Jisung, A Gift of The Stars

An Emperor’s Heartache

Just an FYI on this chapter its going to be in Sunil's and Baekhyun's POV!!

 I also recommend you hold on to your seats its going to be quite the emotional ride!! 

Also this  is not medically accurate, it's all fiction I have done some small research some of the items I mention do as I suggested. I researched the name Jisung it does mean love of the stars 

I can't wait to hear what you think, I hope you like it ❤️

 

Eight hours later, Sunil's POV.

Sunil stands hooded and cloaked ,hidden behind the thick branches of bamboo and ancient maple trees. There's a chill creeping to to the air, perfect weather  for what he is about to do, his eyes concentrating on the golden Phoenix painted on the main gates of the palace he once called home.It truly is a magnificent piece of art, one that makes the Phoenix look just like it's raising from a real life fire!  Long ago he adored this place, the gleaming golden throne, the gilded hallways, the feasting for days and all the courtiers both men and women he could handle. That all changed when the boy he used play swords with grew up, and implemented changes to appear more humble to his people. 

 

He never understood why the Emperor insisted on making the council eat a vegetable based diet for a month rather then higher taxes. All because he didn't want his subjects to starve. The crushed diamonds that are infused in the paint of the Phoenix twinkle against the setting burning orange sky do look stunning, he would of rather just had the scum of this country starve then be without meat for month. A small part of his heart hurts to think that come morning every inch of this imposing grandeur will be nothing but scorched earth. The Queen and that abomination he carries nothing but a pile of ashes within it! A sudden rustle to the side of him alerts him, turning slight he finds the captain of his own private army approaching! 

 

"I have been told from one of the maids in the royal kitchen that the remaining twenty of the Emperors personal guard left at first light."

 

Sunil feels his lip curve upwards, his little trick has paid off! He feels almost gleeful at how easy it was to fool  the mighty General that is Oh Sehun, had the good general done his homework he would of know that the temple he and his men were hiding in are some of his biggest supporters! Well their greed is, all he had to do was whisper in to the ear of the head monk that he would provide extra riches like goats for milk, and silks for bedding. If the monks would create poison and leave it where the good Generals men wouldn't be able to miss it once he personally headed back to the palace.

 

"The scouts to the north, have they returned!"

 

"Not yet my lord, if the monks were true to their word the emperor will be walking to a camp filled with dead men! And when the emperor returns after finding that the elite men of his army fell at such a cheap trick, he will beg for our mercy."

 

"No not your mercy, The emperor will beg for mercy at my feet just before I take his crown and kill him."

 

"What of his Queen my lord"

 

"Nothing but ash if our plan works, tell me captain have your spies given you the information I ask you too source?"

 

"Yes, there are only 200 soldiers left at the palace, the captain charged with the Queens protection sweeps the palace grounds just after sunset, he includes the main gates in his sweep, the gates and the private residence are where most of the soldiers are. My men should be able to pick them off one by one easily enough, I trust you know some shortcuts to the Emperors chamber, it's where the captain and the physician have been seen the most. The Queen will surely be there too."

 

Sunil nods its not truly the answer he wants, his personal army double that of the size currently left defending the one thing the Emperor cherishes most in this world. High on adrenaline from knowing he has successfully killed the soldiers that would if caused him the biggest grief, he makes a spilt minute decision, they will not attack like loose cannons, they will be smart all he wants are the men at the gates taken out! The remaining soldiers will be too busy putting out the fires to the main courtyard and the throne room, to notice him and his men continuing on their quest to set fire to the rest of the palace and kill the Queen!

 

"I know exactly where the Queen will be, captain gather the men we strike now."

 

Sunil waits for the disagreement from his captain, that now is not the right time and that they should wait. Instead his chest fills with pride when his captains demeanour changes to that battle hardened man he first met and simply nods before turning on his feet. Leaving him  to gather his senses, he takes a deep breath. He cannot believe that after all his plotting first with the poison, then his semi successful attempt denouncing the queen. That act of denouncing the so called miracle did result in the queen loosing one of the twins he was carrying and his poor man servants head. Instead it was his simple diversion act that has wielded the results he wants! His chance to take the palace is wide open, as the smell of tar and oil fill his nostrils, the sound of bows and arrows stretching to make their first hit. The arousal of war is growing stronger at knowing very soon the palace will be alight the soldiers screaming for their lives, the Queen and his abomination dead. The emperor finally on his knees and that Phoenix crown firmly on his own head!

