A Traitors Trap

An Emperor’s Heartache

Chanyeol stands surveying the area he stand in, its a rather remote part of his palace. It's an area nestled between the vast palace kitchen and part of the place used for drying out endless amounts of linen! It's quiet here, and rather open to the elements, the courtyard is filled with red clay pots of various sizes some as tall as he is, some much smaller each one  filled with pickled vegetables, soy sauce and ground chilli. The area is surrounded by the same red clay and stone walls as the rest of the palace. Accept this area is mainly used by kitchen staff and the attendants who deal with washing clothing and linen. Here the 8 foot wall is less grandiose then the rest of the palace, missing the gold accents and lacquer of the main palace. It still holds the 8 foot tall Japanese maple gates that separate the palace from his kingdoms capital city. Just these gates lie beyond the grand temples and shrines that make up his main palace, nor do they have the huge stone dragons that that all the mains gates hold. These gates are perfect for moving a small battalion of men with out causing panic in the city, the last thing he wants is too cause panic and alert any of Sunil's supporters that he has left the palace. Taking a moment from the hustle and bustle around him, Chanyeol closed his eyes and breathes in the last of the now rather earthy torch smoke and the subtle hint of cherry blossoms. It not yet dawn but where he stands is a hive of activity. 

 

20 stallions are being fed in one corner, a flurry of eunuchs are rushing to and from one cart, with an assortment of weapons, portable sleeping cots, medical supplies and food stuffs. Sehun stands with 5 men checking over their swords and armour, Suho is assisting 5 more men with restringing bows. Turing to his left he finds the remaining 5 men that will be accompanying him in the race to catch Sunil standing with the only person that has and will ever take his breath away. Flowing pistachio green silk robes highlight the much more noticeable bump that is home to their miracle, it's an hour before dawn yet here stands his very pregnant husband handing out hot tea. Knowing his husband this isn't just any tea, it will be a handcrafted tea. One that is meant to sustain everyone on their ride across his kingdom, and give strength as they face one that was once a valued member of the council. He knows that his little dove woke before him this morning and made this tea personally when he should of been conserving his energy.

 

Chanyeol can feel how a very large part of him wishes they were back in his private room, his delicate little dove encased in his arms. It's the only time he knows Baekhyun lets his guard down and finally rests, it's  where he can feel their entwined hands rest against their rather active miracle. it's a wonder his dove gets any rest! Not to mention the return of his nausea, his little dove is courageously battling through all hours of the day makes him feel so helpless when  he can't do more save for holding those luscious locks away from his face. All Chanyeol knows from watching Baekhyun experience this pregnancy is that it's truly his precious dove that is the strongest one between them.

 

He continues to watch his little dove like a hawk, even from across the courtyard he can see the winces his little dove thinks he doesn't notice! Every move his husband makes is accompanied by one of those dainty hands rubbing the lower part of his back. Even with the back pain he knows his dove is in and hiding, Baekhyun looks simply radiant!  The pale green robes  really bringing out the sparkle in his eyes,  and highlight his luminous pale complexion against the early pre dawn night. Chanyeol knows his thoughts on the way his husband look border on inappropriate, even with the adrenaline of finally catching Sunil flowing though his veins. He would much rather use that adrenaline in helping his husband to relax.

Something painful blooms in his heart as he watches every move his husband makes, yes there are soft  smiles and gentle giggles now. Those smiles and giggles don't hide the clear unease his little dove has hidden underneath them or the pain of their loss. Chanyeol truly isn't looking forward to being apart from his dove for  possible 5 days it may take to bring Sunil back, he and his little dove  haven't been apart for more then 24 hours in the few years they have been together. In fact a there's a big part of him that thinks leaving his dove in the palace with out his immediate protection is very bad move.

 

"It amazes me how radiant the Queen looks even after every thing he has been through recently. I promise you My lord I will not fail to protect him!" 

 

"He has always been beautiful, even when he cried out in wretched pain he was the still the most beautiful creature! I do not doubt your skill Suho, not at all there is no one else I would entrust my beloved safety too."

 

"I know your grace, I also know that you don't really want to leave the palace but will because it is not just your duty but because you want justice for what Sunil has robbed you of."

 

"They why do I feel so anxious to leave him behind. Suho there's this strange sensation in the pit of my stomach and my heart that demands I stay here!"

 

"It's because it will be the longest you have ever been apart my king. Beakhyun you know will not want to be a part from you either, you do this for him and your country!  We all understand that most of all Baekhyun he will settle once Sunil is in chains behind bars."

 

"My King?"

 

Chanyeol turns in an instant to face the owner of that beautiful soft voice, he can't help but feel his heart break at the crystalline tears he sees forming in his precious doves eyes.  He goes to pull his husband closer for comfort but stops at the tiny shake of his husbands head, confused slight at why until a familiar jade tea cup is held up in two trembling hands. It's the tea cup his husband favours, the on inlaid with enamelled pink rose petals a gold trim that snakes around the tea cup  in the form of a majestic dragon. It's the wedding gift he gave his little dove, for him to use it now is Baekhyun's way of giving him his blessing to leave gently he takes the cup from those dainty hands. The smell of matcha, ginseng, rose and-  hint of fennel reaches his nostrils, a blend he knows his husband has crafted with the utmost care to provide vitality and nutrients for the long ride ahead.

 

"Promise me that it will be no longer then 5 days, Chanyeol you can't die either! I will never forgive you if you do!"

 

"It will take more then one man to take me away from you little dove."

 

"It had better! I have instructed Sehun that he is to send a messenger back to the palace,  the instant you get a scratch. I must be kept informed of your safety at all times." 

 

Chanyeol cant stand the distance between them anymore, he gently passes the cup in his hand to Sehun, who has quietly appeared beside him. Before taking a step forward and placing one hand on Baekhyun's stomach, instantly feeling calm when their miracle kicks against the taunt skin of his husbands stomach. He places his second on delicate pale cheek. He is not the only one unable to bear the distance between them, all he can do brace himself as his petite husband lets out a cry of displeasure and launches at him.  Never one to deny his love anything he willingly accepts the passionate kiss of his little dove who throws his arms around his neck at the same time.

 

All to soon this little dove pulls away with a one crystal tear falling from his eyes, Chanyeol truly hates to see Baekhyun cry. He watches as Baekhyun shakes his head slightly and takes a deep breath before he addresses Sehun.

 

 "Sehun please keep my lord as safe as possible, once you have Sunil in chains send a messenger so I can have the prison cell prepared and the bath houses heated for the men." 

 

The next thing Chanyeol watches is Baekhyun ever so slowly remove the white jade hair pin from his head, and slowly hand it over to him. Chanyeol feels his heart swell with unconditional love, he's surprised his little dove knows of this tradition where each queen  offers a token to ensure the return of the emperor. He truly is touched by the gesture and places his finger against those rose bud lips, they both know if they say any more he won't leave. It's also creeping that much closer to dawn and the element of surprise will of well and truly passed. Baekhyun to seems to understand this too as he nods softly,  and takes a step to the side to stand with Suho.

 

Chanyeol nods in the direction of Sehun, who simply whistles to gather the attention of the 15 men in the courtyard. With all faces on him its time to signal the hunt for Sunil has begun, not wanting to alert those of the council who remain loyal they agreed it would be a simple unsheathing of his sword. On doing so he couldn't be prouder of these men. Each one folds their arm a giant their heart in a show of support before line by line they each take a horse. He and and Sehun are the last to mount their horses as he takes his place at the front, passed his soldiers and five of the eunuchs that will act as ground support for the next five days. He turns one last time to glimpse  his beautiful little dove  standing proud on the Dias, it's a vision that gives him strength and the knowledge that this whole ordeal will soon be over. With his  renewed strength, he signals for his party to move forward into the sunrise.

 

Six Hours Later

Chanyeol can sense something is very much wrong, they are only half a mile away from the temple that Sehun confirmed Sunil was last spotted. Yet there is not one sign of any of the royal guard, it's also eerily silent there's no bird song, no sound of crickets, there isn't even the sound of leaves rustling.  It doesn't settle his nerves when he notices that  Sehun too seems to be agitated.

 

"Something is not right, Chanyeol perhaps you should wait her for my signal that all is ok."

 

"Sehun, pick three of the best men here and we will ride on ahead."

 

Using what Sehun would call his stern tone, he waits only a second for Sehun to nod, before he is ordering the men to stop, that prickling sensation he has of something not being right increases ten fold when he gets a subtle whiff of burnt wood and the faintest hint of iron.  Something is indeed very wrong and not wanting to be caught in the middle of a forest unprepared he turns to Sehun. Who he finally notices is already arranging the men to guard the eunuchs and supplies. It's times like this that he is grateful for Sehun, his years of experience as his personal guard has seen them fight for causes they both strongly believe in. With Sehun mobilising the men into action it makes him  trust his senses all the more. Catching said mans attention he watches as Sehun barks out one more round of commands before he and the three men he requested move to into position to support his own flank. It's all he needs to pull on the reins of his horse and gallop the last half mile to the temple.

 

It only takes Chanyeol a couple of minutes to get to where the smell of scorched earth is highest, it's too the left of the temple and still considerable distance from the temple. His heart sinking at what he finds, he completely zones out Sehun's barked commands for one man to head on foot to the outside perimeter of the temple, and his demands of protect the emperor. Hes too busy hopeibg for a miracle as  jumps down off his horse. It's a horrifying yet obvious scene, several bodies lie around what was once a camp fire, simple clay  utensils lie amongst the dead. As he gets closer it's becomes more apparent what's happened

 

Needing proof he reaches down and turns one of the bodies over, and is met with the unmistakable smell of vomit and foam around pale lips! Sheer anger pulses within him, whirling around at the sound of footsteps he comes face to face with Sehun who gasps when he too sees what's happened. His men have been poisoned. 

 

"Poison?"

 

"Yes!"

 

Chanyeol watches as Sehun moves between the body for any kind of clue, whilst he's not sure what to be more angry at. These men are palace guards, they are the most elite men of his imperial army yet they have all fallen at such a simple trick, the sound Sehun's roar of frustration is all he needs to know. 

 

"My lord I beg you when this is over strip me off my title I am unworthy to protect you when my own men fall for such a cheap trick"

 

Aghast at such a request, Chanyeol makes his way to Sehun and places his hand on his shoulder. 

 

"Sehun you are more then just my personal guard we have grown up together and are as much a part of my council and court. You, Suho, and Yixing armed the only people I can truly trust! We are fighting for something far greater then Sunil will ever understand!" 

 

Chanyeol watches as Sehun nods his heads, in doing so his shoulder pads catches a glint on the floor. He frowns when something highly irregular catches his attention. Beside the fire is an object more fitting to the temple then a group of soldiers it's a highly ornate cobalt blue jug. He goes to pick it up but his hand is slapped away, instead he watches as Sehun kicks it over. What happens next confirms his stance when the red wine like substance starts to froth and ooze. Seconds later the solder sent out as a scout returns.

 

"My lord I got as close to the temple as I could! My lord there is no sign of any inhabitants."  

 

A sudden intense burning pain fills his heart, he should of trusted his judgement as the cold hard realisation of what they have done hits him. "This has all been a trap Sehun to draw us away from the palace, what's the one thing Sunil hates the most." It only takes Sehun seconds to realise what he means, Sunil is working with someone within the royal guard it the only possible explanation of the poison they new Sehun would alert him. That Guard would of also told Sunil that once his hideout was discovered that he would want to follow. Deep dread follows that thought as it's clear now this has been a trap!  He's foolishly left his delicate Queen practically unarmed to give chase, a rookie mistake as he too if in Sunil's shoes taken advantage of the palace being with out its top guards! 

 

Whirling around he lets out a sound that can only be described as a wounded animal,  as he whips around in record speed  to mount his horse and race back to the palace. Praying the Queen will be able to hold out until his return.