thirteen

After him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Please Hyeeeeemi!” Nari’s been trailing after her everywhere in the past hour, whining loudly. 

“Look, I’m not that of a social butterfly. Just go and have fun with them.”

Nari was trying to convince her to go out drinking with the girls. It would be so much fun, she said, but Hyemi thought otherwise. She just wanted to snuggle in bed and read the book she had bought weeks ago but didn’t have the time for it. She just wanted to have a mug of coffee and watch a movie while petting Tofu. She didn’t feel the strength to go out, force a smile and talk to people she barely knew. Okay, they’d met a few times and, yeah, they were nice. Still, she didn’t want to go. It was too exhausting. 

“Please!” Nari grabbed her shoulders and made her stop. “Pretty please.”

“Why are you trying this hard?” she groaned.

“We’re seniors. This is our last days as carefree young adults. It’s already May, we’re done with midterms. Let’s have some fun.” she reasoned but it didn’t convince Hyemi a bit. The other girl let out a sigh. “Okay, look. I want to drink with you.” she said, making Hyemi scoff. “Really. You can drink now! We just go, have a few drinks, talk and laugh with the girls and we come home. Hm?”

“Park Nari I swear… Okay, but if you leave to get laid I will never go drinking with you, ever.”

Nari punched in the air and let out a triumphant cheer. She promised Hyemi she won’t leave her alone then ran in her room to get ready. Before changing her clothes, she grabbed her phone and sent a message to Haechan and Johnny. New plan in operation. 

 

 

It wasn’t a small gathering with the girls, as Nari had said. Almost the whole business department was squeezed in some barbeque restaurant. The air was filled with the scent of the cooking meat and the loud cheers. Hyemi sat between Nari and Eunbi, awkwardly grasping on a can of beer. They were playing drinking games and chatting with a few other girls from their department when Johnny, Haechan and Jaehyun casually walked in. When they noticed the girls at one table, they made their ways to them and sat down, Jaehyun across Hyemi.

“Is that a beer in your hand?” He pointed a finger at the can in Hyemi’s hand. 

“She’s not a anymore.” Haechan was quick to point out. “She can finally drink now.”

“Well, he’s not wrong.” Hyemi agreed. 

“And? How you like it?”

“I don’t know. It’s weird.” she answered and had a sip of her beer. “Kind of bitter. I don’t think I’ll be a fan.” 

“Heeeeey guys!”

Everyone at their table turned to the chirpy sound. The girl squeezed herself between Jaehyun and Haechan, making the latter growl in frustration. 

“Suji! You made it!” Nari grinned at the girl, who answered with the same enthusiasm, then turned to have a small talk with Jaehyun. 

Haechan stood up and changed seats with a girl so he was beside Nari. He looked at her with an annoyed expression and leaned closer. “What the hell? She likes Jeffrey, why the would you invite her to sit with us?” he mouthed.

Nari peeked at Hyemi and when she made sure she wasn’t listening, she turned back to Haechan. “Plan jealousy.” she winked.

“That’s a bad idea.”

“No, it’s a great idea. We need a reaction from her. She has to realize she’s feeling something when she sees him with other girls. Am I right, Johnny?” she pushed a can of beer to him to catch his attention.

He accepted the beer and popped it open. “I’m 100 percent sure you’re not, but to be fair I wasn’t listening.” 

Nari rolled her eyes, annoyed. “It’s a genius idea. Don’t worry.”

 

 

Hyemi was irked. The alcohol in her body started to kick in throughout the next few hours. She felt her cheeks burning and it became harder and harder to focus on what the people around her were talking about. Her attention, however, was directed towards Jaehyun and Suji in front of her. How the girl threw her head back when laughed, how her hand naturally found its place on Jaehyun's shoulder when he said something funny. The people around them changed seats to have a chit-chat with others but the two remained next to each other the whole time. It was so irritating, she groaned inside. It was her first time being drunk, she didn’t have a clue it would make her so annoyed and grumpy. 

Johnny was in the middle of explaining his point of view of a funny story Haechan had started, when Hyemi felt the dizziness overtook her and leaned her head against Johnny’s shoulder. She felt his arm around her body, securing her. 

“Are you okay baby girl?” he asked with a gentle smile on his face.

She nodded with closed eyes, so she didn’t have to see the demon in front of her, Suji by her name. “Yeah, just a bit tired.” 

“Want some water? Or food? Should I take you home?” with his other hand he caressed her cheek. She mumbled something close to a no, Johnny humming in response and tucking her pink hair behind her ear. 

“Awww.” Suji cooed. “You’re such a lovely couple I’m so jealous, right Jaehyun-ah?” she playfully smacked his arm while smiling at Johnny and Hyemi.

“We’re not a couple.” Hyemi opened her eyes and scowled at the girl, still cuddling with Johnny. 

Suji let out an awkward chuckle, tucking her hair behind her ear. “Sorry, but you guys look so deep in love, and you’re so cute. I thought you finally confessed and got together. You should really start dating, you can be the power couple of campus.”

“Suji.” Jaehyun warned softly when he noticed Hyemi’s frown deepen. 

Haechan looked around, searching for Nari for backup but the girl was nowhere to be seen. Johnny let out a sigh and was about to clear the misunderstanding when Hyemi slammed her fist on the table and leaned forward. “We’re not going to date, okay? Let’s just say he is my brother so drop this topic, please. Thank you.” her voice was loud, catching the other’s attention. “I need fresh air.” she stumbled up and hurriedly left for the exit. 

Johnny was about to stand up and go after her but Jaehyun beat him to it. 

“I got this.” he reassured.

Johnny let out a sigh then turned to Suji. “Now listen here, Suji-ah.” he smiled but it gave the creeps to the girl.

Haechan had a last glance at Jaehyun’s retreating body then downed his beer. “Such a mess.” he mumbled.

 

 

Knocking… Sounded like someone was knocking on her window. She has school the next day so she just wanted to sleep. Turning to her other side she pulled the blanket over her head, but the sound didn’t stop. She opened her eyes and fear hit her when she comprehended the situation. Someone is knocking on her window? In the middle of the night? Is it a burglar? No, a burglar wouldn’t knock, then who was it? She carefully got out of bed and stepped to her window. After pulling the curtains she let out a small gasp. Simon was grinning like an idiot, his face pressed against the glass. 

“What the hell are you doing here?” she asked after opening the window. 

“Hi, my dear Mimi.” he smiled and leaned forward. He was reeking alcohol. 

“You’re drunk?” she shrieked whispering. “Simon!”

“Yeah.” he chuckled and pushed Hyemi to the side so he could climb in. 

“Are you out of your mind? What are you doing?”

Simon ignored her questions and finally fall in the room. He snickered and stood up, grabbing Hyemi and pulling her to his embrace. She was still whining about how irresponsible Simon was to get drunk and if that wasn’t enough, he even woke her up and climbed in her room, on a school day. He was looking at her but wasn’t listening, he was mesmerized by her natural beauty, even at night. He felt even more intoxicated. 

“What if my parents wake-”

Simon’s lips pressed against hers, silencing her. He cupped her face and pulled her even closer, deepening the kiss. Her arms naturally s around his waist as she was lost in the late night kiss. Her mind cleared out, all her senses were focusing on him. He had this effect on her every time he was near. She could only see, hear and feel him. Nothing else. Simon pulled away, resting his forehead against hers, brushing their noses together. 

“Don’t talk, they might hear us.” he mocked.

“You’re so annoying.” she huffed and buried her face under his chin. 

“Yet you love me.” he smirked.

“Mind-blowingly.” 

“Let me sleep here with you tonight, yeah?”

“You’re crazy!” she pushed him away. “My par-” He didn’t let her finish the sentence, he kissed her again. “Okay, you need to stop doing that!” 

“I promise I leave at six in the morning before they wake up.”

It wasn’t worth fighting against him. “Sometimes I regret confessing my love for you.”

“Every damn day I thank God you were braver than me.” he said while walking to her bed. 

He sat down, kicked off his shoes then gazed at Hyemi with puppy eyes and that idiot grin. She stared at him in disbelief, hands crossed. Simon patted the space beside him, flashing his toothy grin. Hyemi gave up. She heaved a sigh and snuggled beside Simon.

 

“I brought you water.” Jaehyun leaned against the wall, beside her. He opened the bottle and gave it to her. 

“Thank you.” she said softly and had a few gulps. “I don’t like being drunk. It makes me mad.” she mumbled. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter