nineteen

After him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaehyun was waiting for Hyemi in front of the shopping mall in which there was a cinema. He looked dashing and what made Hyemi gasp that he no longer had pink locks, he’d dyed his hair brown. He was handsome even before but know he looked mature and so freaking hot. Her heart skipped a beat as she was walking towards him. He noticed her and greeted her with a wave and a dimpled smile. 

“Hi! You look beautiful Hyemi!” 

The girl let out an awkward chuckle, thanking him the compliment. She peeked at Jaehyun, studying his new hairstyle. 

“So? How’s it?” he pointed at his hair.

She inspected him carefully before speaking. “It’s…” she paused to . Upon seeing his worried expression, she let out a giggle. “I’m kidding. It looks great.” she complimented.

He ran his fingers through his brown strands. “I’m glad you like it. I was afraid you preferred the candyfloss man.” 

“Well, I won’t go brown just to match you.” she stated and he chuckled at her comment. 

“Whatever.” he shrugged. “We still look like a blossoming cherry tree, but I moved from being a flower to being the trunk.” 

His reference made her stop walking and burst out laughing. She loved his humor that many people failed to appreciate enough. Jaehyun noted it proudly and suggested they should buy snacks and drinks, then head inside their room. 

 

Throughout the movie Hyemi couldn’t really focus on the story, she was mesmerized by Jaehyun. Every five minutes she peeked at him and felt butterflies in her stomach when he laughed. She just couldn’t take her eyes away from him. It was such a strange and foreign feeling. 

Being with him hit different after they agreed this to be a date. This was a freaking date and she couldn’t brush off her embarrassment. She flushed red when Jaehyun met her eyes. He asked if something was wrong, but she shook her head and turned her attention back on the movie to hide her embarrassment of getting caught.

A shiver ran down Hyemi’s body since it was rather cold there. She rubbed her arms with her hands to warm herself up a bit when Jaehyun took off his jacket and placed it on her lap. She shook her head, signaling it was fine. Jaehyun leaned closer so he can whisper in her ear and told her it was okay, he didn’t feel cold. Neither did Hyemi after that dangerously close encounter. 

After the movie, they headed to a nearby restaurant to have something for dinner. Jaehyun pulled the chair for her first, then sat down. Hyemi smiled at how polite he was every time. They ordered pasta and lemonade and waited. As Hyemi was looking out the window, watching the people and the city, Jaehyun’s phone vibrated on the table. 

“Did you like the movie?” he asked, ignoring his phone.

“Yeah,” She nodded.” It was rather funny.”

“Yeah, I wasn’t scared either. I mean… Zombie monkeys?” he chuckled. “Remember the movie we’ve watched at your place, the horror about the friends who’s gone insane? Now that was a good one.”

“Yeah I liked that too. That was the only movie we’ve watched together.” she wondered. “We should watch more movies, why aren’t we watching movies?”

Jaehyun’s lips stretched to a cheeky smile. “Because a movie equals cuddling and you’ve been running away from me.” his phone buzzed on the table, making him groan again but he still ignored it. 

Hyemi snorted. “Wow. You the flirt machine pretty quick now that it’s a date.”

“My flirt machine’s been the moment I saw you, you just haven’t realized.”

She was about to reply when the waiter brought their food and drinks. They thanked the man and Jaehyun gave a napkin for Hyemi. 

“Why?” she asked curiously.

“Hm?”

“Why are you trying so hard? I mean, I’m a mess and you’ve been so kind to me.”

“You’re not a mess, Hyemi. You’re far from that.” he denied quickly then had a sip from his lemonade.

“I just don’t understand why is the hassle worth it for you?”

Jaehyun put down his glass and cleared his throat. He’s been honest with the girl so far, he didn’t want to lie to her. He didn’t want to tell her amazingly romantic remarks. He didn’t want to make up something clever either. So he told her the not so fancy truth. “I don’t know.”

Hyemi raised an eyebrow as if ushering him to elaborate.

“I really don’t know, Hyemi. At first you just seemed interesting. You know, a pretty, pink haired girl, with two coffees, walking like a zombie, seemingly lost in her own world. I watched how you almost stumbled over your own feet but you didn’t even flinch. You were coming closer and closer. Still lost in your world and I was wondering what could be in your mind that occupies you that much. Then you were dangerously close to me and as lost you were in your own head I was as lost in you.” his eyes didn’t leave the girl’s face and she felt her cheeks burning while she was listening him speak.  “Then we collided and I could see the moment you shifted back to reality. You looked so startled, so fragile, so panicked I just wanted to comfort you.” he showed her a dimpled smile. “The world is so small. You had to be the best friend of the only person who’s known who I was, and we had to attend the same classes. I’ve thought a lot about you since then. We slowly got closer and I realized how similar but at the same time how different we are. I really don’t know why, Hyemi, but I am attracted to you. You’re like a magnet that’s pulling me closer.” 

His words warmed her heart and her lips stretched to a sheepish smile. She understood what he meant, she felt the same way. She didn’t know what gravitated her towards Jaehyun but she found herself spending more and more time with him. She was always looking forward to see him, she couldn’t wait to talk to him. Gradually, he became her comfort companion, filling her days with joy. They locked gazes, both smiling while the blush spread across their faces. 

Jaehyun’s phone vibrated again, breaking their trance and he let out an irritated sigh. “Are you kidding me? Seriously.”

“You can check it.” Hyemi pointed at the phone, suppressing a giggle.

“No, I’m on a date. It’s probably not important.” He brushed it off but groaned and frowned when his phone started buzzing nonstop.

Hyemi let out a chuckle. “Just check it. It seems important.”

He furiously unlocked his phone and checked the messages before a snort escaped his lips. 

“What?” she couldn’t hold back her laugh upon seeing Jaehyun’s grimace. “Who’s it?”

He gazed up at her with a side smile. “Haechan.”

“What?” she started coughing and reached for her glass to drink some lemonade. “Lee Haechan? What does he want?”

“He’s describing how he’s going to kill me if I don’t take you home before 11 and if I dare to do anything else to you other than hold your hand. Woah! He’s creative.” he chuckled as he was reading Haechan’s threats.

“I’ll kill him.” Hyemi gritted her teeth. “I swear to God I go home and kill that idiot.”

“He’s sleeping over again?”

“Yeah, in the past week he’s been with us every day. His back’s aching from the couch so he’s sleeping with Johnny for two days in a row.”

Jaehyun hummed in response and had a bite from his food.

“Something might be bothering him.” she wondered and poked her pasta with her fork. “He’s been doing this since he’s moved out from his parents and had a place of his own. Seems like he hates that place.” she turned her fork to wind up her pasta and lifted it to . 

“He’s an interesting one.”

Her lips curled and she agreed. “He’s a good guy and a great friend. He always has my back whatever I do. He just yearns for attention and love since his parents are busy most of the time.”

“I envy your relationship with them. You guys have a beautiful friendship.”

“Yeah.” she nodded. 

It was indeed true. She couldn’t imagine her life without Nari, Johnny and Haechan. A true friend is someone who you can trust and count on no matter what. Who doesn't let you down and supports you. Someone who builds you up and makes you a better person despite seeing and experiencing your worst side. True friends will remain by your side thick and thin, they stay with you through your traumas, disappointments, they don’t abandon you. Hyemi’s lucky to have friends like them and she was lucky enough to experience true love beside true friendship.

“My relationships were shallow. I only have Taeyong but he’s not at Hanyang. As I’ve told you already, the guys with whom I was hanging out first year didn’t recognize me at all, so I was happy when Johnny remembered.”  

“I thought you’re popular.” she mocked.

Jaehyun shook his head with a curious smile. “Among who?”

“Well,” she tapped her chin.  “You know that high school near the convenience store? Next to our college.”

“Yeah.”

“I saw a few high schoolers going awe when you walked by.”

“That’s just great.” he exhaled loudly.

Hyemi finished her drink and gazed at Jaehyun with a smile. “Don’t worry, now you have us.”

His eyes sparkled and resonated happiness as he answered. “Now I have you for sure.” his phone buzzed again. After rolling his eyes he checked the message and averted his attention back on the girl. “Until Lee Haechan decides to kill me.” 

They shared a laugh and continued eating.

 

Jaehyun paid for their meal and they exited the restaurant. They were walking to the bus stop when Jaehyun sneaked his hands over Hyemi’s, encircling their fingers. She peeked at their interlaced hands and felt her heartbeat fastening.

“Haechan let me do it, but if you’re uncomfortable, I let you go.” he loosened his grip but Hyemi didn’t let his hand go.

“No.” she said almost whispering. “I like it.”

Jaehyun tried to hide his smile as they reached the bus stop. They weren’t talking while they waited for the bus but it was a comfortable silence and they were still holding hands. Jaehyun’s stop was a little further than hers, but he offered to take her home. She opposed, saying it was okay and she could manage, but Jaehyun shushed her, telling her how Haechan would definitely kill him if he wouldn’t take her home.

After getting off the bus they stood in front of the apartment complex. 

“Thank you Jaehyun. It’s been a while since I’ve been on a date and I really enjoyed it, thanks to you.”

“I had a great time too.” he agreed. “Then do I have a chance for another date?”

“Hmm, I don’t know, I’ll have think about it.” she answered teasingly, making Jaehyun smile. 

“Think thoroughly then.” he leaned closer, slowly. Hyemi’s cheeks flushed and her body instinctively tensed, afraid he might kiss her. However, he didn’t kiss her lips. He pecked the top of her head, sending chills down her spine. It didn’t feel bad, didn’t feel awkward and tainted. It was soft, warm and natural, and it scared her even more. “Good night, Hyemi.”

“Go home safely, Jaehyun.” she smiled at him and turned around to walk inside the building.

Jaehyun waited until the lights were on at their apartment, signaling that she entered safely, then started his way home.

 

She opened the door in complete silence so she won’t wake the others up. She closed the door, took off her shoes and tiptoed to the kitchen, turning on the lights. She l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter