Chapter 10 - So Close

MAYDAY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Come on Are, pick up!"

"We don't have much information."
 

They were so close... but they came out as heroes.


“MAYDAY! MAYDAY! MAYDAY!”

“This is ATC, we hear you!” The controller said. “What’s the emergency?!”

“We have DETRESFA,” Baekhyun said quickly. “We need to land ASAP!”

They both struggled with keeping the airplane in a stable condition as the turbulence became stronger. It was possible to land with one working engine but it required a lot of power and effort. The metal bird was out of control and at this point, it had a mind of its own. The gravity was doing its thing and it was really difficult to keep a focused and straight mind.

“Korea Air 332, we can see you on the radar,” The controller said again. “There should be a clear field in front of you, can you see it? Can you land there Korea Air 332?”

STALL! STALL! STALL!

“Shut engine one!” Areum called out to Chanyeol.

Without asking he did what he was told. The plane went silent as it slid through the air like a giant steel kite. Areum let go of the controls, looking at Baekhyun. Of course, he knew what to do, and the two placed their hands on the controls. As the airplane lost even more altitude both of the pilots gave the sign and Chanyeol started the engines again. As both engines were restarted a loud bang was heard from engine two and the airplane shook some more.

Areum pulled the controls down after Baekhyun did the same. The airplane dived down, but now they were able to see the clear field. They were aware it was going to be a bumpy landing but they had no choice. It was either that or crash into the mountain. Option one sounded better, surely. 

“Gear down!” Baekhyun ordered.

“Gear down!” 

They buckled up as they held on tightly. As the flaps were working well so the last part of the plane came slamming down followed by the front part, as it slid through the field and came to a stop, leaving ruins and small pieces behind as the plane split into two parts. Silence settled between the trees as the smoke rose above. 

Baekhyun wasn’t sure how long it had passed since the plane crashed… all he knew was that his head was killing him from the impact and that he had a buzzing noise in his ears. But that, however, wasn't important, as he needed to check on the others. He grimaced as he unbuckled to check on Areum and Chanyeol. He moved out of his seat and leaned towards Areum, whose head was thrown forward.

“Are?” He called out as he moved her carefully back into the seat, his heart racing fast, as fear slowly started to take him over.

There was a bit of blood going down her temples, but she was alive, he could feel her pulse, making him sigh in relief. He then moved back to check on Chanyeol and thankfully the latter was alive. Bakehyun lifted his head, as he could hear the helicopters. The scent of kerosene alarmed him, making him forget about the pain he felt in his leg. He understood the severity of the situation and he knew what he had to do.

“Dude…” Chanyeol mumbled through his groans.

“Are you alright?” Baekhyun asked, unbuckling Areum.

The male nodded his head. “And you? Areum?”

“I’m alive and she’s breathing. We need to get the passengers away from the plane!”

“My head…” Areum suddenly mumbled, grimacing from the pain.

“I know,” Baekhyun said softly. “Can you stand?”

She moved her legs, making sure that she can move them before nodding her head in confirmation. Baekhyun helped her out of the chair and the three quickly left the cockpit. Yes, they were in pain, they felt like fainting, but the adrenaline in them kept them awake. Passengers and kids were important and nothing else. Every minute mattered. The help was on the way as they could hear the sirens in the distance but in such situations, things change fast.

“OUT! Get them out of here!” Baekhyun hissed.
 


Korea Air 332 has crashed in the area of Busan. The medical staff there is evacuating people. So far there are no injured or dead. The reports are on the field.  

The news of the crash was all over the news and on the radio. It was the talk of the town and everything else was not important anymore. Junmyeon and Jongdae were in their office at that time still talking with Eunji as there were things to be discussed and it took longer than it should have.

Both of the men were going crazy, as they both tried to reach Areum or Chanyeol. It was ringing on both sides but no one was picking up and that caused even more panic. They tried to stay positive and not think about the worst-case scenario, but it was hard. The news they saw and heard wasn’t much of a help as they didn’t give concrete information on the real situation.

“Come on, Are!” Junmyeon hissed. “Pick up, please…” He paced up and down.

Eunji was frantic as well, trying to reach her husband as she wasn’t sure was he on the plane as well or not. But she had a strong hunch it wasn't him, but she wasn’t sure, she could be wrong, so she needed to check. His phone kept ringing and ringing. Jongdae refiled her glass of Chivas and she drank it all. And then he answered; after the millionth try.

