fourteen

After him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On a Saturday in mid-May, Johnny was peacefully having breakfast while the two girls were crying on the couch. Nari was holding her phone and they were watching a video while bawling their eyes out, dramatic sobs and sniffles erupting both. Haechan opened Johnny’s door, poke his head around the door and frowned. The crying sounds of girls never mean good. He took a few unsure steps, had a bemused glance at the girls then hurried his way to the kitchen. 

“Uh, what’s this noise early in the morning?” he grumbled, stretching his arms. 

“Dude, it’s almost noon.” Johnny raised an eyebrow and poured a glass of water for himself. 

“Then why are you eating cereal?”

“I eat whatever I want, I’m an adult.” he replied and stuck his tongue at him. 

“I go freshen up.” Nari stood up and wiped her teary eyes, giving her phone to Hyemi. “Good morning Haechan.” she waved then went in the bathroom.

Haechan grabbed a pack of tissues from the counter and walked to Hyemi, reaching it out to her. “What are you watching that makes you bawl like a baby?” he asked and peeked at the phone. 

She gazed up and accepted the tissues then held the phone higher and showed it to Haechan. His eyes widened as he noticed the cute and funny puppy compilation video on the screen and backed away. He knew too well what it meant when they were crying over cute videos. It was a sign for him to run away, and as the said sign from the gods, Nari bolted out the bathroom, yelling hysterically. 

“We ran out! We ran out!” she shrieked and started crying again. She gazed at Haechan who made an X with his arms.

“Oh no. No no no no no! Not today, nah-ah!” he shook his head and headed to the front door. “I’m outta here.”

He couldn’t escape fast enough and Nari grabbed his arm, looking at him like her life depended on him. “We ran out of sanitary products.” she sniffed and Haechan tried to swat her hand away.

“No!” he barked. “I’m not ready for your period in sync drama, I’m going home.”

“Haechan-ah!” Hyemi cried out. “I thought this was your home.”

“You hear, you live here, you said that.” Johnny mumbled under his breath, earning a glare from Haechan.

Haechan stopped fighting with Nari and stared at the other girl. Hyemi’s puppy eyes were his soft spot, he always gives in when she looks at him like that. He rolled his eyes and turned to Johnny who was still eating his cereal, unbothered as always. Nari sat down the floor and hugged one of Haechan’s legs so he couldn’t go anywhere.

“Johnny.” Hyemi put the phone on the coffee table and called his name again since he ignored her the first time. “We need our care package.” she said in the softest voice, her tears rolling down her cheeks. Johnny put his empty bowl in the sink and leaned against the fridge.

“Lee Haechan?” he questioned the other male in the house.

“No, I’m leaving.” he growled and shook his leg so Nari would leave him alone but she didn’t even budge.

“Haechan-ah? You don’t love me?” Hyemi’s lips trembled as she spoke.

Haechan let out a frustrated sigh and massaged his temples. “Oh, seriously Pinku. Not you too.”

 

 

“Be friends with girls, they said. It will be fun, they said. Fun… my .” Haechan roared, annoyed, as he was walking down the street with Johnny. 

They headed to the nearest convenience store to get the necessary items for the girls, Haechan in full incognito with a black hoodie and black sunglasses. He too, was basically living with the two girls and knew that when they had their period it was impossible to say no to them. They would nag and cry until the boys go and buy things for them. Haechan tried to count the days so he would know when he has to leave the apartment for his own safety and peace, but sometimes he forgets it, and that’s when the situation is the worst. Someday they’re just depressed and in pain, but on the days when Haechan is around they turn into whining witches.

“I get the food, you get the diapers.” he told Johnny, the other rolling his eyes.

“They’re not diapers.”

“See Chicago? That’s why you go and find them.” he pointed at him then grabbed a basket and turned around. “Get them cotton rockets too!” he yelled as he sauntered away.

“They’re… Jesus Christ, Haechan.” Johnny sighed and shook his head in disbelief. 

Haechan already disappeared to get the sweets so Johnny to headed to the aisle where the sanitary products were. Since he was living with the girls for a while, he wasn’t shy about these kind of things. He stood in front of the shelves and studied the products. He already knew what brands and types the girls used, one type for daytime the other for nighttime, he was a pro by then. It was sweet in a way, and pathetic on the other. 

As he was checking the prices, a few girls whispered behind his back, giggling how cute and lovely he was to buy sanitary products, probably for his girlfriend. He straightened his back proudly, with a smug smile on his face, acknowledging that, yes, he was the boyfriend of the year and it was kind of y for other girls, seeing him like that. He dropped a few packs into his basket then walked away to find Haechan. The other boy was busy packing every chips, chocolates and cookies into his basket, then moved on to the drinks. He didn’t even look at what he was buying, he just packed everything he managed to touch. Johnny put their baskets on the counter, the cashier examining their items.

“Separately?” the rather young girl, who might have been a part-timer, pointed at the two baskets.

“All, just ring all of that .” Haechan shook his hand above the baskets and closed his eyes behind his sunglasses. 

“Oh, if you have a coupon these are cheaper.” she held the pads and Haechan scoffed.

“Miss, do I look like someone who has coupons for -pillows? Just scan all of that with your flashy cashier weapon, let me pay then let me go.” he groaned and fished out his card from his wallet and shove it in the girl’s face. 

The cashier peeked at Haechan and muttered her last question. “Would you like to keep the receipt?” she held the paper with trembling hands.

Haechan put his sunglasses on the top of his head and massaged the bridge of his nose as he heaved an annoyed sigh. The girl gulped when he looked her dead in the eyes. “Does this seem like a purchase I want to remember? No, I don’t need . Thank you very much, goodbye.” He grabbed the plastic bags, cursing under his breath and stormed out the store, Johnny flashing an apologetic smile at the girl and trailed after the younger.

 

 

“I feel like someone stabbed me in the stomach and twisting the knife.” Nari said and caressed her stomach.

“I feel like my s would burst anytime.” Hyemi added, the other girl nodding. They were lying on the couch with their legs resting on the backrest so they were upside down. “My emotions are on the edge. I want to cry then I feel like laughing.”

“I know, like, I really want to kill someone right now. And ah, feel like a spear running all the way through my lower abdomen.” Nari continued.

“Like someone is grinding my insides.” they looked at each other and chuckled. “I envy the guys.” Hyemi frowned as pain shot through her body again.

“Yeah me too. I hope they hurry. I’m craving sugar.”  she bobbed her head and sighed.

At that moment the front door opened and a very frustrated Haechan walked in first. He dropped the bags in front of the girls and turned tail, Johnny grabbing his hood. Haechan groaned and started unpacking the bags, placing everything on the table. He grabbed a box of tampons and dropped it on Nari’s lap.

“Here. I know you need something in your 24/7.”

“You’re so ing disgusting!” Nari shot him an incredulous look but took the package and ran in the bathroom. 

In the meantime, Johnny put on water to boil. Haechan activated a heat pack and placed it on Hyemi’s stomach, along with a fluffy blanket, then lit a scented candle, setting it on the coffee table.

“Aw, you do care for me.” she beamed.

“Of course.” he plopped down next to her and positioned her head onto his lap. “Do you need anything else, my lady?” he asked and started massaging Hyemi’s temples. 

She reached for a chocolate bar before closing her eyes. “No, thank you.” 

“Maybe a nice song would help soothing your pain.” he wondered with an impish smile.

“Haechan, no, please don’t sing Bleeding love.” the girl deadpanned but to no avail. 

Haechan had a big breath of air, closed his eyes, reached out his hands and started singing Leona Lewis’ famous song in an earsplitting high-pitched voice. “But I don’t care what they say, I’m in loooove with you!”

“Oh, God.” she pulled the blanket over her head.

Nari came back from the bathroom and Haechan gave her a heat pack while singing loudly. “Keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding love!”

“Chicago!” Nari cried out. “Kill him please before I kill him!” 

Johnny merely chuckled and placed two cups of ginger tea on the table. “Drink this. It’s good for cramps.”

Haechan was still chanting the lyrics of the song when Nari couldn’t handle it any longer. She opened a bag of snacks and shoved a chocolate cookie into the younger’s mouth. Haechan almost choked on the cookie but managed to chew it, gulp it and even curse Nari at the same time. He was a talented young man for sure. 

They were busy munching on the sweets when they heard the doorbell ring. The girls shuddered from the unexpected noise and asked Johnny to check who it was. He let out a sigh and walked to the door, checking the camera. A knowing smile appeared on his face when he saw the man on the screen. He turned back and yelled to Hyemi that it was Jung Jaehyun.

“Oh !” she facepalmed herself and sit up abruptly. “I was supposed to study with him because we have a test on Thursday, oh , , , I forgot.” she looked at herself and was horrified. She was wearing matching tiedye patterned sweatpants and hoodie, with a nice chocolate smudge on her hoodie’s front part. “Don’t let him in!” she shouted but Johnny already pressed the button so Jaehyun was on his way.

Not long after the door opened and Johnny greeted Jaehyun. Haechan sneaked behind Johnny and waved to him.

“Man, you should run away. It’s a warzone here.” he told the other, Jaehyun staring at him like he’s grown a second head. “It’s synced period drama days.” he added, Jaehyun’s eyes widening and light pink shaded his cheeks. 

Tofu noticed him and jumped off the couch, coming towards Jaehyun. He rubbed his body around his legs as he was purring loudly, welcoming the man.

“Lee Haechan!” Hyemi screamed from the couch. “Shut up already!”

“What?” he turned back and gave her a baffled look, then averted his gaze back at Jaehyun, who was pushed towards the kitchen by Johnny. “We’re a really open-minded household, you see. In this house we do real, we have fun, we hug, we love and we're not shy about things like periods. We embrace the gifts of God.” he spread his arms wide and hugged Jaehyun.

“Rich coming from you. Like, you were about to run away hours before.” Nari scoffed and took out a cookie from the bag.

“I guess it’s not a good time?” Jaehyun asked and peeked behind Haechan’s shoulders.

Hyemi stood up with the speed of a sloth, her limbs felt heavier than usual. “I’m sorry. I feel a little out of it.”

“It’s okay.” he nodded and was about to leave. “Next time then.”

“Stay!” she said too quickly for her liking. She groaned inwardly. “I mean, you’re already here. We were about to watch a movie. Join us if you want to.”

“Yes, don’t leave us alone with them, we need more witnesses when they go mad and kill us.” Haechan muttered, shifting behind Jaehyun.

So, they snuggled on the couch, Haechan sitting on the floor with Tofu, Nari leaning onto Johnny’s shoulder and Hyemi awkwardly sitting beside Jaehyun as the movie started. Throughout the movie Jaehyun would accidentally touch Hyemi’s hand which made her blush every time. It wasn’t something extraordinary but it sure made her heart flutter. She blamed it on the hormones.

“It makes no sense.” Haechan complained and pointed at the tv. “Why would you go to the forest in the middle of the ing night when all your ing friends died?”

“Shut up and watch it.” Nari kicked lightly his head, Haechan growling. 

He was scratching Tofu’s head when the cat stood up and jumped off his lap, up to the couch and softly walked to Jaehyun. He stood on his lap and looked at him, Jaehyun ignoring him as his attention was on the movie. Then Tofu lifted one of his front paw and put it on Jaehyun’s chest, finally earning a scratch behind the ear. He snuggled onto his stomach and purred.

“Traitor.” Haechan scowled at the cat, Hyemi smiling as she watched Jaehyun with Tofu.

After the movie Nari stood up and excused herself, saying she needed a nap. Johnny had an afternoon shift, s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter