one day pt 4

inhale, exhale on repeat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Congratulations Shuhua, the banner above the door read. 

Along with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Seo sat at the table. The chatter was light, filled with fond memories and excitement for the future to come. 

Shuhua glared at her plate. Soojin had a performance tonight. A big one Shuhua had wanted to attend. But her parents had kiboshed the idea, noting it was too late for a school night. 

Technically she had already passed and the remaining days were mere formality. But if Shuhua was stubborn, she had learnt it from her mother who was a hardened veteran on the subject. 

"Eat up, dear. You know Soojin worries when you don't eat." 

The first forkful Shuhua almost bit through the tines. The metal was flimsy. Or well, more flimsy than her ire. 

At four in the morning, deep in the throes of her dreams, Shuhua's bedroom door creaked open. She was a heavyish sleeper who had a tendency to drool. 

"Shuhua?" Soojin whispered as she crawled into bed. "Shu?" 

"Ugrhh?" The groan was hoarse and barely cognisant. 

"Congratulations. You finished." 

"'rse." Shuhua smacked her dry tongue against the roof of . Her arms wound about Soojin’s waist and the breath she drew in was long and content. "Wife said…" the words drifted off, replaced by even breaths. 

Soojin smiled into the warm patch of skin just above Shuhua’s collar. "One day."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter