Discovery

An Emperor’s Heartache

I hope you enjoy this, thank you for taking interest ❤️❤️❤️❤️ 

 

Why have you called me here," a councillor looks around the mahogany pillared open corridor, making sure the fire lamps are unlit so the area i: as shrouded in shadows as he is.  That his own staff have made sure staff loyal to the emperor are not within earshot.  His cloaked companion seems almost giddy, "thanks to you, we finally have an opening to place a more suitable consort! If this were to get out, you face treason and a death penalty!" "What do you know and how did you find out?" He watches as his companions eyes take on a sinister glow. "Only that I saw someone of your build, enter the herb store with aconite,  I watched as  that same someone switched Ceylon tea leaves for the poison, I have heard Ceylon tea leaves are a favourite of the Queen when making tea for both himself and the Emperor. He whoever he was, was lucky not to be caught,  as a certain personal guard was also close by, no doubt confirming the Queen was ready for his lesson."

 

Sudden boisterous laughter can be heard in the courtyard, both men who are already wearing dark capes and hoods, pull them lower and shrink as far as they can, against the ornate wood panelling. Both breathe sighs of relief as the laughter can be heard getting further and further away. "As I was saying I bribed one the royal physician's apprentices,  did you know that aconite will most likely  make the consort barren  and  never bare an heir as a result!" The councillor smiles it's the news he has been waiting for, he can now finally counsel the Emperor,  into realising the boy is not suitable to be consort! His condition has never been natural anyway.  

 

With his first phase of his plan executed, the cloaked and hooded figure nods and bows as required to his  more court senior companion, his next plan to implant a more suitable consort will be infinitely easier then poisoning the young consort. Taking one last look out of the courtyard the counsellor waits for his companion to leave, before slinking away himself. Completely unaware that their entire exchange had been witnessed by two men, one who has his hands clenched inti tight fists, shoulders shaking in rage.  The second man, who is head of the royal guard, stands beside his emperor patiently waiting, for he knows this right now is the calm before storm.

 

A couple days ago.

A tall and regal man clothed in rich blues and gold, stands at the entrance way of a hidden private pagoda and courtyard. It's an ornate oasis of calm, something he knows he is in desperate need for. Tired of the day's duties and being constantly at odds with the royal court, he needs just a view of the only thing that can calm his ever present headache. Duties to the crown and kingdom he loves as they are his birth right, its arguing with his advisors that have kept him from his duty of the heart. He sometimes hates the distance caused by being an Emperor, and the traditions that come with it. His advisors are hankering him to take a concubine, despite the unique and special gift his one true queen possesses. Chanyeol hates the daily distance he has from his Queen, knowing how his 15 years younger love cowers and shies away from the callousness of court, not wanting his love to feel overwhelmed or afraid of his own home. He hastily arranged for this secret queen's palace that a select few people have access to, as it's hidden within his own personal wing.

 

Chanyeol carefully opens the gold handled oak doors, out of all the areas of his palace, this is his favourite, a turquoise and cream 2 story pagoda is the focal point of this sanctuary, a pleasant spring smell of Sakura and Magnolia fills the air, as he stands slightly hidden behind one of the vast magnolia trees, silently, yet so proudly observing the scene before him. The scene before him is as beautiful as the rising sun and starlit sky. A sense of calmness envelops him as he watches his one true love, who is sat on a cushioned bench under the cherry blossoms and magnolia trees, a scroll of parchment on his lap, as he appears to enthusiastically discuss the contents of said scroll with his tutor. Knowing how his queen is as a curious as a kitten, on everything from calligraphy to medicine he is so happy he arranged for his childhood friend Minseok to become his tutor.  Chanyeol cannot help but smile at being fortunate enough to have the love of his life beside him. Yes it was his mother who suggested the union at first, Baekhyun's mother was her best friend. Who was a princess of a foreign land, His mother told him, how her friend feared for her son, at the very tender age of 17, presented as a male carrier- a rare blessing that only the gods could gift, a gift that legends had it wars were fought over. It was not what either mothers wanted, Chanyeol smiles, his mother always knew their kingdom could shield and protect her friends most precious treasure. Chanyeol had agreed a visit on the condition, he could court the prince, which was agreed. He and his personal guard had planned a visit with the kingdom, the intention of getting to know the Prince and discuss how a marriage union might benefit both kingdoms.

 

That never happened as Chanyeol had arrived just in time! It was pure carnage, a rouge warlord had got wind of Baekhyun being a carrier able to have children and wanted him as his personal slave. Chanyeol can remember that day like it was yesterday. Dead bodies littering the marble stair case, blood on the golden pillars, the metallic tang of fresh blood. Baekhyun's Mother, Chanyeol had sadly found amongst the dead. It was a truly despairing scene, until he raise his eyes to the truly horrifying scene at the top of the Dias in the throne room! Some savage brute was trying to pin the young prince to the ground. Baekhyun's frenzied and agonised screams still ring in his ears. Thankfully he was able to save the most beautiful boy he had ever seen. He remembers how his obsidian eyes locked eyes with   palest aquamarine blue angelic eyes, Baekhyun had even gasped. Chanyeol remembers how his skin prickled with need, and was almost like he was overcome by a powerful force. Chanyeol swears to this day some stronger force was working to his benefit. One minute he was stood locked in horror, the next he had the petite shaking boy secure in his protective embrace, several dead bodies at his feet. 

 

He had then whisked the frightened young man to safety, later Chanyeol had discovered from a distraught Baekhyun that the attack was all down to his father! Who had not accepted his only son's newly discovered gift of being a carrier.  Chanyeol had wanted to take further action, but Baekhyun had pleaded for mercy, and just asked to leave.

 

That was 12 months ago, Chanyeol had bought Baekhyun home to his own kingdom, at first Baekhyun had shied away from him, and despite the clear attraction they had for each other. Chanyeol had done everything to make the much younger man comfortable, after all Baekhyun was 15 years younger than he was, and now living in a foreign court. Chanyeol still prays to the gods for his own patience while Baekhyun adjusts to his new life at his court, some areas he has settled in to more than others, Baekhyun and his ability for creating herbs and teas that assist the sick hasn't gone unnoticed, Baekhyun is a clear favourite with his people.  Chanyeol was thankful that their instant attraction had grown to what they have now, a happily married couple. Yes it was quick, and is still met with resistance by some of the more traditional members of his court!

 

"Sire, a word if you please" Chanyeol lets out a sigh of frustration, he just wants to have a moment out of his day, without his normal entourage to check that the love of his life is happy. He turns and sees that his newest companion is accompanied by two guards, a sense of foreboding taking over his core. Chanyeol takes one more calming look at Beakhyun, his beautiful light and sun. Silky long brown hair, gorgeous clear aquamarine eyes, pale snow-white soft skin, so beautiful contrasting against the deep blue of his day robes.  Not wanting his young partner to panic at seeing the sudden arrival of both of their personal guards. Chanyeol had promised this courtyard would always Baekhyun's sanctuary, and be free of any royal guards save for Suho. Taking a deep breath Chanyeol nods to the three men in front of him, to follow him out of the courtyard.

 

Once outside, he waves off any form of formality from his royal guard, noticing how all three seem to be vibrating with angry auras. Concern mounting as one of the three men, his very own personal physician, is sporting a rather displeased expression. "Yixing, I know you can never sit still, but your aura is pulsing with anger, what has happened now! Is Baekhyun trying to keep his cycle from me again?" 

 

Yixing  wishes that it was just that, he personally finds it cute how the  prince hides away in the hospital, it's not the case this time. He looks to both personal guards Suho and Sehun, each one could be mistaken for royalty! Yes each man sports rich clothing, he knows not to be fooled by their outward appearance. He has seen first hand how each man can become a ruthless fighter,  especially when their charges are threatened. Currently their calm demeanour has been replaced by murderous expressions, neither of them making eye contact with the Emperor, a sure sign they fear his majesty's mighty temper! The physician sighs slightly exasperated that the bad news will be his responsibility, "No Sire, this is graver, someone is attempting to poison your Queen!" 

 

Yixing watches fascinated as it takes mere  nano seconds for Chanyeol's demeanour to change from happy and content, to the imposing ruler he can be. Chanyeol acts  like an angry Phoenix when his love is threatened, his obsidian eyes blazing fire. His barked out command, "tell me everything" makes Yixing jump! He knows it's not in anger at him, it's the situation, and even he struggles with why some people can't accept Baekhyun, yes he is timid, soft and innocent in all ways. He is perfect for Chanyeol, a calming presence in this sea of obligation and rules. The love Baekhyun has for their Emperor will never be matched. Yixing watches as Chanyeol Turns abruptly to  Sehun, the head of his personal guard " Did you see the culprit, Sehun why is he not in chains kneeling before me?"

"Chanyeol I was told this information by Yixing only this hour." Yixing flinches slightly he hasn't known long himself, it was Suho and Sehun who have urged him to reveal his hunch. "I only have a hunch, my lord I found anconite in the herbs Beakhyun was intending to try out in a new tea, whilst we had our lesson on the medicinal value of  açai berries." "Aconite isn't that also known as wolfsbane" "Yes my lord, there is no proof, but it is quite potent, used by some doctors to force a miscarriage and cause infertility. There are only a handful people who can access the herb store." Yixing can see the fury bubbling in Chanyeol, which will explode if he is not appeased soon. Yixing can only prey the Emperor will remain level headed, he can not accuse the council of anything with out due proof. Yixing holds his breath as Sehun steps forward.  "Sire, which advisor has been championing for Baekhyun's royal status to be downgraded the most!"