Chapter Twenty-seven

The Fruit Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Happy 614 everyone! My CB heart smiles just thinking about our favorite pair, and it's fitting that this chapter is being posted on on the day that suits them most. 💗🥰

 


 

The rest of the evening, Baekhyun tried to avoid actual conversations. At dinner he only smiled as he ate and commented when spoken to, but after eating he quickly brought his dirty dishes to the kitchen area then ran to go upstairs without offering to help with the clean up. Just before leaving the area he deliberately let his eyes briefly meet the heavy gaze of the almond-shaped ones and then smiled shyly at the boss who was still sitting at the table. But the interaction was quick and the orphan was soon rushing out of the room. 

He tried to not think about the rustle of curious conversation that began as soon as he reached the staircase. After all, Chanyeol had promised to speak to the men if things became too intense for him. 

Baekhyun stopped as he came to the door of his room and stared into the semi-darkness.

 

Chanyeol. 

He had unintentionally used the handsome man’s first name in his thoughts. 

 

This was new. And exciting. And scary. 

 

In his mind the man had moved from boss to love interest so quickly. But that was ok, wasn’t it? The tall man had specifically said he liked Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun. The pitiful, inexperienced orphan, who had never had an actual love interest in his entire difficult existence. 

Did he deserve to have such a strong, virile, capable man as his lover? 

The orphan put his hands up to his mouth in shock but couldn’t help a giggle. Lover??

Baekhyun ran into his room and threw himself on his bed. He rolled around on the blanket, bunching it up underneath himself as he curled inward, trying to cover the huge smile that threatened to break his jaw. He hadn’t smiled that big since- well- he couldn’t remember ever smiling that big. He rolled and giggled again, this time louder and bordering on actual laughter.

The sound of conversations coming up the stairs alerted him to his situation and Baekhyun schooled his face into a smaller smile and sat up quickly on his bed as he smoothed out the blanket. Some of the workers walked by the open doorway holding a lit lantern and this reminded Baekhyun of how dark it was getting in the unlit room. He quickly got up and jogged out the door.

“Hey!” he called after the small group. The men all paused and turned with smiles. “Can I borrow the lamp for a second to light the one in my room?” he asked. The task was easily completed and Baekhyun smiled his thanks with a small bow, then went back into his room and placed his now-lit lamp on the side table. But after thinking for a moment, he picked the lamp back up and placed it on the floor. Although this made strange shadows on the ceiling, it helped illuminate the floor very well, so Baekhyun was satisfied.

He then went over and pulled the sewing kit and the wrapped bundle of material out from under his bed. He opened the paper wrapping and spread it as carefully as possible, then unfolded the material out on top of it, protecting the material from the dirty floor. Then he got the large scissors out from the sewing kit tin, and began cutting. Being careful to avoid cutting the paper and still cut straight lines, he eventually managed to have enough rectangular pieces cut for twenty cloth bags. 

By now the noise in the house had risen and Baekhyun recognized the sound of a good-natured card game as well as some singing going on. He smiled to himself as he carefully collected all the material pieces in a stack and wrapped up the little bit of material that was left along with the ribbons. Just as he was opening the sewing kit tin back up, Sehun came to the doorway. 

“I wondered why the light looked different in here… Can you see ok in the light that way?” he asked.

The orphan nodded and smiled. “Yeah. I laid everything out and just had to make sure to not cut the paper while I was cutting the material on the floor.”

“Ohhh I get it. So you don’t get the material dirty that way… smart!” Sehun said with an impressed tone. But then his tone turned teasing. “You know, the boss told me you were smart from the first day we saw you.”

Baekhyun flushed a little with the compliment but didn’t say anything. He placed the scissors into the sewing kit and closed the tin as the taller man continued his teasing. “He usually talks at dinner, but the boss didn’t say much tonight. He just did a lot of smiling for no reason. I don’t suppose you have any idea why that is…?”  

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter