/ælˈdɛnteɪ/

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

F I V E

Words of the Day – “Al dente”

 

The slightest movement stirred Miyoung awake. Arms, asleep. Lower back, stiff. Neck, stiff. Everything, stiff. She had fallen asleep while sitting down. Worst thing ever. Propping her hands on her hips, she arched her back until it cracked loudly. She then tilted her head from side to side. Snap. Snap.

She quickly glanced down her phone to check the time. It’s very rare for her to sleep in but today, she sure did. From what she could recall, she was up until around six in the morning studying and everything. Waking up at noon made perfect sense to her.

Her eyes next landed on the black screen of her laptop.

Oh, right, she was also checking a few sales and expenses reports that Doh Kyungsoo had finally emailed to her last night. However, the moron only gave her a few samples of them—not everything, like she originally wanted to. But whatever, it’s only been a little over a week since she got back and she has a lot more time to bother him for the other records she wants to see.

But actually … as much as she hated to admit it, the reports that he did send were picked quite sensibly that she almost didn’t feel the need to ask for more. But of course, he shall never know about it. Over her dead body.

Speaking of the devil, today was another chance for her to tour the restaurant and get to know the place better—from the menu to their day-to-day operations. Her father was away on a business trip. Not that she wasn't allowed to be there but she just felt a lot more comfortable going there without getting interviewed by her father once she got home.

Not even bothering to come down for some much-needed food first—according to her ever-growling tummy—she went ahead and got ready to leave as she takes forever to get ready all the time.

 

 

She checked herself one last time on the rear-view mirror, adjusting it to her comfort at the same time. Finally, she is able to drive herself around now after renewing her license. No more stupid drivers having to follow her around and making her feel some type of way as if she’s not allowed to take her sweet- time.

There shall be no time limit for shopping and she prefers picking her outfits alone without a creepy dude following behind all the time. Seriously, she appreciates the thought of helping her with the bags but still—it was making her uncomfortable.

Perhaps it was due to the fact that she had been living quite independently in Canada for the last six years that she’s not used to being protected like that anymore. Not that she ever needed protection at all.

She arrived in the restaurant shortly and it was the first time she’d seen it in real action. It was past lunchtime and it wasn’t as busy as she wished it would be. It seemed like the staff were getting ready for dinner seating and the bar was opening—she hadn’t seen the bar opened yet. She had only been here once so far and it was early in the morning.

Speaking of the bar—ooh la la—who was that?

White button-down shirt tucked in some tight-fitting jeans; sleeves folded up to the forearms. Suspenders and a half bistro apron wrapped around the hips. Without any hesitation, Miyoung approached the man who was currently leaning by the bar while wiping its surface with a cloth. “Uhm, hello?” She poked the guy on the arm.

The man turned to her, his side-swept bangs softly brushing over his eyelids from the impact of his movement. Miyoung felt the weird sensation in her groin when she locked eyes with him. The sensation is strictly all physical—well, that’s all she could have as of now as the man is a complete stranger to her. A lopsided smile formed on his mouth and she had to take a step back to keep her balance.

Unknowingly, she started reminiscing her first ual encounter approximately five years ago when she was new to Canada and she got a little bit tipsy with a university friend—and something or things happened for the first time. But being the responsible chic that she was, she never did it again.

Actually, that was a crapload of bull.

She did it a couple more times, but sober. However, she never really dated anyone seriously. They were all nothing but hookups and flings for her, just for the experience and experimental purposes. She was an adult, she was allowed to do whatever she wanted with her body as long as she was smart with it. That was what she would always tell her university friends who always tried setting her up on real dates that required real emotions. But one thing she was sure she shouldn’t be doing right now was to commit to a relationship when she wasn't even close to reaching her goal yet. A boyfriend could wait. Well, at least she hopes so. She didn’t really plan on being alone forever. She may seem like it right now but not forever.

So, once again, ooh la la, who was this? She wasn’t, in any way, deeply interested in him. She just found him attractive. Other than that, she couldn't really feel or read any other vibe from him aside from his looks, unfortunately.

“How can I help you, ma’am?” His voice was cheeky, very boy-next-door vibe if that even made sense, it did in her mind, nevertheless.

“Are you the bartender here?”

The man squinted at the bar, towards the other guy who was inside, organizing some bottles of alcohol on the shelves. “Yeah, I’m the head bartender, ma’am. Is there anything you need? We’ll open soon, it’s still quite early but since you’re pretty, I can serve you some good stuff a little earlier to get you started. Don’t tell the boss, though.” His voice swayed like smooth yet spicy vodka down .

Is this guy seriously doing this during his shift? Does he do this a lot? She found it very inappropriate.

There is a whole mass of handsome flirt in the restaurant that she will later be taking over!

Miyoung sneered in disbelief, looking away to hopefully hide the unsolicited heat filling in her cheeks. “Well, I don’t know if I can keep that from your boss. I live with him. He is my dad.” She revealed with a grimace.

There was a fleeting silence as the man looked at her, surprise manifesting in his expression.

“Oh shi—” He unconsciously shoved the dirty cloth against his mouth. He quickly realized it and threw it on the table while gagging in disgust. “Miss Ra Miyoung, right?” He laughed nervously, looking fully aware that he may be in trouble. “I’m so sorry about that, I wasn’t trying to be a creep, I don’t always do that. I promise. Uhm, I’m Byun Baekhyun. Hi.” He offered a handshake leaving her dumbfounded.

Is he from somewhere else by any chance?

“Oh, wait, no. Why am I doing that? Uh—” He retrieved his hand quickly before bowing politely instead. “Hello, nice to meet you. I’m so sorry.”

She nodded, still with a steady expression. “Nice to meet you but I hope you don’t do that again. It’s not professional, is that understood?”

The man stood up straight with an unreadable smile on his face. “Wow.” He quietly said, his mouth barely moving. “Excuse me?” Miyoung raised an eyebrow at him as she switched her ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter