A Sky Full of Stars

An Emperor’s Heartache

Chanyeol pushes his horse faster through the ever darkening night, the rich golden haze of sunset has long since set. Leaving just a blanket of darkness and boy even the moonlight in the sky. He ignores the omen that is the lack of start light, all he can feel is his heart thumping in his ears. The nausea of regret at leaving his precious dove eats away at his stomach like acid, as he continues to chase that thick plume of smoke erupting through the trees that surround the palace. 

 

That smoke cloud can only be coming from one place, potent rage at being out smarted fuels his need to go faster  as he clicks his heels in to the flank of his strongest and faster horse.  He pushes  against him again urging the beast to canter harder along the ancient pathway to his home. His heart finally shattering when he finally reaches the palace and  sees the total devastation of one of the main palace gates. His eyes concentrate on the rubble of what were once majestic gates, it hurts his heart to see the damage to the gates that have stood tall and majestic on these grounds for a 1000 years. The once gleaming golden Phoenixes painted on them are long gone and the oak of the gates nothing but splinters and dust across the ground. Ground beyond the gates covered with still burning pools of tar and littered with bloody corpses! Anger courses through him, some of these men once  stood beside his own men  in battles for the greater good. 

 

He can hear  muffled orders behind him, he knows it's Sehun ordering the guards in to action both to sort the bodies to find those of the palace guards and the traitors. Commanding them to ensure their Emperor's life is protected, and that he is not left alone. It pains Chanyeol that he can't focus on finding any wounded royal guards and offer aid. All he can focus on is the weirdly calm and alone atmosphere of the normally busy Palace. He preys Suho has managed to get all those unable to assist in the fight against the rebels are in deed safe in the caves under the barracks.

 

Chanyeol is amazed as he looks around, the Palace may seem hardly damaged, but it would be foolish to think a fight has not happened! Pride fills him as its clear from the broken weapons and spilled blood, that his men have though with all their strength to protect these ancient halls of power. The smell of burning oil to the west catches his attention, it's then that his whole soul heartbreakingly drops out of his stomach. The thick smog of smoke is coming from the one place he would of sold his soul for it not to be, it's the Queen's Palace. Ignoring Sehun's earlier warnings to remain close by, he pelts off his horse and rushes as fast as can towards the billowing cloud. He races passed the terracotta hannocks that house his throne, office and council rooms. Across the paths he has travelled all his life, some in great joy others in sorrow. For the very first time in his life he fears what he will find the other side of gates to the Queens Palace. 

 

A sudden pull to his leather plate instantly stalls him, but only serves to anger him as rounds upon the person daring to stop him.

 

"My lord, as the General of your guard I implore you to keep your head. Something is not right, I fear what will be behind theses gates."

 

"My pregnant Queen could be behind these gates Sehun."

 

"I know my lord, but I also know you! Your desire to protect him will overshadow your self preservation. I do not like  this any more then you do, we know Sunil's target has always been Baekhyun and your miracle. You must remain level headed as we do not know what is behind the gates."

 

"If your suggesting that I wait in the throne room to protect myself, above the very reason I breathe you are very sorely mistaken!"

 

Chanyeol waits as Sehun steps closer to him, the fury, hatred, fear and pain swirling within him burns his skin like a red hot poker! Yet the mirrored anguish he finds in  his closet friends eyes, doesn't comfort him. He knows  Sehun is right, just like he knows his precious dove. Beakhyun would never forgive him, if he placed his life above those that have served him, those that have fought and died for him. He places his hands on Sehun's shoulder to show that he understands exactly what he means. As much as it pains him, and clearly pains his friend right now he is right, this is the only situation where he must be the Emperor first, and husband and soon to be father second.

 

"Sunil will pay for the lives he has taken, I swear it!"

 

"Pay he shall, but not by being granted death! Sunil's fate will be to live knowing he failed."

 

"Is that wise Chanyeol!"

 

"It was Baekhyun who inspired me to keep him alive, Sunil called my dove and miracles abominations. It was his hatred that caused that devastating loss to my husband and innocent child whom we will now  never meet. What better punishment would there be other then to keep him alive, knowing that one of my sons will live."

