Closing In

An Emperor’s Heartache

Six weeks after the execution

Hearing the urgent scuffle of feet outside his private chamber door, Chanyeol winces and instantly turns his head to his sleeping cot and to the finally sleeping body encased in red silk.  He is beyond relieved that his little dove is finally getting the sleep he needs, his precious dove has been restless this evening and since the execution of one Sunil's men. Chanyeol hated how his precious doves nervous disposition returned  ten fold after  that day, how he had once again locked himself in his private sanctuary. All because he was afraid he would fail him again by the possibility he carries a girl and not the male heir the council wants and insists the kingdom needs. The council's draconian ideas angered him to him it doesn't matter the gender of their precious miracle. He took great pleasure in expressing that to the council member and reminded them that it was down to their comments that his precious heart suffered. It took him  two full weeks of comfort and gently whispered words of love to ease that unnecessary panic Baekhyun suffered with. Chanyeol had finally broken through that haze of panic by proclaiming countless times that all he wants is for both his husband and baby be it boy or girl, is to be healthy.  

 

Baekhyun his beautiful dove had thankfully relaxed and glowed with happiness, well until the appearance of dreadful nausea! When he was told by Yixing just how bad the nausea has become again he insisted that Baekhyun stay with him and not his own special sanctuary.  Chanyeol also took the decision to conduct any affairs not relating to council to his chamber so he could keep an eye on his most precious ones. Especially as this nausea even Baekhyun's beloved teas cannot fix, despite his best ability and extra help from Yixing. At the sound of the doors opening Chanyeol has enough time to stretch his neck out and put down the scroll he has been engrossed in down. Just in-time to watches Sehun and two royal guards burst in past his own trusted eunuchs, far to fast thankfully for the eunuchs to announce them.  Chanyeol can see from the dust covered uniforms and determination across Sehun's face that what he has to say is urgent. 

 

Not wanting to disturb his  delicate dove sleeping  on his bed, he advances towards Sehun ushering him in to the adjoining room, allowing the three men into the lounge room he barely uses. Peacock blue cushions top intricately carved benches that line one wall, the other wall houses imported Japanese cabinets of various sizes where all his bedding, clothing and other personal items are stored. The very far end on a raised Dias stands two mannequins, one holding his armour, the second holden his golden enthronement robes.

 

"Have you rested?" "No your grace we came straight to you, Chanyeol this couldn't wait!" "Please tell me it's good news, all these false reports of sightings. I fear it is the reason Baekhyun has been growing more restless these last weeks." Chanyeol hated when every time they sent soldier to aid the scouts they returned with no prisoner or reports of false sightings. To put an end to what he is sure is wild goose chase, he decided to send his top personal guards and Sehun on the chase for Sunil. Leaving the palace short of its highest ranking officer, he is not so concerned for his safety, he has trained with Suho and Sehun since a child and can protect himself. The thought of any harm coming to his pregnant husband entirely different, he would rather die then have harm come to his precious miracles. He is just acutely aware it could be a disaster, should word get out that the palace is with out a regiment of royal guards.

 

 

"We have found Sunil's hideout your grace, he has been hiding at an abandoned temple at the tip of our northern border. We have the temple surrounded your grace!" Relief courses through him that finally the ring man will be finally be bought to justice. "How quick can you arrange for a prison cell Sehun?" "A Prison cell?" Chanyeol can see the confusion across Sehun's face at that request, as much as he wants too, he cannot behead Sunil as death would be the easy way out in his eyes. "I want him to suffer Sehun, I know that look I'm not going soft! I cannot describe how much hatred I hold for one I once considered family! He will pay for his treachery by living and watching as Baekhyun and their miracle live on.

 

"That would indeed be a fate worse than death in his eyes your grace," "that's what I thought now back to my question?" "We have cells here in the barracks, all it would need is a guard stationed there at all times." Chanyeol nods once, grateful that Sehun has understood his plan now he just has to execute and the first thing he will do will personally retrieve Sunil. He turns away from the men in front of him to survey the two mannequins behind him, he had hoped he would never have to use the thick crimson cotton tunic, and hard leather and shoulder plates for any more potential bloodshed.

 

The capture of the man who could destroy his family gives him the strength to wear that uniform once again. Moving closer he runs his hands over the golden phoenixes stitched into the arms of the thick double layered cotton, whilst he is so relieved to finally have the traitor in his grasp. Leaving the palace and his very pregnant husband behind is something he is dreading. When Yixing had reported on Baekhyun's condition and the return of the nausea, he had also explained that his petite husband could birth sooner then expected even with two full moons still to pass. He is thankful  he has few trusted advisors he can turn to, and plans that have long been drawn up should be need to step away from

the palace! "How long Sehun do I need to advise the council about my absence?" "I estimate we shall need 5 days, it is a full days ride to the temple and back, the men I left notice Sunil's personal guard so we should expect some resistance" Chanyeol expects nothing less of Sunil he prayed to the gods that  Yixing and Suho will remain they will keep his precious little dove safe and have orders should anything be amiss or there be delay in the his return they are to take Baekhyun out of the palace and to the barracks they trained in when the were young. 

 

Chanyeol closes his eyes and takes  a deep cleansing breath, he can be separated from his dove for five days, he knows that both of them will rest easier knowing Sunil can no longer manipulate people to do his bidding. With renewed strength over  the fact this whole ordeal will soon be over, he turns around an opens his eyes. His heartbeat and breathing quickening when he spies his husband standing at the entryway! A delicate hand  holding his favourite silk robe together, the other resting on the swell of his stomach where their miracle is being kept warm. "My dove you should be sleeping" "my lord I could no longer sense your presence it's what woke me. I heard your voices forgive me my lord for eavesdropping! I know what you have been discussing, I watched you stare at your armour, do you remember the last time you wore it? 

 

Chanyeol nods his head, of course he remembers the Last time he wore it, it was the day he first met his precious dove the day he rescued him. He watches as Baekhyun steps between Sehun and the two other guards, even as pregnant as he is he moves with such gentle grace. Before he can say anything else Chanyeol feels a soft delicate hand on his cheek. "You are still that warrior, I will be ok. I want you to be the one dragging that man back here in chains!" "Promise me you will send word of even the slightest discomfort, Yixing and Suho will be instructed to never leave your side" "I promise to send word of any serious pains, this is natural my lord woman and those of us gifted to be carriers have been doing this for a millennia! Chanyeol wraps his much larger hand around the smaller one still against his cheek, as he nods in the direction of the door to Sehun. Who thankfully understands  that he and the other two guards until morning, they will figure out the logistics of his departure then. He gently pulls his delicate husband towards the cushioned bench, everything can wait until morning right now he wants to hold his precious dove close and feel their miracle kick against his hand.

 

Hello my lovelies, I hope you like this update just to remind everyone this story wis mostly be in Chanyeol's POV. 

Yes it is a bit of a filler chapter there is a bit of drama coming, have no fear there is a happy ending 

Please do let me know what you think, ❤️❤️