Chapter #3 - A Gentle Side

My Heart Beats for You

Your POV

It was a beautiful sunny day, I had a good sleep and a big breakfast, and the whole day was ruined because today we had… PE class.

“I hate PE.” I complained to Chanhee.

“Does it look like I like it? I also hate PE.” Chanhee complained. “But we are having PE at the same time as Sunwoo today, so we get to see what his class is like.”

“~~~~!” Daeun came and grabbed my arm. “You know she doesn’t like PE, but she’s one of the best in our class.” Daeun said to Chanhee.

“No way.” Chanhee said in disbelief. 

“Oi.” I glared at Chanhee.

 

We all went down to the oval after changing into our PE clothes. When we went to the oval we saw Sunwoo’s class. Our class lined up, but Sunwoo’s class was a mess.

“Everyone line up!” One of the girl’s yelled. Everyone started mumbling but eventually lined up nicely.

Soccer was the sport chosen for today’s PE’s class. And after some warm up and stretching, it was time for the boys to play. It was my class against Sunwoo’s class.

“YOU GOTTA WIN!” I yelled at Chanhee.

But he glared at me. “If the other guys play soccer anything like me, we are not winning.” He said. “Sunwoo’s speciality is soccer.”

“Sunwoo is good at soccer?” I asked. “Why do I find it so hard to imagine that?”

“So rude.” Sunwoo came from behind and bonked me on the head.

Then he leaned in close and smirked. “Keep your eyes on me and see.” Leaving me speechless.

They ran onto the field and the match started. Just as Chanhee had said, Sunwoo had amazing soccer skills. He was pulling off tricks I hadn’t seen anyone in my class do before. I stared in awe. Then next to me, were all of Sunwoo’s female classmates, and mine actually, whispering amongst themselves. 

“Oh my god, Sunwoo is SO COOL. HE’S SO HANDSOME, HE’S SPORTY. WHAT MORE CAN WE GET?!” They all said. “I love him!!!! He’s so amazing!” They screamed.

I had to agree with them this time though, I was pretty amazed at how good he was.

They finished the game, ending with Sunwoo’s team’s victory. All the girls screamed and yelled Sunwoo’s name. When he came off the field and walked towards us, they all screeched because they thought he was coming to sit with them. But he came right up to me, and looked me in the eye. 

“Are you snatched now?” He asked and gave me a smirk.

I scoffed. “Don’t get ahead of yourself. It takes more than just soccer skills to impress me.”


It was time for the girls to play soccer. When I was going onto the field, girls from Sunwoo’s class surrounded me.

“What’s your relationship with Sunwoo?” They asked.

“There is no relationship. He’s my friend.” I answered bluntly.

They closed in on me, until someone called them and said “Get on the field.” 

The girls looked pissed off but left.

“~~~~!” Daeun called. “LET’S GO, WE ARE STARTING!”


It was time to play soccer.

Now I hated PE, but I hated losing more. It was time to win. I grabbed the ball and dribbled it through the sea of girls and easily scored a first goal.

Your POV end


Narrator’s POV

“Heol. And she went on about how she hated PE class. But she’s actually good. Daeun wasn’t lying...” Chanhee mumbled.

“She’s amazing…” Sunwoo said, almost whispering under his breath.
The girls on the opposing team were not happy. They panted in frustration as you scored another goal. They exchanged glances and nodded.

Your teammate passed you the ball and you dribbled it through again.But this time the other girls all surrounded you, making it hard to move, and they began to push you. One of the girls literally swooped their leg beneath yours, it was almost like a kick, which caused you to trip over their leg and fall. You gripped your ankle in pain and hissed. 

“Oops.” They stood over you. “Sorry. My foot slipped.” And laughed before walking away.

Narrator's POV end


Sunwoo’s POV

Chanhee and I were chatting until we heard a big commotion on the field. We stood up to see what was happening. Everyone was gathered in a circle.

“Let’s go.” Chanhee said.

We stood up and sprinted to the crowd. We broke through the circle to see what had happened.

“~~~~ twisted her ankle.” Daeun explained. “Let’s take her to the nurses office.”

I immediately bent down to pick up ~~~~. I princess carried her out of the field. Daeun got up to follow us.

“It’s okay Dauen, don’t miss out on the game. I’ll go with them.” Chanhee said and followed me.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“I’m fine, it just hurts. Those damn girls.” ~~~~ groaned.

“What?” I asked.

“They cornered me before the game. They probably don’t like me, so that’s why they tripped me.” ~~~~ sighed. “Whatever, we pretty much won the game, so that’s all that matters.” 

“Are you fried in the brain? You got hurt and all you can think about is winning the game.” Chanhee rolled his eyes.

Sunwoo’s POV end

 


Your POV

After going to the nurses office, they took care of my ankle and I went back to class with Chanhee. It was just a small sprain, nothing to be worried about. It was a bit sore and that was pretty much it.

During lunch, Daeun came up to my table.

“Let’s go have lunch ~~~~.” She smiled.

“Actually, we are going to eat lunch here, because her ankle hurts.” Chanhee pulled a chair next to my desk.

“Oh. I see. Shall I go buy you lunch?” Daeun asked.

“It’s okay! Chanhee already asked Sunwoo to go buy lunch. Thank you though, my lovely.” I answered.

“That’s good! As long as you’re okay! I’ll go get lunch now then.” She smiled and left.


Sunwoo walked in after buying lunch for us and he crouched down next to me. When I looked at him he was at my eye level.

“How are you feeling?” He asked softly.

“I’m… okay…” I replied just as softly. His gaze was so gentle, and the Sunwoo I had known up until now was definitely not gentle.

“Does it hurt? Do you need anything?” He asked.

“I’m… okay….” I simply answered.

“I’m hungry.” Chanhee broke the moment and pushed Sunwoo away. “Let’s eat.”

“How about we eat outside?” Sunwoo asked. “It’s depressing having lunch in the classroom.”

“That sounds good. Let’s go.” I said and stood up.

“Are you alright to walk?” Chanhee asked.

“It’s fine. I will just use you guys as support.” I said.

Sunwoo put out his arm. “Here, use me.” 

I linked my arm with his and he helped me outside. We sat in the courtyard behind the school where it was nice and quiet, and Chanhee took out the food from the bag.

“I want drinks, I’m going to get some.” Chanhee got up and left.

“Here, let me help you.” Sunwoo grabbed my lunch and unwrapped it for me, then handed it back.

“Thank you.” I said. 

“You are really good at soccer by the way.” Sunwoo commented.

“Oh-- not really I’m just competitive. But you are too. You were freaking amazing, I’m sorry I doubted your skills.” I said.

“Ah, I used to play when I was younger.” Sunwoo said. Then he placed his hand softly on my leg. “We should go play when your leg is better.” And he gave me a warm, gentle smile.

I looked him in the eyes, and a rush of warmth filled my body. The Sunwoo I was familiar with was someone who was cheeky, mischievous and always looking to banter. The gentle side of Sunwoo definitely had me shook, and it tugged my heart strings just a little, but I didn’t want to say it outloud.

Your POV end

 

Daeun’s POV

I got my lunch and came back to the classroom so I could eat with ~~~~. But when I got there, the 3 of them were gone.

“What…” I growled. “She said she was eating here….” I slammed the classroom door in annoyance and left.

Daeun’s POV end