“Jongin?” She called out.

“Yes, it’s me, sorry it’s hectic here,” He was in a panic, as he was rushing down the halls, his voice echoed.

“Thank god. You are gonna kill me one day. You know that?” She said. “I drank God knows how many glasses of Chivas.” 

Jongdae showed five fingers. Eunji widened her eyes in shock. Chanyeol wasn’t joking when he said her tolerance was very high. She blinked, shrugging it off as it wasn’t important at this point. She had questions and she needed answers. “That is not the issue. What happened? I heard the news about a plane crash.”

“We don’t know anything yet,” He tried to explain. “We as well, are trying to get more information, but at the moment things are crazy!”

“Areum… Ask for Areum,” Jongdae said from behind, trying to calm Junmyeon down.

“Jongin… do you know anything about Areum? She was supposed to fly today,” Eunji said.

“Areum, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol were on that plane,” He said. “They are alive but that’s all I know. As I said we are trying to get more information.” 

She had to sit. “Chanyeol was there... Oh my god… Okay, I am glad they are alive.”

Junmyeon, who was on the verge of it a moment ago, was now calmed down, once he heard that she was alive, but he continued calling her in hopes that he could reach her.  Eunji motioned him to sit, at least. “Okay, thank you. I’ll try and call them.”

“I will freaking do it!” Kai hissed at someone. “I need to run baby!”

“Go, go, finish so I can call them, Mr. Pilot.” Eunji tried to lighten up his mood before hanging up. 

“Pick up Areum!” Junmyeon hissed. “Her phone is ringing but no answer!” 

Eunji dialed her number and waited. The two males peered at her as if she was a miracle maker. Eunji hated that feeling, but she understood the situation they were in. She was on the verge herself, she poured another Chivas and drank it. The line opened. 

“Areum? Say something.”

“It’s Baekhyun,” The male spoke, breathing heavily.

Eunji mouthed Baekhyun. “Thank god. Is she okay? Is my cousin okay? What’s going on?!”

“She is fine and so is Chanyeol. We are getting the passengers away and she's with the kids,” Baekhyun said as he ran. “Everything is fine-” 

“You sure haven’t married her in secret?” Eunji teased.

“Yah! What the hell? Is this the time to joke around?!"

“Don’t ‘yah’ to me, Byun,” She narrowed her eyes. “Get in action while you still can.”

“Are, wait! Are you crazy? Let me do that!” 

“Help me get this kid out of here!” Areum replied in a panic.

“My ear... Okay, she is alive. Go back to work.” 

Tu. Tu. Tu.

Junmyeon couldn't stay still, he grabbed his jacket and ran out. “I need to go pick up Ari. She can’t know about this, that kid will lose it.”

“Can this day get worse?” Jongdae sighed.

Eunji was supposed to be back in her office, attending her work, but now hearing about Ari, something brought her to change her plans. She quickly texted someone before placing the phone back into her pocket and approaching them. 

“I’ll take Ari from school and watch her until Areum comes home.”

“Are you sure?” Jongdae asked. “It would be too much-” 

“It’s better than me being unfocused in my office.” She said, cutting him off. “And no, it’s not much. I want to help, it’s the least I can do. Don’t worry, it will be alright.”

“Thank you,” Junmyeon sighed in relief. 

Eunji smiled. “I best get going. If I am correct she is close to finishing classes, right?” 

“Eunji. Whatever you do, don’t tell her what’s going on, and pull her away from the source of information or TV.” Jongdae said.

“If she asks why she can’t go home, tell her something, anything!” Junmyeon jumped in. “Please…”

“I’ll bring her to Banpo-dong with me. Because journalists may come here. If they are not already,” Eunji told them as she gathered her things, getting ready to leave.

“Alright,” Jongdae said. “We’ll wait for more information and keep you updated.”

“And Junmyeon, do not search for him, I must warn you two again. Not while the case is still ongoing,” Eunji warned him. “Promise me you won’t.”

“I promise,” He sighed. “But-”

Jongdae looked at him. “Take a deep breath, okay?”

The latter sighed, shaking his head. “Here’s the address of the school she goes to, tell them I sent you. Kim Junmyeon, and use this passage to show them.” 

“Alright,” Eunji nodded and they all went their way.

Junmyeon needed the drive to calm down and Jongdae was with him. He called Eun to check up on Nari as well. Eun had k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter