Chapter Thirty-two

The Fruit Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

Baekhyun realized just how tired he was from the long day when he caught his head slipping off his own hand where he had propped it as he sat at the end of the long table. He was watching several of the men playing a card game but his eyes occasionally flicked up to the tall boss standing at the fireplace. Almost every time he looked up, within seconds Chanyeol would meet his eyes and hold his gaze for a second before returning to the game. It was a thrilling feeling seeing the almond-shaped eyes darken almost every time. 

But after Baekhyun felt his eyes drooping, he knew the tall man would understand that he needed to go on to bed. 

After one last shared glance and a covert smile, Baekhyun got up out of his chair. Just as he made it to the hallway, Sehun rushed over, holding a lit lamp, and walked by his side. “Hey Baekhyun! Did Meyonnie tell you how much money we made for you today?” 

Baekhyun blinked at his roommate then smiled. “No but it’s ok.” he said, starting up the steps. “I’m sure it’s not much but I don’t have any use for the money so he can just give it to Mr. Park to help with bills a little.” 

Sehun stopped halfway up the stairs. “Not much?! Are you kidding? After the first old lady figured out what they were, the word went around the market pretty quick. People were paying us more than what we were asking and we sold those ten within the first two hours. You have orders for eight more already!” 

The orphan stopped at the top of the steps and turned to his roommate. “Really? Wow.. I hadn’t expected that.”

“It really is a great idea, Baekhyun.” Sehun said proudly, coming up the stairs the rest of the way. They walked down the hallway to their room and Sehun set the lamp down on the side table. Right on cue the orphan yawned widely and Sehun chuckled. “It’s been a long day for both of us. I bet you’ll be asleep before I get back from the bathroom.”

Baekhyun nodded. “You’re probably right.” He turned and lifted the blanket to get into bed but then turned back quickly to Sehun. “Oh- If you talk to Junmyeon before sleeping, please tell him to wake me in the morning. I want time to have breakfast before going out to inspect the grove with Ch- um Mr. Park.” He turned back to the bed, acting as though he hadn’t almost slipped up and called the boss by his first name. 

Sehun grinned widely as he reached for the door but wisely didn’t mention the slip up. “Got it.” He waited for the little one to climb into bed then closed the door as he left the room.


 

The hand on his shoulder was gentle but persistent, and Baekhyun rolled over quickly, blinking through the sleep still in his eyes. When they finally focused, the kind face of Junmyeon was smiling down at him with the morning sunlight lighting up the room. 

Baekhyun smiled back with as much reassurance as he could manage in his half-awake state and pulled the covers back. Junmyeon put his finger up to his own mouth in a shushing motion then gestured to the other bed where Sehun was still sprawled across the mattress, his upper torso peeking out of the covers and his mouth half-open in a soft snore.

By now the orphan was out of the smaller bed and had slipped into his shoes. He leaned down and got the hat from the previous weekend out from under the bed then nodded at the older man and followed him out into the hallway. It was only after the door was closed carefully behind them that Junmyeon began to speak quietly. 

“He deserves to sleep in with how hard he’s been working lately.” The affection was obvious in the older man’s voice and Baekhyun didn’t call him out on it. After all, the man would know his lover better than anyone, so if he said Sehun should get more rest then Baekhyun would believe him. 

Nodding once more, Baekhyun gestured with a small smile as he began walking towards the bathroom. “I’ll be down in a minute.” Junmyeon smiled back and turned towards the stairs. 

The little one didn’t take long in the bathroom, but he did splash water on his face and looked in the mirror as he ran his wet fingers through his unruly hair. The thought came to him that maybe he should ask Junmyeon to buy him a comb next time the older man went to the market. Junmyeon made a special trip last weekend, but now he would go every Saturday with the crates of oranges, so maybe Baekhyun would have to ask someone else. Maybe Chanyeol would know better what to do. The orphan noticed the reflection of his own wide smile at the thought of the handsome man and shook his head at himself. He was whipped for sure. Cramming the hat on his head, he raced out of the bathroom and then down the stairs to the kitchen for some breakfast.

Only a few of the other men were out of bed in the large house, and even fewer were in the large front room already. One of the men started making coffee and stood sleepily at the counter waiting for it to finish brewing. No one bothered Junmyeon and Baekhyun as they sat at the table and ate bowls of strawberries and blueberries with their toast. The two roommates talked about the sales of the air fresheners the orphan had sent to the market the day before and Baekhyun told the older man about Kyungsoo’s suggestion of using lemon rinds along with the orange skins. Junmyeon agreed it was a good idea and promised to look into getting some lemons. 

Halfway through their conversation, the boss came in through the front door. The tall man smiled at the two at the table, but went directly to the kitchen area and poured himself a cup full of the hot dark brew on the stove. Then he walked over to the table, bringing the coffee with him, and sat down across from the two already sitting at the table. Chanyeol reached across the table and snatched a piece of toast from Junmyeon’s plate and the older man stopped mid-sentence to look indignantly at the boss, who just stared back with a funny grin on his face. Baekhyun giggled at the two cousins, but Junmyeon turned and snatched a cut strawberry off the orphan’s plate in retaliation and popped it in his mouth. Baekhyun’s giggles stopped abruptly and his mouth o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter