Disbelief

An Emperor’s Heartache

Still Two days ago.

Sire, which advisor has been championing for Baekhyun's royal status to be downgraded the most!" Chanyeol sinks on to a padded bench raising his head so he can study the three men in front of him. They would never bring something like this up if they didn't have to, yes he may be the Emperor but they all learned to wield the sword together when they were younger. Chanyeol sighs he is fully aware  it's no secret some of his court don't exactly favour Baekhyun as  their Queen, something he continues to shield Baekhyun from, be it very limited council meetings and official events. "It's not so easy Sehun, I have had many groups of people express their concerns about my choice of Queen." "I know you don't want to think someone within these very well protected, sacred walls wants to do Baekhyun any harm.  Sire the poison found is proof enough,  I do not think this threat can be ignored! My lord this is your chance as Emperor to make an example of the culprit responsible, and will cement Baekhyun's place as your one true Queen." 

 

The outburst from Junmyeon,  is not surprising, this is  the man he has trusted above all others  to protect his most precious and sacred love, its an order the man in front of him completes with the utmost care and respect. Chanyeol  smiles, he definitely made the right choice appointing the man in front of him,  despite his outwardly shy and forever calming like presence,  Suho is a military trained assassin, gifted with a bow and arrow. Chanyeol has seen this much shorter man in action, and has no doubt Suho is acutely aware of what is happening when his court is in session, he too being an additional shield of protection. "I agree with Suho, make an example out of this coward, perhaps those that question you will then realise you mean business. Now I'm not suggesting a mass attack, we need to be careful and precise." "Yixing your  daily lessons with Baekhyun begin shortly"  Chanyeol turns to his private physician, "do not mention this attempt to Baekhyun, I do not want him to panic." Chanyeol watches as  both Yixing and Suho nod and bow, one  turning and heading back to his own office, the second to retrieve his most precious charge and him across the palace. "Sire is it wise to keep this from Baekhyun?"  

 

 Sehun watches as Chanyeol gets up and starts walking away from this peaceful haven,  a subtle nod of his head  is all Chanyeol does in invitation that he should follow. "I want to be a 100% sure there is a threat, before I tell him, I don't want him to cower away more, I want my queen to feel safe in his home."  Sehun smiles softly knowing exactly what Chanyeol means, no he doesn't agree with keeping the Queen in the dark at the moment, however understands that in Chanyeol's eyes Baekhyun has suffered enough.  He remembers when they first arrived back, how the young man had refused to come out his private quarters at first!  Even the love at first sight they had for each other, couldn't sway Baekhyun to leave his rooms at first. Sehun would never have guessed that the man in front of him could be so besotted, especially with how different they are, Chanyeol is the embodiment of  what  a raw powerful all alpha male is. Yes Baekhyun is much younger, but his serene nature and gentle quietness, make him wise beyond his years, and the perfect calming presence Chanyeol needs. It had taken the new queen some time to come round to the ways of court, his first official council meeting had ended in disaster, Baekhyun and his suggestion for the palace to have less decadent and excessive food was dismissed without even being discussed. Once Chanyeol had got wind of Baekhyun's lack of support,  Chanyeol had brazenly enforced a new bill that any leftover and unused foods, were to be given to the poor. Sehun remembers how Chanyeol's act in support of his queen had caused uproar, one glare from the Emperor was all it took for the ringleaders to stop their argument against it.

 

Sehun couldn't be any prouder of his best friend, the kingdom he rules over is at its most prosperous, all thanks to Chanyeol's vison of what the kingdom could be, and he certainly lives up to his nickname of the Phoenix emperor!  He is kind, understanding and fair most of the time, a ruthless, dominant and powerful force to be reckoned with when needed. Sehun let's his smiles fall, he certainly can understand the wishes and whispers that falling in love with beaskhyun has caused, he himself has been privy to them, being in charge of the palace guard he took it upon him self to silence those in his ranks against Baekhyun and has banished gossip and hearsay amongst the ranks of the personal guard.  He knows many of the assembly, and wealthy classes, wished their children were the ones that caught the eye of Emperor, He is infinitely glad it was a quiet blue eyed, petite, and gentle kind hearted Baekhyun. 

 

Chanyeol has never been more thankful that Sehun isn't the most talkative, yes he knows it's so the man can concentrate on their surroundings; should the need arise to unleash his impressive and lethal sword skills. He hates to admit that in his 33 years of life, the only man to beat him at a sword fight is Sehun! Sehun has bested him at least twice in all their years training together. A smile graces his face, in his youth he lived for the thrill of a good sword fight, now he has a much more pleasurable thrill that he chases in his rather fleeting spare time.

 

The companionable silence allows him to think more on what they have been discussing, he knows Sehun doesn't agree with his choice not to involve the Queen for now. His precious heart is a sensitive soul, one that he vowed to always protect. Chanyeol will review his decision should there be a need to.  Knowing he is being optimistic, he truly hopes the poison has been found as fluke and no one is trying to poison Baekhyun.  About to ask Sehun to ensure the Queen's guard is filtered with men loyal to his crown only, when up ahead he spots something that is odd, this area of the palace is supposed to private! It's the private entrance way to his personal chambers, and personal bathhouse. Only maids, Yixing, Sehun, Suho and Minseok are allowed entry. There is no need for court officials to be present.  He can see the backs of  the two figures both are acting sheepish, both clearly expecting the area to be deserted as he can hear a rather heated   request for a conversation in private in 2 days time under the cover of darkness, and in this very location! He senses Sehun's change in stance as if he was a lion about to pounce, throwing his arm out he stops Sehun from advancing. No words are needed, as they silently communicate that they will also be here to witness what they have to say.

 

Present time after the hearing the culprits

Chanyeol stands on one of  his private balconies staring at the twinkling stars above him, how he wishes he was as calm and serene as they are, he is desperate to calm down, potent wrath is still coursing through his veins, and will just not repent. He can't stand here he needs to do something before the intensity in him explodes! He turns from the balcony of his private library, a library hidden away in the many courtyards and pavilions that make the royal palace, even his beloved Queen must ask permission to enter this most sacred place.

 

He is still so furious at the sheer audacity of that hooded figure, His wrath and fury aimed at those conspirators is powerful, once he figures out who they are retribution will be swift vowing to show no mercy.  Trying desperately to calm down as he doesn't want to scare his lover, not after what he has just witnessed!  Chanyeol returns inside and  stands looking at his reflection in  a circular bronze mirror, that stands beautifully on one of the tables scattered with star charts. What he sees doesn't surprise him,   even now two hours after uncovering the diabolical truth, his obsidian pupils are still alight with molten intensity! At first he thought his personal physician was out of his mind, just thinking any of the higher tiered court members  were conspiring against the crown is treason. Being caught suggesting it in an audience or in a public place, could earn you a one way trip to the hangman's noose!  Thanks to an archaic act passed some years ago, one that ensured those who had power remained unchallenged due to fear and unjust trials. It's an act that as Emperor, he will be challenging and most likely abolishing in the weeks to come.

 

"Have you regained yourself now my lord," Chanyeol snaps out of the staring contest he was having with his reflection. Not surprised to hear Sehun has returned, the man really does know how to be ninja quiet when it suits him. Turning to face Sehun, "how am I supposed to remain calm Sehun, when I want to execute the entirety of my council, a council who pledged their loyalty to me!" Seeing Sehun wince, he knows deep down that it is not him per se that the council should be loyal to, it's to the crown on his head and prosperity of his kingdom. Sighing and attempting to ease the tension in his shoulders "You don't have to say it, I know, I know the Crown and kingdom first! I know I ruffled feathers with my choice of Queen, as a result I have been asked multiple times to consider an alternative route, one I have refused to consider." Chanyeol shudders, the mere thought of being asked to take a concubine, makes bile rise in his throat! "Do you think Baekhyun is being targeted because he was not chosen by the council?"  "Its  the only possible reason I can think of, I'm afraid that I can not protect him,  I fear there is something I'm missing and that it may cost me his love"

 

Chanyeol suddenly notices that Sehun's arms are full with an instantly recognisable tea tray, a tray holding the ornate jade teapot and matching tea cups, the ones inlaid with pink rose petals," and a gold trim, one that snakes around the tea cups in the form of a majestic dragon. He would recognise this particular tea set anywhere, as he gifted the set to his most precious treasure as a wedding gift. Its also the tea set his Queen favours above all others. It instantly warms his erratically beating heart knowing it's a sure sign his Queen is still awake despite the late hour. "I ran in to Suho in the hallway, It would appear his highness is aware your still awake!"

 

Chanyeol abruptly stops staring at the tea pot, panic saturating quickly through his veins. The tea tray is complete with a plate of delicate honey songpeoyn! The tray can only mean one thing, Baekhyun has been in the store rooms! No no no, this can't be happening, he hasn't had confirmation back from Yixing that the herb stores are free from any poison!  Feeling a gentle hand on his arm. "I know what you're thinking, it's not a herbal blended tea Baekhyun has created, it's just a black tea from the kitchens, one Suho himself watched getting prepared." Chanyeol inhales deeply, trying to steady his elevated heartbeat the acute panic lessons, knowing it was Suho who was dispatched to make the tea.

 

The number of emotions flowing through him today are starting to cause an intense throbbing along his forehead. Chanyeol knows it the rise in his blood pressure at being so angry at the discovery of attempted poisoning.  If he could have his way, all of his council would be disbanded at the very least, and executed at worst. Chanyeol's whole being swiftly overflows with warmth at remembering being told his very reason for breathing is awake.  He has been apart from the keeper of his heart long enough today! Chanyeol has spent the whole day apart from his beloved, dealing with his daily duties of meeting the public, endless scrolls to sign, dinner with an ambassador of a neighbouring kingdom, and finally sneaking around his own palace like a thief in the night. "Suho advised he will keep Baekhyun awake, he is in his private chambers." Chanyeol chooses to ignore the smugness of Sehun's smile, picking up the tea tray he heads out of his private library and follows a path to the residence of the Queen, a path he knows even with his eyes closed.

 

Hi everyone, who excited for the next chapter   

I hope I have done this chapter justice and have portrayed Chanyeol well.