Book 1 - Distant Healing

Welcome to Soothing Hill
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Main Cast: 

Son Chaeyoung, an ornithologist who coming back home after years of living abroad.

Myoui Mina, a genius computer programmer who built apps and a unicorn startup. 

Park Jihyo, Soothing Hill's inn owner. 

 

Chapter 1 

"This is Soothing Hill. How can I help you?" Jihyo picked up the landline.

"Jihyo-ya! It's Chaeyoung"

"Oh, Son Chaeng. Where are you?"

"Just get off the ferry. I'm on my way. I'll arrive in 20 minutes."

"Nice"

"What's for lunch today? I am starving."

"Don't worry, I made your favorite naengmyeon to cool your head off this summer."

"Cool, can't wait! Alright, see you there!"

"Yeah. See you"

Chaeyoung drives all the way from the ferry port to her destination. Cheongsando is a small island. It doesn't take even an hour to circle the small island and back to the original departure. It's been 2 years since the last time Chaeyoung visited the island. Every time she went back to her motherland, she would definitely visit Jihyo's place. Mostly she came home to rest. After 2 years of exploring Scandinavian countries and her Greenland expedition, finally, she came home. It was nice to be back home. She drove all the way from Seoul to Cheongsando.

She arrived at her destination, Soothing Hill. Jihyo already greets her from the front door. She parked the car, got off, immediately ran towards Jihyo, and gave her a big hug.

"Seriously, seriously. Long time no see, Park Jihyo."

"YA, look at you! You're even skinnier this time." Jihyo whined at her.

"I don't like the food there. I miss Korean food. Gosh"

"Come in then!"

Chaeyoung takes off her sunglasses and comes to the house.

"This place doesn't change a bit. Oh! You have a dog now?"

Chaeyoung ran off towards the sleeping dog. A white Jindo dog.

"I picked him up from the shelter 1 year ago while I was volunteering at a shelter in Wando. He's been glued to me ever since. So, I can't help but fall for his beautiful eyes."

Chaeyoung rubs the dog's face and pets the sleeping dog.

"Come, your noodles are getting cold."

"Ya, naengmyeon is supposed to be cold tho."

Chaeyoung came to the house and found another person also staying there. She bows a bit to the latter.

"Hello!"

The other bows back, "Hello."

"This is Mina, she just arrived yesterday. She's also from Seoul," Jihyo introduced.

"Oh, Son Chaeyoung. Nice to meet you" Chaeyoung shook Mina's hand.

"Chaeyoung here is my frequent customer, Mina-ssi," Jihyo explained.

"First time here?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Yeah," Mina replied with a smile.

"I am sure that you will be back here again and again. You'll be falling in love with the island and Jihyo's place."

"You two sit down, and let me serve you lunch there."

Mina and Chaeyoung sit at the dining table while Jihyo is busy pouring the noodles into the bowl.

"Where do you live exactly?"

"I live in Gangnam-gu, but I worked in Seongnam."

"Oh, wow, I live in Songpa. We're practically neighbors then."

Mina replied with a smile.

"There. This one's for you, Mina-ssi, and this one without cucumber is for you."

"Thank you, she must be frequent since you know her things."

"True. Thanks for the food, Jihyo-ya!"

The three of them then eat together at a dining table. The perks of staying in Jihyo's place would be like this. You can't just stay here, but you will make friends, and Jihyo will serve you food. Chaeyoung said too many times that it feels like going to your Grandmother's house while staying there.

"So, what would you do then this time?" Jihyo asked Chaeyoung

"As usual, maybe I am just going to sleep, Jihyo-ya. What will you do, Mina-ssi?"

"I don't have any plans yet....."

Jihyo has often met a person like Mina. Yesterday after arriving at the inn, she didn't come out of her room except for dinner. It's not that she didn't prepare the itinerary, but she's afraid to go outside due to her recent trauma or tragedies, perhaps. Jihyo built her inn for someone like Mina with the hope of alleviating her pain a bit by coming to this beautiful island.

"What did you bring her with you? Aside from your clothes, I mean." Jihyo asked Mina.

"Hemm......Books that I wanted to finish."

"Okay, can you drive a scooter?"

Mina nods.

"Take my scooter to Jiri Beach. There's a cafe by the beach called Bada. It's serene, you can finish your book there. Just follow the map, and you'll be there."

And a person like Mina usually takes the advice immediately since she has nowhere to go.

"Alright then" Mina scratched her back.

"Nice" Chaeyoung smiles with her dimples on.

"Just come back before dinner. Tonight I will cook bossam since you love it."

"I will be back before dinner then."

"Woah, Park Jihyo is doing a request now. She's the best inn's owner you could ever ask for, right?"

Mina smiles at her. Mina heads to Jiri Beach driving Jihyo's scooter. It's so easy traveling in Cheongsando, though it's a slow city and a remote island, the maps service is excellent. It's the best way to explore the island by motorcycle as well. The island is lovely. While driving slowly, you could gaze over the greenery and the rice field.

Mina arrived at Bada, put down her helmet, and entered the cafe. It's indeed a beautiful small cafe by the beach. It's so quiet and peaceful, there are only 3 people at the restaurant. She ordered a cup of latte and sat by the window. She brings a Milk and Honey book by Rupi Kaur. It's been a month since she bought the book, but she didn't have the time to finish it, now it's the perfect time. It's a simple book of poetry a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter