twenty-six

After him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyemi knocked on Jaehyun’s door and waited, rubbing her hands together to warm them up since she walked in the chilly late October weather. She was invited for dinner since Taeyong has travelled back home for the weekend and Jaehyun’s offered to cook for her. The two have been on a few dates so far, so Hyemi dodged Nari’s helping hand choosing her outfit. She wanted to dress in something comfortable yet chic thus she was wearing a simple dark green button up A-line dress, with black boots which Jaehyun wouldn’t even notice since she has to take them off after entering his home. But at least she put some effort into her attire. After a minute the door swung open and there he was with an apron around his body, hair pushed back with a hairband and a wooden spoon in his hand.

“I guess I came early. Sorry.”

“Noooo!” he shook his head frantically and opened the door wider. “I’m almost ready I just need a few minutes, but come in.”

She nodded and stepped in, taking off her coat and boots, changing into house slippers. The lights were dim in the living room but the kitchen area shone brightly. The delicious smell of the food that he was cooking lingered in the air and watered already. The dining table was set, with scented candles and a vase of flowers on the middle. She sat down and had a good sight at how he was busying himself in front of the stove, stirring the content of the pot on it. His sleeves were rolled up so she could see his toned arms while cutting vegetables. He looked y and shined with masculinity. He was hotter than the stew on the stove.

“You didn’t tell me what you were cooking so I brought red wine.” she said as she took out the bottle from her bag.

“Good, I’m a whiny person.” he turned and winked at her.

She snorted and rolled her eyes. “That was a terrible pun. Haechan would appreciate it.”

He snickered and set a few side dishes on the table, taking the bottle form her and putting it in the fridge to cool. 

“I’ll change into something clean and be right back okay?” he took off his apron and tossed it onto the counter.

“Sure.”

He came back in ten minutes, all fresh, in jeans and a simple black shirt. His hairband was gone and his strands covered part of his forehead. He was handsome even without trying. He brought his vinyl record player from his room and set it on the coffee table. Hyemi watched him disappear into his room again and ran back with a few vinyl records.

He hummed and checked the vinyl records. “Cigarettes after ? What do you think?” he asked and Hyemi frowned.

“I don’t smoke.”

Jaehyun let out a hearty chuckle. “I mean, it’s the name of the band.”

“Oh. Right.” she flushed red. “I don’t know them. You can choose whatever, I don’t mind.”

“Okay.” he nodded and fished out the record. “I like that you weren’t even bothered by the part though.” he peeked at her and winked with a flirty grin.

Her face turned even redder. “Oh shut up Jung Jaehyun.” she crossed her arms over her chest and turned her head away. 

He couldn’t hide his bright smile as he put on the music. Once the food was ready, he served it, opened the bottle of wine and poured a glass for her, then lit the candles. The whole scene was like something out of the most romantic movie in the century. She couldn’t deny, she loved it.

“So, what’s on the menu Chef Jung?” she inspected her plate.

“My specialty.” he responded. “Spicy marinated pork with chilies and kimchi.”

“Mmmm.” she sniffed in the air. “Looking good.”

“Eat a lot.” he grinned and had a sip of his wine. “Careful, it’s hot.”

She nodded and grabbed her chopsticks. After having the first bite, the flavors exploded in and her eyes widened. “Oh my God Jaehyun!” she exclaimed. “This is awesome. It’s spicy and savory. Yeah the hangover soup was good too but geez, I didn’t know you were such a good cook.”

A proud smile plastered on his face. “Yeah, I’m full of surprises.”

“The braised tofu is delicious too. I’m amazed.” 

 He watched her eating delightfully and they locked eyes across the table. She smiled at him and was lost in his eyes. Months before she would have freaked out and started panicking. She would have felt worry washing over her but right now she enjoyed his gaze and a warm sensation flooded her body as a blush crept on her face.

“Your eyes will fall out.” she teased but he didn’t hesitate to reply.

“So will yours.” 

“I’m staring because you’re staring.” she retorted.

“I can’t help it, you’re beautiful.” the compliment rolled off his tongue effortlessly.

She scoffed but her blush was more evident. “Smooth.” she reached for her glass and had a sip. “I think I like wine better than beer and soju.”

“Are you experimenting with alcohol nowadays?” he inquired. “I thought you had enough when you got drunk with the girls few weeks ago.”

“I live with Johnny and Haechan.” she said. “They’re head over heels that I’m finally drinking alcohol so they weren’t even angry for that. I mean, Johnny wasn’t talking to Nari for a few days.” she changed to a whisper. “I think that’s because of the Yuta thing but anyways.” she shrugged. “And he says he can still smell the puke on himself but that’s just overdramatic Johnny.” she picked up the napkin and patted with it. “Geez, sorry I’m talking about disgusting topics while we eat.”

Jaehyun chuckled in a low voice. “If you finished eating you can move to the couch and I’ll bring the dessert.”

Her face lit up. “We have dessert too? You’re spoiling me.”

“You deserve it.”

His response was honest but Hyemi couldn’t help but feel guilty. She did not deserve all this. She did not deserve Jaehyun at all. She wants to deserve him though. She will work hard to earn his trust and his heart. 

Hyemi plopped down the couch and listened to the mellow music from the player on the table while Jaehyun placed their wine glasses on the table and brought a tray of colorful macaroons. 

“Okay, don’t tell me you baked those.” she pointed at the sweets and gazed at him.

“Of course I did. I made everything.” he said, fake-offended. 

“Sorry. You’re unbelievable. These look beautiful and I bet they’re delicious too.”

A cocky grin appeared on his face as he sat beside her. “Okay, I lied. I bought these.” 

“You’re evil!” she lightly smacked his shoulder then reached for a macaroon. 

Jaehyun jumped off the couch and ran back into the kitchen, telling her he forgot something. She couldn’t even imagine what had he prepared more. They had candles, romantic music, they had a fantastic dinner and wine with desserts. What could he possibly do more? Soon she realized when he came back with a bowl of strawberries.

“Wanna try one? They’re sweet, I checked it.” He held a piece and she opened so he could feed her. 

She nodded, signaling it was indeed sweet then had a sip of her wine. The vinyl records on the café table caught her eyes so she reached for them and put them onto her lap so she could check them out. 

“It hasn’t been long since I started collecting vinyl records but I have quite a few by now. This is one of my favorite.” he held Frank Ocean’s Blond album. 

“You’re such a comfort person. You listen to vinyl, you have scented candles, you drink wine, you read, play the piano and use an analog camera. Can you get any classier and more aesthetic?” she tilted her head towards him. “Whoever marries you, hits the jackpot for sure.” she held her glass to to have a sip when Jaehyun spoke up softly. 

“Wanna hit jackpot then?” Dimples broke out of the corners of his mouth.

Hyemi almost choked on her wine. He was such a sweet talker and a flirt. Good thing she was trained by Lee Haechan. She jokingly punched him in the stomach and he laughed in his low voice which she loved. 

“I like this music.” she closed her eyes and bobbed her head to the rhythm. “It’s very calming.”

He watched as she sipped her wine, his eyes moving over her lips. “The title is Falling in love. It’s fitting.”

Her heart melted into a puddle and her cheeks were burning. She could see the lust and desire in his eyes and she was afraid she failed to hide the fact that she felt the same. His face was flushed, she wasn’t sure if it was because of the wine or the longing to touch her. She hoped it was the latter. Jaehyun was so unbelievably handsome, it was intoxicating to look at him. She set her glass on the table with the vinyl records and repositioned herself so she was sitting on her heels, facing him. He carefully scooted closer, looking deep into her eyes. She felt dizzy and the butterflies in her stomach had gone crazy. They were so close yet too far for her liking. He reached out his hand, cupped her face and gently rubbed his index finger along her lower lip, sending chills down her spine. She let out a shaky breath and she was sure he could feel the trembling of her body. 

“I might be a bit drunk but I really want you to kiss me right now.” she whispered softly with glossy eyes. 

As if Jaehyun was only waiting for her permission, he pulled her closer and locked his lips with hers. It was a passionate kiss, one they were waiting since she had stepped into the apartment. He wrapped his arms around her waist and held her firmly in his arms. Her right hand was resting on his chest while the fingers of her left hand ran through his hair, pulling on it lightly. Jaehyun groaned into their kisses and leaned back with her until they were lying on the couch, legs tangled together. Her hand was working its way under his shirt, gently caressing his abs. She let out a moan when he nibbled on her lower lip just when Jaehyun broke their kiss. 

“I know I promised to take you home but if we continue doing this I don’t know if I’ll be able to do that.” he rasped, resting his forehead against hers.

Her breaths came in short gasps. “What if I don’t want to go home?” she challenged with a coy smile. 

He increased the distance between them so he could properly look her in the eyes. “Are you sure you want to do what I think you want to do?”

“Yeah.” she set her gaze on his lips. They were plump and red, so welcoming. “I want it.”

He felt like exploding right on spot. Slowly he started ing her dress, one button after another, exposing the milky skin under. He pulled a little on the dress so he had access to her shoulders, planting chaste kisses on them. She tilted her head back and shut her eyes close, her fingers running through his soft hair. Jaehyun started to work his way up her neck, along her jaw and back to . She giggled softly when he pecked her nose and chin. She pushed herself up and sat on his lap, pulling him up so she could take off his shirt. Her dress fell down from her shoulders and Jaehyun gasped at the sight. 

“You’re so beautiful.” he groaned in delight and caressed her sides.

She smiled bashfully as she ed his jeans. “I’m so glad I’d bumped into you and poured coffee on you that day.”

“I was mesmerized by you even back then. The next day I would have bathed in hot coffee just to meet you again but thankfully we had quite a few classes together.”

Letting out a chuckle she rolled to the side so Jaehyun could take off his jeans finally. Then he undid the last buttons of her dress, tossing it across the room. Their kisses became more desperate as they were more impatient to touch and feel each other. Hyemi’s mind was clouded with long lost lust, feelings she thought she would never experience again in her life. She felt loved in a way she never wanted to feel again, but Jung Jaehyun made an exception in her life. He showed her that she was capable of emotions she tried to forget forever. And she didn’t mind it at all.

 

They were lying on the couch, under a fluffy blanket, , feeding each other with the remaining strawberries as their giggles echoed in the apartment. 

“Let’s not share this information with Taeyong.” he suggested and she nodded agreeing. 

“Let’s not.” 

A peaceful silence engulfed them. The music has stopped and the candles burned out, only the street lights gave some flickering dim brightness to the room. She traced his chest with her fingers, making small circles and watching how goosebumps appeared on his body once she touched him.

Hyemi reached for another piece of strawberry, holding the blanket to her chest while she leaned closer to the table. That was when Jaehyun noticed the tattoo on her rib. His finger traced along the words, making her giggle at the ticklish feeling. 

“You save yourself or you remain unsaved.” he read it out aloud. “It’s a really powerful quote.”

Hyemi put the strawberry into Jaehyun’s mouth and nodded. “It is. I have a friend, a really strong friend whom I look up to, she has this tattoo too.” she explained.  “We’ve got it the same day.”

“Friendship tattoo?”

“Well, not exactly but you could say that too. We both needed strength in our life, we both needed to stand up. She was a big push for me, though I still have to work on many things in my life, but I want to do good.”

Jaehyun’s lips stretched to a smile. “I’m sure you will, and I’ll be here to help you.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter