2: Why not?

Symposium

Seoul, South Korea

Chanyeol smiled at his friends before gulping down the rest of his beer. It's been a while since they all got together like that, in their country, in their home. With most of them shipped overseas or to some high-class boarding school, this was a blessing. For the first time ever, they were all going to same school next week. Before the new semester, all 4 of them finally got together.

He filled his glass again and looked at his friends: Do Kyung Soo, or D.O as they called him, was getting into their high class pension this semester. That's how they were able to convince their parents to let them have that party and that Chanyeol was able to attend. He was grounded, for some pretty stupid reason too. He had scared his mom to death by not answering his phone for 3 days while he was in Pattaya with some girl. Oh Sehun, even if he was the youngest, acted like he was older than all of them and was ordering them around like usual. Tonight, he had decided that his life dream was to become a bartender and was mixing their drinks. "With his skills thought Chanyeol, I'm sure he's poisoning all of us" ... D.O was trying to get Kim Jun Myeon or Suho to the bathroom to puke. Chanyeol shook his head: that guy was supposed to be the oldest and had asked them to call him 형(hyeong. Big bother). What a joke.

- Park Chanyeol, 괜찮아? (gweanchanha? Are you okay?) Whispered Sehun to his friend. You don't look like you're... happy.

Leave it to the youngest to always catch on his moods. His friend only used his full name when he was serious. Chanyeol's grip tightened on his glass.

- I'm fine Sehun-ah, he said with a smile. Don't worry and drink more he said pouring his friend another glass of beer.

After multiple drinks, the four friends decided to head back, each to their respective house.

- Oh, Yeollie said D.O laughing. I'm finally going to see that princess of yours soon!! Can't wait!

- Yeah... can't wait he said under his breath, faking a smile.

His princess? That girl was never his to begin with. He was about to hail a cab when Sehun suddenly grabbed him.

- You're coming with me said his friend, holding on his arm like a girl. I don't want to be alone tonight. Come with me Chanyeol 형 (hyeong. brother)!

And he pouted, and Chanyeol finally sincerely smiled. Sehun was never lonely (he had almost 1200 contacts on his phone) and actually never called him 형 (brother) if he didn't want something.

- Okay ...but please stop with the pouting. What are you? A girl? You should know by now that it does not work on me.

The two friends got in Sehun's car after debating on who should be driving. Chanyeol could never win an argument against Oh Sehun, but he refused to get in the car if he was not the one driving. He drank way less than his friend. Sehun got in the passenger seat, pouting.

- Sehun-ah, you should really let me....

- I'm not drunk Yeollie... not yet.... I wanted to drive, and you were supposed to talk.

Chanyeol opened a large mouth before closing it. So, his friend could see pass his fake cheerful smile?

- Rumors have it that she is seeing someone her parents picked for her and that she's into him.... Is that why you're depressed? Or the fact that she's not answering to your texts?

- No... I mean... I don't know...

He looked straight ahead, without really seeing the road and clenched his fists on the steering wheel to control the urge to slap himself silly. How could he do that again? The first time he had saw Kim Ye Jin, it was like the world had stop. He had fallen in love in the spot. He did his best to get notice by the girl, but she never even said hi to him. They finally got assign to do a project together and he got her phone number. But she never answered his texts back and started showing interest on one of his friends. He felt a hand on his cheek and turned questioning eyes to Sehun.

- You're crying said Sehun showing him a tear on his finger... but you should not.

His friend was mad, Chanyeol could sense it at the way he was pursing his lips.

- You don't need to get that mad Sehun-ah; it will go away with time. It always does and...

- Park Chanyeol!!!!! 조샴해! (Josim hae! Watch out)!!

With Sehun's yelp, Chanyeol turned to the road but closed his eyes when rain suddenly hit the windshield. In that instant, he lost the opportunity to evade a newly broken-down car without its lights on. Even if he'd been paying attention, he would have been hard pressed to make the maneuver. As it was, he barely had time to scream before the air bags knocked his back and sideways. The car tumbled over and over into the central barrier before coming to an absolute stop. Silence; it scared Chanyeol more than the pain. Shouldn't Sehun be calling out or ? He tried to move but he was pinned by the collapsing roof and the steering column. His neck was too fragile to move...

At the last second, Sehun jumped. His body hit the hood of the car and he screamed. His bones and muscles and joints and organs felt like they were being crumbled and smashed into a tiny box. His lungs contracted with such force that he was afraid they would fold into themselves. His torso and head smashed up against the windshield while his arms and legs were flailing, searching for somewhere to hold and stop the forward movement his body was going. The world must have kept flickering its figurative light switch because his vision kept flashing from bitter darkness to blinding white light. The only sound that filled his ears was the crushing of glass mixed with the distinct crackle of his bones. Then suddenly, everything became light. He was flying through the air, his broken body almost limped from the impact that occurred nanoseconds before. 젠장! (Jenjang! )! He thought; he should have put his seatbelt on.

The car had flipped so many times that Chanyeol had become disorientated before he even sustained the concussion that had him drifting in and out of consciousness. He was fleetingly aware of the bloody taste in his mouth, but he couldn't figure out what it was. At times, his eyelids fluttered, and he thought he must be at home in bed because it was so dark. Then why the cold and the sound of rain on metal? Why the pain, God, why so much pain? Then came a blue flicker, the sound of sirens, wait, the police? No, it was not the sound of sirens, it was more like a whistle and what was that blue light?

He made a final effort to seat up, biting his lips to retain to cry of pain that was ripping him apart. Who was that leaning over Sehun? Did that person have wings? And, why was it raining suddenly and.... He opened big eyes, unaware that blood was drifting from his head and covering his face. That wing person was doing something to his baby brother.

- 안돼... (Andwae... don't) ... stay away from him.... Leave him alone.... 안돼 (andwae...).

In his head, he was screaming but only a trickle of voice was coming out of his throat. Suddenly, he felt a presence next to him. Did some wing person come for him too? He tried to turn but a hand – fresh and small – was placed on his neck, where it hurt so much.

- If you tried to look, your neck will break, and you'll die like your friend. I don't want to carry your soul, so don't move.

Died? Like his friend? No. He started to sob and tried to touch something, anything, but his hands only met thin air.

- 우리는 살려 주세요 (urineun sallyeo juseyo. Please save us). Please, save us... he can't die... I can't live if he die! He begged. I'm going to turn and...

- Just stop that! The voice snapped at him. I just told you that I don't need the extra work! Stop being stupid and just blame your friend for not wearing his seatbelt!

- No! 안돼! 안돼! (andwae). Sehun-ah...

A huge sigh escaped the person next to him and then, a sudden giggle was heard. That made him wanted to cry more. They were dying, and the person was laughing?

- I'll help. I can't stand working with Leo anyway. You owe me one so just don't freaking move until someone find you. Deal?

Before Chanyeol could even say anything, something really soft passed next to his cheek and he closed his eyes. When he opened them back, he saw a huge pair of wings, one white and bright and the other one black as the night and their laughing master, dragging another wing person, but with an all-black and smaller set of wings, after him. Then, the blue light became so bright that it was unbearable. He closed his eyes again to reopen them on the rain falling on the top of the celling of the car, him still on the cold ground, unable to move, looking at the lifeless form of his best friend lying a few feet away from him.

The last conscious thought he had before giving into the darkness was that the laughing wing person kept his promise as he heard Sehun finally in pain.

 

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us."