2. Basketball

Persona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
BASKETBALL Chapter 2

 

──────────── ♡❤♡ ────────────

YURI

──────────── ♡❤♡ ────────────



 

[Following day]

 

Yuri pulled her long hair into a ponytail as she prepared for the basketball tryouts. She was a starting player in her previous school, but she told herself that she would be trying out like all of the other players for highschool.

 

She already has a lot of confidence in terms of the sport, but Yuri thought that she needed to be amazing today. She had to prove that she deserves to be part of the team.

 

“Yah! What are you still doing here? We need to get going!” Charlee asked Yuri when she saw the latter still sitting on the hood of her car. Charlee is probably Yuri’s best friend in the world. She was also the shortest on the team, but the fastest among them.

 

Just then her phone vibrated as she received a video call from her mama Dahyun. “Ma!”

 

“We just got home, I thought we’d make it before you guys went to school, but we missed you.”

 

“It’s alright, Ma. Just please take your rest with mom.”

 

“How’s school?”

 

“Ma, I found her!”

 

“Who? Who did she find?” It was her mommy, Sana, who was whispering beside Dahyun, she sounded tired.

 

“Hi Mommy!”

 

“I found my baby…”

 

There was a sudden commotion then she saw her mommy’s face on the screen instead of her mama’s. “Baby, who? Kim Yuri, I told you to focus on studies not girlfriends—”

 

“Hey, hey. Relax, babe. She’s just talking about that childhood friend of hers, Hana, right?”

 

“Yeah! Hana!” Yuri replied with a wide smile. “She’s my schoolmate!”

 

“Well, aren’t you too happy about it?” Her mom asked with a raised brow.

 

“I’m just happy that I will finally get to know more about her, instead of just talking to her briefly!” Yuri defended. She laughed when she saw her Mama doing a ‘fighting’ pose at the back of her mom, clearly trying to cheer her up while hugging her mom from behind.

 

“Don’t worry about your mom, kiddo. I’ll take care of her, enjoy the rest of your day, okay? We’ll see you later!” Dahyun said, then hung up but not after she saw her kissing her mom with so much love that she wanted to puke.

 

She forgot that Charlee is with her right now. “Soooo, childhood friend, huh?” she said with a smirk.

 

“And what about it?” Yuri tried to deflect.

 

“Nothing! I was just curious, what is it with that girl that you try so hard to have her notice you?” Charlee asked, her eyes full of curiosity.

 

Just then an announcement was heard over the speakers.

 

“Calling the attention of all the students who wish to join the basketball team to proceed to the gymnasium right now. I repeat, students who wish to join the basketball team should now proceed to the gymnasium as we’ll conduct the selection process within the next hour.”

 

Charlee and Yuri looked at each other and grabbed both of their gym bags. They ran as fast as they could as they didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to try out for the basketball team. They made their parents promise not to meddle with the try outs because they don’t want to join if it’s because of their family’s influence.

 

As expected, Tami and Jae are already in their respective jerseys. “Yah! What took you so long?” It was Tami who asked.

 

“Yuri was spacing out in the parking lot when Auntie Dahyun and Sana called her.” Charlee said as she started to change into her jersey too.

 

“Aigoo, such a Mommy’s girl!” Jae teased.

 

But Yuri was not bothered by it. Not at all. Because she loved being close to her parents. “I miss them, they are always busy.” She can’t help but pout at the thought.

 

“I sure hope that your fangirls can see you like that.” Tami continued to tease which earned an eye roll from Yuri.

 

“Oh god, her fangirls are crazy. I bet nothing will ever change their mind about supporting Yuri.” Charlee said while looking at herself in the mirror.

 

“Yah! Aren’t you my friends?” Yuri complains but knows deep down that they are only teasing her, and they are all loyal to each other.

 

“Girls? Are you all ready? The try outs are about to begin.” The basketball coach called out.

 

“Yes, sir! We’ll be out in a bit!” Yuri and her friends answered altogether.

 

They all followed the coach out where the rest of the students were and Yuri quickly took her place among the students who wanted to try out.

 

Their school is known for having a balanced curriculum, so the first week is dedicated to filling out the spots for all of the school clubs and getting varsity players. Because of that the whole school will probably watch the try outs just like how the auditions and tryouts of all of the other major clubs are open for everyone’s viewing.

 

As soon as Yuri and her friends came out of the lockers, a lot of the students started cheering for them, but Yuri was looking for a certain girl in the crowd. She was about to lose hope when she saw who she’s looking for.

 

Hana was frowning, clearly being teased by her friends.

 

Their eyes met, and Yuri immediately waved at the irritated girl, and winked at her. This resulted in a lot of murmurs from the crowd. She’s not surprised that Hana just rolled her eyes at her, especially now that her friends more because of Yuri’s action.

 

Yuri scanned the crowd once more and she saw her little sister who just arrived. And of course, Yuna didn’t care that the tryouts would start in a bit, and just continued walking towards her. Yuri opened her arms which made the latter smile widely and ran to her. “Goodluck, unnie! Be sure to win! Because your biggest fan is here!”

 

“Aigoo! I will definitely ace this one out! I have more energy now that you’re here” Yuri said as she kissed her sister’s forehead making the girls swoon more. “Now be a good girl and sit by the bench, okay?”

 

Yuna turned around and glared at the fangirls which made Yuri and her friends laugh. She really is a feisty one.

 

She stole another look towards Hana who was busy using her phone, uninterested by today’s events. She sighed and stopped herself from frowning. She wanted Hana to watch her just like before, but the girl is clearly trying to avoid her.

 

She felt Charlee tap her back and smile at her, “Bro! Let’s get this.”

 

Yuri smiled back as they lined up as the basketball coach started to give them instructions. While the coach is providing them the rules, the crowd suddenly went wild again, which made all of them look at the newcomers.

 

“Do you know them?” Charlee whispered to Yuri.

 

“Those are DoHyun, Mirai, Leo and Lily, and Ichiro.” It was Jae who answered Charlee’s questions. Of course Yuri knew all about them, they are all kids of prominent people.

 

Their coach approached the group, and it looked like he was expecting them to arrive. After their small talk, the group started walking towards them. “I invited them because they will help me decide which students should join the basketball team. I’m sure you all know DoHyun, Leo and Ichiro. They are the ones who lead our boy’s team to victory.”

 

“Annyeong!” DoHyun greeted all of them, and Yuri and the others bowed towards their sunbaenims.

 

Yuri can’t help but look at Hana again, and she sees that the girl is now waving at DoHyun’s group. “Before you die out of jealousy, DoHyun and Hana are siblings.” Jae whispered at her.

 

“I know!” Yuri said and pushed Jae a little bit making her friend chuckle.

 

The game finally started after a lot of introductions.

 

When her name was called, she grinned and ran onto the court, fully aware that she looked ing flawless in her jersey.

 

After all the names were called, they gathered in a circle and put their arms over one another’s shoulders.

 

“C’mon team! We have to dream big if we’re going to make it to the top, where we belong!” Yuri cheered on, which was responded with loud hoots from her teammates.

 

She finally took another glance at the crowd and at Hana, giving her another wink. She looked away even before Hana could even roll her eyes at her so as to not affect her mood.

 

Yuri took a deep breath as the game began, her focus was fixed on the ball.

 

Tami lost the jump ball, but Charlee was quick to steal it. The ten girls jogged into position on the basketball court, and Yuri’s team has this victorious energy. The other team’s center headed her team to the other end for defense, as Charlee passed the ball over to her. She rounded her zone as point guard, shifting her weight left and right on her feet, always ready. Her teammates jogged past her to their designated places, and just as she did a quick feint, she threw a clean shot that shivered right through her but didn’t quell her focus. This may just be the try-outs but that doesn’t mean that Yuri isn’t in it to win it.




 

──────────── ♡❤♡ ────────────

HANA

──────────── ♡❤♡ ────────────

 

It’s early in the morning and Hana is on the worst day ever, in her opinion.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter