twenty-three

After him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning.” Hyemi sat down beside Haewon after grabbing a mug and pouring coffee for herself.

Johnny put a bowl of cereal in front of the youngest girl who smiled dearly and thanked him. Nari was already at class so it was just the three of them until Johnny’s door swung open. Haechan hurried his steps to the kitchen and grabbed a handful of cereal from the box, stuffing his mouth. 

“Morning Honey.” he patted Johnny’s shoulder.

“Morning Sweetie. Did you have a good sleep?” he answered casually, Haewon rolling her eyes across him.

“Would’ve been better if you wouldn’t snore like a pig.” he snorted and shoved another handful of cereal into his mouth, refusing the milk Hyemi pointed a finger at. 

“The door is wide open for you to leave, baby.” Johnny remarked.

“What’s with the suit?” Haewon studied his attire. “Are you going to a funeral?”

“Yeah, I’m burying my youth and sanity.” he commented and opened the cabinet. He knew Nari had a few caramel chocolate bars there and he would definitely steal one. Or two. 

“Where did you get the suit? Did you go home?” Johnny arched his eyebrows.

“Nah, Hyemi’s closet.” he shrugged and shoved the almighty chocolate bar into his pocket. 

Johnny blinked in surprise. “What? Why’d you have a suit in Hyemi’s closet?”

“Because she’s not as messy as you.” he stated matter-of-factly, washed his hands and adjusted his tie, then checked the time on his phone. 

“Yah! Is that my tie?”

“Noooo, you’re wrong.” he winked cheekily. 

Johnny slammed his fist against the table. “ you! I have only one tie, that’s my ing tie!”

“Give his ing tie back, Haechan!” Haewon butted in but Johnny smacked her head lightly.

“Language!” he chided.

“But you curse too!” she fought back.

“I’m an adult.” he answered and stuck his tongue out.

“Yeah sure.” the girl rolled her eyes and had a spoonful of her breakfast.

Hyemi stared at Haechan with big, worried eyes. When he dresses up like the heir of the Lee Corporation, it never means good. “Haechan-ah.” she called his name, him turning his head towards her.

“Don’t worry. I’m meeting mom and dad.” he shrugged.

Haewon’s body tensed and the spoon fell from her hand. “What? I thought they were on a business trip and didn’t supposed to come home in the next few days.”

“Well, apparently their one and only daughter has run away from home, so they decided otherwise.” Haechan shot an indignant look at his little sister. He downed a cup of coffee in one and walked to the front door. “Don’t worry little one. I got this.” he winked at Haewon then opened the door and left the apartment. 

“You know, when he says he got this, I always feel the crippling anxiety because he just doesn’t.” she shook her head and had a spoonful of her food.

“Put more faith in your brother and less cereal in your mouth.” Johnny reached out his hand and wiped the side of her lips with a napkin, the girl blushing and humming happily. 

Hyemi smiled at their interaction and finished her coffee. “What are your plans for today, Haewon?”

“Johnny’s taking me out for lunch, until then I just want to chill and play with Tofu.”

“You are?” she turned to the male.

“I can’t leave her here without food and money, and I’m definitely not going to leave her here without food but with money.” he peeked at the younger and snorted at her angelic, innocent face. The devil in disguise, he thought. “I have afternoon classes, so after lunch Nari will take her home.”

“Wait, I didn’t agree on that!” she dropped her spoon that clattered to the plate.

“I don’t need you to.” he silenced her with a look. “You’re sixteen, without your brother, your phone, money and the ability to make rational decisions. You do as I tell you!”

“Oh Daddy, spank me, I’m bad.” she changed to a cocky smile and winked at Johnny, the male choking on his food, Hyemi laughing loudly at the apparent teasing.

“Kids these days, seriously.” he muttered after he stopped coughing. “I think I’m getting old.” His statement was followed by utter silence, only the clinking of the spoons could be heard. “Nooo, Johnny, you’re not old, what you supposed to say.” he continued, offended that no one contradicted him. “At least you help me out, Hyemi!”

“But you are getting old.” Haewon cut in, looking at him innocently. 

He pointed a finger at her. “That’s it! You’re grounded!” 

 

 

Haechan arrived first at the fancy restaurant where his parents had made a reservation. He waltzed in the building, hands in his pockets, whistling a happy tune. His eyes lit up when he noticed a familiar elderly man.

“Ayyy! K to the I to the M, Secretary Kiiiiim!” he quickened his steps, reaching his arms to an embrace. 

The male stopped him with a stern stare. “Welcome, Mr. Lee.”

“Oh, come on man! Nobody sees us. Greet me as you should greet the heir of Lee Corp. Like in the good old days.” he winked and nudged the man with his elbow.

Secretary Kim looked around warily, checking if one of his employers were around already. Since they weren’t, he broke into a playful grin. Haechan caught the mischievous glint in his eyes so he stood in front of him. Then their secret way of greeting each other began. Starting with a high-five then they did three fist bumps, two were sideways, then pointed at each other like they were holding guns, making a bam sound, turned around, bumped their together then finally nodded at each other.

“Good to see you, Haechan-ah.” 

“That’s what I’m talking about! Good to see you too, Secretary Kim.” Haechan smiled back at the male. “But also, I’m heartbroken that you have a new accomplice.”

“What do you mean?” the elderly male’s smile grew on his face. 

Haechan snorted. “Don’t tell me Haewon could plan this whole alone. You must have helped her.”

Secretary Kim’s eyes twitched but his smile was still apparent. There was no point lying to Haechan. Even though Secretary Kim had a huge impact on raising Haechan, Haechan knew him all too well since he was also present as Secretary Kim became older, wiser, and one might say even more mischievous. 

“I’d just provided her the address of your mansion and the university and secretly made sure she’d arrived safely.”

Haechan shook his head in disbelief and was about to remark but then Mr. and Mrs. Lee walked in. The two were seated across their son, sipping on red wine while having a casual brunch.

“How have you been darling?” his mother looked up from her plate. 

“Fine.” he said curtly. “Please don’t beat around the bush, it’s a serious matter that Haewon has managed to run away.”

“She may not have a talent for studying but she’s smart for sure.” Mr. Lee smiled under his breath. 

Haechan snorted. How his parents couldn’t take this matter seriously was beyond him. “So, what’s this about her marriage with some old folk?”

His mother stopped eating and gulped. “What are you talking about?” 

“You know, that she has to marry a thirty something old dude, yada yada.” he waved his hand. 

“I-I don’t know what you mean. There is no negotiation regarding her marriage yet.” Mrs. Lee continued with a bewildered expression. “She’s only sixteen.”

“She’s heard you though.” he leaned back in his seat and poked his roasted lobster with the fork.

His parents shared a puzzled look, they still didn’t have a clue what their son was talking about. 

“Ah!” his mother clasped her hands together. “Your cousin’s marrying the third son of CJ Corporation. He’s the thirty something old dude, as you mentioned. She might’ve heard us talking about the marriage since I have a significant part in planning the event.”

“Geeez that idiot, running away for no reason.” Haechan rolled his eyes and tilted his head back.

“Haechan-ah. Now that you mentioned marriage. Honey…” Mrs. Lee shared a worried look with her husband, who nodded in confirmation. 

Haechan’s father was surprisingly quiet since they’ve arrived and Haechan could smell that something was in the air. And he exactly knew what it was, why they hurried back home from a business trip and asked him to meet them, not bothered that their daughter ing flee the house.

“Okay. Show me the girl.” he sighed.

“Wait, you won’t fight?” his father stopped eating. “You give in that easily?”

“Dad, with all due respect, why the heck should I fight if there’s no point? We had an agreement. I do what I want until you find a bride. I accepted my future.” he shrugged and had his first bite from the lobster. Fortunately, he’d eaten before coming here so he wouldn’t starve to death through the day. These fancy restaurants and their small portions weren’t his cup of tea. First thing he’ll do when arrives back home he’ll eat two packs of ramen. Home. Not his mansion, but the shared apartment. That was his home. 

“Honey…” Mrs. Lee reached her hand out and grasped his son’s, tears b in her eyes.

Haechan studied his parents and a smile plastered across his face. “It’s okay, I’m not mad at you. At least I don’t have to bother with dating and all that stuff. We already know the goal of the relationship. Show me, is she pretty?”

His father let out a chuckle and wiped his mouth with a napkin before speaking. “Actually, she’s quite pretty.” he winked Mrs. Lee rolling her eyes. 

She fished out a black folder from her bag and slid it across the table. Haechan opened the folder and checked the photo of a brown-haired girl. His eyes travelled to the documents attached to the picture, basic information about the girl like her name, age, where she went to school, her hobbies and of course the biggest part was her family’s business interests and partnerships. 

“She’s the second child of the CEO of SHINee Holdings, the sister of Choi Minho, you know he was your senior in high school. His sister is two years younger than you. I heard she’s smart, witty. She also has to finish university so you still have two years as a bachelor. It’s just… You know, it’s good to get to know her.” Mr. Lee added.

Haechan held the picture between his fingers and analyzed the girl. “Choi Yoojung. She’s cute.” his lips stretched into a half smile. 

“It isn’t finalized. Just go on a blind date, talk to her, get to know her and if you happen to despise her, we won’t force you.” his mother added.

“How is that a blind date if I know how she looks?” he frowned and his mother scoffed.

“Smartass.” she said under her breath, Mr. Lee chiding her. 

“Soyoung-ah!”

“I know, sorry sorry sorry…” she said and a cheeky light glinted in her eyes as she continued singing the hit song of Super Junior, also dancing the moves. 

Mr. Lee facepalmed himself with a sigh. It wasn’t a surprise their kids turned out the way they were since even their mother couldn’t merge into a stuck-up snob. Much for his delight.

“Okay. Arrange a meeting and text me the details.”

“Thank you Honey.” his mother patted his hand on the table. “Now tell me about your sister.”

“She’s insane.” he stated and started telling the story how Haewon had come to their university, without her phone, money, and a clear idea what she wanted to do. Mr. Lee, to say the least, was impressed by her daughter and a proud smile plastered on his usually straight face. Haewon was the baby of the family. She was always surrounded by nannies, tutors and bodyguards. She also had a personal driver, so her, managing to find the way to the university in Seongdong-gu, an unfamiliar neighborhood for her, was impressive. 

“If only she put her smart brain into something more effective.” Mrs. Lee tsk-tsked and shook her head. Pushing her plate away she let out a sigh. “I could kill for a tasty ramen or tteokbokki. I’m so fed up with all these fancy restaurants. They give you a small sponge on a large plate, smudging the plate in the name of art. What am I supposed to do with that?”

“Soyoung-ah!” Mr. Lee warned but his tone was warm. “Manners Darling, manners.”

“But Hajoon!” the woman whined. 

Haechan watched his parents bicker and he couldn’t help but smile at the sight. The reason he was not entirely against arranged marriage was his parents. Their marriage was arranged too, but they seemed to work it out fine. They seemed happy. He fidgeted with his fork, poking the shell of the lobster, contemplating if he should say and ask what was on the back of his mind. 

“Can I a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter