Chapter Twelve

The Fruit Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun whipped his head over at the man in the doorway. “What?” he asked with disbelief, his eyes wide.

Sehun walked in and plopped down on the bigger bed with a smirk. “Yep. Looks like the boss has a softer spot for you than we thought.”

“Softer- Wait.. What?” Baekhyun was confused. It was his experience that bosses were always important and somewhat intimidating. He would never dare to describe the tall, important man in charge of the orange grove workers as soft. The orphan blinked, not knowing what to think.

Junmyeon tutted scoldingly at the man on the bed. “Sehun’s just being a brat again. Don’t pay any attention to him.”  He smoothed down the corner of the blanket. “You should be plenty warm tonight.”  

He recognized that Junmyeon was being his usual motherly self, but Baekhyun wasn’t willing to follow the change of subject. “So this was made by the boss’s mother? Sehun, why did you bring it to me? I don’t want any trouble.” he said, beginning to feel panicked.

Sehun chuckled. “The boss is the one in trouble, my friend.” 

Junmyeon threw a look and a shushing sound at the man on the bed. But the orphan wouldn’t let it go. “What do you mean?” Baekhyun asked.

Sehun grinned. “I wasn’t the one that brought that blanket to you.” he said knowingly.

Baekhyun didn’t want to assume anything but decided he wasn’t brave enough to demand the final piece of information. He snapped his mouth shut and turned back to the bed with a small huff. “Well.. whoever it was.. At least I’ll be warm..”

Junmyeon was surprised at seeing a little emotion out of the little orphan, but he hid his astonishment with his motherly tone as he walked over to the bigger bed. “Yes. Sehun and I will leave you alone and let you go on to bed now.” He reached out and forcefully pulled Sehun’s arm, making him stand up from the bed despite his protests, then walked out the room, pushing the taller man in front of him. 

The orphan shook his head with a grin as their bickering in hushed tones drifted away down the hallway. At that moment the wind outside shifted once again, making the raindrops strike sharply against the second floor window panes. Baekhyun shivered slightly, feeling the cool of the room. Perhaps it was best to go on to bed. For now he had the blanket to keep him warm and he could worry more about where it came from tomorrow. 

Baekhyun took the clothes Junmyeon had brought him and placed them in a neat pile under the bed next to his raggedy bag. Seeing the dirty, worn material made him stop for a second in thought, but then the wind blew rain against the window again. Baekhyun shivered in response and quickly climbed into bed. He pulled up the covers, and turned away from the light of the lamp. As he snuggled under the blanket, he watched the raindrops hitting the window for a little before closing his eyes and letting the repetitive sounds of nature lull him to sleep.



 

The next morning began much like the previous day, with the deliberate banging waking the occupants of the rooms upstairs. As expected, Junmyeon was already out of the room, but Baekhyun slipped quickly out of bed and headed to the bathroom without waiting for Sehun. The orphan needed to relieve his bladder, but he also had decided that he didn’t want any teasing about the blanket that had kept him warm and helped him sleep so cozy the night before. By the time he was finished and was drying his face from having washed it, Sehun was just coming into the bathroom. Baekhyun smiled at the taller man but easily slipped past him to go down the hallway and downstairs. 

In the kitchen area, Yixing was already making pancakes and Kyungsoo was frying up strips of bacon. There was a third man that had started to get stacks of plates and utensils set up on the side of the counter. Baekhyun thought he might offer to help, but the man seemed to be glaring at him and the orphan didn’t want to make him any more angry than he already seemed. Instead, Baekhyun went over to the sofa area and watched the three men. As he listened, he became aware the man helping in the kitchen was apparently named Tao. As stacks of pancakes and piles of cooked meat began appearing in plates on the counter, Yixing spoke to Tao in a different language and the angry looking man responded with a smile then brought sticks of butter and two glass jars of thick brown syrup over to the long table. Baekhyun realized the angry look was just the way the man’s face looked when he wasn’t talking or smiling.

Soon the area started to become noisy and more c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter