Objectively

Love House

Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun’s words do nothing but float around in Kyungsoo’s head all day. Lingering, poking. When he thinks they’ve vanished, they come back full force, making his heart skip a beat each time. He can barely concentrate on anything related to work. He’s overthinking, and he knows it. He has been following his heart so far, and he doesn’t even know why he’s so surprised about the possibility of him and Jongin choosing each other at the end of this every single time.

He doesn’t know everything about him yet, but he doesn’t think his feelings would change soon.

Of course he likes him. How could he not?

And probably he likes him enough to keep seeing him when filming is over.

Would Jongin feel the same way?

Kyungsoo glances at the clock. Jongin and Junmyeon had been out all morning and part of him wants to know how they’re doing.

And what they’re doing.

He’s overthinking again.

Kyungsoo sighs and tries to focus on work one more time. However, he ends up closing his laptop instead. His mind and heart are being too loud and he can’t think of anything above the noise. It is what it is, or at least that’s what he tells himself. If it’s meant to be, it will happen.

Part of him is urging him to close his heart; he doesn’t want to get hurt.

However, the other side of him reminds him of that weekend in the love villa. Jongin’s eyes, their conversations, the laughs, those small moments.

When was the last time you stood your ground over something you wanted?

It was probably years ago, when he quit his stressful job and decided to open his restaurant.

Maybe it was time to do the same.

Maybe…

  • - -

“Oh,” Jongdae says as he sits back in his chair. “Things are getting quite interesting.”

Minseok nods. “Jongin and Kyungsoo’s weekend together was absolute perfection, let me just say. Even coming back to reality, they did so well.”

“Did? Why are you talking in past tense?” Yixing frowns.

“Cover your ears for what I’m about to say, Xing.” Minseok chuckles. “Did you see Jongin and Junmyeon? They seem to get along well.”

“Maybe… but I don’t see any chemistry.” Yixing sighs.

“Our Yixing is biased.” Jongdae laughs. “We’ll have to see how it develops between them.”

“Objectively, if anything, I think it’s one-sided. Jongin has shown no interest in Junmyeon so far.” Yixing crosses his arms over his chest.

“Objectively, of course.” Minseok chuckles.

“In other news, Chanyeol and Baekhyun are patching things up apparently. Maybe there’s still hope there.” Jongdae mentions.

“Did you see the looks Chanyeol sends him? It’s obvious he’s after him.” Minseok nods.

“And it doesn’t help that Baekhyun promised Sehun to pick him for the Love Villa.” Yixing adds. “Is that even allowed?”

Jongdae shrugs. “All is fair in love and war. And this is both.”

“So don’t be surprised Xing when Junmyeon sneaks into Jongin’s heart.” Minseok smiles.

“Objectively, I doubt it.”

“Objectively… of course.”

  • - -

Kyungsoo walks downstairs a few hours later, finding Baekhyun, Sehun and Junmyeon sitting in the living room and chatting enthusiastically. He looks around, but he doesn’t find any signs of Jongin being there. He mentioned he had something to say earlier, but hadn’t gotten the chance to yet.

“Hey,” he approaches the group with a smile. “What are you guys up to?”

“Not much.” Baekhyun smiles, patting the spot next to him. Kyungsoo returns the gesture, walking over and dropping on the couch next to him. “We were thinking about ordering something for dinner.”

“Something greasy and with a lot of calories.” Sehun says.

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Everything okay?”

“Sehun is having a hard time with work today, apparently.” Baekhyun shrugs. He’s running his fingers through Sehun’s hair absentmindedly.

“Wish I could vent, but whatever… let’s order ice cream, too.” Sehun rests his head over Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Sounds good.” Kyungsoo nods. “Where’s Jongin?”

“He had a work situation apparently, so he didn’t come back with me.” Junmyeon is the one to answer, his eyes glued to his phone as he says this. Kyungsoo can’t make much of his expression.

“Was he able to help at all?” Baekhyun tilts his head, smirk curving his lips. “I don’t know if Evanescence has any shopping skills.”

Junmyeon laughs. “He was very helpful. We agreed to do it again sometime soon.”

There it goes again. That knot that settles inside Kyungsoo’s stomach. Burning.

“Oh, so you guys had a good time, then?” Baekhyun says, shooting a glance at Kyungsoo. He knows what he’s doing.

The other doesn’t say much, but he doesn’t have to. The way he covers his grin with a hand and looks away speaks for him.

Kyungsoo sighs. He doesn’t notice the way his forehead is wrinkling until he feels Baekhyun’s hand adding pressure on it.

“Alright then,” Baekhyun stretches, standing up. “I’ll go take a quick shower. Order something and let me know.” He glances at Sehun, who nods. His eyes linger on Baekhyun’s figure for a moment as the other leaves.

Junmyeon appears to be oblivious to it, but Kyungsoo notices.

He smiles. “Want to talk about it?”

Sehun frowns. “About what?”

Kyungsoo laughs. “Baekhyun.”

Sehun blinks, eyes widening at the suggestion. “Am I… that obvious?”

“Not too much.” Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Have you thought about asking him out?”

Sehun scratches the back of his head. Insecurity flashes through his eyes. “I have, but… I don’t think I’m his type, to be honest.”

“You won’t know until you ask.” Kyungsoo says.

“Well, he asked you out and I’m nothing like you… or Chanyeol.” Sehun sighs.

“Chanyeol and I are very different people too… besides, with Baekhyun it was fun, but we fit more as friends. I realized that later.” Kyungsoo pats Sehun’s arm and the other nods.

“You realized after going out with Jongin?” Sehun is not aware of what he’s done until Junmyeon and Kyungsoo’s stares collide.

“Something like that.” Kyungsoo replies. Silence then falls over them for a few minutes.

Junmyeon puts his phone away. “I can help you.”

“Really? How?” Sehun’s eyes light up.

“We’ll work up a plan.” Junmyeon smiles at him and Sehun returns the gesture.

Kyungsoo shakes his head with a smile. “Well, have fun. The most important part of this is to let him see you.”

Sehun nods, linking arms with Kyungsoo and resting the side of his body against his. “Thanks, Hyung.”

The front door opens suddenly, revealing a stomping Jongin as he makes his way inside the house. Frown almost splitting his face in half. He drops his shoes by the entrance and walks into the living room, just to find three expectant faces looking at him. His eyes quickly drop to where Sehun and Kyungsoo’s arms are linked, and he raises an eyebrow.

“Everything okay?” Junmyeon asks.

Jongin nods, acknowledging the question halfway before he grabs Kyungsoo’s free hand and pulls him out of the couch without saying a word. He walks towards the backyard, closing the glass door behind them.

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo tilts his head in confusion. He’s never seen Jongin like this. “Something wrong?”

Jongin stops by the hot tub. Letting out some air. “No, I just…” He frowns, struggling to find the right words.

Kyungsoo waits. There’s uncertainty in Jongin’s face, the type that Kyungsoo can relate to. It’s like they’re almost on the same page. Almost as if they both want to say something, but feel like they don’t have any rights to.

“Had a bad day at work?” Kyungsoo offers with a smile.

Jongin sighs, shoulders sinking. “Maybe.”

“Well, you can vent with me all you want… I’m the only one that knows your secret after all.” There’s a hint of playfulness in Kyungsoo’s voice. Jongin can tell.

“Hmmm.”

Kyungsoo smiles. “You mentioned earlier you had something to tell me.” He chuckles at Jongin’s confused expression. “About work?”

Comprehension graced Jongin’s features, and he nods. “Ah, yes. We’re having a live show this Friday. I… wanted to see if you wanted to come.”

Kyungsoo gasps. “Wait… your band?”

Jongin nods.

“Like a concert?”

Jongin nods again.

“Can I really go?”

Jongin shrugs. “Well, like you said, you already know what I do… and I would like it if you were there.”

The knot in Kyungsoo’s stomach melts away.

“I would love to go. That’s so exciting.” Kyungsoo grins. He can’t even explain how happy he is.

“Good.” Jongin smiles.

“Good.” Kyungsoo nods.

Then silence. Neither of them moves until Kyungsoo realizes Jongin is still holding his hand. He stares at them so attentively that it catches Jongin’s attention, too.

However, he doesn’t let go.

Instead, he clears his throat, his cheeks turning a light red. He looks like he wants to say something again but can’t find the words. Once again, they’re both on the same page. In all honesty, this is new for both, so they don’t have to acknowledge it yet. All they have to do is go with the flow.

“Want to watch a movie later?”

Jongin squeezes his hand gently. “I would like that.”

“Cool.”

They stand there for a few more seconds. Mischief sparkling in Kyungsoo’s eyes then.

“So, are you going to tell me to never hold Sehun’s arm again?” He asks, trying his best to hold back a smirk.

“Huh?” Jongin’s eyes widen, and his voice breaks a bit.

“Wasn’t that what you were going to say earlier?”

“No.”

“You sure?” Kyungsoo giggles. “Are you going to glare at me for real this time?”

Jongin lets go of Kyungsoo’s hand. “Oh, God.”

They walk around the backyard, Jongin trying to avoid the topic and Kyungsoo doing his best to bother him. Between blushes and laughter. They both forget everything that had happened earlier.

Because when they’re together, everything else dissipates.

Except for the two of them.

Together.

 

...

Twitter: VanillaNini1