 

Nothing more is able to said between them, as a deathly silence envelopes the palace. So silent it's hard to miss  the sound of a sword dropping to the floor, it's a sound that has the dozen or so men behind him instantly surround him in a circle. Their silver swords drawn at angle over his head, all in an effort to protect his life. None of that matters when he hears a triumphant roar of cheers, before he hears Sunil's sinister voice speak words that bring him to his knees.

 

"I have your Queen unconscious at my feet Your Majesty, your captain has surrendered his sword to me. It is time for you to come to your senses and dispose of your weak link!"

 

"Chanyeol he is goading you!" 

 

Chanyeol knows Sehun is beside him, the truth is he just doesn't care if Sunil is trying to goad him. Right now there's a potent mixture of emotions coursing through his veins, as he fists the earth beneath him. In the  dearest recess of his heart he knows he would give up his throne, this palace and his kingdom to save Baekhyun. He will gladly stay on his knees and beg for not even a scratch across any centimetre of Baekhyun's translucent skin. 

 

"You are our Emperor, we stand beside you not because of the oath we swore too, but because we believe in you. We believe in your vision for peace, and prosperity, this kingdom has come some far all under your direction. Each man here fights for the life the Queen carries not because it is their duty, it's an honour. We believe in the miracle he carries, your baby is the guarantee that this peaceful and prosperous time will continue. Your miracle is the Future Chanyeol, don't let Sunil win, Baekhyun will need you too now more then ever!"

 

Chanyeol turns to his General, no he is more then just a general to him, he is his brother, a friend and a confidant! Sehun has always had his back, and knows when he needs a pep talk. Chanyeol looks in to the eyes of the man squatting in front of him, his eyes show a myriad of emotions he positive match his own, he is right he is an emperor one who is stronger then this one single threat. Sehun is right Sunil's evilness has no place in this kingdom. Sehun's hurried whispered words have helped clear the desolate fog that threatens to choke him. He knows what he has to do, he will make his husband proud and will refuse to give in. No one knows this place like he does, as he finally finds the strength to stand. An idea already forming in his mind.

 

"I do not like to be kept waiting Your Majesty!"

 

Chanyeol finds strength in the fact that he is y the only one to snarl at that statement, it's time to act and fast. He turns to Sehun and places a hand on his shoulder, his plan should this work will cut the head of the snake as it were. It will be the domino to stop the rebels, who will not fight without their leader.

 

"Sehun you remember when we were young, and we played hide and seek from out mother's. How we used to hide in the abandoned temple hidden in the trees?"

 

"Yes the pathway is not far from here, you told Suho to take the Queen there if anything happened."

 

"I don't think they made it to the temple, but that's not why I ask you. There is one more pathway as the fertility temple, this temple and the abandoned temple used to be one complex, there is a hidden passage that links the temples together, take two men-"

 

"To use that path, and ambush the traitor,"

 

"Yes just don't kill him! I want him to bleed though"

 

"Then bleed he shall!" 

 

Chanyeol watches with pride as all the personal guards with him, stand a bit straighter and clearly itch to be picked. Sehun makes short work of his choice, coincidentally making the same mental choice he would. Two experienced and strong guards often left in Charge of Baekhyun's safety when Chanyeol requires both his Captain and General! No more words are spoken between him and  the trio all he can do is watch as the three men turn and rush toward the hidden path he intended his precious dove to take. Now all he has to do is stay calm and not react to what ever horror his darling Baekhyun has been subjected too. Taking a deep cleansing breath he walks out of his circle of protection, aware the men behind will never be more then five steps behind him. Before he takes the last step towards the yellow and gold oak gates that have only been closed to him once in his life time. He gently prays towards the heaven that his strength won't leave him at what he sees behind them, before finally pushing them open.

 

He steps across the fresh hold, and what he sees will haunt his nightmares for years to come. It's not the end of a battlefield he expected, but no less painful to stand amongst. He deliberately doesn't look towards the base of the temple, it takes every ounce of his strength not run towards his husband, his whole heart and soul! His body, heart and soul scream in protest at his focused iron clad control. He can feel that control slipping, just like his might presence is falling, pure fury filling his body like quicksand as he spots the bloodshed littering the earth he can see between the men Sunil has left. 

 

A small handful of those rebels have his Captain and 20 other royal guards on their knees just to the right of him. His other longtime friend's face of anguish mirrors his own, there's a look of devastation in his eyes. Chanyeol has stood beside this man just like Sehun in many fights, but has never seen him look like this! Blood dripping from his hairline, his shoulder is bare of armour and cloth, and a clear 2 centimetre knick from a sword is visible. Chanyeol suddenly realises why this scene disturbs him so much, Suho's partner Yixing is nowhere in sight! Yixing wouldn't voluntarily leave his partner or his favourite member of the royal family alone. 

 

No longe able to withstand this inner turmoil between himself and Suho, he finally raises his head to the direction of the marble entrance to the Temple of Fertility. That build up of unwavering strength is quickly slipping away, he has to lock his knees in place to prevent himself from lunging toward his clearly unconscious husband. A choke leaves his throat at what this could mean, surely Yixing hasn't done the unthinkable. He can't think about that as he scans his husbands petite form for clues as to what has happened! Cursing himself for ever leaving in the fist place, and for being too far away to get a clear picture of his husband's beautiful face. Most of his precious dove is covered in a thick and filthy burlap, something he would never even consider using as a covering over that sensitive and delicate skin. Chanyeol can feel his nostrils flaring at the clear disheveled state of his husband, the resolve he had to keep Sunil alive to suffer quickly slipping. His heartbeat speeding up when he notices just how almost deathly pale those tiny hands are.

 

A roar of anguish unleashes from within, as he notices the one main crucial difference between now and the last time he saw his precious dove. Baekhyun's stomach is considerably less swollen, he would of missed it entirely if not for the blood splatter on the yellow sleeve resting against that disgusting burlap. Agony and crippling fear unlike anything he has ever felt rips through his chest like a meteor! The burn in his chest makes it hard to breathe! He can feel his eyes darting around the temple, his breathing fast become a panic attack, when he doesn't see or hear his infant son anywhere! Desperate to find his son, and check what else his so innocent and pure husband has suffered he surges forward only to be stop by 5 rebels daring to hold their swords up to his chest! Chanyeol instantly spots the shake of those hands as the sound of several swords being unsheathed at his back. It would appear to him Sunil's men are afraid and they should be very afraid! 

 

"It would seem that someone has already taken care of the abomination, and left your Queen to die" 

 

Chanyeol finally gets a good look at the man that has been a close member of his family, and a prince in his own right had he chosen to follow the path set for him. Even now it's clear he has no respect, he's using an ancient lacquered dragon bench used for offerings as a seat, he even dares to have a cloak made of the colours used for the royal standard wrapped around his shoulders. It's taking all his night to remain dignified, and calm when all he wants it's too so is  rip Sunil's throat out, keeping him alive be dammed. He takes another desperate look at his husband, he can see now that his chest is rising, but the way Baekhyun's chest is rising is not a steady pattern, he is not a physician but can tell his precious dove needs medical assistance and fast! Further igniting his pain and confuses on how could one of his most trusted advisors do this, and how did he miss it!

 

"My lord it is not what you think, you know Yixing he wouldn't do anything to harm the Queen or your unborn child."

 

Chanyeol whirls on his captain snarling, he would try and do any thing to save his lover too if the roles were reversed. Yet one look into his Captains eyes and the clear pleading he sees, has him tilting his head slightly there is clearly more to this then what he sees before him. Suho whispered begs of please are enough for him to believe there is so much more going on. Yixing alerted him to the poison, plus has had ample chances to strike when alone with the Queen. He should trust what his captain says and believe in the trust he has always had for Yixing. Closing is eyes for just a second the rapidly beating heart he feels trying to break out his chest calms slightly, when he realises Yixing is the one currently protecting his heir. Once Sehun returns and this vile creature is in chains, he will send out a search party. Yixing will not be far! 

 

"Suho is right, I even tried to get what ever it is your personal court is hiding out of the handmaiden left with your husband. Sadly she was not very forthcoming, don't worry I executed her for you!"

 

Chanyeol turns to where Sunil is pointing, there behind a bunch of rebels lies Baekhyun's most trusted handmaiden lying in a pool of her own blood and so obviously long dead.

 

"I figured she was loyal to the traitor in your mists, I shall congratulate him on his success once I am finished here. I should end the suffering of our nation, it's not natural for a man to bare children even if it's a gift of the gods!"

 

"I swear Sunil if you so much as touch him, you will know a pain worse then death!"

 

Chanyeol wills his aura and his eyes to pulse with just how serious he is about his threat! His mind already swimming with how gruesome ideas on how to make Sunil's life a misery! For a brief second he watches as Sunil's seems entranced with his his words abs posture. It's like time has stopped, as ever so slowly Sunil comes to his senses and an evil saccharine smile appears on his face. Silence envelopes the temple as Chanyeol watches Sunil lift a gilded dagger above his head, clearly aiming for the chest of his unconscious precious dove's chest. It makes Chanyeol roar in anguish and grab a sword from one of the men beside him, quickly slicing open the chest of the rebel foolish enough to advance against him! A red hot fire explodes in his chest, and strength he has only experienced once in his life the last time Baekhyun's life was in danger spreads through his body like hot molten gold.

 

It appears to be the sign Suho was waiting for, as he too releases his own battle cry before jumping to his feet. A second later and just like waves crashing on the shore, Chanyeol watche almost dumbfounded as each of the royal guards on their knees rises up to their feet! All before each one unleashes a hidden dagger and swings in in the air landing across necks of those previously towering over them. All before each one, Suho included stand united with the men already at his back. There's a moment of silence as Chanyeol takes a deep breath the image of his unconscious husband and that gleaming dagger being held above his chest add fuel to the fire within him. He closes his eyes as he lets that fire adrenaline flow through his veins like a drug. 

 

What ever is coursing through his veins must startle the rebels still stood in front of him. Sunil too seems to waver slightly, Chanyeol keeps his hand steady, trusting that his reflexes will be quick enough to fight through the clearly overwhelmed rebels. Some seem to be more diligent abs instantly surround surround Sunil and his still unconscious husband. Making him snarl in fury like an animal when they raise their shields to protect Sunil. 

 

Chanyeol suddenly catches a glimpse of a reflection behind Sunil, it's only brief  before Sehun descends from the temple at Sunil's back. A move not unnoticed by the men surrounding Sunil as they turn but not quick enough to avoid Sehun's sword!  That brief moment of silence waiting for whom ever of the rebels moves first is It's all the sign the rebels need as they start charging in an uncoordinated attack swinging their swords blindly. They are no match for the hardened warriors that make up his personal guard. He catches Sehun's nod and takes it as his queue to inflict damage of his own. He doesn't hear the shouts of 'protect the emperor' as he uses his sword to slice through anything in his path like butter! 

 

Grateful that Sehun and the two guards are making quick work of the insufferable idiots trying to protect Sunil. Sunil who still stands over his husband with that dagger, and that evil sneer! He had left maiming this beast to Sehun but he wants to be the one to deliver the blow that will cause damage but won't kill him. As s his sword in the poor soul in his way. He moves a step intending to deliver that blow and falters when he hears what he thinks is a babies cry. 

 

It's very faint, but he definitely heard something, his heart stops when movement to the side of his vison distracts him. His heart leaping in his chest when he sees his precious dove's face scrunch up in clear pain! He gasps when this time he hears a whimper and a louder baby cry.

He's paralysed with fear when, Sunil's evil sneer once again appears across his crooked face. 

 

"Once I am though with the Queen I will find that abomination and I will gladly rid it  of his li_"

 

Chanyeol watches how the crimson blood from the dagger stick in Sunil's chest blooms like a camellia. How it takes Sunil a moment to realise whist he's been busy spouting his drivel, Chanyeol was moving to grab the closet dagger he could find and hurl it straight into his evil heart. The fighting instantly  stop when they hear a a pain filled scream, and clear dead weight falling to his knees! The sound of blood bubbling just follows the moment those knees hit the earth, Chanyeol suspects Sunil has minutes to live if he's lucky. Wanting this to be as Laing as he can he strides  across the remaining distance and holds his hands around the back of Sunil's neck and  his other hand on the dagger. 

 

"Know this Sunil not whilst I live will you or any of your household bring harm to my family. I promise you nothing of your house will survive to see the morning!Your followers who do not repent will follow you to the deepest pits of hell. The very last thing you will see is that the love I have for my Queen will always win!"

 

Pulling out the dagger will bring a instant death Sunil doesn't deserve, so to prolong his agony Chanyeol pistons the dagger so it slides in and out. The scream Sunil makes is like music to ears, until he hears the soft voice of his husband. Instantly pulling the sword out of Sunil's chest. The sounds of Sehun and Suho barking out orders, completely lost on him as he drowns them out to rush to his delicate husband.

 

"My lord, forgive me." 

 

"Shh my precious dove, there is nothing to forgive."

 

Chanyeol gently gathers his husbands upper body and lifts himself, cursing when he sees the sheen of sweat forming on his brow. He doesn't miss the still Laboured breathing,the clear exhaustion and pale pallor of his husband as gently removes the burlap. Breaking his heart as the whimpers continue, the once swollen with their child stomach is much deflated already. Chanyeol wants to scream where is his baby and burn down to the temple to find him, but dares not leave his husband either. Despite really struggling to understand what has happened ,when once again he hears a baby cry! This time he didn't imagine it as those always beautiful still cloudy with whatever drug eyes widen before tears start falling.

 

"Such small cries, where is he Chanyeol? where is our miracle?"

 

Chanyeol goes to answer, that no stone will be left unturned in the pursuit of their miracles safe return, when a sudden shadow stand above him. The battle weary form

of his exhausted captain stand above him with a soft smile as he stokes Beakhyun's hair back from his forehead.

 

"Your grace, remember what you asked Yixing to do before I left."

 

"I told Yixing if I don't make it, tell the emperor I love him with all my heart, and that I named our son Jisung a gift of the stars. After I asked him to perform a removal that he should me from a scroll! Chanyeol my love he acted on my command."

 

"Shh rest my darling"

 

Chanyeol leans down to grabs a too cold tiny hand, and kisses his loves damp forehead! He feels relieved that he doesn't have to punish one his long time friends. He realises his eyes as he continues to shh his clearly still out of it husband. His eyes he is sure say everything he can't right now. They need to find Yixing and his baby, find a palanquin for his husband so he can't rest comfortably and finally get this mess Sunil has created sorted. Which by the multiple sounds around him is already underway. He can't help but smile when he recalls the name Baekhyun suggested it's perfect. 

 

"Jisung?"

 

"I named him for the stars!"

 

Chanyeol goes to say it's a fitting name for their miracle when a baby's cry, the loudest by far cuts through the chaos of the temple. Chanyeol  can't see aa he has his back to the temple, but all eyes appear to be glued to what's going on behind him he can only watche as both Sehun and Suho, visibly relax as the baby cries suddenly fill the courtyard in surround sound! His precious dove  hears it too and starts to struggle in his hold, the silent tears turning in to sobs when a dark figure finally descends in to their line of sight! Chanyeol is completely frozen as Yixing silently walks forward with a blue silk wrapped  moving bundle in his arms. No words are said as Yixing gently places said blue bundle on Baekhyun's chest. Before Yixing moves his arm to support the baby, a baby that instantly calms down! Unconditional love like no other fills his heart, at the sight of his husband being reunited with their miracle, a miracle sporting a full head of dark hair.

 

Lifting his eyes, he meets the gentle smile on Yizing's  face. Guilt is heavy in his heart, at how he thought this man had deliberately harmed his husband! He will forever be in this mans debt for saving not just his miracles but his husbands life. A husband who still needs medical attention and their baby needs to nurse. 

 

"Sunil created all this drama and hatred for nothing my lord, Baekhyun has survived every attempt of his life and has blessed you with a healthy son!" 

 

A large cheer erupts beside him at the news, this time he is not sure if it is Baekhyun or himself that cries louder. As the cheers of long live the prince ring out under a sky fall of stars!

 

The End!

Hello my lovelies, the final chapter.

What a rollercoaster, I purposely made this appear like Chanyeol was weak for the first half, before finally finding his strength. I thought it added more tension ;)

My biggest thanks to all of you that read this. 

Let me know what you think 

Please forgive any mistakes 

Next up A  Mafia Kings Secret lover & A light in the Dark