Chapter Four

The Fruit Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

By the time Baekhyun had finished his personal business and snuck back around the side of the shack, the sun had almost fully set, leaving the grove barely lit in the dim in-between twilight before nighttime fully took over. There was no evidence of any workers in the area, and the orphan decided to get a head start on his work before heading to the water trough. 

 

Resolutely going over to the line of orange trees next to the one he had finished with the night before, Baekhyun started with the first tree and began picking through the small amount of oranges that had fallen on the ground. When he finished placing the good fruit around the base of the tree, he went to the next tree and sorted through the few oranges on the ground there. 

 

As the night continued to close in and the moon rose over the grove, Baekhyun systematically worked through the line of trees, just like he had done the night before. When he got to the next to last tree in the line, he reached into his bag and pulled out the large orange he had found on the table in the shack. He placed the large fruit down at the base of the tree next to the other good fruit and, without looking back, moved to the next tree. 

 

When he finished working under the last tree in that line, just like the night before, he began working under the tree in the next line, heading in the direction he had just come from, systematically going through the fruit on the ground and placing the good oranges in small neat piles at the base of each tree. The work went quickly, partially because Baekhyun was more used to what he was doing, but mostly because he wasn’t feeling pain as long as he was careful to not place his full weight on his healing foot and ankle. He got through the line of trees easily and continued working through the next two rows without stopping.

 

Once he finished the fourth line of trees, he walked back over to the shack so as to not get confused about the direction. He went through the damaged oranges that he had cradled in his shirt and placed four of the lesser damaged ones down on the ground in front of the shack. He tossed the few others that were left into the woods at the side of the shack, and then headed in the direction of the water trough.

 

Arriving at the water trough in the clearing a few minutes later, Baekhyun did as he had the night before, drinking some of the water as he pumped it into the trough. He then sat on the concrete edge and unwrapped both his feet, soaking them in the cool soothing liquid. As he sat, he took his metal cup out of his bag and dipped water out of the trough to thoroughly moisten the dirty strips of material he had just taken off his tired feet. He made sure to wring the water back out of the strips, letting the excess drip onto the ground, then rolled the cloth pieces up and put them into his bag. In their place, he took out the strips he had cleaned and dried the day before, and carefully wrapped up his feet as he pulled them each from the cool water. As soon as he was done, he pumped the faucet once to bring a little more water out, filling his metal cup as the clear liquid trickled into the trough. 

 

Baekhyun drank about half of the cup-full then began walking back to the shack, being careful to not drop any of the water out of the cup as he travelled. Once he arrived back at the shack, he retrieved the four damaged oranges he had left for himself, then made his way into the shack, carefully closing the door behind himself. He placed the oranges and the half-filled metal cup on the raised platform, then pulled out the damp pieces of material from his bag. As he hung the strips on the back of the chair to dry as before, the strain of the night’s work seemed to suddenly catch up with him and he felt very tired.  Once again he had worked through the night and the sky outside would soon show the beginning hints of dawn. 

 

The orphan sat on the raised platform and looked out the window at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter