Chapter #8 - New Friends

My Heart Beats for You

Sunyoung’s POV

It was lunch time, and I pulled out the food I had in my bag. I usually ate lunch in the classroom by myself everyday. I couldn’t be bothered dealing with everyone.

“Sunyoung.” 

I turned and saw Sunwoo.

“Let’s go.” He said.

“What?” I asked.

“~~~~ and Hyung are waiting in the cafeteria.” He answered. “Come on.”

I just stared at him. “Is it really okay if I eat lunch with you guys?” I asked.

“What are you talking about?” He raised his eyebrow. “Hurry! I’m hungry!” He whined.

I quickly stood up, shocked from his cry and we went to the cafeteria.


“Sunyoung! Sunwoo!” ~~~~ called and waved. 

“Yo.” Sunwoo greeted and we both sat down across from Chanhee and ~~~~.

I sat in silence, not knowing what to say. But I liked their atmosphere and their talking. I was glad I got to sit with them. This was the first time I had been invited to have lunch with anyone.

I smiled to myself silently as they bantered.


Later that day:

I got home, and walked past the kitchen. My mum was inside cooking and peaked out “How was school?” She asked.

I looked at her and said “It was good.” 

She exchanged a confused glance.

“What?” I asked.

“No… you have never told me school was good before, so I’m surprised.” She said. “You seem to be happier these days. Did something happen?”

I looked at her blankly. ‘Do I?’ I asked myself.

“Oh also I got some free movie tickets, I don’t know what to do with them so you can have them.” She said and broke my thoughts.

She handed me 4 movie tickets. I stared at them unsure of what to do because I didn’t have any friends to go with.


The next day:

Sunwoo dragged me to the cafeteria again to eat lunch together with ~~~~ and Chanhee. I thought it was a one time thing.

When we sat down, Sunwoo looked at me while Chanhee and ~~~~ were talking.

“Are you alright?” He softly asked.

I nodded in response. “Why do you ask?”

“Are you uncomfortable eating with us?” He asked.

Before I could answer, Chanhee and ~~~~ interrupted our conversation.

“You know, a new movie came out. I really want to see it!” Chanhee said.

“Shall we go then?” ~~~~ asked.

“Ah..” I spoke up. “My mum gave me free movie tickets. You guys can have them to go watch.”

“What about you?” Sunwoo asked. “Are you not going to use them?”

“I don’t have any friends to go with, so I don’t have any use for them anyway.” I said.

They all stared at me.

“W..what?” I asked.

“What are you talking about? You have 3 friends right here.” ~~~~ said. 

My eyes widened.

“Alright, so let’s meet on the tomorrow at around 12pm? Let’s have some lunch then go to the movies?” Chanhee planned.

“Sounds good.” Sunwoo said. Then he looked at me. “You’re free then right?”

I didn’t know what to say. No one had ever called me a friend.

When I went home, I quickly ran to my room and opened my wardrobe. ‘I need to pick something to wear.’ I thought.

My mum came into my room asking “What are you doing?”

“I’m going out tomorrow, so I’m picking an outfit.” I answered, looking at all my clothes.

“You’re going out?” My mum’s eyes lit up. “That’s excellent! Let me help you pick out an outfit!”

Movie day:


I was waiting at the meeting spot, nervously fiddling with my finger nails. 

“Sunyoung ah!” ~~~~ called. She walked up to me and had a big smile on her face. “Hello! Your outfit is so cute!”

I was flustered by the compliment. “Hello… Unnie…” I shyly said.

Sunwoo and Chanhee arrived shortly after.

While we were discussing where to eat, there was a passing bicycle that I didn’t see.

Sunwoo quickly put his hand around my shoulder and pulled me in close towards him, avoiding any collision with the cyclist.

“Are you alright?” He asked. 

I blushed and avoided eye contact. “Yes. Thank you.”

We headed to our lunch place, and on the way there, I saw a huge sale for this anime store that I usually like to browse through. 

I stared at it with sparkling eyes. ‘But if I go in, what if I scare them away?’ I asked. ‘I can’t risk it. I can’t show my real self…’

“You wanna go in?” Sunwoo asked.

I shook my head. 

“It’s okay if you want to browse, we don’t mind.” Sunwoo smiled.

Then ~~~~ grabbed my arm and pulled me into the store. “Don’t worry, I love anime as well!” She smiled.

We ended up buying a few things and when we sat down for lunch, I was very happily and busy fangirling about the anime merch I got. 

They all looked at me.

‘Uh oh…’ I thought. ‘I didn’t realise how carried away I got.’

“Sunyoung, you should smile more.” ~~~~ complemented. “I didn’t know you had this kind of bubbly personality. It really suits you.”

Butterflies filled my stomach and both my heart and body felt warm. I had never shown this side of myself before because no one ever got close to me. But now I was sitting here with 3 wonderful people, who didn’t judge me in the slightest like most people do. 


After the movie:

I got home and my mum greeted me from the kitchen.

“How was your day?” She asked.

“It was amazing.” I smiled.

Then my mum suddenly bombarded me with a hug.

“What are you doing?!” I asked.

“Do you know how long it’s been since you’ve let out such a warm hearted, genuine smile like this? I need to meet these friends of yours. I want to thank them for taking care of you.” My mum explained.

I pulled out a photo we snapped after lunch and showed my mum.

“They are the most amazing people I have met.” I smiled.

“WOW! Bring them over one day please, I would love to meet them.” Mum said. “~~~~ is beautiful, and Sunwoo and Chanhee did you say? They are very handsome. Do you by any chance like any of them?” My mum asked and raised her eyebrows.

“NO!” I glared at her.

She just laughed and went back to the kitchen.

I went into my room and laid down on my bed. I couldn’t stop looking at this group photo. I decided to put it onto my phone wallpaper and I just stared at it.

My eyes kept coming back to Sunwoo.
‘It was because of Sunwoo that my life is now full of happiness.’ I thought to myself. I stared at his smile and just looking at him made my heart beat faster than normal.

Sunyoung’s POV end

 

Sorry for the late update :') I was away for Christmas and new years. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday~ Stay safe :)