Chapter Twenty-four

The Fruit Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

Baekhyun carried his cup, plate, and fork to the sink where Kyungsoo and Junmyeon were already working on washing the rest of dishes used that morning. Before the orphan could offer to help, the boss walked back in from the front porch and came over to the kitchen area. 

“Baekhyun. Go put your shoes on then come to the small house, please.” the tall man said as he set his empty coffee cup down next to the sink. 

The orphan wordlessly nodded his agreement and ran down the hallway and up the stairs. The boss started to walk back towards the front door, but paused and turned partially to look at the two men still working at the sink. “I know what you’re thinking, but I’d appreciate it if you don’t make too much of this..”

Junmyeon turned to his cousin with a knowing look on his face, while Kyungsoo made an exaggerated show of zipping his mouth shut. The tall man rolled his eyes with a chuckle then headed out the door.

The two men at the sink turned back to their work but the chef didn’t keep his mouth shut for long.

“This is a big deal…”

Junmyeon hummed in agreement then sighed. “I just… hope he lets himself finally be happy.“ he said slowly.

Kyungsoo nodded and hummed back in thought. “Hmm.. It HAS been a long time.” he said matter-of-factly.

“Long time since what?” Baekhyun asked.

Both men at the sink whirled around in surprise as the orphan came back over to the kitchen area. 

"Uh-" Junmyeon looked down to confirm Baekhyun had actually put his shoes on, then commented. “You’re getting a lot more used to those! I didn’t even hear you come down the stairs!”

The orphan shrugged with a smile. “I guess I’m quieter when I don’t trip..”

Kyungsoo and Junmyeon both chuckled and grinned but Baekhyun felt awkward. He should have known better than to try to join in a conversation halfway through. They were nice people but it was obvious neither of the men wanted to tell him what they had been talking about. If the past had taught Baekhyun anything, it was that there were consequences of listening to conversations where he wasn't wanted. He was getting too careless. 

The orphan pursed his lips briefly. The thoughts going through his mind weren't pleasant but he didn't want to be in a bad mood going to see the boss. He pasted on a smile as he headed towards the front door. "Well, I'll go see what Mr. Park wants, I guess…"

Junmyeon lifted his hand as though reaching out for him. "Baekhyun-"

"Bye!" The little one waved in what he hoped was a cheerful manner and scooted out the front door.

Junmyeon sighed and lowered his hand. Kyungsoo turned with a towel, drying the plate he was holding. "At least he called him Mr. Park this time…" the chef commented.

"Yeah.” Junmyeon turned back to the sink and began washing another dirty cup. “He's still so scared, tho.." 

Kyungsoo hummed his agreement.


 

Meanwhile Baekhyun had made it over to the small house. He took a deep breath to clear his mind, then climbed the stairs to the front porch. He knocked lightly on the front door, which the boss quickly opened and ushered the little one inside. As he walked in, Baekhyun looked around the room in amazement. He was used to seeing the walls in the large house, which were functional wooden slats pushed together and sealed with plaster to create the solid surface. But the walls in this room had painted wood on the lower half, while the upper half were covered in paper with beautiful designs painted on them. The orphan was enthralled and couldn’t help putting his hand up to touch the papered surface.

The tall man chuckled. “I’m guessing you’ve never seen wallpaper before.” he said kindly. 

Baekhyun shook his head. “It’s beautiful..” he said in quiet amazement.

“There’s more throughout the house. My mother chose the designs. She actually made the decisions on most of the inside of this house.” the boss explained, looking around at the walls with a wistful gaze. 

The orphan cocked his head. “You miss her…” he commented quietly.

Mr. Park nodded. “It’s b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter