Survival

Forever yours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up to my body feeling all sore from the beating of my so-called "parents" yesterday. They were still laying around in their many bottles of alcohol and sleeping drunkenly. I could smell them clearly even as I was meters away from them. I gathered up the strength I had and used it to try and stand up. It was better for me to leave them early in the morning when they weren't awake or else I would be beaten again and come "home" as late as possible, going that they have already passed out from all the drinking. I walked down the streets while trying to warm myself up with the little clothes that I had on. It was beginning to become winter. You may ask why I don't leave them, well it's because I can't. If I leave them then how will a 6-year-old kid survive on their own? Back there, there would still be food even though it is leftovers from my parents. It is better than nothing after all. I can't also get help because the adults don't care about us homeless people unless we are doing something towards them for example stealing from them. Then they will throw you in jail where you will be tortured until you are on the verge to die and then they will kill you in front of everyone in the country as a warning for everyone else who has the thought of stealing from them.

I walked and walked to wherever my feet got me when I suddenly stopped because of a delicious smell. I sniffed my way to the local bakery that was beginning to take their first batch of morning bread out of the ven. I stood with my face against the window into the bakery shop and my lips as I looked at the fresh bread. My stomach growled more loudly the more I sniffed in the bread. I knew that I couldn't get any of it, so I sneaked behind the bakery to where the big trash container was. The baker would sometimes throw out yesterday's leftover bread in there since he only wanted freshly made bread in his shop. I grabbed a box nearby and made sure that it could hold my weight before getting up on the box and down into the trash container. It was disgusting but it was the only thing that I could do to survive. I searched the whole container but there wasn't anything. I got out of it with a sigh and hung my head as I made my way to the front of the shop. Before I stepped out of the alley and into the streets I noticed a rich woman and a child making their way to the bakery, so I quickly hide. When they got closer, I saw that it was the girl from yesterday. She is so rich, so why did she even bother to play with me yesterday? Jiwon and her mom walked inside the bakery and brought some of the bread. Must be nice to just buy whatever you want without having to worry about if you have enough for the next day. Jiwon walked out of the store with a pastry in her hand while her mother was still inside, talking to the baker. Having her so close to me, I could easily smell how delicious the pastry was. I wanted to just run towards her and grab it out of her hands before running away but I couldn't bring myself to do it after how nice she had been to me yesterday.

Jiwon: Oh! Jahoon! You are here!

I was brought back from my train of thoughts when suddenly Jiwon said my name. I looked at her surprised as she looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter