Da-On's Mother

The Fugitives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

34 | Da-On's Mother

 

***

 

Yoona found herself seated in the back of a cab, en route to Sunshine Village, when a sense of familiarity jolted her. A recognizable truck swiftly passed by, prompting her to hastily roll down the window and lean out to get a better look. The license plate unequivocally identified it as Seohyun's. Without hesitation, she instructed the cab driver, "Sir, could you please follow that truck that just passed us?'"

 

"But our destination-"

 

"I'll double the pay. Quick, turn the car around," he interjected, preempting any potential disapproval from the driver. Without uttering a word, the driver skillfully spun the wheel and promptly pressed the gas pedal, propelling the car forward with increased speed as they followed Seohyun's truck.

 

"Where is she headed?" he wonders, eyes fixed on the speeding truck. The urgency in Seohyun's driving leaves him concerned, hoping whatever it is, she stays out of harm's way.

 

"In a matter of minutes, they reached the supermarket, and he promptly fulfilled his promise by settling the cab fare. Prepared to approach the truck, he paused as Seohyun emerged from it, prompting him to instinctively seek cover behind another car. Peeking out, he observed her opening the trunk and retrieving a briefcase from a concealed compartment. Upon opening it, a rare and distinctive laptop was unveiled, catching his attention."

 

"Is this her usual method in New York?" he pondered, attempting to catch a glimpse of the laptop screen. Unfortunately, he was positioned too far away to discern anything displayed on the monitor.

 

Seohyun nonchalantly secured her hair and grabbed a bag containing her reading glasses. She then applied makeup and underwent a quick wardrobe change, swapping into a sleeveless shirt paired with a leather jacket.

 

Yoona's skin prickled with anticipation, sensing he was on the verge of witnessing a spectacle straight out of a TV drama. "Oh, please," he muttered a silent prayer, hoping she wasn't attempting a supermarket heist. His anxiety heightened when she retrieved a pole from the trunk, but his gasp turned into disbelief as she approached a water tank and delivered a series of blows, causing an unexpected explosion of water. "What the heck?" he blurted out, standing up abruptly. Quickly realizing he needed to conceal himself before Seohyun spotted him, he instinctively ducked into the shadows.

 

Seohyun surveyed her surroundings, relieved to find the area deserted. Swiftly, she made her way to the truck, patiently biding her time until the supermarket's staff spilled out in a panic. Amidst the chaos, she seized the opportune moment to slip out of the truck unnoticed. Navigating through the pandemonium, she stealthily approached the supermarket, skillfully making her way to the vacant CCTV room.

Once inside, she accessed the computer and reviewed the earlier CCTV footage. To her revelation, the instigator of Tiffany's outburst was identified, but considering her friend had initiated the conflict by grabbing the woman's hair, Seohyun adeptly manipulated the footage. Through expert editing, she framed the lady as the sole provocateur behind the escalating altercation.

 

As the video transferred onto her flash drive, she simultaneously uploaded the edited version to the Supermarket's CCTV recorded folder files.

 

The door swung open abruptly, and she swiftly turned, only to discover Yoona standing there. "What the heck are you doing here?" she exclaimed, her confusion evident.

 

"Hey, what are you up to?" Yoona inquired, unable to resist the urge to figure out what was happening, as he approached her.

 

"I'm backing up CCTV footage. Hold on, don't misunderstand. I'm just doing this to ensure Tiffany Unnie doesn't get wrongly blamed."

 

"Why? What happened?"

 

"Haven't you heard about it from Taeyeon Oppa?" Seohyun furrowed her eyebrows.

 

"I never heard anything."

 

Sighing, Seohyun redirected her attention to the monitor. "They're currently at the police station, detained due to the earlier altercation," she explained, retrieving the flash drive from the computer once the transfer was complete. Closing the running application, she stood up and turned to face the doe-eyed.

 

"Is this really how you handle your responsibilities?" Yoona inquired with a serious tone. Despite being aware of Seohyun's role as the IT expert in the group, it still astounded him. Seohyun, an IT expert with a passion for art—an uncommon and intriguing combination of skills and interests.

 

"Yeah, that's just who I am," Seohyun softly uttered. She awaited a response from the doe-eyed, but he remained speechless. "I trust you're not frightened," she casually added, strolling out of the room.

