Insulted

An Emperor’s Heartache

Three weeks later,

Chanyeol sits atop his gilded throne watching as his most trusted advisors scream at each other, completely stunned into silence. He  has never felt such fury as he surveys the fallout of such a callous idea, he just cannot comprehend what his council has suggested. Well he can as he zeros in on the smug looking men too his left, standing behind the  most extreme of his councillors  the one who suggested such outrageousness. Chanyeol tries to remain calm and keep his face as neutral as possible, he cannot give away how seething in anger he is. Ensuring his face remains a picture of indifference on the outside, inside however he is screaming! He knows he is close to loosing his temper, he can feel that potent red mist building behind his eyes  the rage filling deep in his veins. His always strong hands are curled so tightly around an a rare ornate ivory and peacock feather fan it starts to crack. Chanyeol closes his eyes briefly in a desperate attempt to control the fire in his veins. It's all futile, all he can feel is his soul desperately screaming out  how wrong this is, and how good certain heads would look above blunt poles. 

 

Only last week he and his beautiful and truly glowing little dove, announced to the council that they are expecting the next crown prince or princess! Chanyeol had never been moor proud of his delicate husband, he was so nervous yet so glorious in his white silk robes made from silk imported all the way from Rome. Chanyeol smiles as he remembers, how his little dove had for the first time stood proudly beside him. Beakhyun was so regal and so statuesque, a far cry from his usual timidness when in the presence of councillors as Chanyeol announced their news. Chanyeol could even see the excitement in Baekhyun when the majority of his trusted council,  who were congratulatory and suggested a festival to celebrate. A celebration both to announce the impending arrival and celebrate the plentiful harvest at the same time.  However instead of planning the festivities today, those who bore sour faces at the news of this most precious gift,  have instead used Baekhyun's unique gift to instead suggest such audacity, they have put forth a request for a  the most insulting of new rulings. One that would effectively destroy his marriage, as some are advising a archaic rule that any offspring born to a male carrier is not a blessing from the gods,  that's not all they also want to decree any male carrier born child an abomination, one  who should not inherit the throne!

 

Chanyeol has never felt so crestfallen and insulted, he finally opens his eyes and watches the scene of chaos before him with a broken heart. He has always valued the vast knowledge and experience of these men, and now a select few want to degrade and humiliate the most important person in his life, no he will not have it! He takes a deep breath about to demand this pure outrageous idea be quashed, when he notices one of his highest ranking councillors Wang Sunil. He's always been scheming letch, always opposing any idea that should make the kingdom more prosperous. Always wanting to higher taxes, ration rice sacks, and bring back slavery! Chanyeol has never liked Sunil, even before his father died Sunil had been a vicious jealous man even back then and has always hated him. Chanyeol knows it's most probably because Sunil would of been Emperor had Chanyeol not been born. Sunil's Mother was a first cousin of his father, and was the only remaining family of his father that is untill she died given birth to Sungil. Chanyeol  discreetly notices how Sunil still retains that cold facade, his hard obsidian eyes have always carried such animosity. He watches as Sunil as he stands amongst the disarray how he stands with a sinister smile on cold face, one that sends bleak chills down his spine and his heartbeat to spike!

 

Chnayeol in much needed oxygen as the memory of a cloaked figure flashes briefly before him, could it be  that Sungil is the key to the attempted poison on Baekhyun! It would explain how whoever it was, was able to access the store cupboards, Chanyeol remembers how it was Sunil who has been spearheading the requests for concubines, and was the one who's  callousness left Baekhyun  cowering away from daily court meetings. Chanyeol can feel the lava in his veins erupt like lava, he discreetly turns his head  to get the attention of Sehun. He finds Sehun the man he trusts above all others, standing with a defensive pose, hand wound tightly on the hilt of his long sword. Chanyeol hasn't missed how his personal guards stance screams fury and how he is coiled tight like a cobra ready to strike!

 

Chanyeol can understand his veins are filled with potent boiling lava, he yearns to wipe the look of  smugness off Sunil's face. It would certainly make him feel better as the continuous screams both for and against this argument don't seem to be quitting and are giving him an intense head ache. No he has had enough of this blatant disrespect of the Queen, he will not let Baekhyun be slandered like this, it's time to make his advisors realise just how infuriated he is!  Rising like the phoenix on his crest and banner behind him, Chanyeol descends from his throne he stares down the left side of the room, where most have been in favour of Sunil. It's the first satisfaction he feels when the odd two or three advisors, in support of Sunil start to recoil and waver in their original smugness, just as they should. "I have always respected the views of this council and have always believed that as caretakers of our kingdom we have always acted for the best. I have never once used my position as the supreme ruler of this nation for my own personal gain." Chanyeol walks to the middle of the the vast ornate throne room when he hears Sunil attempt to speak "Your Majesty" "Silence, I know you have never favoured the fact that I love a younger man, one that holds  such a special gift, Sunil I know this is all to try and push me to take a more traditional concubine, it will never happen and know this Sunil for as long as I am Emperor, Baekhyun will always be my choice!"

 

Nothing else is said as the doors the throne room are slammed open, which causes Chanyeol to frown. All the staff in the palace know not to disturb him when council is in session, he really isn't in the mood to deal with eunuchs or handmaidens today! About to reprimand the poor soul who not only interrupted, but all colour drains from his face when Suho barges past the eunuchs advising court is in session. The look on Suho's face causes the fury currently burning through his veins to turns ice cold.  Chanyeol knows whatever the captain has to say will not be good. "Your majesty please forgive the intrusion, the queen insists on your presence," Chanyeol eyes widen when he sees a flash of desperation in Suho;'s eyes before they return to their usual calmness. "Well I'm sure whatever flower tea the Queen insists the Emperor tries, can wait until our session is over."

 

Chanyeol whirls on Sunil feeling a spark of satisfaction when the smirk he is wearing falls off his face, standing to his full height and using his most menacing tone, "I shall make that easier then councillor Wang, this session is over you are all dismissed."  He has never been more thankful to Sehun and to Suho who have advanced to stand behind him in silent support of their Emperors demand yet remain silence as not give Sunil a change to eavesdrop.

 

Chanyeol watches as all the advisors including Sunil file out the throne room  quickly, he waits as the seconds drag on before the eunuchs shut the heavy golden doors. Chanyeol turns to find Suho with a strange look in his eyes, that strange look and the way Suho seems to fidget in unnatural unease  causes Chanyeol's heart to bear erratically, "Your majesty,  the handmaidens found his highness in the store cupboard" Chanyeol can see how Suho is struggling, he waits as Suho calms himself and looks him in the eye. What Suho says causes him debilitating panic, and a unfamiliar searing awful pain unlike anything he has ever known. "I beg forgiveness your majesty, his highness was found unconscious with blood on his robes!" 

 

To be continued......