Chapter 22 - Healing

MAYDAY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"How is she?"

"She is still under shock..."


It gets better in time... it has to...


Jongin took Jieun into their bedroom and also took some DVDs so that he could get her attention off of what was happening in the living room. Eunji and his mother-in-law were talking and it was overwhelming. He could hear her shouting as her sobs were alarming. She was breaking down. Like the house of cards, and he didn’t know how much she held that pain inside of her until now. 

Until today. 

“Daddy...” Jieun mumbled. 

“Yes, sweetheart.” 

“Should we get momma with us?” 

His heart clenched. What to say to an almost 6-year old very intelligent child. He sighed. 

“No, momma has to do something she should have done a long time ago,” he explained. 

The girl pouted. “But momma is crying, daddy...” 

He closed his eyes. 

“I’ll check on them, you continue watching,” he kissed her temple. 

He got up and walked to hear only silence. He thought for a moment they left. Or Eunji perhaps managed to make her leave. But then he heard one of them taking a deep breath. 

“In your eyes I am bad, I know,” the older woman began speaking. 

“In my eyes? You emotionally deprived me of mother’s love when I needed it,” Eunji shouted, “What the have you done when I came back from jail? Who has waited for me? It was Chanyeol and his family! He lifted me THE UP WHEN IT SHOULD BE YOU!”

“I did. Because I myself couldn’t handle myself, the constant change of moods was rapid, everything was crumbling down, I did what I did so you’d go from me before you suffocate... You stayed to look after me and I didn’t want you to do that,” the woman said sternly, “I was like your friend Areum...I was strong, I never allowed or gave anyone to be their burden. I hated that. I detest what you were doing...You don’t understand what disorder can do to you...”

He listened carefully to each word as his heart clenched. He wished that he had the power to take it all away and fill Eunji’s heart with happiness and nothing else. He didn’t like to see his wife suffer. 

Eunji looked at her. “I did that because I care for you, you were my mother. I wanted you to be happy. I wanted to lift the burden you had to carry...”

The woman took her hands. “No... I am a mother, I should be able to look after you, and disorder, this monster didn’t allow me to be with you. If you had stayed, you’d be destroyed, you’d fall into my own chaos.”

Eunji looked at her. “What if I wanted to be in that chaos with you? Have you thought I didn’t want you to suffer either? I wanted to help you!” 

“And I didn’t need help! I needed you to be good. I brought this chaos on us! I let him ab--” 

“Stop it...” 

“I let him touch the only sacred thing to me, it’s my fault.” 

“It’s not your fault...Stop it...” 

Eunji held her head down and sobbed quietly. She fell into her mother’s arms. The elder woman sobbed. 

“My little girl...I am sorry...” 

Jongin turned to leave but little Jieun ran out. Before he could stop her, she ran towards Eunji and her mother. 

“Stop making my momma cry,” the girl pouted. 

Eunji looked at her and hugged her. “She is not making me cry, sweetheart,” she whispered. 

“Is that your daughter?” 

Eunji sniffed, whipping her tears. It was his cue. 

“Yes, she is. We adopted her.” Jongin explained. 

The latter glanced at him. It was a slightly different look than before, back then, she gazed at him as if he was her enemy. Now, it was more sophisticated. The woman looked at the little girl who was frowning and refused to let go of Eunji. 

“I haven’t come to harm your momma or papa, I came to apologize to them,” she whispered. 

Jieun tilted her head. “You did something bad to them?” 

“Yes. I am not proud of it,” she murmured, “but I want to fix my mistake.” 

“Momma says we should forgive people who really want to change,” Jieun says. 

Jongin smiled at her. 

“I am sorry I made your mom cry,” the latter spoke gently. 

Jieun bit her lip and tugged her hand forward. “I’ll show you my toys as a sign of truce.”

The older woman blinked but followed. 

*

“Yes, they are currently playing with Jieun,” he smiled. 

“I am glad, it should be done. The moment Chanyeol mentioned that she underwent treatment it means she may be willing to consider rekindling the relationship with Eunji.” Areum said. 

“It was emotional, you should have seen it. It makes sense why she was so angry.” 

“Disorder can do magic. Ma wouldn’t act the way she did if she was healthy. He has brought that disorder to her. Ma has been denying it” Areum stressed. 

Jongin sighed. “I must go, I am supposed to start on dinner.” He said, “I only called to say thanks.” 

“Oh, Baekhun wants to know if you guys are up to going somewhere together out of town for a couple of weeks?” 

Jongin blinked. “But what about work? I am only contro-” 

“Chanyeol said he’ll cover you. Since my dad is gonna stay most likely to cover me.” Baekhyun explained. 

“I will talk to her, can I get back to you later?” 

“Of course, we are gonna be up anyway.” 

Jongin hung up. The vacation doesn’t sound like a bad idea but he will definitely talk to Eunji.
 


“How is she?” Baekhyun asked placing a cup of tea in front of Areum, as she sat down on the stool.

“Still under shock,” Areum sighed. “Although she won’t talk about it…” 

Baekhyun walked over to Areum, hugging her from behind. “I have an idea.”

“I’m listening,” Areum said, leaning on his chest.

"Since we all have a mini-vacation,” He said, kissing the top of her head. “The three of us will spend time together, and cheer Ari up.” 

“Are you sure? I mean the airline-”

“My father and mother will take care of it,” He smiled. “My two girls are more important. Besides, the holidays are approaching, the trials won’t bother us for now, so we can recharge.” 

Areum smiled and nodded her head. “Thank you, Baek. I don’t even know-” 

“Hush,” He nuzzled her. “You got under my skin from day one.”

Areum raised an eyebrow. 

“Your aura, behavior, personality, intelligence,” He whispered. 

“Hush,” She mumbled. 

“I can still remember what you told me on our first flight, and how blunt you were.” 

She chuckled as she remembered the events from that night. 

***

“What would you do if I told you to increase the speed, decrease the altitude, and land? Despite what the ATC tower tells you,” He said, turning the autopilot. 

“I would call you either drunk, drugged, or insane,” Areum blinked. “Who the heck wants to do a death dive? What did the first officer do?” 

Baekhyun blinked and titled his head. She sure surprised him, but he liked the attitude. “What would you do in the place of the first office?” He answered her questions with a question. 

“I would take control, regardless of the punishment later. I prefer the safety of the passengers,” She replied automatically. 

“I’m impressed,” He nodded his head, smiling. 

“Damn woman…” Chanyeol chuckled. “As for your previous comment…” The male smirked. “He might be a little insane, sometimes drunk, but never drugged.” 

***

“From the get-go, there was something about you,” He spoke again. “Something that urged me to get to know you better. Do I regret it? No.”

She blushed at his words. “Crazy…” She mumbled. 

“For you,” He winked. 

“I’ll go check on Ari,” Areum smiled, getting up. 

“Avoiding me, huh?” He teased. 

“Who? Me?” She pointed to herself. “I would never.” 

“Sneaky,” He chuckled. “Let’s go see the princess.” 

The two walked up the stairs and to her room. The door was slightly slid open and Areum knocked before calling out for her. “Ari?” 

“Yes, mom?” The little girl replied, sniffing. “I can’t sleep.” 

Areum walked inside, turning the light on. Ari was sitting on the bed and hugging her knees. 

“Come here,” Areum spoke softly. 

The little girl crawled into her lap. Areum smiled, running her fingers through the little one’s hair. Baekhyun watched the two as his heart clenched. That child was going through a lot, all because of Dal, and it was killing Baekhyun from the inside. 

“It’s alright, baby,” Areum whispered. “I am here and you are safe.” 

“Why does he hate us?” Ari asked. “Why can’t he just leave us alone?” 

How does one answer that? What kind of answer does one give a child? 

“Grown-ups do things we can’t always understand,” Areum spoke softly. “But we will get rid of him. I promise.” 

“Why don’t we order pizza and some snacks?” Baekhyun said. “Disney movies and Ari snuggles with us, huh?” 

“Can we mom?” The little girl asked. 

“Of course,” Areum smiled.

Baekhyun kissed Ari’s forehead and smiled. “I’ll see you two soon.” He smiled. 

Ari smiled, hugging her mom. “Thanks, Pa.” 

Baekhyun winked, getting up and walking out of the room. 

“While he orders, let’s get you in your PJs.” 

The girl smiled and nodded her head. 

*

The three of them snuggled in as the movie played, while they enjoyed the pizza. Ari was able to smile and relax a bit more as she watched her favorite Disney movie. It was late and surely by now Ari was supposed to be asleep, but Areum let her up and didn’t force it. Her daughter had been through a lot, so seeing her smile and laugh was something good, besides there was no school, so she could sleep in. Once they finished eating, Areum and Baekhyun quickly cleaned up and joined Ari under the covers again. Ari snuggled against them, leaning her head on her mom’s chest. 

“Sleepy?” Areum asked. 

“A bit…” The girl mumbled. 

“Try to get some sleep,” Areum smiled. “Okay?”

Baekhyun puffed up the pillow for her. “ Here you go, Princess.” 

“Thank you,” Little Ari said before she snuggled under the covers as Areum tucked her in. 

“Sweet dreams,” She kissed her daughter’s forehead. 

“Sleep tight,” Baekhyun whispered. 

“Night, ma. Night, pa.” 

The little girl closed her eyes and soon drifted off to sleep.

*

“No…” Ari mumbled. “Leave my mommy alone!” 

Areum blinked her eyes open, followed by Baekhyun. “Ari?” They both called out to the girl that was tossing and turning. 

***

“Get back here!” Dal hissed. 

“Leave my mommy alone!” Little Ari screamed. 

“Ari! Run!” Areum screamed. 

Little Ari couldn’t see anything, only hearing voices and laughter that followed after the screams. 

“Where are you?” Ari started crying. 

***

“Ari!” Areum called out. “Wake up.” 

Areum gently shook the child, while Baekhyun wiped her sweaty forehead. The little girl opened her teary eyes, looking at her mom. She automatically hugged Areum, sobbing. Areum patted her back gently, rocking her back and forth. Baekhyun sighed, reaching for the water bottle that was on the nightstand and opening it for Ari.

“I couldn’t see you,” Ari sobbed. “Dal was after you and I kept screaming for him to leave you alone but…”

“Drink some water,” Baekhyun gently said. 

“It was only a dream,” Areum kissed her daughter. “It was only a dream.”

Baekhyun saw the signs. His own mother used to have night terrors, each night she'd mumble different things. But to him, this triggered the earliest memories. His own mother never forgot her first marriage. But Ari wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter