Chapter 4 - She

MAYDAY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

"There is something about her energy..." 

"She smiles, but there is something behind that smile..."

"There's a storm that she hides..." 


They just clicked, without even noticing it...

 

Areum checked the parameters again, making sure that everything was in order before she leaned back in the chair and observed the night sky. She was left alone in the cockpit as Baekhyun and Chanyeol excused themselves for a moment, promising to return soon, as they were just going to grab something to eat. That was alright since Areum had no problems in handling the flight itself. 

It was a peaceful night and there were no storms or drastic weather changes, allowing things to go smoothly. It felt nice to be in the sky again, she felt free, she felt like her old happy self again. It gave her energy again, it was like a new life was given to her and there were no words she could use to describe it. Only now did she realize how much she loved flying and how much she missed it. 

"I brought you some coffee and some food," Baekhyun smiled as he returned to the cockpit. "I haven't seen you eat anything, and night flights can be tiring." 

"T-thank you," She smiled softly. "But, really. I am fine." 

"Eat, relax," he said, placing the tray in front of her, before going back and sitting in his seat. "I'll make sure everything is under control." 

She nodded her head as she took a sip out of her coffee. Chanyeol stayed in first class, as he was chatting with the crew, something he usually does on calm flights like this one. There was nothing but silence in the cockpit as Baekhyun let her eat in peace. To be frank, it was the first time working in such an atmosphere, either the copilot was too talkative, loud, or curious about everything, including Baekhyun's personal life, or Baekhyun would have to explain a lot of things and in some cases even go through the basics.

But Areum? That wasn't the case with her. She would talk when asked, no questions were asked, nor was she noisy. Every single thing Baekhyu had asked, she knew the answers to it and she would finish the task right away. According to her resume, she was off duty for some time and one would think that everything was forgotten but not in her case. It was defiantly something that amazed Baekhyun. To him, she was full of mysteries, and he wanted to learn more about her. 

But approaching her? That was going to be hard and the male was very well aware of that. Yes, she was friendly when talked to, but the wall she had around her was obvious and it always made him wonder why. He knew that she had a reason for it, but what could that reason be? The male had made it his mission to be friends with her and he will do whatever it takes to make that happen. 

Areum finished her meal and got up from her seat, to return the tray, despite the fact that Baekhyun had told her to leave the tray in the cockpit, but Areum didn't want to cause a mess for the crew, besides it would be good if she stretches her legs for a moment. 

"Do you need anything?" She asked, before leaving the cockpit. 

"I'm fine, thanks Are," Baekhyun smiled, as he looked at her over his shoulder. "You can take a nap if you'd like." He added. 

"Don't worry about that," She softly replied and left the cockpit.

As she walked out of the cockpit, she saw the main flight attendant talking with Chanyeol and the two of them seemed to be flirting with each other. Areum chuckled slightly and excused herself as she passed by them in the narrow part of the plane. She left the tray on the counter and poured herself an extra cup of coffee. As she turned around to head back, she met face to face with Chanyeol, who was grinning. 

"Please take these chocolate bars to Baek," He smiled. 

"Alright," She blinked, a bit confused. 

"I need to help the staff here, you know..." 

Areum chuckled and nodded her head. "I completely understand," She winked and headed towards the cockpit. 

As she walked inside, Baekhyun smiled as he turned to look at her. She sat down in her seat and put her coffee cup down, before handing him the chocolate bars. 

"Chanyeol sent you this, as he is busy helping the staff," Areum spoke. 

"Yeah, it's a hectic flight, wouldn't you say?" Baekhyun handed her one of the chocolate bars and the two laughed it off. "So, I am curious..." 

Areum looked at him for a moment and nodded her head. "Go ahead," 

"I will admit, I am satisfied with your skills, and the knowledge you have, according to the papers you went to the most prestigious piloting school, and top grades as well, so who was your instructor?" 

"Ahn Junsu," She replied with a slight smile. "He had taught me everything I know about piloting, tricks, troubleshooting, engineering as well." 

"The legendary Junsu," Baekhyun grinned. "How long was he your instructor?" 

He wanted to learn more about her, especially since there was something missing. She had been inactive for some time. Of course, Baekhyun knew his limits and knew what he should and shouldn't say, and how to ask certain questions without making her feel uncomfortable. 

"For about 3 and a half to 4 years or so," She replied. "He sure is a legend, strict when needed, relaxed when needed, but loved by many." 

"I couldn't agree more," Baekhyun agreed. "And what about your motivation? Why did you choose to be a pilot? Don't get me wrong, I am just curious because from my experience not many women are interested in it." He smiled softly. 

She laughed lightly. "You wouldn't be the only one to have asked me that same question, so really, it's fine. And to answer you, well I like the sky. It's a type of freedom, it's a world that is completely different. It allows you to travel through it, to explore it, the clouds themselves create their own stories, and the stars always lead the way. It's an escape. If I had to choose it all over again, my choice would be the same. And what about yourself?" 

What exactly are you escaping from? Baekhyun's mind started to race as her words lingered above his head. 

"My father was my inspiration, I had watched him work so hard that I found myself following his footsteps, and I don't regret it." He looked at her. "But I also agree with your statement, flying is one hell of an experience, it's addictive, to say the least." 
 


Tick. Tock. 

Aside from the ticking noise of the clock nothing else could be heard in the room. Dal was sitting in his chair, with a smirk on his face, and a drink in his hand. He was back in town and he had a good reason for it. He was furious, like a wounded animal and it was time for him to awaken and have his revenge. An evil laugh escaped, as he took another sip out of his glass. 

Knock. Knock. 

A knock on the door disrupted his thoughts, making him turn his focus somewhere else. "Enter."

"Sir?" The man spoke, as he walked inside.

"Did you get the information I asked for?" 

"Yes, I have. She s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter