Chapter 8

Night Drive

“I’m done!” Eunbi shouted as she entered the principal's office, the principal looked over at her with a confused expression.

“I don’t want to teach classroom 7B, they crossed the line.” Eunbi exclaimed as she gave the principle a deadly look.

“Why don’t you try to change them or something?” he responded amused by the situation, it’s not the first time someone came up to him and complained about those students.

“Why can’t you just move me from a different position?” Eunbi asked back, and he gave her a nod of approval.

“I will, if you bring someone that can substitute them.” he gave her a deal, Eunbi sighed in relief but that realivness went away with the next sentence.

“When you find someone to substitute them for 2 days at least, I'll keep you in another classroom.”

“Fine, I’ll start looking.” Eunbi defeatdly said, looking down as she started to walk back to the hell of a classroom she had just dismissed.

“Eunbi unnie!” a shout was heard from behind her, she turned around to the direction of the black haired girl.

“Chaewon, I thought-”

“I was bored and Min convinced me to come back and help.” Chaewon explained.

“He’s smoking again..you can’t smoke in school” Eunbi nagged frustadly as she saw Hyunjung smoking in school again, turning her head over to Chaewon who was calmly lighting up her own.

“Chaewon!” Eunbi stormed, Chaewon sighed as she knew this would happen.

“It’s normal around here” Chaewon answered Eunbi's exclaim as she shrugged, Eunbi sighed, knowing she can’t stop her cousin either way.

“Yah, you can’t smoke here, blow it out.” Eunbi warned, earning a laugh from Hyunjung and the rest of his friends.

“My bad.” He sarcastically apologized before blowing a smoke puff to Eunbi’s face before he could walk away while someone grabbed his wrist.

Eunbi looks over at the person, her eyes widening as she continues to wonder how she even got inside in the first place.

“She said blow it out.” Hyewon spoke sternly, Hyunjung scoffed as he tried walking away. Hyewon took the cigarette from his mouth before putting it in her’s.

Doing the same to what he did to Eunbi, making him let out a cough. Hyewon takes the cigarette out of before rubbing it on the back of her hand to take it out, the friend group gasps before quickly walking away.

“Thank you..” Eunbi thanked shyly, Hyewon let out a soft chuckle as she saw the shy face of the petite girl.

“So, do you have anything to do after school?” Hyewon asked, tilting her head as if she were a confused puppy.

“I need to grade some math tests.” Hearing that, Hyewon frowned slightly but that frown vanished as she thought of something.

“I can help, I was top of my class in math.”

“Fine, come at the same time as usual.” Eunbi gave in, Hyewon flashed her a smile, before quickly shaking those thoughts as she remembered what she came for.

“Anyways where can I find Wonyoung?” Hyewon asked, Eunbi seemed confused but she didn’t want to ask.

“Department of Arts, across from this one, floor 2, room 15.” Eunbi explained, Hyewon gave her a nod before running away.

“I overheard you talking to the principal saying that you need a substitute-” Chaewon started, Eunbi’s eyes slightly widened as she thought about an idea.

“That’s it! I’ll make her a substitute for me!”  

“She doesn’t even have a teacher's degree?” Chaewon said, with a slight confusion in the end, seeming as if she were asking a question. 

“Whoever says the form is going to her’s, I’ll just print a copy of mine with her name on it.” Eunbi plotted with a proud smile on her face.

“I’ll ask her tomorrow! I have a class, see ya!” Eunbi waved at Chaewon as she ran to her next class, Chaewon scraped her nape as she saw the older girl. 

“Poor girl, eh whatever.” Chaewon blew out her cigarette before throwing it away in the nearest trash can.

--

Following Eunbi’s directions, she knocks on the door of the room number before entering when she hears a small “come in”.

“Unnie? What are you doing here?” Wonyoung asked, stopping what she was doing, packing her things away.

“Yujin sent you something, she’s a bit of a coward to come herself.” Hyewon said as she took a small velvet box along with a flower from her bag.

“She isn’t, she’s banned from here.” Wonyoung let out a chuckle as she realized Hyewon didn’t know about her being banned.

“I won’t ask, but here.” Hyewon gestured her to take it to which Wonyoung did, having a smile creep up her face as she saw the two items.

“Can you help me confess to her?” Wonyoung asked, being embarrassed by the question. Hyewon leaned over a desk as she gave her a nod.

“Yeah sure, when?”

“After school?” Wonyoung slurred, as she hoped for it to be as soon as possible, since she has been bottling up her feelings for too long.

“Alright, I’ll pick you up from here and we’ll talk from there.” Hyewon suggested, Wonyoung gave her an excited nod as she heard the suggestion.

--

Eunbi sighs as she enters the classroom again, her eyes peeping over to the door as she expected for Hyewon to arrive any second.
Taking out the tests from earlier, she sighs in disappointment as she feels like she failed to teach them.

“You’re not a bad teacher, they just need someone to understand them.” She feels a hand slowly massaging her shoulder, Eunbi looks up to see Hyewon looking down with pursed lips.

“Sit here,” Eunbi pats the seat next to her, Hyewon obliges her and sits next to her before Eunbi places half a seat to her.

Once in a while, the two of them would take glances at each other even sometimes find each other taking glances at each other.

“So all your students have less than 6 out of 30?” Hyewon asked in shock as she saw all the responses, Eunbi sighed and nodded.

“About last time-”

“I need to get these to the principle, you may leave if you want.” Eunbi grabbed the pile of papers before heading over the door.

“But I need to tell you something-”  Hyewon got cut off by a sound of the door being shut, Hyewon couldn’t help but a sigh escaped her lips.

She couldn’t do much if the older one didn't seem to want to talk about it, and so she left instead and went to go pick up Wonyoung from the other department. Hyewon takes Wonyoung to Yujin’s garage where there is a ping pong table, lucky Yujin wasn’t home and was instead at her basketball practice that Hyewon also needed to pick her up from after.

“Practice that i’m Yujin.” Hyewon suggested as she threw the ping pong ball to Wonyoung using the paddle.

“Damn Yujin, you got shorter.” Wonyoung joked as she balanced the ping pong ball back to Hyewon, Hyewon swung the paddle as hard as she could as she glared at Wonyoung who was moved out of the way of the ball that was about to hit her.

“Hyewon unnie..give me some reasons to love my Yujin” Wonyoung asked for advice as the two took a break. Hyewon leans her head against the wall as she looks at Wonyoung.

“First, why do you love her?” Hyewon asked incredulously, Wonyoung flashed a smile as she slowly looked down.

“She’s pretty, smart...stubborn but I always love her, she makes me happy, she understands me, she’s just perfect..” Wonyoung complimented, Hyewon let out an airy chuckle before leaving them in silence.

“...the way she twirls her hair when she reads..
her gaze when she’s in deep thoughts..
her smile while looking at little kids..
her dreams to find a good person to not be lonely..
Her artistic side with her beautiful drawing like herself..” Hyewon spoke all of a sudden.

 

 

“I’m talking about Yujin not Eunbi unnie” Wonyoung giggles, realizing they’ve gotten off topic.

“I-I’m sorry, I-I didn’t mean that I-I w-was j-just t-talking” Hyewon stuttered coming back to reality, scraping her neck.

“Hyewon unnie, are you in love with Eunbi unnie?” Wonyoung asked, Hyewon got up from the bean bag as she took out her keys.

“Get up, I need to drop you off.”

“That’s what you say when you’re in love” Wonyoung coutinied, Hyewon slowly turned to her with an amused expression.

“I…”