Are we still pretending?

Love House

The end of that weekend comes just as fast as it arrived, and it was better than Kyungsoo expected. Just because they didn’t go to the Love Villa together, that didn’t mean he and Jongin couldn’t do stuff together.

They watched movies all day Saturday, going out only for lunch. Then went for a beach swim on Sunday, to which Chanyeol and Junmyeon joined. Kyungsoo tried his best to not be bothered whenever Junmyeon approached Jongin, but he had to come to terms with the fact that along with the good feelings, there would be jealousy too.

He doesn’t know if he should talk to him at this point. Would that cause drama, or would it end the situation for good? Kyungsoo really hates confrontation, and it shows. He didn’t want it to be awkward between them later, especially because if he takes out the fact that Junmyeon also likes Jongin, he’s a hundred percent sure they could be friends. Good friends.

He noticed that he has a few things in common with Junmyeon. They both like to cook. They’re both pretty laid-back people. They both like Jongin.

How he wishes that last thing wasn’t true.

Regardless of anything, he feels like his connection with Jongin is pretty solid at this point. They spent a good weekend together.

When Baekhyun and Sehun walk into the house again on Monday, they look refreshed and relaxed. Kyungsoo wonders if that’s what he and Jongin looked like also that first weekend. They receive them in the living room with all smiles.

Except for maybe Chanyeol, who’s completely missing.

Sehun drops his bag by the entrance with Baekhyun walking in right behind him.

“Hello mortals, we’re back to bless you with our presence,” Baekhyun says. He’s wearing sunglasses, his hair is partly pushed back and he an easygoing smile is tugging at his lips. He almost runs towards Kyungsoo first, wrapping his arms around him. “Did you miss me?”

“It was just a weekend Baek.” Kyungsoo laughs, patting his back.

“You could still lie to me.” Baekhyun takes off his sunglasses and scans the room, almost as if he’s looking for something.

Or someone.

“Did you guys have fun?” Junmyeon wraps an arm around Sehun when he approaches and they both nod.

“It was very nice. The food was good, the place was great.” Sehun says.

“We even had a spa session. It was glorious.” Baekhyun nods. “I want to go back next weekend.”

They share a laugh, and it doesn’t go unnoticed to Kyungsoo the way Sehun keeps glancing at Baekhyun. He needs to talk to them separately because he has the feeling things are about to get complicated. Kyungsoo makes a mental note of this.

“Need help with the bags?” Jongin asks Sehun, and even when there’s only one bag, Sehun nods. They quickly grab it and disappear upstairs.

A genius idea.

Kyungsoo helps Baekhyun with his own bag and as soon as they close the door to Baekhyun’s room behind them, he can hear the deep sigh that escapes his friend.

“So…”

“So?” Baekhyun sits on his bed, staring at the ceiling fan.

“How did it go?” Kyungsoo pulls out the desk chair across from the bed and sits down. “Did you guys bond? Was it weird? How was it?”

“It wasn’t… weird,” Baekhyun says. “But…”

Kyungsoo waits. It looks like Baekhyun still has to process some thoughts.

“He told me he likes me.” Baekhyun blinks at the ceiling fan, almost as if he can’t believe what just came out of his mouth. “I had a feeling, because he’s been asking me out and all of that. He’s like a puppy.”

“I have a feeling there’s a but in there.” Kyungsoo smiles.

“I don’t know if there is. I like him, just… I don’t know if it’s the same feeling.” Baekhyun groans, lying down, making Kyungsoo chuckle.

“It’s fine to be confused. You can explore it all you want, or not at all.” Kyungsoo shrugs. “Do whatever you feel like doing.”

“I told him to give me time. I don’t think I’ll have it figured out in a week, so I don’t know what I’ll do next weekend.”

Kyungsoo sighs. “I wish I had answers for you.”

Things have barely cleared up for him, and even when he feels sure of his feeling and Jongin’s, they still have a long journey ahead of them.

“What about you and Jongin?” Baekhyun sits up suddenly. “I thought he and Junmyeon were…”

“Me too,” Kyungsoo shrugs. “I thought they would choose each other because of the rules, however, he…” he still could not believe it. “He decided to stay here, too.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widen. “So instead of going for the obvious pick, he just put a random name?”

Kyungsoo nods. “Yours actually.” He laughs.

“Well, then.”

Silence falls between them. After a moment, Baekhyun smiles at him.

“I’m happy for you. That’s some powerful confirmation if I’ve ever seen one.”

Kyungsoo grins, his heart swells at the memory. “I think so too.”

He walks out of the bedroom a moment later, closing the door behind him. It’s amazing the way these situations just happen when you have six people living in a house together. Kyungsoo walks downstairs, only to find Chanyeol playing video games and Jongin and Sehun watching. Even if it’s not romantic, definitely friendships have blossomed as well.

Kyungsoo opens the fridge and soon realizes they have to go grocery shopping. He’s been avoiding it for a while, but he needs to if he wants to make dinner and breakfast as well. He pulls out his phone to make a list when he feels Jongin’s presence next to him.

“Need help?” Jongin asks. Kyungsoo finds it cute the way Jongin always wants to help him cook. Every single time. He’s adorable.

Although Kyungsoo’s view of Jongin might be biased.

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “I’m making a list. Have to go grocery shopping.”

“Sounds fun!” Baekhyun says as he walks in. “I’ll go with you. I need to get a few things.”

Jongin then takes his phone out of his back pocket. Probably receiving a notification.

“Can I go too?” Chanyeol asks from the living room. He paused his game, looking at them with wide eyes.

Baekhyun sighs. “How can we even say no?” he whispers, making Kyungsoo chuckle.

“You can come too,” Kyungsoo says. He turns to Jongin, who’s frowning down at his phone. “Want to come?”

Jongin blinks, breaking out of some sort of trance. “Uh.” He glances at his phone and then back at Kyungsoo. “No, sorry.”

Kyungsoo tilts his head. “Everything okay?”

Jongin nods, but he then runs upstairs without a word. Kyungsoo debates the possibility of double-checking. However, whatever it is, he’s sure Jongin will tell him when he’s ready. And he probably doesn’t want to talk about it in front of everyone.

He takes a deep breath. “Want to tag along, Sehun?”

“I’ll pass.” He’s lying down on the couch at this point, so Chanyeol hands him the controller for the game. Sehun hits play and rotates his body so his head is upside down as he plays.

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Alright then, let’s go.”

He should’ve known.

Going grocery shopping with Baekhyun and Chanyeol is the same as going grocery shopping with two kids. It’s the same thing. They grab whatever they want, get distracted easily and Kyungsoo has lost them at least three times so far.

He doesn’t know how they do it.

Their cart is double than what he initially expected and he doesn’t know how to stop them from adding more things.

“Kyungsoo, look at this. Should we take this bread?” Baekhyun shows him the bag he’s holding.

“We already have two bags inside the cart.” Kyungsoo sighs.

“Yes, but this one has raisins in it… isn’t that interesting?”

Silence.

Chanyeol runs into their hall. “I found the chips section.”

“Oh! Let’s get some.” Baekhyun nods.

Kyungsoo’s had enough.

“Okay, that’s enough. We’re not taking anything else. Look at the cart.” He gestures at the overflowing cart. “We don’t even need half these things. Are you five years old? We’re taking the things on the list and you’re each taking two things you want and that’s it, or else you’re not coming with me next time.”

Chanyeol sulks and so does Baekhyun, at least they have the decency to look ashamed.

“Now take the rest of the stuff back to their shelves.”

“Yes.” The other two say in unison, quickly taking the non-necessary things back. Kyungsoo is relieved when they finally pay for everything and head back to the car.

“You’re both mentally ten years old.” Kyungsoo shakes his head as they load their bags into the car.

“We’re not,” Chanyeol says.

“Yeah buddy, that’s a great argument.” Baekhyun chuckles.

“Well, I’m at least fifteen mentally.”

“Can confirm, you argue like a fifteen-year-old.” Baekhyun shakes his head as he closes the trunk. “Good thing you’re embracing it. Accepting it is a good step.”

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow, shoving his hands into his pockets. “Are you doing that too? Or are you still in denial?”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“Are we still pretending you’re remotely interested in Sehun and not completely into me?”

Baekhyun freezes.

And so does Kyungsoo.

They stare at each other for a second that lasts an eternity. The shock takes over Baekhyun. He opens his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out.

“Hmm, I see.” Chanyeol turns around, getting inside the car.

Kyungsoo stares at the two of them with eyes wide open. What in the world just happened? Did Chanyeol just…?

Did he just say that out loud and then went on with his life like he didn’t just say a thing?

Baekhyun clears his throat, still frozen in time and place as he processes what he just heard. He’s speechless for once.

“We should go.” Kyungsoo pats his arm and the other nods, hurrying to the passenger seat.

Kyungsoo’s eyes go back and forth between them as he jumps into the driver’s seat and starts the car. He does not know what to say at a moment like this. Any deflection skills he may have had, are gone.

Once they get to the house, the three of them unload the bags and as soon as that’s done, both quickly disappear in opposite directions. Kyungsoo can only shake his head as he puts everything in place. He’s not even upset they didn’t stay to help. He can’t take the awkward mood between them any longer.

Sehun walks into the kitchen, snooping around the things they bought.

“Is Jongin upstairs?” Kyungsoo asks as he puts things in the pantry.

“Uh, no.” Sehun’s eyebrows shoot up. “He had to go out.”

“Did he say where he went?” Kyungsoo frowns.

“No, but I think something is off. He got a phone call, and I don’t know exactly what happened, but I think it was an emergency.”

“Emergency? What kind? Is he okay?”

Sehun nods. “I think so.”

Kyungsoo sighs as he thinks about this. Jongin seemed weird earlier after he checked his phone. Hopefully, it wasn’t anything bad. He pulls out his phone to call him.

It goes straight to voicemail.

Kyungsoo takes a deep breath as he sends a quick text.

“He should be okay, Jun-Hyung went with him.” Sehun finds the raisin bread and runs to the living room with it.

Kyungsoo can feel his stomach sink. He tells himself he shouldn’t be worried, but he is.

What kind of emergency could have Jongin be out of the house like that? Without sending a text or calling him?

He can only hope that everything is okay.