Chapter 7 - Beach Moments

MAYDAY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Are you alright, little one?" 

"Ari! You scared me! I thought I told you to stay close. Are you alright?"

 

Seeing her with a child evoked something in him... something he never experienced before... 

 

It was early afternoon as Baekhyun and the guys decided to play volleyball, it was three on three as Baekhyun was the judge. He usually would have played, but since they were missing one player he decided to be the judge. The male sat on one of the chairs and smirked. Chanyeol kept serving the ball as Kai waited for it on the other side. Luhan was on Chanyeol's team and certainly one of the best players in beach volleyball, while Kyungsoo was on Kai's team. They were also good players, so it was hard for both sides, that was for sure. 

"Out!" Baekhyun called out. "Kai's team gets the ball."

Chanyeol threw the ball over the net to Kai and got into position, ready to attack back, as Luhan took two steps back, in case the ball serve was stronger. Kai served the ball and it went flying directly towards Luhan who in a matter of seconds hit the ball and returned it back over the net, as Kyungsoo moved quickly to hit it back. It was a continuous battle between the four men and despite it being a friendly game, the fire in their eyes created it into a competition. Baekhyun wrote down the points and he was amused by their behavior; that was childish at times and somehow they had no much energy to continue playing despite playing for quite some time. 

Eventually, Baekhyun stopped counting and decided to go buy some more drinks and maybe some snacks at the nearby store. He placed the pen on the table and got up, taking his wallet and phone. Besides, stretching his legs wasn't a bad idea and clearing his mind. 

"I'm going to go buy some more drinks," Baekhyun called out to them. "Do you guys want anything else?" 

The guys shook their heads as they continued to play. At this point, nothing else mattered to the boys except for winning. Once they start something there was no stopping them. Baekhyun shook his head and waved before walking off. As he reached the sidewalk, he cleaned the sand off his feet and slipped back into his shoes. It was a weekday so it wasn't as crowded and it was easy to move around without bumping into anyone. He placed his hands in his pockets as his mind wandered off once again. He had no control over it anymore and he had started to give up. 

***

As Baekhyun walked out of the store he decided to take a shortcut back through the picnic area. There were a few tables that were taken so Baekhyun made sure to not pass right next to them, so he walked in between the empty tables. 

"Mom!" 

He heard a little girl yell out and by instinct he turned toward the direction, making him stop for a moment. His eyes widened and his heart skipped a beat as he saw Areum. 

"Yes, sweetie?" Areum told the little girl, as she caressed her cheek. 

"We are thirsty,"  

The other woman that was sitting with them reached for the backpack and took two bottles out of it, handing them to Areum. 

"Here," Areum smiled as the girl took the two bottles and hugged them. 

***

Of course, there was nothing bad in it. Having a child was not a crime, but he was just surprised that she never mentioned it. Usually, when one has a child they like to talk about it, after all, their kids are their life and they are proud of them, especially mothers, but Areum didn't, as a matter of fact, every time Baekhyun tried to get to know her better, somehow she would try to be short in her answers, or quickly change the topic. At that time, Baekhyun didn't think too much of it, thinking that she was a bit too shy, but now that he rewinds some things in his mind... it strikes him as odd. 

As he turned the corner things happened so fast that he found himself holding a little girl from falling. He looked down at her as her small body trembled. 

"Are you alright, little one?" Baekhyun asked softly. 

The little girl nodded her head as she looked at him. "S-sorry, s-sir,"

He blinked as he realized that it was none other than the little girl that he saw earlier in the day. Areum's daughter. He wanted to say something, but he heard Areum's voice as she ran towards them. She was followed by another girl, the woman from earlier, and two men were behind them, but he couldn't see their faces clearly. Baekhyun stood up straight, looking at Areum who at that time only focused on her daughter.

"Ari! You scared me! I thought I told you to stay close," Areum sighed. "How in the world... are you alright?" 

"Sorry, mom..." Ari hugged her mom. "I lost control for a moment on my roller skates... I didn't mean to scare you." 

Areum closed her eyes for a moment, hugging her daughter, as Baekhyun watched them. 

"Thank you-" Areum stopped speaking in the middle of the sentence once she saw who it was. "Baek... Thank you." 

"Areum," He smiled. "Please I just did what anyone would do, prevent a child from falling,"

She was about to say something but Chanyeol appeared suddenly. 

"Yeol?!" Jongdae shouted out, gaining attention. 

"Jong?!" Chanyeol blinked as the two men hugged each other. 

"Wait... you two know each other?" Areum asked, surprised. 

"I know this brat since High School!" Jongdae explained. "Wait... he's the engineer?" 

Areum nodded her head. "That's the one,"

Junmyeon observed the men before reaching his hand out toward Baekhyun. "Kim Junmyeon. Areum's brother." He smiled. "This is Eun, my wife, and Nari, my daughter." 

"Nice to meet you," His wife bowed slightly. 

"Hello," The little girl said shyly.

"Byun Baekhyun," The latter smiled as they shook each other hands. "Nice to meet you all, as well. You have an adorable daughter, and so do you Areum." 

"Thank you," Areum and Eun said in one voice, as the two girls hid behind their moms, shyly. 

Baekhyun smiled as his heart skipped a beat again as if he had no control of it either, just like he had no control of his mind. That little girl resembled her mom so much, that it was unbelievable. Seeing Areum with her daughter evoked a feeling in him, something he couldn't describe nor did he ever experience such a thing... but he liked it as he felt something warm and fuzzy in him. If he denied it... it would be a lie... and he might be able to lie to others but to himself? Never. 

"Why don't you and Areum go buy drinks and I will take them down to the beach where we are, huh?" Chanyeol suddenly spoke as Jongdae agreed with the idea. 

"Don't we have a say in this?" Areum spoke, crossing her arms across her chest. "Jongdae?"

"W-" Junmyeon was about to say something but Jongdae stopped him.

"You do not, clearly," The latter rolled his eyes. "Now, you two," He said pointing to Areum and Baekhyun. "Get the drinks and we will settle everything else." 

There wasn't time or space for anyone to say or react as Jongdae and Chanyeol already had their way and there was no arguing with them. The two little girls followed them as well, but they were giggling from excitement. Baekhyun couldn't help but smile as he and Areum watched them leave. 

"Let's go get those drinks," He smiled. 

"Let's go,"
 


The male squinted his eyes as he watched the two head down the road. Anger boi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter