From Trees to Misunderstandings

Existence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IX

The days after the meeting passed surprisingly well for Chaeyoung. Even her transition into the group went smoothly. Due to her knowledge of herbs and plants, she became Dahyun’s assistance who was Sana’s official assistance. It was confusing yet the pale girl was adamant about emphasizing the position titles. The younger woman, on the other hand, could care less about it. She was just contented in contributing something for the group or perhaps she was just aware that Dahyun still does not fully trust her to be around the nurse. It was understandable but a little worrying. It was a problem to be dealt with later though for she had more pressing matters at hand.

“No, Dahyun-unnie. Even though I know cocoa leaves can be used for tea and chocolates are made from the fruit, doesn’t mean it would benefit us more than planting a banana tree. Besides, it takes 5-6 years for it to bear fruit while banana trees only take a year and a half at most.” Chaeyoung countered while trying to hold on to her patience – of what has been left of it anyways.

“But think of it, really think of it. What if we haven’t just discovered its other uses? What if the cocoa tree is really the tree of life and its fruit is the elixir? Imagine that!” Dahyun insisted, excitement in her voice. It was clear to see the woman was in awe of her own ridiculous theory.

Chaeyoung, for the life of her, couldn’t do anything but helplessly let out a deep sigh as she rack her brain for a more convincing comeback. It was a mystery to her how their conversation that started with Dahyun innocently asking what her favorite tree, turned into an intense cocoa tree vs other tree debate. It had been an hour of an exhausting hour of repetition. She didn’t want to just dismiss the pale girl though, no matter how silly her claims had become. It would undeniably be rude of her.

Thankfully, Sana, who was listening to the two woman’s amusing discussions from her spot near the medicine cabinet, decided it was time to save the little cub from the pale eagle. Nevertheless, she secretly admires Chaeyoung for her patience. She knows it gets hard to control Dahyun when she’s on her dreaming streak.

“Dahyunnie, please refrain from dragging our new recruit on your plans to have a field of cocoa tree planted in our backyard. Jihyo would probably be against it anyway. I believe it’s also your turn to help with cooking duties. We don’t want Jeonyeon waiting now, do we?”

Looking at her watch, Dahyun almost cursed when she confirmed it was almost lunchtime. She bid goodbye in a haste and ran to her duties like it was a matter of life and death, it was for her probably. All of the members knew Jeongyeon and waiting in one sentence spells Doom, some of them learned it the hard way.

“Poor Dahyun and here I thought she learned her lesson.” Putting back the medicines she had finished counting, Sana turned to Chaeyoung who she then noticed was giving her a thankful smile. “Oh, you don’t have to look like that. I saved both us and Dahyunnie from Jeong, of course. I love her to bits but she’s a bit uncontrollable when she gets excited. We’re alike in that aspect.”

Chaeyoung couldn’t agree more. She still can’t forget how Sana launched herself to her when she agreed to join and how she almost sounded like rapping while telling how happy she was. She thought it was sweet even though it was her ears that suffered the most consequences.

“So…I’m curious of what Jeongyeon-unnie did before to make Dahyun-unnie ran like hell from here.”

“It’s hard to believe but it was as simple as Jeongyeon threatening to hide all of Dahyun’s chocolate if she ever check-in late on her duties again.”

“That’s it?” Chaeyoung asked skeptically.

“Yup. I think Dahyun just loves her chocolates that much or perhaps it’s because once Jeongyeon hides somethi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter