Burden

Love House

Kyungsoo.

“Are you avoiding him?” Kyungsoo asks when Baekhyun walks downstairs, at first glance pretending to go to the living room, but upon seeing Chanyeol playing video games he did a one-eighty and walked to the kitchen, where Kyungsoo was making another round of coffee. It wasn’t too hard to believe that he was avoiding Chanyeol, especially after what happened the day before. They didn’t interact as much during dinner, and Kyungsoo has the feeling things will be awkward between them for a while.

“Of course not. I just remembered I want coffee.” Baekhyun pours coffee into his mug.

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. “This is your third cup. Do you really want more, or are you trying to increase your heart rate?”

“I’ll be fine.” Baekhyun takes a sip. However, he sets the mug down eventually. His next words come out in a whisper. “I just don’t know what to tell him.”

“Why? Because he was speaking too much truth?” Kyungsoo says.

“Watch where you’re going, sir.” Baekhyun points at him with his index finger. “Because I don’t need him to complicate things more.”

Kyungsoo hums. “Why would he complicate things if what he said wasn’t true?”

“You’re this close to being added to my blacklist.” Baekhyun narrows his eyes at him, putting his index and his thumb close to each other.

Kyungsoo laughs. “As if. I’m just saying, don’t just ignore his words, think about your feelings, too.”

Baekhyun sighs, shooting Chanyeol a glare. “We’ll see.”

Sehun then walks into the kitchen. “Morning.”

“Morning.” Baekhyun and Kyungsoo greet in unison.

“Has anybody heard from Jongin? He didn’t come home last night.” Sehun opens the fridge.

Kyungsoo’s heart sinks. He’s been worried about Jongin ever since he heard the other left in a rush. He hasn’t been able to contact him at all, so he’s afraid something bad might’ve happened.

“I tried calling him several times last night, but I just got his voicemail.” Kyungsoo sighs. “He hasn’t returned my texts, either.”

“Knowing him, he’s out of battery or something.” Baekhyun sighs. “Let’s not worry too much.”

“I’ll call Jun Hyung to see if he’s still with him.” Sehun takes a carton of orange juice out, pouring some for himself.

“Let me know. I just want to know if everything’s fine.” Kyungsoo bites his bottom lip. Something must’ve happened for him to just disappear like that. He’s sad he wasn’t there when he probably needed someone, and every minute that goes by is just a reminder of that.

Hopefully, everything is okay.

The door opens and they all turn, eyes wide. Hopeful. Junmyeon walks in and closes the door behind him. He drops his shoes by the entrance and walks in, blinking at the expectant faces.

“Hyung!” Sehun meets him halfway. “How’s Jongin? What happened?”

Junmyeon sighs, glancing at the three of them before he also drops his bag. “He’s fine. He had a family emergency, his mother is at the hospital and he had to go check on her. His phone died, in case any of you tried to call him.”

Kyungsoo is relieved to hear Jongin is okay, but his heart sinks again at the news of his mother not being fine. He hasn’t met her yet, however, he can only imagine what Jongin is going through.

“I’ll take a shower and give you guys all the hospital details in case you guys want to visit.” Junmyeon’s eyes land on Kyungsoo for half a second before he runs upstairs.

Sehun sighs. “That idiot should’ve said something.”

“He probably didn’t want to worry us. We should probably get him some clothes and other things.” Baekhyun says.

Kyungsoo nods. “I’ll make some food for him.”

He gets to it right away, cooking everything with nothing but Jongin on his mind. He truly hopes everything goes well. He can’t help but feel terrible about not being there for him earlier, as stupid as it might sound. Jongin probably has a lot on his mind right now. It might be too soon, but he wants to support him.

Kyungsoo knows that much, at least.

  • - -

“Alright,” Jongdae says, sitting back in his chair. His host cards pressed against his chest.

“Yeah.” Minseok drags the word. “A lot is happening.”

“First things first,” Yixing says. “We sincerely hope Jongin’s mother makes a smooth and quick recovery.”

“Of course, she has a responsible son, so I’m sure he’ll take good care of her.” Jongdae nods.

“For sure,” Minseok adds. “I’m sure they are all worried about him.”

“I would be too,” Jongdae says. “It’s a difficult situation to go through or to watch a friend go through. I feel like their response was appropriate. Just gather things and see how they can help.”

Minseok nods enthusiastically. “In other news, however… Baekhyun and Sehun and apparently Chanyeol?”

Jongdae gasps, clapping. “Yes! I did not expect Chanyeol to attack him like that.”

“He’s tired of waiting, it looks like… or tired of not doing anything,” Yixing says. He fans himself with his cards.

“Baekhyun is also going to be in the middle of a triangle, it seems.” Jongdae chuckles.

“He’s already there. Let’s hope it doesn’t get too spicy. We don’t want a season one incident again.” Minseok says.

Jongdae shakes his head. “Let’s hope we don’t get there. For now, we’ll have to see how it develops for both triangles.”

“True.”

  • - -

The hospital is as busy as one would imagine it to be. Since they got the information from Junmyeon, they didn’t stop by the front desk and walked towards the elevator instead. Baekhyun is carrying a bag with some of Jongin’s stuff, while Kyungsoo has the food and other things. Sehun and Chanyeol are simply standing on opposite sides of each other as the elevator goes painfully slow.

Kyungsoo’s stomach is burning with anticipation and nervousness.

He doesn’t even understand why.

A few people step into the elevator on the way to their floor. Kyungsoo doesn’t need the written instructions anymore. He memorized everything before they even left the house. He’s the one leading the way as they walk down the halls until they approach the designated room. His heart skips a beat.

Jongin is sitting outside. He’s not doing much other than staring at his shoes, wearing the clothes from the day before even. Kyungsoo can’t tell much from his profile about how he’s feeling, but he’s hoping to have them there would help him feel better at least.

“Kim Jongin,” Baekhyun greets a bit too loud. Kyungsoo sends him a look and Baekhyun’s eyebrows shoot up.

Jongin’s head jerks at the sound, and his eyes widen when he sees them. He sits there even when they’re closer to him, apparently surprised.

Because they’re there?

Would he want them there even?

He slowly stands up as he looks at each of them. “Hey.”

“How are you doing? We were worried when you didn’t come back.” Baekhyun says. Jongin blinks as if he can barely process the words.

“Uh… yeah, sorry. My sister couldn’t stay, so I had to.”

“Don’t apologize. Everything okay?” Kyungsoo takes a step toward him but refrains from touching him. Jongin looks overwhelmed and like he would disintegrate at the slightest touch.

“Yeah, she’s fine now. She’ll stay here for a couple of days though, so I might have to…” his voice trails off.

“Don’t worry,” Chanyeol says. “It’s not like the world will end if you’re away from the house for a few days.”

“We brought you some stuff.” Baekhyun hands him the bag. “We thought you might need some clothes and other things.”

Jongin nods. “Thank you.” His eyes find Kyungsoo’s.

Then silence.

“We’ll go check the cafeteria. We’ll be right back.” Baekhyun pulls Sehun and Chanyeol with him and the two stare at him in confusion.

“But we-”

“Cafeteria I said! Sehun.” Baekhyun pulls him again and smiles at Kyungsoo as they leave.

Kyungsoo sighs as he turns back to Jongin. “Did you eat anything yet? I brought some food.”

“I ate some chips and stuff.” Jongin shakes his head. “My mind has been everywhere.”

“I can imagine. I packed your charger, too. I called and texted a few times.”

“Oh, yeah, sorry.”

“It’s fine don’t apologize. I’m just glad you’re okay, and I’m glad your mother is, too.” Kyungsoo tries to give him his best comforting smile. He knows it can be difficult, especially when it’s someone you care about.

Jongin hums as he sits back down. Kyungsoo does the same, giving him the food he brought.

“There’s some in there for your sister, too. I didn’t know how much you would eat, but I tried to pack as much as I could.”

Jongin nods. “Thanks.”

“And don’t worry about the show, or the house, or anything else. Your family is first. It’ll be fine.” 

Jongin nods again.

“We’ll talk to everyone for you. Don’t worry.” He reaches out for the first time, patting Jongin’s arm gently. His brain could only think of potential solutions that would make Jongin’s life easier, even when the main thing he wishes he could fix is out of his reach. “I can bring more food tomorrow too, in case you-”

“You don’t have to. I don’t want to burden you with this.”

“It’s… not a burden, Jongin. It’s fine. I can do that.” Kyungsoo frowns. Jongin is not looking at him anymore.

“You don’t have to come. I’ll be fine. Actually…” Jongin inhales deeply. “I would prefer if you didn’t.”

“Oh…” Kyungsoo doesn’t know what else to say. Out of all the things he expected, this is not one of them. Of course, he didn’t expect Jongin to rely on him or anything but…

The alternative didn’t feel nice either.

“Is that… what you really want?” Kyungsoo looks away. His chest feels heavy on his ribs.

“I do.” There was no hesitation.

There’s silence for a moment as Kyungsoo takes his words in. Jongin doesn’t want him there with him. It could be because he was overwhelmed or sad. But the thought of him not wanting or needing him there hurt.

It hurts.

“Alright then.”