 

However, after just a couple of steps, the CCTV team began making their way back to the room. Seohyun pivoted, only for Yoona to swiftly seize her arm and pull her behind a stack of boxes. Huddled in concealment, they waited for the team to enter the room.

 

"I'm not afraid; I'm just genuinely amazed to finally witness this," Yoona said softly, a subtle smile playing on her lips. "I'm grateful to have gotten to know the real you."

 

"This is just one facet of me; it doesn't encompass my entire being," Seohyun corrected.

 

"I understand. I see that you're ready to go to any lengths for your friend, and honestly, I'm prepared to do the same,"

 

"Taeyeon Oppa got the punch too, so we're saving both of them."

 

Yoona slowly nodded. "Thank you." he genuinely whispered.

 

As soon as everyone entered the room, they made their way back to the entrance while lowering their selves. Once they were out of the market, Seohyun returned to her truck to take her laptop out and unloop the CCTV footage she intentionally did so she wouldn't be seen getting inside the supermarket. She then reclined the driver's seat, joining Yoona inside the truck. "Next stop, police station." she declared before driving off.

 

***

 

As the sun sets in the distance, casting a magnificent view, Da-On strolls homeward, accompanied by Yuri and Jessica in quiet companionship. His time at the dog shelter was enjoyable, but it left him feeling hungry, prompting him to suggest heading home for a meal. Suddenly, the kitten Taeyeon brought the other day comes into view, sprinting toward him. He pauses, crouching down as the kitten begins to meow. Da-On giggles, gently petting its furry little body.

 

"Is that the cat Taeyeon brought?" Yuri inquired upon reaching the young boy.

 

"Yeah, we actually haven't given it a name yet," Jessica replied, a smile gracing her face as she observed the adorable scene between Da-On and the orange cat.

 

"How about sica?"

 

"What? You're naming it after me?" She playfully swatted his arm, eliciting giggles from Yuri.

 

Da-On chuckled softly. "I'm naming it Orange," he suggested as he lifted the cat into his arms.

 

"Orange? That's quite common, Da-On. How about something more unique and cute?" Yuri suggested as they resumed walking back to the house.

 

"Cute? Sure, I'll give it some thought, Yuri Appa," Da-On replied with a cheerful smile.

 

Jessica could only scoff as the two boys walked ahead, leaving her trailing behind. She sighed as she reached home. "Give me a moment; I'll prepare dinner later," she requested, taking her seat on the sofa.

 

Da-On settled onto the floor and started playing with the cat using a feather stick, and the feline eagerly followed the playful movements.

 

"I'll take care of dinner," Yuri declared abruptly.

 

"You know how to cook now?" 

 

"Uh... a little?"

 

Jessica chuckled softly. "I know you're not used to it yet, so just take a seat and relax for now," she recommended, letting out a yawn. She reached for the remote control on the coffee table and the TV.

 

Yuri had no choice but to take a seat on the right side. "Taeyeon, he studied culinary back then, that's why he's so skilled at cooking," he couldn't help but mention. It was his friend who had prepared breakfast in the morning, and he had only assisted. He felt a tad embarrassed that he couldn't do the same for Jessica.

 

"You should've done the same."

 

"If only I had the free time like him, I would've done it."

 

"Well, why did you become a chairman?" Jessica playfully inquired.

 

"Well, at least I've got sports covered. Plus, I can whip up some ramen and fry breakfast," Yuri shrugged, flashing a subtle smile.

 

"You're quite proud of that, huh?" mused Jessica, though she could somewhat empathize with Yuri's predicament as someone heading the wealthiest company and has gotten used to being served by chefs in his home.

 

"How about 'Bob'?" Da-On suddenly interjected into their conversation.

 

"Bob? It's a girl, Da-On," Yuri corrected.

 

"It is? Alright, I'll reconsider," Da-On said, and he fell silent once again, engrossed in playing with the kitten.

 

Jessica smiled as she gently rubbed the young boy's head. "Don't stress about it. Take your time, sweetie."

 

"Yes, Jessica Noona." Da-On smiled cheerfully.

 

"Noona?" Yuri finally heard it, clearly. "You-"

 

"He sometimes calls me that, and sometimes he calls me 'Omma'," Jessica interjected before he could think of anything else.

 

Yuri furrowed his eyebrows, but before he could inquire for an explanation, his phone rang inside his pocket. Casually retrieving it, he checked the screen. "Oh, it's Tiffany," he said, showing the screen to Jessica.

 

"Keep an eye on him," Jessica instructed, seizing the phone. She got up and headed upstairs to answer her friend's call. "How's everything over there?"

 

[Kinda bad.]

 

"What?" she exclaimed. "How bad is it?" It filled her with worry.

 

[This lady is a pawnshop owner and has connections; she managed to secure a lawyer right away. Seohyun almost wanted to kick her when she argued that she had edited the CCTV video.]

 

"Chincha? Then aren't you guys going home tonight?"

 

[I'm afraid so unless Yuri can get us a lawyer and pay the bail. The charges this lady has leveled against us require bail while the police conduct their investigation.] 

 

"That lady is such a pain in the neck," Jessica muttered, clearly irritated upon learning about it.

 

[I know, right? The police told us that if there was a witness in favor of us, it could make a difference, but who could we bring to the station when those people were too scared to even stand up against her? She even manipulated them into speaking against us.]

 

"I'll tell Yuri about this. I'm sure he could get a lawyer right away."

 

[That's what Taeyeon told me. If he can rent a car that easily, I'm sure he can do the same for us.]

 

"Are you doing okay over there?" she inquired, expressing concern about their situation at the station.

 

[Yeah, I'm with Taeyeon. He keeps me company and takes care of me. But I'm worried about Da-On; he must be missing us by now.]

 

"He did. But don't worry, I'll make sure he won't get to know. I think he'll understand if I come up with an excuse."

 

[Thanks, Sica. I can always count on you.]

 

"We're family for a reason. Anyway, where's Seohyun?"

 

[She left with Yoona to buy us food. They'll be here in a while.]

 

"Oh, I'm glad they're there. Anyway, please be patient; we'll get you guys out of there," she said reassuringly and hung up. Taking a deep breath and gradually relaxing, she headed out and immediately caught Yuri's attention. "Let's talk in the kitchen," she told him, leading him to the dining area.

 

"What's happening?" Yuri curiously inquired as he gently took his phone back.

 

"We need a lawyer at this time of the night, Yul. Do you happen to know anyone in the city?" She didn't hesitate to disclose the situation, hoping that Yuri might know someone who could help.

 

"It's about Tiffany and Taeyeon, right?"

 

"Yes. And according to her, the police won't let them leave unless they pay a bail."

 

"I see. I got it. I can contact someone in the city right now who might help us with this."

 

"You really have a lot of connections don't you?"

 

"Not really, but I know a lot of businessmen friends. I could work on it," Yuri smiled warmly as he browsed his contacts. However, Jessica suddenly hugged him, prompting him to stop. "Wae?" he asked as he gently rubbed her back.

 

"I'll take care of Da-On. Please ensure they get out before midnight," Jessica whispered, slowly pulling back. She warmly smiled as she held his face. "Thank you, Yul." she genuinely says. 

 

Yuri nodded slowly. "Let's discuss about us later," he said softly, kissing her cheek before casually heading back to the living room without waiting for her response. He hugged Da-On first, bid farewell, and left in a hurry.

 

Meanwhile, Jessica returned to Da-On. "You ready to eat, Da-On ah?"

 

"Yes, Noona," Da-On replied, hastily getting up and running to the dining area, only to be met with an empty table.

 

"I was just about to prepare dinner. I'm sorry," Jessica apologized as she finally began cooking, much to Da-On's disappointment.

 

"I'll play with pumpkin first." Da-On declared as he crossed his arms on his chest.

 

"Pumpkin? Is that the name of the cat now?"

 

"Yes, Noona." He replied with a brief smile before heading back to the living room and resumed playing with the orange cat.

 

While preparing dinner, Jessica mused about why the young boy named the orange cat Pumpkin, only to realize that the name perfectly matched the feline's orange color. "Such a brilliant boy," she remarked with a soft chuckle as she continued chopping ingredients for the soup.

 

***

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany release a prolonged sigh, seated on the floor behind the bars. A heavy silence hangs between them, lingering in the aftermath of their dinner. The bruises on their faces, souvenirs from a recent altercation, quietly speak of the struggles they've endured.

 

"I never anticipated we'd find ourselves in this situation," Taeyeon confessed in a hushed tone, stealing a glance at Tiffany beside him. "I'm sorry. I could have done better," he lamented, grappling with the weight of remorse as the one entrusted with safeguarding the love of his life. 

 

His eyes fixed on Tiffany's left hand, longing to entwine their fingers, but a moment of hesitation held him back. Instead, he slid his hand into his jacket, only to realize he was wearing an extra layer. Without second thoughts, he casually removed it and draped the jacket over Tiffany's shoulders, even as she maintained a quiet demeanor.

 

"So this is how it feels like to be behind the bars, quite depressing but... we all know it wasn't our fault, right?" He continued to talk.

 

Tiffany's smile finally emerged, accompanied by another sigh. "It's not my first time, so it doesn't feel strange to me. I apologize for bringing you into this with me," she expressed, burdened by the belief that it was entirely her fault. If only she hadn't lost her patience, they might have avoided the predicament they now found themselves in.

 

"Nope, it was that lady. She knew she could shut up those people for strange reasons that she easily brought us here."

 

"Tsk, she's such a bully. I wonder what does she do and she's like above the law?"

 

Taeyeon contemplated a revelation crossing his mind. "I observed earlier that she had an envelope with something inside—thick bills, perhaps? Could she have paid off the police? It's frustrating how readily they accept her narrative over ours. They suggested testing Seohyun's video for authenticity, but once the lady's lawyer claimed it was edited, they dismissed it without presenting an actual video. It's almost as if the police are familiar with the lady," he lamented, a sense of injustice and annoyance creeping in.

 

"I didn't observe anything specific, but you might be onto something, especially considering her wealth is on par with the other store owner in town."

 

"I believe Yuri's lawyer should conduct a thorough investigation and present compelling evidence to the police, ensuring that those individuals won't utter a word, let alone continue their malicious activities."

 

Tiffany was startled. "Where did that idea come from?" It felt as if Taeyeon had been immersed in detective shows or had a background in law enforcement.

 

"You bear the responsibility for this; you sent me that binder back then," Taeyeon asserted without hesitation.

 

"Omo, you received that?"

 

He scoffed disbelievingly. "Are you kidding me? Of course, I did. And you know what? I used it to gather information about you and the rest of the robbery group. It's been instrumental in aiding our investigation with the assistance of my friend, the Prosecutor," he proudly revealed.

 

Tiffany gasped in surprise. "You did? I only sent that for you to learn more about me and my friends... I never intended for you to use it for anything else," she admitted, unaware that it could serve other purposes.

 

"You honestly believed I would just glance at it and not take any action?" Taeyeon chuckled with amusement.

 

"Yeah, it was only—So you mean you got the robbery group?"

 

"That, we weren't able to do that because we focus on you girls. We were determined to get you girls acquitted from NYPD's case against you all."

 

"Wait, you did that?"

 

"What do you propose we do?" He countered. "We can't simply allow you girls to keep hiding. It's not a sustainable life in that situation, is it?"

 

Tiffany was at a loss for words, grappling with the newly revealed information. What she did know was that she had been mistaken. Instead of causing trouble, they had returned with the sole intention of reconnecting.

 

"Damn, did I spill the beans too soon?" Taeyeon pondered, observing the young woman next to him falling silent. It seemed as though she didn't take the revelation well.

 

"You guys didn't come to tell us we owe you for this, right?"

 

"What?" He exclaimed in response.

 

"I can't quite comprehend how you all forgave so easily. It's as if it was just a minor mistake to deceive you." Tiffany explained, hoping to justify their actions.

 

"It's simple. We did it because we are deeply in love with the three ladies, and we genuinely believe you love us back. Besides, what we witnessed back then was sufficient to defend you three from those who sought to take advantage." Taeyeon explained sincerely. He gently cupped her face in his palms, causing Tiffany to meet his gaze intently.

"I know it's hard to believe, but we can't rest peacefully thinking you girls are still in hiding, unaware that Interpol has stopped chasing after you. I wanted to see you, Fany, and let you know that you now have the freedom to go back or travel without fake documents. It's time – time to reveal to the world that you girls have nothing to hide anymore," his voice softened with care.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter