Chapter Fifteen

The Fruit Mouse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

The air outside was turning a little chilly with the sun going down, but it was nerves that made Baekhyun stifle a shiver as he carefully pushed the door closed behind him. 

“I’m sorry to bring you out into the cold. We’ll go back inside soon.” The boss’s deep voice was soft but still cut through the air. The orphan startled and stood still but bobbed his head politely, his face looking down at the floor in respect.

“Baekhyun.. Please come over here and sit down.” The boss’s tone had the slightest hint of fondness that puzzled the orphan but gave him hope. Maybe he would be able to ask for a second chance to help more in the chores around the house and be allowed to stay. He could learn as long as they gave him a chance. Baekhyun lifted his head enough to see the bench seat the boss was indicating. He squared his jaw and quickly went over and sat down, then dared to look up at the tall man. 

A handsome, somewhat amused smile greeted him, making Baekhyun blush for reasons he didn’t quite understand. Before he could get upset with himself, he realized the boss had knelt down in front of him. A loud squeal came from inside the house, startling the orphan for a second. For some reason the boss scoffed and rolled his eyes, but then smiled again at the startled little one sitting on the bench. 

“Junmyeon is going to the market tomorrow like he does every Sunday.” the older man said conversationally. 

Baekhyun cocked his head a little in interest but kept quiet. 

“Sehun usually likes to sleep in but I’ve asked him to go along to help with a specific purchase.” 

The boss was holding a thin wooden contraption with hinges on the ends, and he began to unfold it as he spoke. Baekhyun looked at it curiously and saw markings on the flat sides, noting measurements. He squeaked in surprise as the boss’s hand circled around one of the orphan’s thin ankles and lifted it slightly to slide the wooden measuring stick underneath it. With his large hand still gently but securely around Baekhyun’s ankle, the boss pressed the orphan’s foot down on the measuring stick and squinted to look at the numbers. Just as Baekhyun leaned over to get a closer view and see what the boss was doing, the handsome man lifted his head back up. 

Another squeal came from inside the house, but neither of the two on the porch seemed to notice. 

Baekhyun’s blush was back as he noted how close their faces were, and the boss faltered briefly. “Um.. yes. Well.” The older man pulled back and stood up. “We’re getting you some shoes.” he announced somewhat abruptly.

Baekhyun blinked in surprise. “Oh..” He recovered quickly. “I- I don’t have money, but I’ll do extra chores to help pay for them.” he said with a determined look on his face, craning his neck to look up at the tall man. 

The boss furrowed his eyebrows as he looked down at the orphan sittig on the bench. “You already do plenty, Baekhyun.. And everyone deserves to have shoes.” He gave a sharp nod as though agreeing with himself, and then paused, obviously remembering something more. “Oh. And what’s your favorite color?”

Baekhyun wanted to protest about the issue of chores, but was caught off guard. “My- ..what?” he asked. 

“Your favorite color. If you had to choose one.. Or two..” the boss said, suddenly a little awkward. He looked down and began folding the wooden tool back up.

The orphan distractedly watched the long thick fingers folding the measuring stick. “Um.. I.. Red.” he said quietly.

“Hmm?” the boss looked up.

Baekhyun swallowed a gulp. “and.. purples are pretty.” His voice wavered but he bravely looked the boss in the eye. “I like reds and purples.”

The man held his gaze for a minute then smiled softly. “Reds and purples. Good.” His smile grew a little and he gestured to the door. “Let’s go back inside. It’s getting colder out here and dinner should be ready by now.”

Baekhyun stood up on shaky legs. He hadn’t been asked to leave the house. And the boss didn’t seem to be mad at him for anything. So he really wasn’t in trouble. Sehun hadn’t lied.

As the tall man opened the door, a general scuffling of feet and some snickering could be heard, but the area was completely clear by the time Baekhyun made it to the door. He bobbed his head politely in thanks to the boss holding the door open for him and quickly went inside, ignoring the eyes on him and heading directly to the side of the table he had become accustomed to. Bowls of steaming food were already being dished out by Kyungsoo, and Jongin was maki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter