eighteen

After him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Jung Jaehyun]

Good morning Hyemi. Just wanted to let you know I won’t make it to class today since I’m stuck in bed. I’m sick : / Have a good day and lend me your notes if you don’t mind. : ) 

Hyemi’s been staring at the message for ten minutes now, her breakfast long forgotten on the table. Sick. The word sent icy chills down her spine. She let out a sigh and stared at the message for another five minutes when Nari joined her in the kitchen, inspecting the girl’s expression. 

“What’s with the long face?” she inquired. 

The pink haired girl rested her head on her hand and put down her phone, answering Nari’s question. “Jaehyun’s sick so he won’t be at class.” she pouted. 

Nari hid her smirk and cleared . “Then you should pay him a visit. Bring him some nutrient rich food and make sure he’s okay.”

Hyemi scoffed. “What? I’m not his girlfriend.” she averted her gaze but her burning cheeks betrayed her true emotions. 

Nari shook her head while clicking her tongue. “Yeah but you’re his friend. You didn’t have a problem when you had to buy medicine for Haechan or when you were running errands for Johnny when he was stuck in bed for a week.” she pointed out. “Never mind. I’ll visit him later and make sure he’s eating so he can get better.” she was about to stand up when Hyemi frantically grabbed her arm. 

“No!” she snapped. “I’ll visit him after classes. I have to bring him my notes anyway.” she shrugged, Nari nodding at her with a mocking smile. 

 

 

Hyemi rang the doorbell and waited at Jaehyun’s door, accompanied by two large shopping bags. She groaned inside. It was a hassle to buy groceries and come here but her mind swirled around Jaehyun being sick all day. How he might be lying in bed as fatigue overtakes his body. How he might cough until his eyes are teary. Her heart clenched at the thought and her grip tightened on the shopping bags. The door opened and a rather flustered Taeyong greeted Hyemi. 

“I heard Jaehyun is not feeling well.” she scratched the back of her head awkwardly. 

“Ah!” Taeyong nodded like he just remembered that fact. “Yeah, he’s been sick since Saturday.”

“I…” she started but paused. She was embarrassed to the point her face was red as an apple. “I brought my notes from class and thought I might cook him something.”

Taeyong studied the girl at the door and his lips stretched to a smile. He opened the door wider and stepped aside. “Come in, Hyemi.”

Jaehyun was curled up on the couch, blanket over his head while he was watching tv, letting out a few coughs, looking like a tired burrito. He widened his eyes at the sight of Hyemi, pulling the blanket tighter like it could shield him from the girl so he won’t make her sick too. 

“Hyemi?” he called, the girl smiling at him in response. “What are you doing here?”

“Here are my notes.” she handed him a bunch of papers then held the bags higher. “I’ll make you porridge, okay?”

Jaehyun nodded uncertainly, eyes still wide. He pinched himself under the blanket to justify that him seeing Hyemi was not a dream. 

“How are you?”

“I’m fine.” he muttered.

The girl narrowed her eyes. “You don’t look fine.” she stepped closer, inspecting the male. Jaehyun’s face was flushed, he had dark circles under his eyes and his nose was redder than Rudolph the reindeer’s. She leaned closer, Jaehyun leaning back at the same time, gripping on his blanket. He felt too vulnerable under the girl’s intense stare. 

“Oh, our poor Jaehyunie.” she cooed and placed her palm on Jaehyun’s forehead. His eyes widened and his already flushed face became even redder. “Feels like you have a fever.” Hyemi pouted. “Stay here and I’ll cook porridge for you and make some tea, okay?”

He nodded obediently and Hyemi mimicked his movements then walked to the kitchen. She looked around hesitantly as she placed the shopping bags on the counter. Just then, Taeyong also entered the kitchen and went straight to the fridge. While Hyemi was taking out the ingredients for her porridge, Taeyong quickly put the food he’d cooked beforehand into the freezer. Hyemi didn’t have to know that he’d already cooked for Jaehyun. 

“I’ll use the kitchen, I hope it’s okay with you.” she told the male.

“Yes, of course.” Taeyong nodded with a smile. 

Hyemi looked around helplessly. She didn’t really think about what to do. After her class, she’d rushed to the supermarket and bought a bunch of ingredients she could use to cook porridge. She didn’t know why, but she felt the urge to take care of poor sick Jaehyun. She opened a few cabinets and closed them the minute she noticed there weren’t any bowls there she could use. Taeyong watched her for a while with an amused look on his face then took pity on the girl. 

“You need help?” he asked, Hyemi showing the most relieved smile on the earth.

“Please?” she clasped her hands. “I’m not the best cook in the world but thought I’d make him some porridge. Can you give me a bowl?”

Taeyong nodded and opened the cabinet where they’d store the bowls and frying pans, handing one to Hyemi. “Give me the vegetables and I’ll cut them.”

Hyemi thanked him and handed him a few carrots, onions and radishes. While Taeyong started peeling and cutting the vegetables, Hyemi put on some water to boil so she could make some tea for Jaehyun, and also put on the base of the porridge to boil too. She gasped when she remembered the medicine she’d bought. 

“It’s really nice of you to come here and cook for him.” Taeyong stated, Hyemi nodding faintly. 

“That’s what are friends for.”

“I’m glad he has such caring friends.” he smiled, Hyemi mimicking him. “Jaehyun really needed good friends.”

Hyemi let out a polite chuckle while Taeyong scrutinized her. She didn’t know what was in his mind, why was he looking at her with that cheeky squint of his eyes. Fortunately, the tea was ready so Hyemi poured the warm liquid into a mug, took the medicine out of her bag and set everything on a tray. He asked Taeyong to look after the boiling porridge while she took everything in the living room. Jaehyun was watching a variety show but his attention shifted to the girl the minute she entered the room. She placed the tray on the coffee table and ushered Jaehyun to take some medicine and drink the tea. 

“Thank you for coming.” He said, his voice groggy. 

“It’s the least I could do. Here.” she handed him a pill. “It’s for the fever.” 

She watched him take the pill and drink the tea when Taeyong poked his head around the door.

“Hyemi, I have to go now. I cut the vegetables and took out some side dishes so you can finish it on your own.”

“Oh, right.” she nodded. “Thank you, Taeyong.”

He hummed in response and peeked at Jaehyun, shaking his head. “Our poor Jaehyunie surely looks bad. Drink lots of water and rest for the day, okay?” he cooed sweetly, making Hyemi chuckle and Jaehyun frown.

“Stop babying me, you two.” he tilted his head with a pout. 

“Aigoo,” Hyemi started patting his head affectionately, making him even redder. 

Taeyong giggled at the interaction then bid the two goodbye. Hyemi hurried in the kitchen to put the vegetables into the porridge and seasoned it, then went back to check up on Jaehyun. He was still sitting on the couch, buried in his blanket with the cutest pout on his face. She walked closer and sit on the edge, shaking her head at him.

“You should take better care of yourself, Jaehyun.” she chided him, the male looking up at her with drowsy eyes.

“Why don’t you take care of me, hm?”

Hyemi coughed out a nervous laugh. “I’m trying. I’m cooking for you.” she turned her head to hide her growing blush on her face.

Jaehyun grinned weakly but triumphantly at her. “Thank you, Hyemi.” he coughed a few times and Hyemi couldn’t help but coo at him again.

“Aigoo, poor Jaehyunie.” she patted his head rhythmically.

Jaehyun became lightheaded as the medicine started working in his body, even his vision was blurry. He leaned back on the couch, head resting on the backrest. Hyemi was still patting his head while blabbering something, but he couldn’t focus on what she was saying. He closed his eyes and was basking in the feeling of her touch. It felt good. Hyemi’s hand travelled to his forehead to check his body temperature. He still felt hot. His breathing became more even, lips slightly parted as he drifted to dreamland. A small smile appeared on Hyemi’s face upon studying his features. He was so insanely handsome. She wanted to brush his hair away from his face when Jaehyun’s hand shot up and grabbed her wrist, pulling her beside him. Hyemi landed with a soft gasp, her head slightly bumping to his chest. He was looking at her with glossy eyes, the warmth of his body burning her skin. One hand still pulled her closer the other traveled to her cheek, catching her off-guard. 

“Jae… Jaehyun?” she whispered. 

He didn’t utter a word, just bumped his forehead against hers as he let out a tired sigh, Hyemi too, was speechless. His body felt heavier and heaver on hers as he leaned forward more, resting his head on her shoulder. He murmured something incoherent, hands falling to his thighs. In her panic, Hyemi patted his shoulder. 

“Jaehyun-ah? You okay?”

“Am not.” he muttered. 

“Do-do you need something?” she stuttered while tried to steady his heavy body. 

“I need you.”

Hyemi tensed up, her eyes went wide. She almost didn’t catch his sentence, even though he was close to her hear. His voice was soft, sleepy, but full of eagerness. She gently held his body and lied him down the couch, adjusting the blanket on him. She tried to gulp down the lump in as fuzzy thoughts clouded her mind. Jaehyun needs her. He said, he needed her. She was about to leave the room when his hand gripped on her wrist again. He opened his eyes, staring at the girl with an intense gaze. 

“You won’t leave me alone, right?” his question came as a whisper and Hyemi found herself whispering back. 

“I won’t.”

“Never?”

Her lips stretched to a smile upon seeing his scared face. He looked like a child who was afraid of monsters and begged her mother to stay with him. 

“Never, Jaehyun.” she nodded reassuringly. “I’ll be there for you. Always.” she sat down and caressed his face with her free hand, the other was still locked in Jaehyun’s firm grip. 

His worried features eased and he closed his eyes, hand falling to his side. The effects of his fever and the tiredness took over his body and knocked him out finally. Hyemi let her eyes linger on him a little more. Sweat beaded his forehead, wetting his bangs. She reached and brushed his hair to the side, this time Jaehyun didn’t prevent her. He seemed peaceful, deep in sleep. Hyemi’s hand traveled down the side of his cheeks, caressing him gently. Jaehyun smiled under her touch and for a moment, Hyemi thought about what ifs. What if she was Jaehyun’s girlfriend. Could he manage her? Could she handle a new relationship? Could she be a good girlfriend to him? That moment was probably the first in two years, when Kang Hyemi fantasized about a life with another man than Simon Suh. Strangely, the thought didn’t seem too odd. Her train of thoughts was interrupted by the noises coming from the kitchen. She gasped, covering and jumped to her feet. 

“Oh ! The porridge!”

 

 

A month flew in a blink of an eye and it was already October. All of them were busier than ever. Johnny was working diligently in the café, Nari too was busy with her part time job beside studying. Haechan has thrown a few parties, with the help of Shiwoo, but he also had other responsibilities since their graduation was around the corner. He has to take over his family’s company soon, so he’s been meeting up with his parents more often so his father can teach him everything he needs to know to run the Lee Corporation. 

As for Hyemi, she was able to spend more time with Jaehyun. Both have been volunteering in that shelter they’ve been together before. They’ve been studying together most of the time, they’ve been having lunch together almost every day. As for that, the reason behind was mostly that Shiwoo was glued to Hyemi during lunch time and Jaehyun didn’t want to leave the two alone. Yes, he was Simon’s friend and their relationship wasn’t something romantic. However, the fact that he’s comfortably and freely touching and hugging the girl, irked Jaehyun. Johnny had said that their interactions were innocent, and even Jaehyun could see that Shiwoo was teasing him specially, but that didn’t stop his jealousy. So he was desperately trailing after the girl.

The two pink-haired became a set. At campus they were always seen together and if people saw them alone they would question where the other was. And with the growing intimacy between the two, grew the teasing from their friends and the people around. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter