Suspicious

The Fugitives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

20 | Suspicious

 

***

 

When Seohyun stepped out of the bed, yawning and stretching her arms as she heads to the living room, she got surprised to see Tiffany sleeping on the couch. She remembers last night it was Yihyun who came late from her part-time job. 

 

'Didn't she return home earlier than me?' She raised her eyebrows as she carefully approached the sofa, only to back out right away when her eyes opened wide. "What the Unnie!" she whined.

 

"Have you eaten?" Tiffany flashed a wide grin.

 

"I just got out of my bed!"

 

"Figures. I'll make us some sandwiches." She instantly sprinted to the kitchen leaving Seohyun dumbfounded.

 

"Has she been awake?" Seohyun followed her curiously. "Yah, where were you in your room when I returned home?"

 

"Oh, I actually just got home." Tiffany replied with a brief bright eye-smiles while she was preparing the boneless chicken and some veggies.

 

"What? You were out the entire night?"

 

"I stayed in Taeyeon's crib."

 

"Omo, Chincha? How was it?" Seohyun excitedly asks as she takes her seat across from the older one. 

 

"Do you mean... what happened?" Tiffany smiled as she looked at the younger.

 

"Well, whatever you want to share."

 

"Um, first of... it's my first time in his house and I was blown away but the huge chandelier that could cost around 1 Billion dollars."

 

Seohyun gasped. "Did you just got tempted to steal it?" 

 

Tiffany chuckled softly. "No, of course. It's just so huge that I can't miss that."

 

"Is he alone in that house?" 

 

"Yeah, it was lonely out there for him but he has a caretaker that would be there in the morning until the sun sets." 

 

Seohyun nodded slowly. "Rich but lonely, isn't he? Just like Yoona."

 

"So many chaebols are like that. Especially when they can earn easily out of their parents' pocket. But wait, let's not talk about that. Let's talk about what happened last night." Tiffany giggles while wiggling her eyebrows.

 

Flashback...

 

Instead of going to bed right away, Taeyeon and Tiffany are having fun on the piano. Tiffany requested to be taught after what happened in the University and Taeyeon didn't even question that and he's been teaching her for the past 3 hours. 

 

"I think I fell for you again." said Tiffany softly after her boyfriend finished the piece he played for her.

 

"Chincha? Is it because I look handsome with the piano?" He playfully.

 

She scoffed. "No, it's because..." But she pauses when her heart flutters. "I don't... know. My heart... it just feels it."

 

Taeyeon closed the piano as he turns to face her. He smiles lovingly as he slowly put his palm on her right cheek. "Just like how I first fell for you... I couldn't stop it from happening." he softly said. "The more I'm with you... the more I fall harder." he added with a gentle rub on her cheek as his heart fluttered in the process.

 

"Tsk, I can't blame you." Tiffany replied playfully but she can't resist and peck on his lips. "Shall we continue to practice this sometime then? It's time to sleep." she realized the time and it just passed midnight. 

 

"Oh, indeed." He chuckled softly. 

 

"Let's cuddle to sleep." Getting up, she grabs his arm and drags him to the bedroom excitedly. 

 

End Of Flashback...

 

"Stop. You guys just sleep after the piano lessons, right?" Seohyun reacted before the older could go further.

 

"Of course. We're both so tired and... cuddling, feeling our warm bodies is the best night for us." Tiffany giggles as she finally placed the finished sandwiches for her and the younger on the plates. 

 

Seohyun smiled and nodded. "I'm so happy for you, Unnie."

 

"But we should know why Jessica did not return home again." said Tiffany as she placed their sandwiches on the dining table. 

 

"She's in the villa again, of course, she will spend the night with her boyfriend." Seohyun just doesn't bother. She grabs the sandwich and took a big bite. 

 

"Oh, Yuri's surgery is in days. Maybe she's preparing him."

 

"Could be." 

 

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders and finally enjoys her sandwich with the younger girl. They got quiet yet would always smile at each other in the next couple of minutes. 

 

But suddenly hearing her phone ringing from her bedroom, Seohyun hurriedly rushed to get it and finds Yoona's contact id flashing on the screen. "Omo." she hastily answered it.

 

[Yah, why aren't you answering my text?] Yoona sounds upset next line.

 

"You... message me?" She immediately check their conversation and a lot of sweet words and good morning was sent by the doe-eyed a couple of minutes ago. She pressed her phone back against her ear and apologizes. "Mianhe, I was outside... I mean, I'm having breakfast with Tiffany Unnie. I didn't think you would text me early this morning."

 

[Aigoo, you didn't even check your phone after waking up?]

 

"I... don't normally check it."

 

[What?] Yoona scoffed.

 

"I mean, I always love to stretch around and then have breakfast."

 

[Damn, you haven't dated anyone indeed. Tsk.]

 

"Is that necessary? I mean, checking messages after waking up?" She innocently asked. 

 

Yoona sighs before he replied. [You're not really used yet dating someone. There are still things you need to... learn.]

 

"Mianhe." She feels bad. She thinks she upset him that bad. "But don't worry, I'll make sure to check messages now from now on." So she hastily promised.

 

[Anyway, let's meet later again. I have no plans for the rest of the afternoon.]

 

"Where?"

 

[I'll tell you later. See ya, Seohyunnie.] Yoona replied brightly and ended the call.

 

She smiled and put her phone back on the nightstand but as she turns, she paused and turns back to grab her phone before heading out of her room.

 

***

 

While Yuri is focused on the news article on his phone, Jessica is quietly having breakfast with him. He noticed it and looked at her only to realize she had been playing with her food only and not taking a bite.

 

"Jessica-ssi?" He called her out softly as he raised his brows. But the latter wasn't able to hear him. "Ahem." so he pretended to clear his throat.

 

"Yes?" Jessica finally snapped out of reality as she looked at him in concern.

 

"You're spacing out." He said. "And you're not even eating. What's in your mind?" 

 

"Oh." Jessica immediately realized it and she took a bite of her scrambled eggs.

 

"Something's... bothering you?" Yuri worriedly asked. He hasn't seen her like that since they got together. "Is this about the current situation in the villa?" he guesses since she is bothered about it too. 

 

"Yeah, kinda." Jessica shrugged her shoulders and fake a smile. She grabs the glass of water but Yuri holds her hand. "I'm fine, don't worry." she assured him hastily.

 

"Did something happen last night? I reviewed the CCTV and... " Yuri pause to check their surroundings. "It caught one of the maids. That was... Ms. Jo Yuri-ssi." he mentioned in a low voice. 

 

"Yes, it was her... and... I don't know how is she involved with that."

 

"I'm curious about it as well. I thought I would see Mr. Cha. I think it's them?" 

 

Jessica sighs softly as she pulled her hand back. "Have you heard about your father?"

 

"Why did you ask? What's the connection?" Yuri chuckled lightly as he took a bite of his breakfast.

 

"I'm... just curious too. I mean, it's been 2 weeks right? Since he left for New York." She smiled briefly as she grabs back the glass of water and finally have herself of it to calm her nervous heartbeats. Ever since last night's discovery, she can't stop thinking of it. She's curious about the reason for Mr. Kwon's involvement with the maid. She feels like it's bad news for Yuri to know about it.

 

"Yeah, and it seems he's having fun because he hasn't called me yet."

 

"Chincha? He's probably going around the city then."

 

"Oh, by the way, the doctor called me earlier. He wants me to visit him later for a check-up. Let's go together."

 

Jessica nodded slowly. "Sure." 

 

"And about the maid, what do you think should we do? Should we confront her? I mean, I really want to know the reason behind this."

 

"Let's talk about that after your check-up. Don't get too stressed thinking about it. It might not be good for your surgery later." She reminded him as she gently patted his hand on the table.

 

Yuri smiled and resumed his food.

 

'Aigoo, can't tell him about his father. Otherwise, it'll make him more confused and might complicate his surgery later.' Jessica thought as she sighs audibly.

 

***

 

[Days later...] 

 

Just right after having a lunch meeting he had with his board of directors, Yoona didn't waste his time and he asked the driver to take him to the hospital. It's Yuri's surgery day and he wants to send him some good luck.  While they're on the road, he received a message from Tiffany, telling him about the University Festival. 

 

Fany Noona: Do you want to see Taeyeon tonight, Yoong? He's performing at his cousin's University.

 

"Oh yeah, it's today too." He smacks his forehead for forgetting it. He pauses to think of an answer before he types it and sends it to the older one.

 

Yes, I'm going there, Noona. Seohyun will be there too, right?

 

Fany Noona: Nope. Too bad she has worked until later. It would've been good, right? I mean, you kinda like her.

 

"Ugh, why it has to be today?" He groaned when he read it. 

 

Yeah, anyway, see you later.

 

After sending the message, he hastily opened his conversation with his girlfriend and sent her an important message.

 

Where are you right now? 

 

Seohyun: I'm at work.

 

I know but where exactly?

 

Seohyun: Don't worry it's not a dangerous job.

 

"Tsk, I was just asking." He frowned and doesn't know if he was still going to ask or not. "Aish, she's upsetting me again." He decided to put his phone down and brushed it off as he looked outside while still frowning.

 

 

After an hour of driving and looking for the operating room, he found Jessica in the waiting room, alone, and looked sleepless. 

 

"Noona, have he gone inside?" He asked as he handed her a cup of coffee.

 

"Oh." Jessica smiled at him as she received the paper cup. "Yeah, just minutes ago." she added, letting out a small yawn before taking a sip.

 

"Where's Mr. Cha? I thought he will be here?" he looked around as if the latter will pop up nowhere. 

 

"He can't leave the villa." She softly replied.

 

"Why not?"

 

"I mean, there are some stuff that Yuri has to finish and he's doing it for him." Jessica explained further. 

 

Yoona nodded slowly. "I see. Aigoo... I hope everything goes well." He slowly takes a sip of his coffee and sighs. 

 

"Are you staying until it's done?" She looked at him curiously.

 

"Oh, I'll stay until the sun sets, Noona."

 

"Right, you have to go home too." Jessica smiled briefly before taking another sip of her coffee.

 

"Taeyeon Hyung is performing in his cousin's University, I have to be there tonight."

 

"Omo, indeed. Tiffany is there."

 

"I thought you don't know." He chuckled softly.

 

"How about Seohyun? Did you invite her?"

 

Yoona pouted when he heard it. "She has a job until tonight. I doubt she will be there." 

 

"Oh, s-sorry to hear that." Jessica felt bad right away. "That kid sure doesn't know how to take a day off. Tsk." She's not surprised at all but it's still disappointing.

 

"What do you mean, Noona?"

 

"You see, Seohyun likes to work and earn as much as money she can get, even back in New York."

 

"Damn, such a workaholic person." Muttered Yoona as he sighs in the process. "But... that means she really grew up without her parents, isn't she?"

 

"She really does, just like Tiffany." Jessica shares softly. "I think she has shared it with you, right?"

 

"That... she's an orphan?"

 

"Yeah, so she did."

 

"I don't want to think she is. It doesn't matter either way." Yoona shrugged his shoulders. 'I may not be an orphan but I feel like I am.' He could definitely relate to Seohyun as someone who is living away from his parents.  

 

"Whoa, I love that from you, Yoona." Jessica felt happy to hear it. It's rare to see one that doesn't care about someone's family history.

 

The doe-eyed smiled back shyly as his cheeks blushed a little. 

 

"You guys should really date already." She teases, nudging him gently.

 

He scoffed and chuckles. 'If only I can tell you right now, Noona.' He's quite frustrated he can't say it yet without Seohyun's approval. 

 

***

 

Bowing to the owner of the cafe, Tiffany excitedly skipped her way back to the University, holding the drinks she intends to give to the band members including Ji-Eun. She wanted to make some friends and she hopes she is up for it as well.

 

A lot of students are having fun in their Summer School Festival keeping the good and fun vibes around the school. It feels like home for Tiffany to be able to be in a place with the same race as her, and it feels new at the same time for someone who is just experiencing College ambiance. 

 

When she reached the dressing room at the back of the main stage for the festival, she pause first before knocking on the door and opening it but she immediately noticed Ji-Eun is giving drinks to the band members, especially Taeyeon. Her eyes slightly widened and she hastily close the door, looking at the drinks she was holding.

 

"Aish, how could she think the same thing as me?" Looking around, she spotted a group of friends having a chitchat nearby, she hastily runs to them and give them drinks. "Here you go guys, it's a bit hot right now, don't forget to dehydrate." she said and smiled at them when they started bowing as they receive the drinks.

 

As she was returning to the dressing room, she heard her phone ring and finds Taeyeon calling her. She didn't mind answering as she reached the room in no time.

 

"Oh, there you go. Have some coffee first, Ms. Young." Ji-Eun greeted her with a big smile as she handed her an iced coffee.

 

"Thanks." She replied bowing slightly as she received it.

 

"I thought you went somewhere." Taeyeon approaches her and smiles sweetly.

 

"I told you I have to the restroom." She replied. "Wae?" 

 

"I want you to introduce me to the band." He said as he faced the three more members. "This is Nick, Jay, and Cheon." 

 

"Oh, nice to meet you guys, I'm Tiffany." She smiled brightly as she bowed a couple of times and handshakes with them.

 

The door suddenly opens and the floor director called them. "You guys are good for the rehearsal."

 

"Yes, after you, Mr. Jeon." Ji-Eun replied on behalf of the band. 

 

"Should we change outfits first then go up there for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter