Chapter Thirty-eight

The Fruit Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter summary: Events from the first spring that Baekhyun lived on the Park estate.  

 

About a week after the icicles on the trees and roof edges had completely melted, everyone was finishing their evening meal when Yixing quietly stood up at the dinner table. He didn’t move or say anything but just stood and waited for everyone to quiet down. It wasn’t often that the soft-spoken Chinese worker demanded attention, so everyone quickly realized this was important and the room became quiet.

All eyes were on him as he smiled a little shyly and then announced, “I am to be married.”

The once quiet room exploded in noise as roars of amazement and cheers immediately went up from everyone around the table. Yixing was soon being jostled good-naturedly as several of the men crowded around him, clapping him on the back and giving hugs of congratulations with big smiles on their faces.  

Baekhyun was seated next to Chanyeol at the head of the table. He watched the whole scene with his own wide smile of surprise and amazement, clapping his hands together in delight through his confusion. 

Chanyeol leaned over to explain above the noise, “The oldest daughter of the farmer where we get our milk each week is Yixing’s girlfriend. They’ve been dating for over four years.”

“That’s wonderful! But...Four years??”

The noise level had lowered just enough for the loud exclamation of the Little Boss to be heard clearly in the large room. Several of the men laughed loudly and teased Yixing about the comment. 

The Chinese man had a slightly indignant look on his face as he burst out “I have asked her more than a year! She only today gave me her Yes!” 

More laughter and cheers rose from the men and Baekhyun couldn’t help his own laughter as he got up from his chair and came to join the enthusiastic crowd around the Chinese man. The workers parted to let him through and he took the opportunity to reach up and give his own congratulatory hug to the now-blushing groom-to-be. 

Baekhyun beamed as he leaned back. “When do you plan to marry?” he asked.

“It will be in one month’s time.” Yixing responded. He looked across the table at his boss. “Mei hopes we could have a small ceremony in the orchard since the trees will be blooming then.” 

Chanyeol nodded and smiled. “Of course! And if there’s anything we can do to help, just let us know.”

The boss’s words were immediately repeated by the others surrounding the happy Chinese man, and more smiles and congratulatory words were given. Baekhyun couldn’t help his happy bounce as he came back around the table to his lover. Chanyeol grinned as he put his arm out to half hug the little one and looked affectionately at him.  

“Whaaat..” Baekhyun asked in a fake annoyed tone, nudging the tall man. 

“You’re cute.” Chanyeol replied, enjoying teasing his lover..

Baekhyun just huffed and deliberately bumped the tall man with his hip, then moved to start gathering the dirty dishes from the dinner table. Chanyeol sat back down and watched him work, as Baekhyun bit back a smile and tried to ignore his boyfriend.

 

The truth was the news of the wedding had Baekhyun’s mind in a whirl. He really wanted to help any way he could, and hearing that Yixing’s bride wanted to be married under the blooming orange trees was giving the little tailor inspiration. He decided to talk with Junmyeon once he finished cleaning up the evening dishes. 



 

Two weeks later, mid-day on a Saturday, Sehun knocked on the door of the small house.

Chanyeol answered it, leaning on the doorframe as he held the door open. “Yes?”

“Junmyeon said to tell Little Boss that he is taking the cloth to the tubs now and it all should be ready to hang up to dry in about half an hour.” Sehun said. 

”Thanks!” Baekhyun chirped with a grin as he unexpectedly popped his head out under his lover’s arm, making both of the taller men jump. He laughed at their surprised expressions then wiggled between them and hurried down the porch steps and across the yard towards the large house. Chanyeol and Sehun watched him go, then looked at each other and burst out laughing.

 

Meanwhile Baekhyun made his way in through the back door of the house to the laundry room, waving his hands as he entered to clear some of the steam that was rising from the large tubs filled with hot water and cleaning solution. 

“Ah! Baekhyun..” Junmyeon greeted him with a smile as he unfolded a bolt of sheer, wispy cloth, allowing it to fall in a pile on the floor before bending over to pick it up. 

“I came to help!” Baekhyun rushed over and grabbed part of the large bundle of cloth the older man was struggling with, and together they wrangled the material into one of the tubs. 

Junmyeon then picked up a long smooth wooden stick and used it to begin to push the cloth further into the hot water. The action made the cleaning solution swirl in the water and penetrated the fibers of the thin cloth. Baekhyun watched as bubbles began forming on the surface of the water, mixing with the steam and creating an almost mystical atmosphere.

After the cloth had been stirred and manipulated through the soapy water for several minutes, the two men began lifting it over bit by bit into the other washing tub filled with slightly cooler clean water. Junmyeon moved the cloth around in the water with another long wooden paddle for a while but then set the paddle aside and began moving the cloth around with his hands. Baekhyun joined in and together they gradually managed to get the cloth all rinsed out and then the water wrung out of it. Then they transferred it to an empty basket and carried the basket to the clothesline outside. Together they lifted the long cloth and spread it out, draping it on the clothesline and attaching clothespins in sections as needed to secure the wet cloth in place.

“That’s going to look great!” Chanyeol said as he and Sehun walked up to the material hanging on the clothesline. 

Baekhyun had a wide smile on his face as he turned to look at his lover. “I hope so! Mei was very trusting of my design idea so I want it to be perfect for her and Yixing! I plan to ride around and look at the trees carefully a couple of days before the wedding so I can figure out which branches should be cut in the morning on the day of the wedding. I’m wanting to use the wire twine to hold them in place and that will support the cloth, too..” 

“That sounds like a good idea.” Chanyeol agreed. “I’ll go with you and we can bring the marking tape to tie on the branches you choose so it won’t be confusing when I go back later to cut them the morning of the wedding.”

Sehun nodded. “I volunteer to help with cutting the branches. Boss and I both know the best technique to not hurt the trees, and I can keep this a secret to help with surprising the bride and groom.”  

Baekhyun clapped his hands in happiness. “Thank you! I’m so happy everyone is helping so nicely!”

As Junmyeon and Sehun smiled, Chanyeol looked at his boyfriend with unhidden affecti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter