Chapter 9

Dreams and Passions
Please log in to read the full chapter

After a long tiring day of variety shows, interviews, and photo shoots, Jessica just got home to their dorm. She laid down tiredly on the bed and fell asleep without even taking off her makeup. 

It was still dark but some members were already up, getting ready. Just a few hours of sleep and then their day starts again. The leader was still sleeping on bed, tossing and turning. There was a knock on Jessica and Sooyoung’s room. The tall girl woke up from the very light nap and opened the door. 

It was Yoona. “Unnie,” she whispered.

“Oh?” Sooyoung yawned.

“I’ll be going first. Jessica unnie is still asleep?”

“Yeah she is, you’re so early.” 

“Manager oppa said you still have an hour before to prepare, sleep more unnie. I’ll be going.”

“Yeahh take care,” Sooyoung rubbed her eyes before returning back to bed. She was about to sleep when suddenly she heard a sound.

What the? She thought. Sooyoung doesn’t know if she heard something or it was just her imagination. 

“Don’t…” The girl heard it again. Now, it was clearly a voice and it sounded like… “Sica yah?”

Sooyoung sat back up on the bed and peeked at Jessica. “Are you awake?”

“Hate...me…” 

“What? Sica,” Sooyoung leaned more towards Jessica’s side just to see if the leader was awake or not. Then Jessica tossed and turned to Sooyoung’s side which made her see her leader’s face clearly. She was still asleep and crying.

Seeing this made Sooyoung get out of her bed and went to Jessica’s. She sat beside her with a worried expression. “Sica…” Sooyoung wiped the girl’s tears.

“Please...come back….”

Jessica suddenly lifted her arm like trying to grasp something. She got a hold of Sooyoung’s shirt and held it tightly. “Tae…”

“Tae?” Sooyoung whispered. “It’s been almost a year since she left Sica and a few months since our debut.” She sighed and stayed beside Jessica until it was time to work again.

It was the first time Sooyoung saw Jessica cry in her sleep. Ever since then, she would make sure to check up on Jessica every now and then. 

They were in the middle of a radio show and the host was asking them their favorite songs. A mellow song played and the radio host asked whose song it was.

With a smile, Jessica answered, “This song is Kim Bum Soo sumbaenim’s song called ‘Diary’.”

“This is the kind of song you like?”

“Ah yes, this was the song that I was so in love with.”

“I listen to this song when I’m sad,” Jessica continued. “It’s a song that means a lot to me...” 

She paused for a second, “Someone...Someone introduced this song to me.” 

“Oh this song?” the host asked.

Jessica bit her lip and nodded with a polite chuckle. 

“When do you want to listen to this song the most?”

“I hear it a lot as a trainee but when there are times of sadness, that’s when I listen to it most.”

“When the tears would come and you’re exhausted?”

She nodded again while biting her lip and smiled after.

“Many people can understand that. Let’s go to the next song now.”

Another song was played as Jessica looked down on the radio script she’s holding and exhaled quietly.

They were going back to the car, Jessica in the lead. She went in first and sat in front wanting to be alone. She was sure Sooyoung or Tiffany will try to talk to her when they get the chance. Sooyoung became suddenly worried over her and constantly checking up on her which she found confusing. Why did her member start doing that? There wasn’t anything that happened to her, not lately anyways. She didn’t tell them anything. Tiffany was being Tiffany, just so caring and acting like their manager.

She was getting comfortable on her seat when the members got in one by one.

“Yah Sica, you were in the shotgun seat earlier!” Hyoyeon whined.

“I got here first.” 

“But I get car sick easily, you know that.” 

Jessica sighed. Great, she thought.

“Just let Sica sit there, it’s just a few minutes drive.” Yuri said as she moved past Hyoyeon and sat besides Tiffany.

“Girls come on, get inside the car now.” Tiffany said. 

“But,” Hyoyeon didn’t get to continue her words as Sooyoung interrupted.

“Yah Hyo just get in. Leave Sica be.”

“Fine.”

Jessica put her earphones in and played ‘Diary’ blocking out the real world around her.

All seven members sat in a circle inside the practice room and were having their so-called 5-minutes talks. They were talking one by one saying their genuine feelings for the last few minutes. This 5-minutes talk doesn’t really last for only 5 minutes, it usually lasts longer than that. 

“I just worry for unnies who have lots of schedules on their plate and don't have time to rest.” Seohyun said softly.

“Aiyyo, our maknae.” Hyoyeon patted the maknae’s head.

“You also have packed schedules, you know?” Tiffany said while giving Seohyun a motherly smile.

“Yeah but when I see your tired faces, I get sad…” The maknae glanced at Jessica, “Especially, Sica unnie.”

Jessica raised her eyebrows, surprised by hearing her name suddenly. 

“What about me?”

They all turned their attention to their leader.

“Are you okay unnie?” Seohyun asked.

“Of course I am. Yoona probably has it the hardest among us with having drama and stuff.” 

“I’m okay unnie. I have you guys to cheer me up.” Yoona said, “But you don’t really tell us anything now, that’s why we’re asking how you are.”

“Our schedule is hectic, everything’s hectic but I’m doing fine.” Jessica smiled, hoping to ease her members’ worries.

“Don’t you want to share anything with us, Sica?” Sooyoung asked.

“Share what?” Jessica turned to Sooyoung, confused at what she was saying.

“How are you lately?”

“Well, I just said work is busy and I’m fine.” The leader furrowed her eyebrows.

Sooyoung nodded slowly and scratched her head awkwardly.

Tiffany eyed the tall girl curiously and took a mental note to ask the girl later of what it was about.

Tiffany has always been the polar opposite of Jessica. If people describe her as warm and smiley Jessica will be intimidating and the ice princess. But she likes and cares for Jessica despites their differences. They have their own fair share of similarities anyway and that trumps any different qualities that the two have. 

Besides, Tiffany doesn’t think that Jessica is cold. It’s the opposite because her leader was warm and soft. Jessica was strong but sensitive, not what the people would think. When they met as trainees and found out that she’s a fellow american they instantly hit it off with western food, claiming that they both missed pizza and burgers. 

Jessica was straightforward and knows what she wants. She expresses her emotions when she wants to. That’s why it frustrates Tiffany when Jessica decides not to. Because how could she help if Jessica doesn’

Please log in to read the full chapter