16. Misunderstanding

Persona
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
MISUNDERSTANDING Chapter 16

 

───────── ♡❤♡ ─────────

YURI

───────── ♡❤♡ ─────────

 

 

“Why are you so out of it?” Yuri asked Hana when she saw her sitting alone at the cafeteria. She poked Hana’s cheeks because the girl seemed to not hear her.

 

“Oh nothing.”

 

There it is. The pang of jealousy.

 

As soon as Hana arrived from her trip with Jiyeon, she immediately asked her what happened, and the girl just said that she craved ice cream, and that she just bumped into Jiyeon so they went together. Then excused herself to catch up to the last class that she needs to attend.

 

It was fine with her. She can live with it.

 

But then she unintentionally heard Jiyeon explaining to their coach why she was unable to attend her classes and practice. She told the coach that she needed to comfort a friend in need, and that she just can’t leave her friend alone. And now seeing Hana sitting alone at the cafeteria, looking really troubled but not willing to open up to her, opened the jealousy gate of Yuri.

 

It comes in waves sometimes, jealousy. She forgets it's there often but it’s lurking somewhere inside her head and heart. Everything she does for Hana doesn’t have any expectations attached to it, except for one. Hana telling her what she truly feels.

 

It was not some kind of a goal for her, and she is not obsessed with fulfilling her wish whatsoever. But instead, she just wants to know how her friend’s day went.

 

But it’s always as if she should not be part of that inner circle of Hana’s friends. That she’s just somewhere in the middle. And now, it looks like Jiyeon has a better relationship with Hana than her, and there’s always someone better than her, someone she can’t compare to.

 

There’s always going to be someone coming in between them.

 

And she’s not sure how to live with that fact.

 

How can she be someone that she wants to be?

 

Someone that Hana needs.

 

They’re friends, for sure, but what does that actually mean for Hana? Is it that Hana just let her be her friend out of pity? Is it just a short-lived interest?

 

A phase?

 

Getting it off her system was something that she wanted to do, and just when she thought that she’s finally making some progress with it, it got ruined by the people around Hana, especially Jiyeon. She just doesn't get it. Her mind was preoccupied with it, and their coach scolded her a few times because of it.

 

She reiterated that their first game is nearing and that they need to be in top shape.

 

Thinking about what happened for the past hours, Yuri can’t help but sigh.

 

She tried to reprimand herself for being too harsh on her body and mind, trying to fit into an impossible box like a contortionist trying to fit into a smaller box. She wanted so hard to fit in Hana’s group of friends, but it’s becoming harder and harder because of the thought that someone else is taking up the incredibly small space reserved for Hana’s closest friend.

 

“Why do you look so tense, though? You can tell me what’s bothering you. You know that, right?” Yuri tried again, trying to make Hana open up. But Hana just smiled at her and nodded.

 

“Have you eaten already?” Hana asked, trying to divert her attention, and looking around the place, probably trying and failing to look for something to offer to Yuri.

 

Yuri sighed one more time, but it seems that Hana’s mind was preoccupied to notice it.

 

“I just finished training.” Yuri told Hana.

 

Can’t she tell that I’m genuinely concerned?

 

“Do you want to go home now?” Yuri asked Hana again, and the latter smiled widely at her.

 

She stood up and offered her hand to the girl who she cares for the most and wondered how can she tell her that she can be trusted with her feelings too?

 

Hana was surprisingly clingy to her again, now that she mentioned going home.

 

Could it be that someone is bothering her here? Is that really what happened? Is Jiyeon bothering her?

 

Yuri will figure it out later on her own, since Hana seems fixated on not telling her what really happened, and she will make sure that Jiyeon would not be able to get near Hana again if what she thinks is true.

 

She texted Hana’s friends telling them that she will bring Hana home so that they won’t look for her while walking to her car. As soon as they got in, Hana immediately scooted near her and was about to lean on her shoulders.

 

“Baby, are you sure you don’t want to tell me anything?” Yuri tried just one more time.

 

“Like what?” Hana innocently asked.

 

Yuri just smiled, and dropped it, pulling Hana’s head to lean on her shoulders.

 

───────── ⬦⬧⬦ ─────────

 

She was about to go home after a long day, she just finished tucking Hana to sleep because she seemed really exhausted for some reason. But when she got out of Hana’s house, she saw a familiar face, craning her neck to see if someone’s inside the property.

 

“Jiyeon.” Yuri called, looking at her teammate suspiciously. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I needed to return something to Hana.”

 

Yuri looked at the things that she had in hand, and noticed Hana’s wallet in Jiyeon’s hand. Hana must’ve forgotten it when they ate ice cream earlier. But she would never let Jiyeon wake Hana again after she just put her to sleep. So she snatched it from her and examined it, “This is what you need to give her?”

 

Jiyeon was about to snatch it back but Yuri moved away.

 

“I’ll make sure to give it to her, you can go home now. This is what you came here for right?” Yuri said, smirking. But Jiyeon was still rooted in place, her face had this smug look. “What are you waiting for? Aren’t you here just to give this? You definitely achieved your goal, so your work here is done.”

 

Jiyeon placed both of her hands in her pocket, and frowned.

 

“No. I am here because I want to see Hana.” Jiyeon answered confidently which ticked Yuri off, she gripped the wallet hard, as she tried her best to keep her composure.

 

Yuri just smiled and looked up frustratingly.

 

“Too bad, she’s already resting, so you can go now.” Yuri crossed her arms in front of her chest, challenging Jiyeon to try and be stubborn about it.

 

Jiyeon just scoffed and turned around, accepting defeat, but Yuri just had to say her piece.

 

“Jiyeon!” The girl stopped and turned around to look at her, “Stop bothering Hana.”

 

The girl scoffed once more, and said, “Aren’t you the one who’s just bothering her?”

 

Yuri can’t believe what she just heard.

 

“Why? What do you know about us, huh?” Yuri challenged. “Do you know something that happened to her?”

 

The smile that Jiyeon gives off is something that would normally push Yuri off the edge, but tried her hardest not to make any scene outside Hana’s house. She doesn’t want to lose her composure.

 

“That’s none of your business.” Jiyeon said before walking away.

 

 

───────── ♡❤♡ ─────────

HANA

───────── ♡❤♡ ─────────

 

“I know that she came from one of the richest families but Hana’s insufferable! Do you see the way her friends are protecting her? Is she a little kid?” The girl was talking loudly while they were sitting on the school grounds, oblivious of Hana’s presence.

 

She’s used to the popularity and the negative impacts that it has, meaning the unnecessary hate, but she just doesn't understand why they are hating on her, when she’s literally not doing anything.

 

“Plus, do you see the way Yuri was always by her side? It was like she just wanted Yuri’s attention, but she just didn't appreciate her!” Another girl exclaimed. “Yuri’s looking so pathetic because of that.”

 

But she does. She loves the way Yuri is always beside her. And she appreciates everything about their friendship.

 

She wanted to protest, she wanted to tell the girls what she wanted to say, but what for? Would they understand? Would they listen to her? She doubts that will happen.

 

“How could she even do her job as a Vice President when all she does is cling to Yuri?”

 

Am I really clinging to her? Am I really not doing a good job?

 

She hasn't seen Yuri today, because the girl said that she’s busy with basketball practice. But now, hearing those girl’s words, she feels that doesn’t want Yuri to look pathetic. Because she’s the pathetic one. She can’t do things on her own. She knows that her friends are always there for her, but the reason why she wanted to be part of the student council is for her to hone her skills and to finally take on responsibility.

 

Something that she really needs in the future.

 

And yet, as soon as she wanted to do it, someone really wanted to take the very little confidence that started to grow in her.

 

She was about to walk out of there, because she doesn’t want to bruise her ego more, when she heard Jiyeon’s voice. And she whipped her head towards the voice.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter