decided to tell him. "Hopefully we found one this time." He check the time and there was an hour left till ten in the evening. "Aish." He felt pressured.

 

-

 

Stepping out of the car, he jogs toward the store and browses their snacks immediately. He is reading each snack so he won't miss it but to no avail, he went straight to the cashier counter. "Do you guys have honey butter?" He asks the guy.

 

"Oh, sorry to say we've run out of it. The next delivery will be next week." The guy told him.

 

"It's fine." He didn't waste his time and stepped out of the store so he could start looking for another store. He found two across the road and almost immediately runs as he crosses it. 

 

The moment he entered the first store, he saw the snack inside someone's basket and quickly headed to their snack section, only to find out it was gone. The lady put all of them inside her basket.

 

"M-Miss." So he approach her, in the hope she could share some of them. The lady looks at him for him to immediately feel familiar with her face. "Have we... meet before?" he raised his eyebrows.

 

Jessica slightly widened her eyes. She cleared and shakes her head involuntarily.

 

"Oh, Uh, can you... I mean... the honey butter chips, can you share some for me? It looked like they're the las stock." 

 

"I'm sorry but my friend will kill me if I don't buy this for her." 

 

Yuri gasps. "What? B-But at least 1 you know. That's like ten and too many for your friend."

 

"You like this?" Jessica finds it adorable and she smiled teasingly.

 

Yuri chuckles as he shakes his head while cheeks are turning red. "My friend, he loves them and he wants me to buy it for him."

 

"No!" Jessica firmly replied and she attempted to pass through him when the latter dropped on his knees with his hands clasps.

 

"My life is on the line. Give me at least 1 please... Miss... I'm sure your friend wouldn't mind." Yuri begs while pouting cutely. "Pretty, please."

 

Jessica scoffed in disbelief. "I just mentioned, that my friend will kill me if I don't bring this to her. I mean, I lost our game, I have... do it." She pass through him successfully. But much to her surprise, Yuri followed her to the counter.

 

"How about I buy them all for you and you have to give me three of it." Yuri smiled so brightly while showing three fingers. "It's a good deal, isn't it?"

 

"You're that desperate?" Jessica let out a soft chuckle. 

 

"Yes." Yuri nodded vigorously.

 

"No." However, Jessica still insists. She began to put all the snacks on the counter.

 

"Okay, I give you make the deal. I'll agree to it immediately." 

 

"You're totally crazy."

 

"I'm serious." Yuri said seriously.

 

Rolling her eyes, Jessica looked back at him again with a snicker. She remembers his company's message to her, she's annoyed. But she suddenly got an idea. "Fine, you pay for this and you get three of it. Only if you can catch me my favorite stuff toy to the claw machine outside." She smirk.

 

"Deal!" Yuri stretched out his hand without a doubt.

 

"Good." Jessica didn't waste a second and shake their hands. 

 

Yuri handed his card to the cashier guy immediately once he was done placing it to the plastic. But Jessica didn't give him any bag of snack yet as the latter headed outside. He followed excitedly.

 

"That small tortoise, can you catch it?" Jessica pointed at the stuffed toy, smiling brightly.

 

Yuri's face turned pale when he realized it was like the smallest stuff toy inside the machine. "You-you're... not kidding me, are you?"

 

"Of course not. You ask me to make the deal then you have to do it, otherwise, no honey butter chips for you."

 

"But that's too small to catch easily." Yuri complained with some gestures.

 

"Well, as you said, your life depends on the snack, right? Then do as I ask." Jessica smiled mischievously. 

 

Speechless and agape, Yuri slowly returned his eyes to the machine and check his wristwatch. There are only fifteen minutes till ten in the evening. "Can I get the snacks first before I catch it?" He offered. "My friend will unfriend me if I don't really bring that freaking honey butter."

 

"Until what time?"

 

"Ten."

 

Jessica checks her watch as well and nodded. "Okay, I consider. But..." She glanced at her driver nearby. "Your drive is going to give it to your friend, not you. You're staying here to catch my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter