nine

After him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Communication is the key.” Hyemi mumbled to herself as they reached their building.

“Hm?” Johnny tilted his head towards her. “What did you say?”

“Nothing.” she replied and fished out her phone from the pocket of her jacket. “I’m craving ramen. I’ll go buy some in the convenience store, okay?” 

“It’s almost 2 in the ing morning, Hyemi.” Johnny deadpanned. 

“Also, we have a few packs at home.” Haechan added.

“I’m craving the one we don’t have. I’ll be back in a few minutes, you just go home and sleep or whatever.” she ushered them towards the door then turned tail and ran down the street, leaving the baffled boys behind. 

Communication is the key, she repeated over and over again in her head while she was running. She didn’t know where she was running to, she just wanted to distance herself from their house. Not like Haechan and Johnny could hear her, but it b her confidence. She stopped after a few minutes and gasped for air. It was already late so she couldn’t run to Jaehyun’s house. She prayed that at least he would answer his phone. She had to talk to him before it was too late. She dialed his number and pressed her phone to her ear, heart pounding in her chest like it wanted to break out. He didn’t answer. She waited for the line to cut off after a woman’s voice said that the number she’d dialed couldn’t accept the call. She groaned in frustration and dialed him again. After a few rings it seemed like Jaehyun gave in and answered, but he didn’t say a word.

“Jaehyun?” she called his name. He merely hummed in response. Her heart was about to jump out of her chest and her palms were sweaty. “Jaehyun I…” she started but paused immediately. He didn’t hang up, he was patiently waiting until she gathered her thoughts. “I didn’t think you were a boy. I don’t think you are.” she rambled. “I think… I think you’re amazing. I’m sorry if I offended you, I didn’t mean to. I was just startled. I’m sorry.” she let out a sigh and waited for his response. After a few seconds of silence, she whispered softly. “Did you hang up?”

“No.” he finally spoke. “I don’t want you to think bad stuff about me.” 

“I don’t. I’m just stupid.” she groaned and leaned against a wall. 

“You’re not stupid Hyemi.” he said then paused for a moment. “I’m sorry I left. It’s just… Everywhere I go people have these crazy expectations about me and when I don’t reach them they’re disappointed. Everyone thinks I date many girls, and party twenty-four seven but in fact, I prefer other activities. I like sports, music, taking photos and I like spending time in nature. That’s who I am and I’d thought you didn’t judge the book by its cover, and you’d already known this.”

“You’re absolutely right. I was a jerk, I’m sorry.” 

She was ashamed. Jaehyun was definitely right. She shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions. She didn’t even know why she’d said those things. Clearly, he hadn’t enjoyed Suji’s performance. He hadn’t smiled, hadn’t touched her and he was as stiff as a board. 

“I’m glad you called.” he murmured.

A smile slowly crept on her face. “I didn’t want you to be mad at me. We’re friends after all.”

Jaehyun let out a small sigh then chuckled. “Yes, we are.”

“We good?”

“Yes. Now go to sleep, it’s pretty late.”

“Yeah, I have to walk back home.”

“What? Where are you? Where are the others?” 

She could hear him sitting up in his bed. 

“It’s okay, I’ve just run a few blocks.”

“Why the heck you’ve run at two in the morning?” he chided.

“I needed fresh air.”

“Spending hours at Han River, wasn’t fresh enough for you I guess.” he deadpanned and she cracked a smile. 

“Good night Jeffrey. See you at class.”

“You’re calling me Jeffrey too? Seriously… Anyway, message me when you reached home, okay?”

“Okay, okay.” 

She hung up and pocketed her phone. The walk back to her apartment wasn’t that long, it only took her like six or seven minutes to reach the building. When she opened the front door both Johnny and Haechan were curled up on the couch. They might have been waiting for her but fell asleep in the process. She closed the door quietly and took off her shoes. Haechan however, woke up to the sound and greeted her. 

“Did you buy your ramen?” he asked in a hoarse voice.

“They ran out. Go back to sleep.” she told him and he obliged, snuggling under the blanket that was thrown at him lazily. 

 

 

 

 

When people think Lee Haechan would run out of ideas, he always comes up with the most unexpected one. That’s how he organized a trot-noraebang themed party 2 weeks after the retro party. When he’d first shared his idea, Hyemi thought it was completely stupid, and there was no way people would come and enjoy themselves since trot music is known for its simple, repetitive rhythms and is popular among the elder generation.  

Looking around the venue as everyone was dressed in colorful sequin dresses and suits, with stupid wigs, hats, giant sunglasses and tambourines in their hands as they were dancing to the old-school rhythmic music, she admitted that Haechan was right again. He managed to set up karaoke rooms in the ground floor, where 3 to 6 people could hang out and sing their souls out, while at the main dancefloor they could dance and have fun. 

The room was overly flashy with disco lights, led signs and old school decorations. At the corner there was a glittery backdrop with a few items like hats, sunglasses, moustaches and other equipment so people could take funny photos. Songs of famous trot singers like Park Sang Chul, Hong Jin Young, Park Hyun Bin, Maijin and KangJin were blasting from the speakers, college students screaming the lyrics to most of the songs. Even the menu consisted rather traditional food. Everyone was drinking soju, magkeolli and beer and for food there were spicy tteokbokki, fishcake, kimbap, gamja hot dog and in the kitchen there were tons of ramen packs so they could even cook ramen.

Haechan was having the time of his life. He danced around Hyemi as he was singing along with Park Hyun Bin’s song, Shabang shabang, with a tambourine in hand.

“Her face is V-lineeee.” he sang as he caressed Hyemi’s face. “Her body is S-lineee.” he made a wave in the air as Hyemi rolled her eyes laughing. “Just kill meeeee!” he shouted, harmonizing with the original singer. 

He grabbed Hyemi’s hand and made her turn around a few times then pulled her closer and danced with her. When the song ended he bowed and thanked Hyemi the dance, targeting his next victim. Nari tried to hide behind Johnny but Haechan followed her, shaking his chest as he yelled.

“Park Nari! You’re next!”

“No way!” she ran around Johnny as Haechan trailed after her. 

Johnny was lowkey enjoying himself as he shook a tambourine in his hands, with a giant sunglass on his eyes and a black, curly wig on his head. He swayed to the music and quietly sang along. Jaehyun approached Hyemi and put a pink feather boa around her neck. Soon the dance music was changed to something slower and Jaehyun offered his hand to Hyemi. She smiled at him and took his hand, Jaehyun pulling her closer to his body. He placed one of his hand on her waist, the other holding her hand. He interlaced their fingers and they swayed side to side to the rhythm. Hyemi peeked at Jaehyun and a warm feeling rushed through her body as he gazed down at her, smiling. 

Thankfully, their little misunderstanding hadn’t made things awkward between them, and the next day they had been texting and talking like any other day. 

He twirled her a few times then asked if she was ready for the finale. Hyemi’s eyes widened when his grip tightened around her hand and waist as he leaned her back.

“You’re just as crazy as Haechan.” she giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I love this party.” he exclaimed. “It reminds me of when I was younger and made kimchi with my grandma. We would listen to trot music and dance around the house, and after we finished making the kimchi she would give me an ice cream.” he reminisced and turned Hyemi around again.

“That’s a lovely memory.” she agreed and smiled back at him.

“You look beautiful tonight.” he complimented and she turned her face to hide her blush.

“Thank you, you look good too. I love the pink sequin jacket. Matches your hair.” 

As they were swaying to the music Hyemi closed her eyes and cleared her mind, focusing only on Jaehyun. She could smell his cologne, it was nice. She didn’t remember the last time she felt this calm and secure in someone’s arms. In fact, beside her friends and Simon, she didn’t feel this way with anyone. She didn’t want to let him go, but the song ended and she felt Jaehyun caressing her back as he let out a great sigh. They pulled away and were lost in each other’s gaze. 

“Okay guys!” Haechan exclaimed. “It’s time!” he announced and ran to the small stage that was established at the end of the room where the Dj setup was. 

The man behind the mixing console throw the microphone to Haechan. He casually caught it and also grabbed a light blue feather boa and put it around his neck. The music was turned down and Haechan greeted everyone. 

“Hello everybody this is Lee Haechan, your one and only amazing host. Are you having fun tonight?” he asked and everyone cheered. “It’s time to shine even brighter as we already do in our flashy outfits. It’s time for the fantastic karaoke contest! Those who want to stand on stage please go to the right and tell Shotaro, the adorable freshman in green, your name and the song you want to perform. Let me start this amazing and extravagant karaoke competition!” he shouted and everyone went crazy hearing that. 

People flooded the dance floor. Johnny also made a beeline to Shotaro, Jaehyun flashing a questioning look towards Hyemi. She chuckled and told him that Johnny loved One sided love by Park Sang Chul and he always sings it when he cooks. Sometimes they even have karaoke nights with Haechan at home.

“Cha chara chara chara cha cha chan!” Haechan started singing in a sharp voice and everyone chanted with him. 

He swayed to the music and acted as a professional singer, with his moves and facial expressions. His voice rang from the speakers as people were dancing and shouting happily. Jaehyun stood there, mouth hanging as he looked at Hyemi in disbelief.

“I didn’t know he has such good voice.” he leaned closer to Hyemi and spoke loud enough for her to hear him. “I mean I’ve heard him sing before but he was just joking around.”

She nodded. “Yes, he has a good and stable voice. I especially love when he sings ballads to Johnny.” she chuckled. 

They enjoyed Haechan’s performance and gave him a big hand then it was Johnny’s turn. He stood on stage, back facing the audience as he put one arm up in the air and grabbed the microphone with the other. He told the DJ to start the music then began shaking his . He turned around when he had to sing his first line and stepped side to side to the rhythm. It was a song that screamed heartache, in a funny way, and he mimicked that feeling with his furrowed eyebrows and shaky voice. He wasn’t as clear as Haechan since his point was to make it funny, also it was a rather hard song to sing. Nonetheless people sang along with him and the girls reached out their arms at the first row for him to high five them. 

Hyemi and Nari shared a knowing look as they were swinging to the music. Jaehyun shook his head, chuckling. He was amazed how brave Johnny was to stand on stage, and his confidence radiated. When the chorus part came, the three of them danced in a small circle, shouting the lyrics together with an expression that showcased how painful love was. Johnny ended his performance on his knees, gasping for air. He dropped the mic, stood up and bowed, his audience cheering and clapping for him. When he went back to his friends, all three patted his shoulder, telling him he was amazing.

While people were singing, one after the other, the four of them joined Hendery and Yangyang in a karaoke room, doing their own little concert. Then Nari dragged Hyemi along with her to the backdrop where Eunbi and Jisoo were waiting for them to take photos. If Hyemi had to be honest, she enjoyed herself and she had to admit that this was her favorite party Haechan has thrown. It was refreshing to see the people in their twenties enjoying the songs their parents and grandparents used to sing and it was amazing how everyone could sing along. After they took pictures, Nari went with the girls to have shots while Hyemi made her way back to Jaehyun, who was talking with a few guys. 

“You’re having fun?” he turned to her immediately, ignoring the males beside him.

She nodded and said hi to the small group when Johnny joined them so the three of them headed to the dance floor again. 

 

 

“Hey!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter