Chapter Twenty-two

The Fruit Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

As soon as the door finished closing behind him, the orphan slowed down his steps. Caught in his thoughts, he took his time going to the barn that sat diagonally behind the house.

Actually the two men inside the large house had started Baekhyun doing more than just a little thinking. By this point he was seriously considering confronting his tall handsome boss and getting to the bottom of the hints and innuendos that everyone else seemed to be saying to him recently. The idea of being that bold scared the little orphan, but it was frustrating not knowing if what everyone was implying was actually the truth.

Was it really ok to be attracted to Mr. Park? The man was at least twelve years older than him. That was a lot, but Baekhyun knew love didn’t happen to only people that were close in age so he didn't disagree when Kyungsoo said that age was just a number. But did Mr. Park have that opinion as well? Or would the tall man scoff at the idea? He realized the boss seemed to have a bit of a soft spot for him, but the man was nice and fair to all his employees so that fact actually muddied things up a bit. Was he nice in a different way to Baekhyun? Or was he just trying to help the orphan fit in with the rest of the group faster? 

Baekhyun huffed in frustration, making his bangs fly upwards a little as he lifted his head and stopped just short of the barn. Sunlight glinted off the metal roof, making him squint a little as his eyes focused.

The doors on the barn were the type that split in the middle and slid open sideways on large sturdy metal poles. One of the doors had been pushed completely open and thin openings just under the eaves along the top of the high walls allowed extra light to shine into the barn. Inside the barn Baekhyun could see several dozen crates, most of which were stacked on top of each other and placed in rows. The boss was carefully placing the last of the crates onto the stacks. 

The dust drifted around in the heated air, creating a hazy scene as the tall muscular man bent over to pick up the crates and then reached to place the crates up onto the stacks. He had obviously been working a while and was already sweating a little through his short-sleeved shirt. His broad back was partially turned towards the open door and the muscles in his arms flexed in poetic motion as he moved. 

It was these same muscular arms that had been in Baekhyun’s dreams for the last few nights. The orphan had woken in the middle of the night each time and had a very hard time trying to think of things that were less enticing but still soothing so he could fall back asleep. 

Now, it took a moment for Baekhyun to realize he was staring. He shook himself internally. It wouldn’t do for the tall man to notice the little orphan was standing there watching him.

Baekhyun decided to be brave. He stepped forward into the door opening and called out. “H-Hello!”  he managed in a somewhat loud tone.

The handsome man whipped around, holding the last two crates in his hands. “Baekhyun!” he said with a pleased smile. He gestured with the crates in his hands. “I was just finishing up the count to make sure we have our numbers straight before the carts start rolling in later.”

The orphan nodded. “That’s.. A good idea.” He held the small cloth bag out to the tall man. “Um.. I have something to show you.”

“Oh! OK.. just a second.” The boss spun back around and reached up to place the two crates on the top of the stacks. His arms flexed once again and Baekhyun dropped his arm back down and forced himself to look down at the ground as he desperately tried to think of something other than being surrounded by those strong muscular arms. 

“Baekhyun?”

The orphan looked up quickly. The tall man had stepped closer and had a concerned look on his face as he bent over to look eye to eye with him. Baekhyun flushed at the unexpected proximity and lifted the small bag back up towards the man’s face. “I- Uh.. Made this!” he stammered awkwardly.

The boss stood back up when the small bag was shoved at him, but he quickly took the small cloth bag and turned it over in his hands as he looked at it. “It’s.. very nice, Baekhyun. Good stitching, too.” he complimented.

“No- I mean- Smell it.” The orphan continued to sound awkward.

The boss did as he was instructed and a smile came to his face. “Ohhh! Very nice! I can smell the oranges..” he nodded appreciatively.

Baekhyun smiled back, relieved. “It’s an air-freshener. You can put in parts of your house that might need to smell better. And I think if you put it in the sunlight where it gets warm it will smell stronger.”

The tall man continued to nod in understanding. “So I'm guessing this is why Kyungsoo saved all those orange peelings… This is a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter