Love Villa

Love House

Kyungsoo.

 

This season’s Love Villa is not like any other. It surprised Kyungsoo the level of care they put into it this time. The concept of the love villa is for them to be away from everything and everybody. No phones allowed, just the two of them. That way, they would get to know each other on a deeper level and see if they’re really compatible or not.

They’re taken to a bungalow house, about twenty minutes away from the Love House. It’s sitting on top of a hill and the entrance already looks like it was brought out of a magical fairytale. The front yard is beautiful, covered in flowers and a white bench to the side. Kyungsoo could see himself relaxing on it at night.

Of course, the inside is just as impressive. The open concept is like the Love house, entrance, kitchen, living room. A hallway that leads to the bedrooms, and a shared bathroom. There’s a hot tub as well in the backyard. However, instead of a beach setting, it looks like a magical forest. Large trees and fairy lights dominate the space. There’s an outdoor table and a hammock hanging to the left.

It’s perfect.

Also, perfectly romantic.

And that makes Kyungsoo feel suddenly nervous.

It’s going to be just Jongin and him for the entire weekend. Together. Alone.

Just them.

A quick glance at Jongin tells Kyungsoo he’s realizing the same. Earlier it felt like their eyes were attached to the other, but now it’s hard to even look at each other. Once the production team left, they were all by themselves.

It feels awkward.

Kyungsoo clears his throat. “Should we check out the rooms?”

Jongin looks down at his shoes and nods.

They walk down the hall towards the bedrooms. Their shoulders brush slightly, and they both take a step back, glancing at each other, only to look away a few seconds later. Kyungsoo then walks ahead, trying to get some space to breathe. He opens the door to the first room. It’s like the rooms in the Love house, the arrangement, the color scheme.

Kyungsoo likes it.

They move towards the other one and it’s almost the same. They each go into a room and decide to reunite for dinner after getting settled. The sun is setting and they would have to figure out what to eat soon.

Relax, Kyungsoo. It’s just Jongin.

At least that’s what he keeps telling himself. He has nothing to be nervous about. They don’t know each other that well, but he’s only had a good time around him so far. Part of his brain thinks being nervous could be a good sign. It probably means he sees Jongin as a potential partner and not just a friend who he would be too comfortable with.

He sighs.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what he’s doing, and his brain is all over the place. So, when he walks out of the room and he finds Jongin inspecting the fridge, he can only take a deep breath.

Act natural.

“What do you have in mind?” Kyungsoo asks as he approaches the taller man. Jongin jumps, slightly startled, as he glances over his shoulder at him. He was probably not expecting him.

“Uh, I don’t know… but there’s ice cream.” Jongin says and Kyungsoo bursts out laughing.

“Ice cream?”

“I thought we could have some on the terrace and watch the sunset.” Jongin blushes furiously. He keeps his head almost inside the fridge to hide it. This is something Kyungsoo is used to now, and it also reminds him he’s not alone in this. Jongin is nervous too.

“Alright. Let’s do that… we can figure out dinner later.” Kyungsoo steps forward, standing maybe a bit too close to Jongin, as he grabs the ice cream from the freezer and then he moves away to serve it into two cups. He hands one to Jongin and they move to the terrace, sitting down on the steps. The beach is visible in the distance.

Looking at it from here, Kyungsoo notices the house is kind of far away.

There’s silence between them for a moment as they watch the scenery. They can see part of the town as well, tiny yellow and white dots lighting up as the sunlight disappears.

“I think this is our chance to get to know each other better, right?” Kyungsoo says, and Jongin nods in response. “I don’t even know your age. I didn’t think it was weird before, but now giving it some thought it is weird.”

Jongin chuckles. “I’m twenty-seven.” He eats some ice cream. “You?”

“Ah, so I’m older than you. I kind of figured.” He smiles. “I’m twenty-nine.”

Jongin’s bottom lip sticks out slightly. “That’s not that much older.”

“That’s two years.” Kyungsoo giggles. “That’s okay though.”

“When is your birthday?” Jongin turns to face him.

“January twelve.”

Jongin gasps.

“Mine is January fourteen.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen a bit. “Wait, really? We almost share.”

Jongin smiles, looking very pleased by this information. “We do.”

“And what do you do for a living?” Kyungsoo questions. He finishes his ice cream, so he sets his cup down.

“Uhh…” Jongin seems to think about it for a moment. “I do several things…”

“Like?”

“I’m in a band… I play the drums.” Jongin bites his bottom lip. “We’re not famous or anything, though.”

Kyungsoo laughs. “I kind of figured you would be the rock band type. What’s your band name?”

“Butterfly effect,” Jongin says and nods. “I also own a tattoo shop.”

Kyungsoo blinks. “A tattoo shop?” He then remembers their conversation about Jongin’s tattoos, about how he made some of them. It all made sense. “So, you’re also a tattoo artist.”

Jongin nods once again. “And…”

“Wait there’s more?”

Jongin chuckles. “The place I took you for our date kind of belongs to my family.” He shrugs. “So, I help there as well.”

Shock flashes into Kyungsoo’s eyes. Somehow, that made sense. He thought maybe Jongin simply went there often, and in a way that was true. He wasn’t lying when he said he did several things.

“What about you?” Jongin gazes at him, his eyes are shining with curiosity. It’s cute.

“I also own a business.” Kyungsoo says. “A restaurant, to be specific.”

“Oh, that’s why your food is so good.” Jongin shoots him a grin.

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “I still have a lot to improve, but I’m glad you like it. I love cooking, so I always hope it translates to my food.”

Jongin looks away. Fingers tapping over the wooden steps. “Your food makes me happy.”

“Really?” Kyungsoo’s smile widens. “I’m glad to hear that.”

Jongin shakes his head. “No. Your food makes me happy.” He says again and it takes Kyungsoo a few seconds to understand.

Those five words.

The letter.

Kyungsoo gasps, staring at Jongin. “You wrote that? No way.”

“I honestly didn’t know what to write.” He scratches the back of his head, avoiding eye contact. “I hope it wasn’t too lame, but at the moment that’s all I could think of. You always make our meals, and I somehow wanted to let you know I appreciated it.”

Kyungsoo stares in silence for longer than he probably should’ve. Jongin leans back, fingers still tapping on the wood. His eyes eventually land on Kyungsoo’s again and they stay there. There are so many words written on them.

“That’s sweet, I… the thing I like the most about cooking is watching people enjoy the food. That’s why I don’t mind cooking for everybody all the time. It feels natural to me.” Kyungsoo smiles. “Your letter made me very happy, too. Thank you.”

Jongin clears his throat, his cheeks flushing once again. “Well, I’m glad. I thought it was maybe too short or lame.”

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “None of those things.”

The sun is completely gone by now, so they’re just starting at the dark sky, covered in so many stars that it appeared to reflect the city.

“I sent you a letter too.” Kyungsoo says.

Jongin blinks. “Huh?”

“I sent you a letter too.” Kyungsoo repeats. “We exchanged letters apparently.”

“Oh.” Jongin says nothing else, but Kyungsoo knows what he’s feeling. It’s a strange type of happiness, the one that comes with knowing you’re reciprocated.

Kyungsoo feels it too.

“Want to help me make dinner?” Kyungsoo stands up.

“I would like that.”

They walk back inside, with the night sky now looking at them as they get ready to make dinner together. Nervousness forgotten and a whole weekend ahead of them to figure each other out.

Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad after all.