 

Baekyun POV 

A sudden hard kick against his ribs wakes him on a gasp, disoriented he runs a hand across the taunt skin of his stomach to sooth his rather active miracle. "Shh little one we still have five more days alone." He has to resist the groan when a sensation that can only be described as feeling like a boa constrictor is twisting around and squeezing the muscles in his lower back start again! Just as he feels a second kick to his ribs! This time he is not so successful in suppressing a low groan of pain, Yixing had told him he would start to feel pre labour pains are far way as two full moons from their miracles birth, he however was not prepared for how constant they are! He had know idea they would be this intense either even! Closing his eyes he continues to run a hand over the fullness of his stomach, it's truly a poor match for the warmth his husband's hand provides. It's Chanyeol's hand that always instantly soothes the kicking of their miracle, a sudden warmth fills him when pictures those strong hands cradling their miracle for the very first time.

 

Awake now he wonders how long he managed to to sleep for, there is a noticeably cooler breeze around his ankles. Beakhyun gingerly stand to his feet wincing again when his back twinges in protest. The down side to his lords sleeping quarters is that it is not as open as his own, his own having a very open corridor just before his main chamber. Here though the heavy mahogany slatted window shutters are at the furthest end of the room, away from the raised sleeping cot and dressing area. Thankfully a couple of the slats are open as he finally moves a bit closer to his emperors desk. Baekhyun is surprised to see the sky a deepening Indigo streaked with swirls of burnt oranges. Yixing and Suho Will other let out sighs of relief hat he managed to rest for more then an hour.

 

"Your grace would you like for me to send the chambermaids to prepare a bath?"

 

Baekhyun yelps and almost jumps out of his skin, turning around from where he stood gazing at the sky, to face his body guard and friend. He should reprimand the man for sneaking up on him, he never could stay mad at those bunny eyes and soft smile. Besides a Bath would be heavenly right now and just the medicine to soothe his aching muscles. He nods in the direction of the chief maid, who simply smiles and turns from the room.

 

"Yes I think that would be wise Suho, do you know if there is any of matcha tea I made this morning left?"

 

"Yixing said you would ask about the tea, there is enough to share with the royal guards stationed outside this chamber and at the gates. Yixing advised against you drinking it as you added fennel."

 

"Yes I did as it's good for vitality, I remember my lessons now. Yixing did say it's not so good for those with child as it's potency can cause even more nausea. Please Suho make sure what's left of the tea is distributed and that you and yixing have a cup too."

 

"Of course your grace, I shall accompany you to the bath house, whilst your bathing I will then distribute the tea to the men."

 

"Suho I had the kitchens prepare hot honey moon cakes please make sure each man gets one, and send for Yixing too I wish to check something with him."

 

"Yes you are not so smart as you think, I heard your groans from the outer corridor my grace, perhaps some medicinal herbs in the bath will help. Then I must insist you rest!"

 

"I do hope your right about the herbs Suho, the future Emperor use of my ribs is getting a little to much to handle."

 

Baekhyun takes a sigh of relief when he finally takes a step in to the warm water, their miracle too seems to appreciate the warm water that has been infused with ginseng, ginger, rose hip, and turmeric. What would make this an even better experience would be to have the comfort of his strong warrior king with him, this mother of Pearl etched white marble bath is far too big for just him alone. Next to his own sanctuary it's his favourite part of the palace, there are no council members screaming at each other, a small handful of specially trained attendants who know to keep a low profile but remain close should the lanterns die out. His beloved Suho finally leaving him alone and doing his nightly checks. Yixing pottering in the store cupboard but will no doubt be back in half an hour for more of his fussing. Taking a deep breath his first day apart from his king is drawing to a close, he made it through with out tears too. Proof he can do this and he can make the next four days alone. The councillors will only come to him in life or death matters, well the ones that value his input will the rest he has no doubt will be celebrating the break from the matters of the crowns the closest kiseang run tea house. 

 

Grabbing a sponge he dips it in to the ginkgo and rose oil a special blend to ease the itch of his delicate skin in his stomach. He is about to rub it in when a sudden whistling sound cuts through the silence. He lets out a smile it's nice to know the inhabitants of the palace are also feeling more alive after the last sombre months. Thinking nothing more of it he ever so gently so as not to disturb his finally sleeping miracle he softly sings the same words

 

a sky full of stars, 

a sky full of stars,

I'm going to give you my all!

 

It's the very same words he has caught Chanyeol singing to their miracle  on multiple occasions. He can't help but miss that commanding baritone voice as he rubs that soothing  oil in to his stomach. 

 

"Shall we pay a visit to your sibling in the morning, it's been a few days since we attended the temple of fertility. your sibling must miss us. I know I miss them"

 

The soft fluttering kick is confirmation enough that their miracle agrees with him. He looks upwards towards to the  glass roof of the bath house, the last vestiges of orange have gone to be replaced by an inky deep velvet blue, a smattering of twinkling starts reflect against the glass and the tall bronze lanterns. He truly does hope their miracle will be a true heir by being a boy, he knows Chanyeol his ever loving force of nature has sworn their child boy or girl will be the true heir! It's just the stars have inspired a name he wants Jisung, which mean a love of stars. He thinks it's perfect after hearing Chanyeol's song and it's  exactly how he feels in the presence of the Emperor! Baekhyun wants this name to be the ultimate gift he can give, to both their son and the Emperor a true homage to their great love story! Knowing he's been in the bath long enough, and to avoid succumbing to his emotions. He reaches for his towelling covering, the tension in his shoulders releasing when he doesn't feel that earlier pain in his lower back. Praising  the gods for Yixing and his never ending knowledge of herbs he heads to the dressing room.  Missing the smoke that's rising somewhere close enough to be seen through the glass ceiling.

 

10 minutes later, he stands still as the head chambermaid  attaches his purple amulet, he hears a far off scream, one that's too loud to be the wind and too close to be from the main town. His heart beat spikes when the chamber maids  trembling fingers drop his amulet, he's clearly not been the only one to hear that. It's all before he hears a shout and more of that whistling clearly something is a miss. Baekhyun almost screams in agony when he feels a white hot pain erupt low in his stomach, and burning fire at the top of his thighs. He can't even thank the chamber maid who rushes forward so he can lean on her for support whilst his miracle ferociously kicks his stomach.

 

 The intense burning pain in his lower back and stomach make him pant like an exhausted puppy. He can feel himself shake, this is not just pre labour pains. The sudden sound of running feet and and swords being unsheathed, fills the growing pained filled fog engulfing in. It take all's his might to watch the cheshnut doors slam apart as Suho, Yixing and 5 guards surround him. He can see Suho and Yixing talking to the chambermaid he still clings too, when another shooting sharp ripple of pain has him groaning. He is being stretched apart, as soon as it happens it's stops, taking a deep gasping breath he's soon lucid enough to hear the very words that almost crumples his spirit.

 

"The Palace is on fire and under attack!''

 

Baekhyun doesn't want to believe what the man in front of him is saying, its only as the unmistakable smell of tar and oil that isn't perfume starts to fill the air around them does he realise its true.

 

"Your Grace, it's Sunil he has ambushed us."

 

"What of the emperor is he safe, has anyone returned?"

 

The sudden deafening silence is all the answer he needs, no one has returned. Baekhyun can feel a tear slide down his face, this is all wrong. Chanyeol should be here beside him, he should never of let the Emperor leave. Pushing aside the mounting grief and lingering pain within, he turns to face his closets companions.  He will be worthy of his title, he will  choose to believe Chanyeol is coming back to them, for now he will act to keep as many innocent lives safe!

 

"Suho how many men does Sunil have?"

 

"We are out numbered two to one, i have sent the younger palace guards to protect the attendants that can not fight and any wounded, they have ben told to barricade them selves inside. I'm sorry Your Grace the main gates have fallen! The remaining men are trying to divert Sunil  attention."

 

No longer able to bare the pain coursing through him, Baekyun slumps to the ground, he almost fells like the world is in slow motion as he watches Yixing race forward. A cool hand on his pulse and stomach. The way Yixing's eyes instantly widen confirm his worst fears, fears he dared not to think about but can no longer ignore. Their miracle is coming, and coming fast. All he can do is watch Yixing whips around in cloud of black silk reaching for his own partner.

 

"Suho, we have to act fast the future heir to the throne will be here come morning"

 

"Sunil must not know any of this you are all sworn to secrecy, no one in the palace can know"

 

"We should move him to the temple, behind the Queen's residence it's derelict"

 

Baekhyun hears an echo in his mind of those despicable words he overheard, over three moons ago, Sunil has always been against him! Since the very first day they were introduced Sunil had been very vocal that he is too young, too inexperienced too be Queen. When Sunil discovered his gift of life, he became even more determined to ridicule the Emperor. Evil was what he wore on his face when they announced they were expecting the heir to the throne. Baekhyun feels another hot tear fast down his cheek, its clear why Sunil is here. He's here to rid the world of him and his baby! Placing a hand on his stomach he calms slightly when he feels a kick back to his palm, he will never let that happen as a daring plan forms in his mind. He just prays that Chanyeol will forgive him, and have the strength to carry on.

 

"No not there, Sunil will be expecting that, the store house is better,"

 

"I agree with Suho, Yixing the store house, its set away from both the Queen's residence and away from the emperor's private chamber and my sanctuary."

 

"Your Grace, Chanyeol had the temple prepared with foods and blankets in case this happened. There is also a hidden pathway out of the palace to safety."

 

"I knew you would say that's and you will need them, but we should head to the store cupboard first, please you have to trust me!"

 

He waits for the two men he trusts as much as his husband, to nod and agree, just in time for that searing clamp around his stomach to force out a second as quiet as possible groan of pain. He closes his eyes as he feels two arms around his back to support him, he can feel his body starting to tremble at the sheer force of the pain both in his body and in his heart at what he is about to request. He spots Yixing from the corner of his eye, as the guards lift him back to his feet. He can see Yixing has his own tear pouring down his check,  if any one would figure out his plan it would be Yixing but he will not faulter, Chanyeol will have his heir.

 

"Draw your swords protect the Queen, even if it costs your life!

 

At Suho's barked command, each of the palace guard surround him, Yixing and the chambermaid and they step out of the bath house. In too what can only be as scene from his worst nightmare. The once beautiful velvet sky, is streaked with even darker smoke, as a haze of orange simmers just above the terracotta tiles of the main palace. Baekhyun can hear swords clashing, the sound of cackling fire and screams of pain and battle cries. He can no longer smell the jasmine of his sanctuary all he can smell  is a miasma of scorched skin, warm iron and the smell of silk on fire. It all breaks his heart as he almost looses his footings but is saved by Suho who catches him before he can fall.

 

"How many guards are left at the palace Suho"

 

"Don't worry about that your grace, the men here will fight to the very end, i promise nothing will happen to you."

 

Baekhyun has never been told the exact running of this palace, he can not help but feel the palace will sufferer expensive damage and great losses. Chanyeol had once told him that he didn't have a massive presence of guards, as he wished for the palace to be a harmonious, but with the palace now under attack he cant help but think this was a grievous error. He knows the closet and strongest warriors are with the Emperor, over a days ride to the north. Suho  has already confirmed as messages has not returned, it makes his heart heavy to realise Suho would of told him if he managed to get a soldier out. It's a somber realisation as he  supports his bump that Sunils campaign of terror will be long over before Chanyeol makes it back.

 

It's only been a couple of minutes, since they left the bathhouse buts its felt like life time to make it too the store house, so quietly as they can they all enter. The hands supporting him gently release him to the bench hidden behind floor to ceiling shelves. Each shelved filled with clay pots of different sizes containing everything from fresh and dried herbs, to dried insects and surplus medical equipment. The adrenaline of making it accosts the courtyard is quickly replaced by his miracles contractions, before he can stop it he pants out in pain.  So concentrated on his breathing he doesn't here Yixing talking to the chambermaid, he can see lips moving but he has to close his eyes as his contraction rips through him. He's lifted flat on the the bench, Yixing's  face comes in to focus above him as  feels his robes being untied. Those cool hands reaching under his modestly undergarments, before he can feel a hand on his most sacred off areas he grabs Yixing's hand and shakes his head

 

"Your grace i must  turn you so i can check how established your labour is,"

 

"Yixing please I can't have that contraction on me again, please don't make me."

 

"Baekhyun, I know its not pleasant you need the aid of male birth tool, you are much to petite to labour with out it."

 

Baekhyun shakes his head, he knows Yixing has figured out his plan and is trying his best to talk him out of it, he will not be swayed. He can feel the tears fall as his heart thumps at what he wants. A Sudden scream that's much closer then it should be penetrates the silence too. He watches as Suho nods to the 5 other men with him. Watching as they instantly start to use the wooden planks of the shelf to block the doors. He watches as Yixing  shakes his head, Baekhyun knows he's pushing his physicians ability but his need to ensure his baby is safe, his miracle will always be his priority."  

 

"I suggested the store house as I know there is ice and clove oil here!"

 

"Your grace please, I know I have shown you the scrolls on possible alternatives births, what you ask I have only seen it performed on horses."

 

They both turn to the guards who stop what they are doing when they hear a crash much to close for comfort. Baekhyun watches as Suho races to the only window, a high rectangular opening with iron bars. He stands there only for a moment before tuning away and heading straight towards him. Baekhyun can only watch as his loyal companion kneels besides him and grabs a reel of silk unravels it and places it just high enough to cover his modesty. Before resting his hand on the swell of his abdomen, Baekhyun tears up at the clear devastation he sees on his long time companions face.

 

"You can't die, I will never forgive you if you do, Yixing please you have to do it. There are guards trying to barricade the entrance to the Queens palace."

 

Baekhyun squeezes Yixings hand, he is beyond frightened this was not what he imagined would happen, least of all start labour pains almost two full moons before expected. He listens to the muffled sounds around him as he closes his eyes to fight of the trembling of his limbs and the crippling fear that his miracle will be ripped away from him. He calms though when he feels Yixing rub the clove oil in too his stomach and rests the ice against the silk covering him. What surprises him next is the root ginger Yixing has in his hand, it must be too keep him quiet.  Baekhyun shakes his head, but instantly freezes as he hears another crash this time even closer! He knows what ever is happening is close as he can smell clogging oil and warm iron again. What he hears next has him praying that Chanyeol is alive and racing back to the palace. 

 

"Your grace I do not how much longer the men can hold out, I have to go and support them it will buy Yixing time.

 

Baekhyun doesn't want Suho to leave but knows the presence of the remaining highest ranking officer will invigorate the troops. He nods his head and watches with a heavy heart as Suho morphs in to the dangerous captain  he has only ever heard about before he and the five men with him don't use the door they came through, but too a a hidden door at the other end of the store house he never noticed before. The chambermaid he sees out the corner of his eyes, is preparing some items and has blue reel of silk

 

"Can you feel anything Your Grace"

 

Baekhyun turns from the maid to see Yixing is hovering over him, he doesn't feel any thing around his stomach, his back or the top of his thighs. All he feels is the fear desperate need to make sure their miracle survives. He shakes his head, and watches Yixing takes a deep breath, his eyes widen when he hears the voices of men closer then ever before.

 

"Yixing we have no more time, please you have to take the baby, please I beg you protect my baby with your life."

 

"Your grace you have to be calm for me to do this, I promise I will protect the next emperor with my life. Suho will die before he lets Sunil find you. I know I have numbed you but I'm going to place a soaked cloth over you for just a second. It will make you drowsy."

 

Baekhyun no longer controls his tears as he watches as the chambermaid gets closer to him, his heart is screaming that this is wrong. Yet his intuition is telling him he needs to make sure his baby is ok, he can not bare to see that devastation again on his Emperors face should he loose this miracle. He knows he's dicing with death doing this as Yixing dabs a swab of silk with some viscous substance.

 

"Yixing if I don't make it, tell the emperor I love him with all my heart, and that I named our son Jisung a gift of the stars."

 

Baekhyun smiles with relief,  when he sees Yixing nod. He closes his eyes to help calm himself when he sees Yixing move closer with the rag. His panic, pain and despair leaving as the darkness starts to take over his body, all too the sound of his emperor singing.

 

a sky full of stars, 

a sky full of stars,

I'm going to give you my all!

 

 

To be continued...

Please stay tuned for part two