Chapter 3 - Craziness And a Mystery

MAYDAY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

"Kim Areum..." 

"She's a mystery, and I like mysteries..." 


 

It has been a freaking week since sh*t went down and Baekhyun was tired of meetings, calls, paperwork, interviews, witnesses, recordings, and whatnot. And today was no different.

"Contact the control tower, ask permission for landing," The pilot ordered. 

"This is Korea Air 221, do you copy?" 

"Korea Air 221, we copy you. Go on?" The controller almost immediately answered. 

"We ask for permission to land," The first officer said, checking the screens in front of him.

"Korea Air 221, prepare for landing on runway A3, on your West," The controller replied. "Decrease your altitude to 2100, approach at 3 degrees, and look out for wind sheer." 

"Roger," The copilot turned off the radio, turning his attention to the captain. 

"Make it 2000, 2 degrees approach," The captain ordered. 

"What? But the-" 

He cut him off. "I know what they said, but you do what I say!" 

"Y-yes..." The copilot answered. "2000, 2 degrees."

TERRAIN! PULL UP! TERRAIN! PULL UP! 

Alarms started going off in the cockpit, as the situation was crazy in a matter of seconds. 

"Pull up!" The copilot panicked.

"Focus on the runway! Ignore the alarms!" The captain hissed. 

"Korea Air 221, do you copy?" The controller suddenly said. "What are you doing?! You are off course! Pull up and do a go-around!" 

There was nothing but silence in the meeting room as the men listened to the recording, over and over, discussing every single detail about it. The investigation team was there as well, and it was mandatory to provide all the evidence they had. The evaluation team was there as well, as they were in charge of medical reports and health check-ups. It was a scre*up and the pilot was definitely to blame, but why did he make such a death dive? That was something they were about to find out. 

"What's the flight status of Mr. Yoo?" One of the men spoke up. 

"Suspended until further notice," Baekhyun answered simply. "Is the medical report out?" 

One of the men walked up to where Baekhyun was sitting and handed him the file, bowing and going back to his seat. Baekhyun opened the file and read the report. His eyes widened in shock, as he didn't understand how this could have happened. He pushed the file over to one of the elders, asking one of the other men to spread the papers to everyone in the room. There were silent whispers amongst the members. 

"You will find me the doctor who did this report," Baekhyun turned to Chanyeol. "Contact the detective in charge and go with him."

The boy excused himself and left. 

"How often are mental examinations done?" One of the members of the investigation team asked. 

"Every three months," Baekhyun answered. "It goes according to the rule book, but that is about to change." 

"According to the books, yes." The man paused for a moment. "You can't just change what is in the rulebook."

"Okay," Baekhyun leaned in his chair. "Let's assume that I don't, and this happens again, but with casualties? What then? Will you come to me and tell me the same thing? Who will bring the dead people back? Am I supposed to apologize only? Pay the damage? Sure. But how does that change things, huh?" 

The members looked at each other, but no one dared to object. After all, the male was right, and there was no arguing with that. 
 


"Mommy?" 

"Yes, sweetie?" Areum smiled as she heard her daughter call out.

"Can you help me with math?" The little girl asked, carrying her books over to the table. 

"Of course," Areum patted the empty spot next to her. 

The little girl walked over to her mom and placed the books on the table. "I hate math!" The little one huffed, crossing her arms across her little chest. 

Areum ruffled her daughter's hair and chuckled. "Many do, sweetie. Now, let's take a look and find the problem." 

The girl opened her textbook and pointed at the mathematical question she did not understand. Areum picked up the pencil and turned a new page in the girl's notebook. It wasn't as hard as it seemed to the little girl, but what confused her the most was the 'x' number and no matter how many times she tried to get it right it was impossible. 

"Okay, Sweetie. So to find the 'x', you need to multiply this number with this number, the result you get is your answer. It's all about using the time's table sweetie, it's something you have already learned." She smiled, patting her daughter's head.

"Or I am just stupid when it comes to math," The girl pouted. 

"You are not stupid-" 

"My friend said so!" Ari cut her off. "He was right!"

Areum's eyes widened in shock as she heard the words that were coming out of her daughter's mouth. 

"Ari!" 

The girl blinked, looking at her mom.

"This is the first and last time I want to hear those words coming out of your mouth! You are not stupid, you are the smartest girl I know, and don't let others tell you otherwise. Not everyone is good at a certain subject, but that doesn't mean they are stupid." Areum caressed her daughter's cheek. "You have other talents, you are good at playing the piano, gymnastics, and whatnot so that so-called friend of yours is not a real friend. Friends don't do that to friends, never allow anyone to belittle you, alright sweetie?" 

The little girl nodded her head as Areum embraced her daughter. What Ari had told her triggered some very unpleasant moments from her past and it reminded her of Dal. Her ex-husband would do the same thing, he would constantly call her stupid, and look for every possible way to insult her. That's why she promised herself that she will never allow her daughter to get hurt that way. She will teach her to stand up to such people, and not allow them to come near her. If Areum went through sh*t, her daughter doesn't have to. 

"Promise me you'll stay away from such people, okay?" 

"I will," The girl replied. 

"That's my girl," Areum smiled. "Now, let's finish this homework, so we can eat something and get you ready for school. Your first class is at 10, right?"

"Yup," The girl confirmed. 

"Alright." 

They focused their attention back on math as Areum continued to explain the mathematical questions as Ari did the writing. Areum enjoyed helping her daughter with her homework, as it was fun, especially when they had to craft something for class.

"I need to go wake up Nari, can you finish that up, sweetie?" 

The girl nodded and continued her focus on what she was doing. Areum kissed the top of her daughter's head and got up. As she walked up the stairs her phone went off and she reached for it. It was a reminder of the things she needed to do today. Also, she had a night flight, so she wanted to get things done before leaving for work. She put her phone away and continued on. 

As she entered Nari's room, the girl was still snuggled under the covers, sound asleep. Areum walked up to her bed and sat on the edge and shook the girl gently. 

"Nari, sweetie," She called out. "Time to get up."

"Five more minutes, aunt," The girl complained like a baby. 

Areum chuckled, shaking her head. "I wish sweetie, but you need to get ready for school." 

"Tell your brother that I don't want to go to school," She huffed, turning to the other side. 

"My little rebel, come on," Areum smiled, pulling the covers off of her. "The weekend is almost there, then your dad will take you and Ari to the Zoo, and the two of you can play all day long." 

"I still don't want to go to school," The girl complained. "But fine..." She pouted, sitting up in bed. 

"You'll get a surprise if you do," Areum winked, getting up from the bed and walking over to the girl's closet to get her uniform ready. 

The girl widened her eyes and quickly jumped out of the bed, running into the bathroom. Areum found it funny as her daughter was the same. Waking her up in the morning was like mission impossible, so the mention of surprises worked like a trick, for both her daughter and niece. But it was understandable, after all, it's rare for kids their age to like school and mornings. 

Areum walked out of the room and called Ari to come upstairs to get dressed. Both of the girls went to the same school, just different grades, but they still hang out together during lunchtime, heck, they did everything together, even after-school activities. Ari came running up the stairs and straight into her mom's hug. 

"I didn't pack up my books for today though," Ari looked up at her mom.

"Don't worry about that, I'll do it." Areum smiled, looking at her daughter and running her hand through the girl's hair. 

"Do you need help getting dressed?" 

The girl shook her head "I'm a big girl. I can do it." 

"Mhm, you indeed are," 

Ari ran off to her room and Areum headed for the kitchen to prepare breakfast. She didn't want to bother any of the maids to do it, since they already had a lot of business in the garden, besides Areum loved to cook, and cooking for her two favorite girls was never a problem. As she entered the kitchen, she started preparing the ingredients right away, throwing her glance at the clock just to be sure that they had enough time. 

"Did you count me in it?" A familiar voice said, causing her to turn around. 

"Is that even a question?" Areum smiled brightly. 

Jongdae walked over to her giving his cousin a big tight hug. 

"How was the business trip?" Areum finally asked once they broke off the hug. 

"It was very boring, but at least, the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter