The Reason

The Fugitives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Reason

 

***

 

Taeyeon, Yuri, and Yoona were engrossed in their laptop tasks when the door unexpectedly swung open, jolting them from their concentration. A cohort of men clad in elegant tuxedos strolled in, appearing as though they were searching for someone within the room. However, no one acknowledged their presence until an elderly gentleman entered, breaking the silence.

 

"Father." Yuri snapped to attention upon seeing his father, instinctively taking a step back as his friends gravitated toward him. "What brings you here?"

 

"Whoa, this is your hideout?" Mr. Kwon surveyed the surroundings, his gaze landing on a whiteboard adorned with photos of fugitives alongside snapshots from New York.

 

Taeyeon and Yoona swiftly seized the board, flipping it to conceal its contents from Yuri's father.

 

"No need to conceal it, you guys. I'm well aware of everything about those girls now," Mr. Kwon added, settling into his seat on the sofa.

 

"So what do you want?" Yuri asks anxiously.

 

"I just want to make sure everything's alright... I mean, you especially."

 

"I'm always doing fine," Yuri affirmed, though his eyes shot glares at his father.

 

"How about you, Yoona and Taeyeon?" Mr. Kwon smiled slyly at them. Both boys echoed the same sentiment, "Well, you guys are old enough now to take care of yourselves, right?"

 

"Please, if you have nothing to say, just leave," Yuri warned sternly.

 

"Oh, can you fight against my men, Yuri?"

 

"No, but I can call a backup."

 

"Secretary Cha, you mean?" Mr. Kwon chuckled sarcastically. "I thought you had already dismissed him for stealing some money?"

 

Yuri took a deep breath, exhaling slowly as he responded, "It doesn't matter. He promised to repay me, and he's been by my side for as long as I can remember."

 

"Of course, he's practically your second father, isn't he? It's easy to forgive someone like that, but you couldn't do it for me," Mr. Kwon taunted his son. "But speaking of money, I want to make a deal with you," he added, gesturing for his son to take a seat.

 

Yuri reluctantly complied, while his friends stood to the side. "If this keeps you away from my life, then so be it," he declared, unafraid of his dad. He was determined to do whatever it took to liberate himself from his toxic father.

 

"It's a minor ask. Just your shares in the Kwon Hotel and the Golf Club. Give me your shares, and I won't stir up trouble regarding your pursuit of the fugitives," Mr. Kwon proposed, signaling to one of his men to bring out the folder.

 

Reluctantly, Yuri accepted it from his men and scrutinized every detail of the contract. "You're taking every penny I have in the hotel?" he frowned.

 

'What a freaking greedy man.' Taeyeon thought.

 

"Well, that's minuscule compared to the shares you hold in the entire Kwon Group. I have no intention of taking the others; the hotel is my only chance for a takeover. As we all know, my father—your grandpa—was the original chairman and founder. The only catch is, he transferred it to you, not to me. As for the golf club, it could be a suitable venture for your mother to take charge of, considering her passion for golfing. How does that sound?" Mr. Kwon arrogantly smiled much to Yoona's annoyance.

 

Yuri sighed heavily as he perused the contract once more, realizing it would transfer his shares to his father. If he signed it, he would relinquish control of the two businesses. However, it wouldn't impact his position as the chairman, given that he still held the majority of shares in the ten businesses of Kwon Group, encompassing shipping lines and Kwon Food.

 

Taeyeon and Yoona crouched down to inspect the contract, both shooting disapproving looks at Yuri.

 

"We can't be certain he'll uphold his current promise. There should be an additional agreement for that," Taeyeon pondered, taking into account the unpredictability of Mr. Kwon.

 

"I concur. Instruct him to come back tomorrow; we'll arrange for a lawyer to draft another deal," Yoona recommended.

 

"Whoa, you guys are sharp," Mr. Kwon couldn't resist clapping his hands arrogantly. "I've never encountered friends quite like yours, Yul. Always thinking ahead, aren't they?"

 

"Yeah, and I'm just so lucky to have a father like you," Yuri taunted his father, earning a laugh. "You heard what they said. Just bring back this folder tomorrow, so it's a fair decision for both parties," he handed the folder back to the tall stranger next to the sofa, and the latter accepted it slowly.

 

"As long as you sign my contract, then I'm on board." Mr. Kwon got up and flashed a smile. "Good night, gentlemen," he said, exiting the room.

 

 

However, the moment he stepped outside, the bodyguards wasted no time and launched into a merciless assault on Yuri, Taeyeon, and Yoona, the cacophony of thuds and groans echoing from the trio. Outnumbered three to ten, they had no chance of fighting back.

 

 

Yuri sighed, vividly recalling the night he relinquished control of the two businesses to his father, a decision that cost him billions of dollars. As he stared at his smartphone's screen, the contact ID flashed, bringing back memories from five years ago. The bruises he and his friends sustained during that ordeal had landed them in the hospital for three months.

 

The abrupt noise of the truck's door opening jolted him back to reality, prompting him to swiftly turn off his phone to evade a potential call from his father. He then extended a helping hand to Jessica, who was grappling with the drinks and fast food she had bought. 

 

"Why don't we just eat in your house?" he suggested.

 

"Nope, I don't want Da-On catching me indulging in fast food. It's off-limits for him, and Tiffany keeps a close eye on his health," Jessica explained, unwrapping the burger.

 

Yuri smiled momentarily as he unwrapped his burger. However, before he could take a bite, she surprised him by raising her burger as if making a toast. "What's this all about?"

 

"It's a toast for our partnership," Jessica declared, her cheerful smile unwavering as she took a hearty bite of her cheeseburger. "I haven't had fast food in a while, so I just want to savor this. Plus, it's been such a busy day for us; I couldn't resist," she explained between bites.

 

Yuri chuckled, casually grabbing a napkin to wipe the ketchup that had spread to the corner of Jessica's lips. She looked at him in surprise. "Yah, you eat so messy, tsk," he reasoned before swiftly returning to his burger, smiling giddily to himself.

 

"Whatever," Jessica muttered, nonchalantly savoring her food.

 

"But you know what? We're practically still a couple. The letter didn't inform me of a breakup; instead, it was like you just left or ghosted me."

 

"Ugh, let's not talk about that, please. Let's focus on the project instead," she complained immediately.

 

"You still like me, don't you?" Yuri asked boldly, prompting Jessica to scoff without offering a response. "Silence means yes," he teased.

 

Jessica playfully hit his arm in response. "No, satisfied?"

 

"Nope. I'll make you say yes," he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

 

"Ugh, come on, don't do such thing that would-"

 

"It's harmless, I promise." Yuri seriously yet genuinely interrupted.

 

She was left speechless and agape. 'I can't believe this man,' she thought. 'He's definitely not the Yuri I knew back then.' Deciding to avoid further conversation, she returned to her burger.

 

Yuri chose to remain silent as he gazed outside, captivated by the brilliant stars that adorned the night sky. Surprisingly, the town boasted a clear sky, a sight he hadn't witnessed in many of the places he had visited. "Beautiful." he unconsciously utters.

 

Jessica didn't hesitate and nudged him. 

 

"What?" He chuckled in confusion.

 

"Just shut up." She angrily instructed.

 

"I meant the sky is beautiful. Do you think I'm talking about you?" Yuri chuckled in amusement.

 

Jessica peered outside and acknowledged that it was indeed a beautiful night, much to her embarrassment. Her cheeks flushed, and she found it difficult to meet Yuri's gaze.

 

"Don't worry, you're prettier," he whispered, leaning into her ear and earning another playful hit that he deftly dodged. "You're so much fun to tease."

 

Jessica sighed in defeat. "Whatever you say," she conceded, growing tired of the banter. All she wanted was a peaceful night.

 

"Oh, look, Taeyeon and Tiffany just passed by." Yuri knew his rented car well and was surprised to see it just pass them in the park.

 

"That means we should wrap this up and head home to follow them." Jessica declared, taking a big bite and continuing until she finished her food. She sipped a couple more times on her cola before finally buckling her seat belt.

 

Yuri left his burger unfinished as he started the engine, taking the wheel and driving the truck this time.

 

***

 

Tiffany's spirits were lifted by an invigorating shower as she made her way to the bedroom. There, she discovered her son gleefully playing with a new toy on their bed, adding an extra layer of joy to her day.

 

"Did a fellow child at the orphanage gift you that?" she inquired, settling into her seat before the mirror and commencing the task of drying her hair with a hair dryer.

 

"Nope, it was a gift from Yoona Appa," Da-On replied, a cheerful smile lighting up his face. It's a Spiderman toy that transforms into a spider.

 

Tiffany's attention shifted to her son. "Really? That seems quite pricey, sweetheart."

 

"No, it's cheap."

 

"Absolutely not. I've never come across a Spiderman that transforms into a spider."

 

Da-On giggled as he descended from the bed and approached his mother. "Do you want to play with me, Omma?" he inquired, flashing a cheerful smile.

 

"Um... maybe next time. We're getting ready to sleep, sweetie. Head back to bed," she instructed, and Da-On casually complied. 'Aish, I need to remind them not to spoil him,' she thought before returning to drying her hair.

 

Putting the toy aside, Da-On reclined on the bed and snugly tucked himself under the comforter, his eyes fixed on his mother. "Will Taeyeon Appa be back tomorrow morning?" he inquired eagerly, already anticipating another ride in the car. The previous experience was so fun that he couldn't wait to do it again.

 

"I doubt it; he'll be coming after lunch," Tiffany replied without glancing at her son. "Why? You've been enjoying the rides, haven't you?"

 

"Yes, I love the car too. It's so cool, Omma."

 

"Ugh, that car isn't his. It was Yuri's."

 

"Yuri Appa?" Da-On innocently creased his eyebrows.

 

"Yes, and I'm sure he's going to drive it tomorrow."

 

He pouted sadly. "Okay."

 

Tiffany paused in her task to check on her son. "You never know, Yuri might be here early in the morning, right? And will give you a ride."

 

"Really?" Da-On's bright face lit up again. "I'm thrilled! I want to see Yuri Appa early in the morning too."

 

"Seems like he's enjoying all three of them." Tiffany thought, offering a sweet smile to her son before returning to her hair dryer.

 

"Good night, Omma."

 

"Too early?"

 

"Yes, so I can wake up early and meet Yuri Appa," Da-On explained with an adorable smile, closing his eyes while maintaining that cheerful expression.

 

After completing the hair drying, Tiffany's gaze returned to her son, noticing the radiant smile on his face. She casually joined him in bed, cuddling comfortably. "Good night, my love," she whispered, planting a tender kiss on his head before drifting into his dreamland alongside him.

 

***

 

[The next morning]

 

"Bye, bye! Da-On's heading to school now,"

 

an enthusiastic voice from Da-On immediately greeted Seohyun the moment she stepped into the living room. Although she was supposed to drive him as part of her morning routine, she found herself watching from the outside as he sat inside the Lamborghini car, waving his hand to Tiffany. "Yesterday was Taeyeon, now it's Yuri." she softly says.

 

"I agree, right? He seems to be absolutely enjoying his rides in the car," Jessica commented, amazed by the special treatment Da-On was receiving from the guys.

 

Seated beside the older woman, Seohyun shook her head in disbelief. "It's not just the car rides; he genuinely enjoys his time with them," she said, sounding completely incredulous.

 

"I know, right? I just hope he won't become too attached; he might end up in tears when they leave for Seoul," she said, expressing her concern.

 

"Are you girls ready for work?" Tiffany inquired the moment she stepped back inside. 

 

"I don't have an early shift today," Seohyun clarified, dismissing the inquiry.

 

"I'm here waiting for the town hall staff; they're coming to check the space we've allocated for the dogs," explained Jessica, who had also shared her schedule.

 

"Ah, that leaves me as the only one with a scheduled class," Tiffany remarked as she ascended the stairs.

 

"But are you still involved in the project?" Jessica inquired loudly.

 

"Absolutely! That'll be after lunch," Tiffany's voice came from upstairs in response.

 

Just then, Seohyun received a message from Yoona, prompting Jessica to quickly check and read it as well.

 

Yoona: My body is in pain right now after yesterday's work. I don't think I'll be able to continue retrieving the flyers. Perhaps, I'll finish them all tomorrow.

 

"What? You made him do the work?" Jessica chuckled in disbelief.

 

"He chose to help me; I didn't force him," Seohyun strongly defended herself. "I didn't anticipate his assistance until sunset. However, it wasn't enough; there are still flyers out there."

 

"Hey, how did you manage to distribute all those flyers throughout the town with that amount?" Jessica asked in curiosity, finding it somewhat unbelievable that the younger woman had succeeded in spreading them so widely.

 

"I received some assistance from the locals, especially those working on the farm. They were kind enough to lend a hand that day."

 

Jessica laughed and shook her head. "You're allowing just one person to help you? I can't believe it."

 

"It was a seemingly minor task, and I was unaware that he had never tackled such a challenge before in his life."

 

"He's a chairman, I doubt he has work in construction even."

 

"Indeed, Chairmen typically confine themselves to the executive chair, merely signing papers," Seohyun giggles. "That's where he belongs, given his insistence on it." She expresses no regrets regarding the outcome of Yoona's decision.

 

"Jeez." Unable to resist, Jessica playfully pinched the younger woman's cheek before rising and heading to the kitchen to prepare their breakfast. Meanwhile, Seohyun found herself rereading the message, contemplating how she would craft her response.

 

***

 

"I'm Kwon Yuri, and I'm here to pick up Da-On," Yuri confidently introduced himself to the young teacher, who suddenly became a bit shy upon his unexpected arrival.

 

"Da-On, it seems you have quite a lineup of handsome fathers," the teacher playfully remarked as she shook hands with Yuri. "I'm Da-On's teacher, Jennifer Smith. It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir," she said, offering a shy smile while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

"The pleasure is mine, Ma'am," Yuri responded before crouching down to adjust Da-On's uniform and hair. "Da-On, remember our plan for later, alright? I'll be waiting," he gently reminded.

 

"Football game at 4 in the afternoon," Da-On whispered into his ear, accompanied by a charming smile that instantly lit up his face.

 

Yuri nodded, giving his shoulder a gentle tap. "See you then. Have a great day at school," he said, waving his hand. Da-On reminded him of his little angel from the past, and being with him brought a sense of comfort he hadn't experienced before.

 

"Yes, Yuri Appa. Bye-bye! See you later!" Da-On waved his hand enthusiastically as he made his way inside the building.

 

Pulling himself up with a cheerful smile and a friendly wave to the young boy, Yuri turned to leave as soon as the latter disappeared into his classroom. As he casually walked to his car, he noticed a group of locals, teenagers, snapping photos of it. Their expressions hinted at awe and excitement. Rather than scolding them, he decided to stay back, patiently waiting until they finished capturing moments with his car in photos and selfies.

 

"You're a celebrity now, Ms. Bee?" he softly chuckled as he buckled up in his car, playfully referring to the car's name. Retrieving his phone from the side, he checked if Jessica had messaged him. To his surprise, she had already sent a series of photos from the town hall staff. Quickly putting aside his phone, he accelerated, creating a loud roar of the car as he rushed off.

 

***

 

"Teacher Young, thank you."

 

"Teacher Young, look I got you chocolates."

 

"Ms. Young thank you for the snack."

 

"Teacher Young would you like some biscuits?"

 

As Tiffany bid farewell to each student, she found herself inundated with endearing "teacher young" calls. Her cheeks ached from the constant smiling, yet the warmth of interacting with each child made it all worthwhile. Despite the numbness in , Tiffany cherished her role as a teacher. The bonus of receiving snacks from her students wasn't just a delightful treat for her; it meant Da-On, too, would soon find an array of sweets gracing their fridge.

 

Exiting the room, she noticed a student eagerly sprinting in her direction, compelling her to halt as he reached her.

 

"Teacher Young, the computers are here." He informed her. 

 

"Thanks, Dylan," she expressed with a warm smile, and Dylan graciously bowed before taking his leave. Hastening her descent to the first floor, she gracefully navigated the corridor in high heels and a pristine white suit. Approaching the scene, she noticed the computer shop's truck stationed in front of the orphanage, where Taeyeon was deep in conversation with the delivery man.

 

"Ms. Young is here," the man announced, catching Taeyeon's attention. As he turned to acknowledge her, a warm smile graced his face. Returning the greeting with a brief wave, she jogged toward them, only to have an unexpected slip that resulted in her gracefully landing on her bum.

 

"Omo." In a hurry, Taeyeon swiftly approached her and checked on her well-being. "Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter