Winter

Devotion

Ning Yizhuo was pacing back and forth in front of her friends, she was biting her finger nail as a frown appeared on her face while her other free hand holding her phone and she's staring on the screen. 

"Okay, you're making us dizzy here. What's happening?" Ryujin asked.

"Yeah, please tell us." Yuna said, she is one of the freshman and Ryujin's younger sister.

It's early in the morning and they all decided to chill out together before first class right outside the university, at the front garden near the entrance where they can see students arrival. 

"Hey guys." 

Ryujin and Yuna turned their head and greeted Aeri, Yeji and Lia who came to them. 

"Before you ask, no we don't know what's going on with her." Ryujin told them as they all looked at Ningning. 

"Ning? Ning Yizhuo? May I know what's happening?" Aeri asked. 

"Have you guys watch the news?" Ning asked them. 

"What news?" Lia asked

"Oh I know! Is it the hot news about someone named Kim Minjeong?" Yuna said this time. 

"What? What about it?" Aeri asked in concerned. 

"She did it, Aeri! She and the company is now doing amazing! Here here!" Ning squealed and showed the article in her phone to Aeri. 

"Oh my god!" the other girls get closer to read with Aeri. 

"This is great, Ning ah!" Aeri smiled, happy for both Minjeong and Ningning. 

"Right!" 

"You know her?" Ryujin asked. 

"She's Ning's childhood best friend who had been away for 4 years." Aeri answered for Ning. 

"Really? Is she the Winter girl that students kept talking about?" Lia asked. 

"Yes." Ning grinned. Proud of her best friend. 

"And guess what?" 

"What?" 

Now everyone's looking at Ning Yizhuo again. 

"She is back. She said she's here in Seoul." Ning said. 

"Aw! Told you! She'll come back!" Aeri hugged Ningning right away and Ningning just giggled while the others just smiled at the scene in front of them. 

"What else did she say?" Aeri asked and now Ningning pouted. 

"She haven't reply me yet." 

Just then, Ning's eyes caught the new car coming into the university's parking lot. 

"Hey I never see that car here before. Do we have a new student?" Yeji asked. 

"Woahhh she's so pretty." Ryujin jaw dropped seeing the driver coming out of the car. Her blonde hair stands out. 

Ningning froze as her eyes got teary at the sight of the familiar figure, she pulled away from Aeri before walking slowly towards the entrance to approach her. 

Aeri and the others were confused but Aeri picked up Ning's bag and followed her from behind with the rest. 

She stops right in the middle of the staircase, waiting for the blonde to reach her. The blonde stops for a while when she finally saw Ningning. Eyes looking up at Ningning. 

Ningning has already started crying silently, letting her tears dropping from her eyes. The blonde takes careful steps while walking towards her. 

When the blonde finally stands beside her, at the same level with Ningning, only then Ningning turned her body to face her properly. The blonde's face softened as she stares at Ningning's crying face. 

"Please don't cry. I'm here now." 

As soon as the blonde said that, Ningning burst out crying and throw herself into the blonde's arms. 

"Minjeong ah." Ning cried. 

Minjeong smiled and hugged Ningning tightly, closing her eyes as she finally can feel the warmth from her best friend. Life has been so harsh and cold to her during the past few years without her best friend. 

"I missed you, Ning Yizhuo." Minjeong whispered and it only makes Ningning to cry even more. 

Aeri's tears rolled down on her cheek unconsciously seeing the two best friends reunited. She may not know Minjeong yet but she can feel the special bond she has with Ningning. 

 

 

... 

 

 

"I can't believe that we'll be in the same class for most of our subjects!" Ning exclaimed. Minjeong just chuckled at her best friend. Ningning just accompanied her to the registration office to get her schedule and she immediately checked Minjeong's schedule. 

"And I can't believe that you're here now, in flesh!" Ningning said and hold her shoulders. 

"I'm so happy to have you back, Minjeong." 

"Likewise." Minjeong pats her. 

"But something is different." Ningning frowned. 

"Hm?" 

"Is it true? The reason why they called you winter? Because of how cold you are?" 

"Ah." 

Minjeong tilted her head before nodding slowly. 

"What happened?" 

"Just... The world wasn't being kind to me. That it makes me losing myself I guess." Minjeong shrugged. 

"I wish I could be there for you." Ningning frowned. 

"Hey it's alright. You're here now, I'm here now. I'm happy to finally be here with you." Minjeong smiled but Ning noticed how her smile never reach her eyes. 

'She must have gone through such a difficult time of her life to make her become like this. My Minjeong used to be so cheerful' Ning Yizhuo thought. 

 

 

...

 

 

"You never told me that she's gorgeous!"

Jimin looked up from her book to see her best friend who just entered their first class.

"Where were you? I waited for you for like 15 minutes." Jimin said.

"I said, you never told me that your great admirer is that gorgeous!" Aeri exclaimed and took her seat that's next to Jimin.

"Huh?"

"Kim Minjeong! She's here!"

Jimin raised her eyebrows, she watched the news yesterday. She was shocked, of course. However, she's happy and proud of Minjeong.

"She made a commotion with her first appearance. Everyone has been talking about her. Winter this, Winter that."

"Winter..."

"Yeah. She's known for her nickname, rumours said she was one cold woman."

Jimin frowned hearing that, for all she knows, Winter or the Minjeong that she knows are a warm person. What has changed?

"Oh she's a Sophomore student here, heard she had been studying online for her freshman year while building up the company at the same time. Damn, she's so admirable." Aeri praised.

"What are you going to do now, Jimin?" Aeri asked.

"What? What am I supposed to do?"

"I heard our football captain is planning to court you but now that you great admirer is back. Who will you choose?"

"You're thinking way ahead of this, Aeri. First, it was just a rumour and second, who knows that maybe Minjeong doesn't like me anymore."

"Oh. We'll see." Aeri shrugged.

Jimin then shakes her head before reading her book again but she can't focus on it anymore as now her head is filled with the thought of meeting Minjeong again.

'Winter huh?'