Rain

The Fugitives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

08 | Rain

 

***

 

"Where do we go?" ask Taeyeon once they got inside his car.

 

Tiffany scoffed and chuckled. "I thought you overheard my conversation, that's why I go along with you."

 

"I thought your friend is in trouble, right? But I have no idea where is she." explained Taeyeon, a bit embarrassed.

 

"She said Gangnam Police Station."

 

"What? What is she doing there?" He exclaimed, didn't expect to hear it. But he the engine and drives off nonetheless.

 

"Someone reported her but I don't what did she do. Ugh. I hope we can help her." Tiffany groaned. She's worried but at the same time scared for her friend who is like her sister already.

 

"Is this your youngest friend?" Taeyeon glanced at her.

 

"Yes."

 

"I'll try to help her since I know someone from the prosecution. That's only if what she did is big. I can't help her if it's just a little."

 

"Well, if it's only like a small mistake, I bet we can do that." Tiffany is confident although she's anxious. "But I don't know how this country's justice system works, so I hope you can really help me." She bit her lip, looking at him with pleading eyes.

 

Reaching for her hand, Taeyeon gently patted them on her lap. "It'll be fine, don't worry." He assuredly smiles.

 

"Thanks, Tae." She smiled back, feeling warm with his words. 

 

"Don't mention it." Taeyeon softly says. He felt giddy upon hearing the nickname. His friends usually call him Taengoo or Taeng, but her, it sounds cute and definitely special. 

 

***

 

Walking out of the cinema, Jessica and Yuri smile at each other. The 2 hours action film they watched totally made their night. But it's extra special because they watch it together.

 

"I thought we would only go have some dinner, I didn't expect a movie date." Said Jessica as they walk side by side in an almost empty, city mall. 

 

"I figured it's better if we enjoy a movie... you know for the first time." Yuri explained himself.

 

"Thanks, it made my night."

 

"You enjoyed it too, right?"

 

Jessica chuckled softly. "Who wouldn't? I couldn't stop from screaming whenever the lead actor jumps to high places." 

 

"Yeah, I almost got deaf." Joke Yuri earning a laugh from the latter. 

 

"You should've told me." Jessica hit his arm lightly.

 

He shakes his head. "I enjoyed all your screams. It was hilarious, it was an honor to see and see you really enjoyed it." 

 

Jessica couldn't believe what she heard. "Are you kidding me? My friends would even complain." She chuckled softly.

 

"Aren't we friends too?" 

 

"Of course we are."

 

"Then consider my comment as positive. I mean, I was really happy, so thank you, as well." Yuri flashes a charming smile.

 

Jessica shrugged her shoulders. "Okay." And she giggles. She then took her phone out of her jacket and stopped her walk when she noticed the number of calls all coming from Seohyun. 

 

"Wae?" Yuri noticed the change of expression from Jessica and it concerns him.

 

"My friend, she called me." Opening her messages, she has 1 unread message from the younger.

 

Seohyun: Unnie, help me. I'm in a police station.

 

"What?" She gasped. It was 40 minutes ago that she immediately got worried. She pressed the call button on her contact ID but the latter isn't answering. "."

 

"What's happening? Please tell me." Yuri demanded.

 

"My friend, she's in the police station." She called Tiffany this time and it was a relief she answered. "Tiffa- I mean, Donna-ssi, where's Jennifer?" she almost spills the name of her friend.

 

[We're at Gangnam Police Station. Taeyeon is apparently talking with the police to resolve this.]

 

"Wae? What happened?"

 

[Seohyun was reported as stealing a wallet.]

 

"What? She did it? I thought-"

 

[But she denied doing it. The owner of the wallet is here, insisting that it was really her. We are still looking into the CCTVs, hopefully, it will prove her innocence.]

 

"Okay, I'll go there." She said and ended the call. "You know how to go to Gangnam Police, right?" She faced Yuri again with a direct question.

 

"Yes." Yuri nodded.

 

"My friends and your friend Taeyeon are there." She informed and the young chairman grabs her arm immediately as he drag her. She runs with him all the way to the parking lot.

 

***

 

Seohyun is behind bars while the police are looking into her alibi. She felt tired and just want to lie down to sleep. But she doesn't want to. It only means she's giving up if she accepts to be inside.

 

She throws her head back, leaning her head against the wall, sighing in the process.

 

'I was just checking the flowers, why did I end up here.' She thought, pouting sadly. 'But how did that purse end up in my bag? Or did the real thief drop it there? That's definitely the case. There's no way it just appeared like magic there. Aish, if only I returned home early.' she's regretful for still enjoying the night in a busy street. 

 

"I'm hungry." Mumbles her when she felt and heard her stomach grumble. But she sighs once again when she remembers the audition. "Looks like I won't able to do so. Tsk, what a freaking life this is!" she bumps her head to the wall but only to yelp and she rubs her head.

 

"Hey, Seohyun-ah." Tiffany walked into the holding cell and called her friend softly.

 

Seohyun hurriedly get up. "Unnieeee!!!" she squeals. "I'm hungry, Unnie." and didn't hesitate to tell her.

 

"That's why I'm here. I'm sorry that it took us a while." said Tiffany, handing her a box of chicken. "You're lucky the officer allowed me to give you this." 

 

"Aren't they done looking into CCTVs?" ask Seohyun as she sits down on the floor and excitedly opened the box. She took a big bite of the drumsticks immediately.

 

"Tsk, they're ing delaying it. But I'm positive they'll eventually prove your innocence once they find you." Tiffany positively said, opening the can of cola and handing it to the younger. "Aigoo, poor you." she reaches for her head and rubs it gently. Her heart is broken looking at her inside the cell. 

 

"So I won't be sleeping here, right?" 

 

"I won't ever let that happen."

 

"Thanks, Unnie." Seohyun smiled warmly, grabbing her hand hold it tightly.

 

A warm smile was also plastered on Tiffany's lips. "Hang in there, okay? And oh, We're lucky Taeyeon is helping us too."

 

"Oh, he's with you."

 

"I was with him when you called, he heard about you getting in trouble. So he wants to help too." 

 

Seohyun nodded. "Tell him I'm thankful as well."

 

"Eat up, so you can have more strength." Tiffany ushered. 

 

Smiling brightly, Seohyun took another big bite and Tiffany smiled as she watched her enjoy the fried chicken. 

 

***

 

"There, there, that's her." Taeyeon pointed in a hurry when he recognized Jennifer on the video. "Just like she told you, officer, she was only seeing the flowers." 

 

The owner of the wallet immediately checks on the video as well. And as they played forward, a tall guy stopped behind the younger girl to drop his wallet on her bag.

 

"See? You're wrong." Taeyeon proudly says as he smugly smiles at the wallet's owner. 

 

"Aigoo, so this guy is the thief."

 

"Wait, shouldn't you apologize?" He demanded. "You brought her here for nothing."

 

The officer bowed to him instead. "We do apologize, Sir." 

 

"I'm not telling you, this guy right here should apologize. You freaking even hold her in the cell!" 

 

The owner get up and bowed. "I'll apologize to her." Then he followed the police officer to the holding cell.

 

Taeyeon scoffed in disbelief. "If I didn't ask, he would never do it. And if I didn't tell the officer to keep looking, he would never also looked further. What ing bastard." He can't help and cursed loudly.

 

Meanwhile, Seohyun just finished the entire box of fried chicken when the officer came with the purse's owner. The officer unlocked the bars and give her the way. 

 

"I'm so sorry, Miss. I'm really so sorry." The wallet's owner bowed twice. "Please forgive me."

 

Seohyun bowed once only and took her bag back from Tiffany. "I hope you don't do this again, Mister. You're lucky I'm not pressing charge."

 

"Thank you so much." The man bowed so many times this time. "I own a barbecue place, I would gladly give you some meal for free if you happen to be there." he handed his business card, hoping to make it up to the woman.

 

Seohyun took it and smile. "Sure. Have a good night." she patted his shoulder and walk out of the place with Tiffany.

 

"Thanks, Tae." Tiffany didn't miss and told Taeyeon.

 

"Thank you, Oppa. I owe you for this." Seohyun bowed so deep and pulled back with a big smile.

 

Taeyeon smiled shyly as he rubs the back of his head. "I was just-"

 

"Jennifer!" Jessica came rushing to them the moment she and Yuri reached the station. She checks on Seohyun right away. "You alright? They didn't hurt you anywhere, did they?" asked her breathlessly. She didn't wait for her answer as she pulled her for a hug.

 

"Unnie, I'm fine. I'm totally fine." Said Seohyun while chuckling.

 

"Whoa, you guys really are together, eh?" Taeyeon finds it interesting to see his friend with Rose. 

 

"We meet earlier." Yuri explained to his friend. "Glad to see you resolved it?"

 

"Yeah, kind of." Taeyeon smiled proudly. Tiffany give him a nudge and he looked at her with a giggle. 

 

"Thanks, Taeyeon-ssi." Jessica gratefully told him too. 

 

"It's a small thing, Rose-ssi." Taeyeon got even shier and it made his cheeks blush.

 

Yuri chuckled and hit his friend's chest. "How about some tea first before going home?" And he offers, earning smiles from the three girls.

 

***

 

The next day...

 

Sipping a chocolate drink while walking in the corridor, Tiffany almost drop the mug when Jessica suddenly came out from her bedroom in a hurry. It literally surprises the hell out of her.

 

"Yah, what the heck are you doing?" she asked as she followed her to the living room.

 

"I'm running late." Jessica replied, tying her hair into a ponytail.

 

"Late? For what?"

 

"Today's my first day in Yuri's villa. I didn't wake up on time."

 

Tiffany widened her eyes. "Chincha? I thought it would be later or you declined." 

 

Walking to the kitchen, Jessica opened the fridge and grabs the salad in a container. "Why wouldn't I decline when you give me my support." She said as a matter of fact. She walks back to the sofa and places the salad inside her messenger bag. "Tell Seohyun my good luck. And please, get another part-time job, fany." she reminds her, walking out of their apartment without waiting for her friend's reaction.

 

"Good luck? Why would I tell her that?" Tiffany wonders. But it eventually interests her. She jogs towards Seohyun's room and barged inside without any knock. She found her in front of the mirror, putting on make-up. "Whoa, you have a part-time job this early, Seo?" she smiled teasingly at the younger.

 

"Nope, I'm going to Auditions, Unnie." Said Seohyun, smiling excitedly.

 

"Audition? You're going to be an idol?" 

 

"Of course not. I'm going to a reality show. You know that Yoona's reality show?"

 

"Oh, the bachelor?"

 

"Yes." Seohyun giggled and nodded.

 

"Whoa, you going there?" Tiffany got more excited for her friend. 

 

"It's not yet sure but hopefully I could get this. I mean, the prize is big. It's a chance to earn big, you know." Seohyun wiggles her shoulders while smiling cutely. 

 

"You really know how to make money, eh?"

 

"How about you, Unnie? I thought you said you are interested in something after you went out with Taeyeon Oppa?" 

 

Tiffany smiled. "Yes, I was just planning it for now. I still have to save for that and that means, doing a lot of part-time jobs. My savings right now isn't enough to do what I'm planning to do." 

 

"Okay." Seohyun smiled back as she get up and fix her hair one last time. "Just call me whenever you need help, okay?"

 

"Yes, Ms. Seo Joohyun." Tiffany playfully replied. "Good luck and have a good day!" she cheers on her brightly.

 

Waving her hand enthusiastically, Seohyun exited her room and proceed to leave the apartment. Tiffany followed only just in the living room, once again feeling lonely while her friends were out there. She grabs her phone from the coffee table and opened the part-time job app, searching for available jobs. Her eyes sparkled when she found Taeyeon's Cafe, looking for part-timers later at 12 noon and onwards. 

 

"Now this is really fate." She smiled so big and accepted the challenge.

 

***

 

It was an hour and a half of waiting, Seohyun is all smiles as she enters the studio. She bowed to the judges waiting for her as she took the mic from the staff and bowed so big again to introduce herself.

 

"Hello, I'm Jennifer Lee. Nice to meet you." She smiled all bright as she face them again.

 

The judges are all looking at her profile, all quiet as if she had an interesting profile. 

 

"Okay, what talent do you have?" The guy at the center, wearing a black baseball cap asked.

 

"Honestly, drawing." She replied instantly. She's proud of it.

 

"Oh, do you have anything to prove that?"

 

"I didn't bring my pencil or any paper. I didn't know it was necessary." She awkwardly answered. 'I should've known.'

 

"You look good on the monitor." The old lady wearing glasses on the far right said while looking at the tv screen.

 

She checks the screen and smiles. "I guess so." 

 

"You came from Amerika, so how's your stay in your homeland so far?" 

 

"Oh, it's so far it's good." Seohyun replied with a chuckle. "I'm getting to know the place once again."

 

"You've been in Amerika for how long?" The same lady asked her without missing a beat.

 

"I was ten years old when I and my parents brought us there. So for 2 decades."

 

"Omo, so you are pretty much like a tourist here." 

 

Seohyun nodded and smile awkwardly. 

 

"Why are you joining this show?" The guy at the center asked this time. 

 

She pauses to ponder for a moment. "Not only because of the prize money but also because... I want to get to know the bachelor. He seemed interesting." She reasoned a bit doubtful with her last sentence.

 

"So you saw the commercial?"

 

"Absolutely! This is really an interesting show." Chuckled her.

 

"Any talent or hobby do you love besides drawing?"

 

'Stealing.' She thought mentally. "I think I can sing." But proceed with the easiest hobby she can think of.

 

"Oh, you love to sing. Let's hear it then."

 

"Like right now?"

 

"Of course. We want to see how will you actually be entertaining on the show." The lady laughs softly.

 

Seohyun sighed and once again she ponders. "I am not the kind of girl. Who should be rudely barging in on a white veil occasion. But you are not the kind of boy. Who should be marrying the wrong girl..."

 

All the judges looked into each other's eyes, surprised by her voice.

 

"It was just an acapella but she sounds good." One of the judges said.

 

"Yeah, and she's enjoying it." Another one said while smiling at Seohyun, enjoying her singing and little dance. 

 

"Don't say yes, run away now
I'll meet you when you're out of the church at the back door
Don't wait, or say a single vow
You need to hear me out."

 

"She can actually be a singer." The old lady commented. "Stop." And commanded afterward.

 

Seohyun complied, flashing her brightest smile again.

 

"You have a nice voice."

 

"Yes?" She was stunned to hear it.

 

"Does anyone haven't tell you that?" The guy with the baseball cap chuckled in amusement.

 

Seohyun blinks and blinks and smiles awkwardly. "Thanks." As her cheeks blushed.

 

"Thank you for sharing your hobby with us then. Just wait for a call within the day if you got the last spot or not. Have a good day, Ms. Lee." One of the judges smiled at her.

 

She bowed and walked out of the room with a big exhale. She then opened her phone from her pocket and check the part-time jobs app again as she walk to the lift. But she wasn't paying attention when she bumped into someone and she dropped her phone accidentally. "I'm sorry." she apologized immediately. 

 

"Omo, I'm so sorry." 

 

Just as she was about to pick it up, the guy beat her. "You." she exclaimed to see who was before her.

 

The doe-eyed had his eyes widen as well. "You... what are you doing here?" 

 

"I... I should be the one asking, what are you doing in a broadcasting company?" She asked back.

 

Yoona scoffed in disbelief. "I thought you know I'm doing a reality show. Wait, are you by chance... "

 

"Of-of course not." Seohyun denied it strongly as if she knows what she will say. "I'm just here to do a part-time job." She explained and tried to snatch her phone back when Yoona dodged it.

 

"You're just here for a part-time job... you're here to audition for the last spot, aren't you?" Yoona stepped forward, leaning into her face, only to take the sticker number that has the show's logo on her chest and showed it to her. "The Bachelor." He teasingly smiled while wiggling his eyebrows.

 

"Aish." Seohyun mindlessly bump her forehead to his forehead so hard that the doe-eyed stepped back due to the impact. She grabs her phone from his grasp and hastily runs to th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter